• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you gained or lost weight since the lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
But at least with less visits to Gregg's we've perhaps made a small improvement in the real issue slowly crippling the NHS - obesity.
I've put on nearly a stone. My normal exercise routine is shot and there's nothing even slightly entertaining to do other than eat badly

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While some people are fitter than before lockdown, that is far from universally true! See https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/bbc-article-tips-to-avoid-overeating-during-lockdown.203765/

I've put a chunk of weight on despite having been very physically active, if anything far more so than before. The main reason for this was that there was a fairly long period of time when obtaining preferred fresh vegetables got rather awkward, so while I was home-cooking the sort of foods I normally would, the usual vegetable bulking was absent, so the calories per portion rose considerably - and I'm terrible at portion control so I wasn't eating less.

bramling

Veteran Member
While some people are fitter than before lockdown, that is far from universally true! See https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/bbc-article-tips-to-avoid-overeating-during-lockdown.203765/

And likewise there’s a lot of alcohol being consumed at home and in public spaces IME. That doesn’t bode well from a health point of view, especially if some people develop addiction as a result.

Personally I’ve put a small amount of weight on, which I’d attribute to not having been on holiday (where a *lot* of walking and other active outdoors stuff normally happens), combined with doing fewer walks from home due to these being at times a rather unpleasant experience as a result of being untypically busy.

Not enough to be bothered about though, especially as I’m planning a bit of a holiday blitz in September / October to make up, which will involve a lot of activity.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
The opposite is true for me! Being initially limited to only going out to exercise once a day meant I wasn't leaving the house nearly as often, and even now the normal reasons which would encourage me to be active (meet friends, go on a train trip, go to the pub, go on a shopping trip) are not currently possible so I'm considerably less active than normal, and I know this is true for many of the people I've spoken to recently.

Scotrail12

Not really. I haven't lost weight since I've not been out and about nearly as much as I would be in a normal day at uni but I have at least been getting daily exercise and haven't ate as much junk food (or had any alcohol at all) during lockdown. Overall result is neutral, about the same as in March.

alxndr

Established Member
At one point I was down around 5 lbs, which is 5% of my current bodyweight, and in the underweight range. I was very much struggling with change and found myself unable to go shopping for a couple of months, which certainly wasn't healthy. It was a bit of a wake up call to be honest, to realise how far I'd go to avoid being in a situation where I didn't know what to expect.

I'm currently back to exactly where I was 6 months ago, which is just the right side of healthy and where I normally sit. I feel heavier though as I've not been able to do my normal form of exercise (climbing) and it's too hot to me to get out as much as I'd like. Unfortunately, wandering around here in the middle of the night isn't the safest idea. I should probably watch what I'm eating a little more now that I'm back at my proper weight though, I'll admit that I've been paying less attention while trying to build myself back up. It's also been tempting to buy "nice" stuff now that I'm shopping again after meals of tinned fruit and beans.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yes! I lost almost a stone in the aftermath of a couple of traumatic events a few months ago, and I was beginning to feel quite good about fitting into some clothes that I hadn't been able to wear for ages, but it has all gone back on again since lockdown, plus a bit more. It was enough for me to have to order some new clothes because the stuff I had mysteriously shrank in the wash...

AM9

Veteran Member
Not much change really, probably slightly better exercise apart from the loss of swimming. What a farce that pubs are regarded as more of a priority than swimming pools.
Had no exercise this week as I've got a hamstring injury from a weekend visit to family. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
I've lost a little, I don't own scales, but I'd estimate a few KG. Turns out that not driving past 2 Mcdonalds, a Greggs and a KFC every day has some positive side effects. Though it seems be be gradually clawing it's way back, as I'm countering this with having more snacks available at home.

