• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have to pay for Zone 1 although I'm not getting off there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shino

I need to travel to Enfield Lock (Zone 6) from Vauxhall (Zone 2). The weekly travelcard would cost me £36.40. However I've been told that, because my journey (on the Victoria line) going past stations in Zone 1, I would also need to pay for this - which would cost me around £53 a week. This is an extra £680 a year. But why am I required to pay for this if I don't intend to get off at any of the stations in Zone 1? Why cant I just pay for a 2-6 travel card?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

Because your ticket must cover the zones in which you travel, not where you board/alight.

Daniel

Established Member
Well you also don't get off at a station in Zones 3, 4, or 5 - but you still need a ticket which covers it - that's how a zonal system works.

34D

Established Member
Why don't you move to near Enfield Lock? I feel for people who travel the 'wrong' way in the rush hour :(

You could go via Clapham Jun/Kensington Olympia/Highbury but that would take ages.

Note that by travelling via zone 1 without a relevant ticket you are liable to prosecution.

benk1342

You could go via Clapham Jun/Kensington Olympia/Highbury but that would take ages.

Checking TfL's single fare finder it doesn't look like that's a recognised alternative route, so the OP would still be charged as going via Zone 1 even if he/she weren't actually doing so.

I suppose with a 2-6 travelcard, though, if the OP stuck to your suggested route he or she would be ok.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder if they'll have to look again at the fare for Highbury and Islington to Clapham Jn once it is easily possible to go two ways, with the ELL/SLL a direct train via zone 1 (because of Shoreditch High St, and the NLL/WLL route NOT via zone 1, but also having direct trains.

(I noticed someone had already worked out the times, (from opentraintimes) and there's only a couple of mins difference between the two obvious LO routes.)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I wonder if they'll have to look again at the fare for Highbury and Islington to Clapham Jn once it is easily possible to go two ways, with the ELL/SLL a direct train via zone 1 (because of Shoreditch High St, and the NLL/WLL route NOT via zone 1, but also having direct trains.

(I noticed someone had already worked out the times, (from opentraintimes) and there's only a couple of mins difference between the two obvious LO routes.)

There's no way they could - if you're not physically getting off a train then you can't be expected to hit a pink oyster card reader, so the cheapest fare has to apply.*

*OxtedL accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of this information.

DavyCrocket

As I understand the Shoreditch High Street being in Zone One was a stipulation from the DfT. I can't recall if this was because of pressure from other train Cos or as conditions of the funding agreement.

NY Yankee

I think you should get a ticket that covers the zones you are going. I'm American, never visited London, but I know some of this. :)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The reason for having cheaper fares for journies that avoid Z1 is to "reward" you for not using the busiest part of the London transport system.

Status
Not open for further replies.