• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggs&Bacon

Can anyone that's had a medical in Swindon, tell me what the process was please. Also how did you go dressed.? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam00086

Can anyone that's had a medical in Swindon, tell me what the process was please. Also how did you go dressed.? Thanks.
Mine was in reading but I guess it’s the same process, they do eye check/colour blind test, hearing check and ECG, then the urine test which is sent off for D&A. They also ordered my uniform, I was able to try on the different things to see what size I would need. I wore shirt tie and trousers.

Eggs&Bacon

Mine was in reading but I guess it’s the same process, they do eye check/colour blind test, hearing check and ECG, then the urine test which is sent off for D&A. They also ordered my uniform, I was able to try on the different things to see what size I would need. I wore shirt tie and trousers.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Stigy

Established Member
I had mine in Swindon. It’s much the same as Liam says, although the Doc I had, mentioned my BMI and said he wanted me to lose some weight etc etc. He signed me off fit though so it wasn’t a big deal. I knew I was overweight, although generally fit and healthy. He said he wanted to see me in 3 months, but that was never going to happen. Surprise surprise, 9 months in and I’ve not been back :E

I went in shirt, tie and trousers although I soon disregarded my tie as it was hot and stuffy in there. You’ll be removing your top for the ECG/BP a couple of times so near this in mind.

Eggs&Bacon

Cheers, did they email you your travel pass and address of the doctor, or send via post.? The lady I spoke with didn't specify. Was thinking of driving to Swindon to be fair, if the Corona virus lockdown is still in effect.

Stigy

Established Member
Cheers, did they email you your travel pass and address of the doctor, or send via post.? The lady I spoke with didn't specify. Was thinking of driving to Swindon to be fair, if the Corona virus lockdown is still in effect.
I was told I’d be sent travel passes to get me to and from but they never materialised. Like you, I was planning on driving anyway so I just didn’t chase them up. Train travel to Swindon is a nightmare for me (or anywhere in GWR land to be fair as I’m based at Fratton which is mainly SWR land).

In terms of details of the medical, these were sent to me through the post, and I received them electronically too. Probably a couple of weeks prior to the appointment?

JunnyT

Congrats to everyone on their successful DMI and being entered into the talent pool!

Is anyone else still waiting on an invite to DMI at Plymouth?

I still haven't received any updates and got the standard response from HR that they are still waiting on dates :'(

Hi,

Im still waiting for my DMI, passed Stage 2 with MMI in January. Guessing this virus is to blame for the delays

Daydr3am3r

Think everything will now slow up unfortunately due to everything going on. All classroom training has been suspended for at least 12 weeks so it will no doubt cause a backlog.

Nonuts

Unfortunately the next few months at least are very uncertain. My course was in week 4 and got sent home for approx 12 weeks. There's whispers that the course due to start next will be delayed so they can socially distance our class based training (group of 12 split into two groups of 6 or three groups of 4!) Hopefully for you that are waiting on DMI the process starts to move quite quickly after the worst is over. No consolation right now but they obviously will need trainees at some point otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money assessing you before this contagion came along.

Busandrail

Unfortunately the next few months at least are very uncertain. My course was in week 4 and got sent home for approx 12 weeks. There's whispers that the course due to start next will be delayed so they can socially distance our class based training (group of 12 split into two groups of 6 or three groups of 4!) Hopefully for you that are waiting on DMI the process starts to move quite quickly after the worst is over. No consolation right now but they obviously will need trainees at some point otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money assessing you before this contagion came along.

I was in week 6 lol, just Interim one to go and we got send home for 12 weeks. Would of been nice to get the last test out the way.

Smith3712

At least there are quite a few of us still waiting! Yes hopefully once this has all blown over things will start to pick up and fast which would be nice.

Mister N

Hi guy's I'm in same position as some others it would seem. Passed MMI in Jan and am still waiting DMI for Westbury. Anybody else in the same queue for Westbury? Any current rail workers got any ideas of when said depot would need new recruits. Any info greatfully received. Good luck to others in same boat.

