• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR withdraw some 800's due to cracks (ORR Report now published)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
I agree. Can you imagine the same philosophy Taunton espouses being applied to aircraft?
It used to be! They were initially built of wood, some even using Balsa for key parts. The whole thing would last for about 4 or 5 years, if that, even with not being used in the winter. It was realised that, for durability, something more substantial was required.

However, I was not advocating US construction standards (which, interestingly, are even built with stainless steel nowadays in Japan and Korea for US operators). I was pointing out that more heavyweight overall vehicles, all other things being equal, ride better. Something to consider in our pursuit of weight reduction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
It used to be! They were initially built of wood, some even using Balsa for key parts. The whole thing would last for about 4 or 5 years, if that, even with not being used in the winter. It was realised that, for durability, something more substantial was required.

However, I was not advocating US construction standards (which, interestingly, are even built with stainless steel nowadays in Japan and Korea for US operators). I was pointing out that more heavyweight overall vehicles, all other things being equal, ride better. Something to consider in our pursuit of weight reduction.

You could theoretically make lightweight stock ride perfectly - you'd have to pay the maintenance for fully active suspension though, and looking at the current output of the rolling-stock software industry I wouldn't touch that with a long pole.

This saga is looking like the result of a lack of rigorous design review. If they'd run their modelling with worn wheels then the other modelling issues might have shown up before they even cut any metal, and with proper handling of stress under all operating conditions then perhaps the SCC issue might not have happened either - or at least not this soon.

PG

Established Member
Same wheelset supplier (and steel) as most other UK rolling stock, the problem is elsewhere...
Ah well yes that is a rather convincing fact which points towards Hitachi being on the hook...

Likewise for my car, I can't stick the cost of any broken springs on an invoice to my highways department at the council, the road is as I find it
If you find the road to be in poor condition and report it then if it deteriorates further you strengthen your case for invoicing the council. Difficult but certainly not impossible to do.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
You could theoretically make lightweight stock ride perfectly - you'd have to pay the maintenance for fully active suspension though, and looking at the current output of the rolling-stock software industry I wouldn't touch that with a long pole.

This saga is looking like the result of a lack of rigorous design review. If they'd run their modelling with worn wheels then the other modelling issues might have shown up before they even cut any metal, and with proper handling of stress under all operating conditions then perhaps the SCC issue might not have happened either - or at least not this soon.

Or better still Hitachi should have shipped over half a dozen assorted fives and nines to test them on our metals. Then when the design was fully ironed out build the production series.

Status
Not open for further replies.