Xapoz

it’s true. I was due to start May 18th based at Bristol Parkway but this course has indeed been postponed with no new date advised as yet. Understandable though and nothing that can be done. Have friends on 3 different courses, all of which are suspended as you’re aware. Difficult situation but hopefully all back to some sort of normality in the not too distant future

387star

On Moderation
They have been advertising continuously now for almost TWO YEARS for Qualifieds at all GWR depots except Fratton Swansea Swindon and Worcester

Mister N

Yes I've seen that which gives me some hope I suppose but the waiting is a killer. Of course the viris situation isn't helping just gonna have to be patient am I not.

dan2610

Yes I've seen that which gives me some hope I suppose but the waiting is a killer. Of course the viris situation isn't helping just gonna have to be patient am I not.

The waiting is a killer, but for some depots there may not have been any trainees taken on this year regardless of what has happened.

I was told at my interview that my depot had no current courses planned and it would likely be early 2021 before anyone in my pool was called up. I’m crossing my fingers that the pandemic doesn’t impact timings too much, and it’s just a case of sitting tight ready for when the time comes, rather than if.

Mister N

Ah positive thinking Dan I like that. I'm certainly sitting tight too not giving up now. Originally applied Feb 2019 it's such a long process. Obviously the present climate is lengthening the process even more. Hope we both hear something soon I'm still checking emails several times a day just in case better to keep positive I think. What depot are you down for? I'm waiting on Westbury.

dan2610

Ah positive thinking Dan I like that. I'm certainly sitting tight too not giving up now. Originally applied Feb 2019 it's such a long process. Obviously the present climate is lengthening the process even more. Hope we both hear something soon I'm still checking emails several times a day just in case better to keep positive I think. What depot are you down for? I'm waiting on Westbury.

I applied in December 2018, but didn’t actually sit Stage 1 until September 2019. Finally got placed in a talent pool for Penzance after my interview at the end of January this year.

I think every individual case for each depot is unique, it’s just luck or very good timing if you don’t have a long wait. Just because someone at one depot had a long wait, or a short one, doesn’t necessarily mean that’ll be the case for most trainees at that depot.

Obviously, the higher your score, the shorter your wait. But as far as I know, recruitment don’t actually divulge information on talent pool positions, so the only way of knowing if people were called up before you would be this forum, or knowing somebody with information personally.

Daydr3am3r

Just to let you guys know that it looks like being a painfully slow return to work for the trainee groups. This will no doubt have an effect on future courses so dig in for the long run on this one!

Nonuts

Just to let you guys know that it looks like being a painfully slow return to work for the trainee groups. This will no doubt have an effect on future courses so dig in for the long run on this one!

I'd agree (unfortunately). We were week 6 when we were sent home on March 20th. Last we heard there's no sign of us returning and if we do they will probably have to split our group up from 12 to at least 6, possibly 4's to keep us correctly distanced which will take up more course leaders and classrooms or will mean some of us go back to complete the course, then the others after them.

For some of you it may be an idea to ask if any special provision is going to be implemented in relation to how long your assessment centre results are valid for. I believe the norm is 3 years but in these exceptional circumstances they may move the goalposts in line with other Tocs that accept them for 4-5 years... just to cover your bums (if possible) where nobody who's passed wants to sit a second centre due to timing out.

Stigy

Established Member
I'd agree (unfortunately). We were week 6 when we were sent home on March 20th. Last we heard there's no sign of us returning and if we do they will probably have to split our group up from 12 to at least 6, possibly 4's to keep us correctly distanced which will take up more course leaders and classrooms or will mean some of us go back to complete the course, then the others after them.

For some of you it may be an idea to ask if any special provision is going to be implemented in relation to how long your assessment centre results are valid for. I believe the norm is 3 years but in these exceptional circumstances they may move the goalposts in line with other Tocs that accept them for 4-5 years... just to cover your bums (if possible) where nobody who's passed wants to sit a second centre due to timing out.
GWR accept the results for 5 years already.

To echo what you said, this is a pain for everyone and will no doubt have a knock on effect. I just have the sim to go then passout but I’m envisaging August/September at the earliest at this rate. Initially I was booked to take my sim assessment on 1 April and I was expecting to passout this month at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.