Bantamzen

Established Member
This is one of the only reasons I might be glad football is back to normal. I would be getting various songs aimed at me regarding my recent pie consumption habits.... :D

deltic

Established Member
No longer walking to and from work (about 25 miles a week) and not eating my usual salad for lunch means my exercise and balanced food intake has gone kaput and have piled on weight. Have tried to go for a few long walks per week but not the same as a brisk walk to and from work.

Bantamzen

Established Member
No longer walking to and from work (about 25 miles a week) and not eating my usual salad for lunch means my exercise and balanced food intake has gone kaput and have piled on weight. Have tried to go for a few long walks per week but not the same as a brisk walk to and from work.

One thing I never really though about was the amount of walking I do to / from / at the office. Its just around a 0.7 mile walk from the station to the office, and being a large site I routinely went for a walk every hour or so to stretch my legs, nine of which I am doing right now.

takno

Established Member
And likewise there’s a lot of alcohol being consumed at home and in public spaces IME. That doesn’t bode well from a health point of view, especially if some people develop addiction as a result.

Personally I’ve put a small amount of weight on, which I’d attribute to not having been on holiday (where a *lot* of walking and other active outdoors stuff normally happens), combined with doing fewer walks from home due to these being at times a rather unpleasant experience as a result of being untypically busy.

Not enough to be bothered about though, especially as I’m planning a bit of a holiday blitz in September / October to make up, which will involve a lot of activity.
I don't even want to count how much I've drunk. 3 beers in the pub as a social celebration turns into 6 at home. And I want a drink at the end of every dismal day at the home office. I've had a couple of decent length breaks just to try and make sure it doesn't turn into a long term habit, but it's pretty much impossible to manage it sensibly when you're constantly playing "guess the length of the lockdown". If it had really been 3 weeks to save the NHS then I'd have been fine, but then it was that, plus another week to take the edge off the announcement of more, then a week's break, then "might as well, it's just another couple of weeks".

martin2345uk

Established Member
I've lost a stone during lockdown, I guess it's to not eating any takeaways, and actually doing some exercise to make the most of the "one a day" rule..!

Vespa

Established Member
I've actually lot weight as I was sleeping more, walking more and eaing more sensibly since the fast food chains have closed for a while.

I hope to stick to it I do miss Wetherspoons steak and pizza, that's pretty much it.

Tezza1978

Stayed around the same as although ive been doing 4 x weights/HIIT workouts at home per week religiously - im doing a lot less walking as part of my job when Im normally on the road at clients, working from home getting boring. Too much beer at home too! Am about 14 stone (nearly 6' tall) and need to lose a stone and a half really!!

route101

Established Member
I've actually lot weight as I was sleeping more, walking more and eaing more sensibly since the fast food chains have closed for a while.

I hope to stick to it I do miss Wetherspoons steak and pizza, that's pretty much it.

How do you find the spoons Pizza? I thought it tasted like an oven pizza

Bishopstone

Established Member
I tipped the wrong side of 14 stone, through a combination of snacking whilst WFH, and the lack of my usual walks to/from stations as part of my commute, which were >3 miles per day.

A focus on walking and cycling from home has improved the situation somewhat.

At least the weather has been generally fine throughout the crisis, and we’re in the season of light evenings. Imagine how lardy we’d all be if the confinement had been November-February, including Christmas fare!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not really. I haven't lost weight since I've not been out and about nearly as much as I would be in a normal day at uni but I have at least been getting daily exercise and haven't ate as much junk food (or had any alcohol at all) during lockdown. Overall result is neutral, about the same as in March.

Same here. Alcohol is one glass or can per day for me, and physical activity has been on a small rise during furlough.

DelW

Established Member
I've lost about half a stone, and reached my target weight (11st / 70kg) for the first time since the early '90s. Having retired late last year, since March I've been walking 5 - 6 miles most days, no meals out or pub nights of course, and mostly eating home cooked (small) meals on my own (I've been to one "garden party" and one barbecue, each with a small group). For years I've restricted alcohol to weekends only (except for special occasions), and I rarely drink more than one bottle of beer or one glass of wine at home. I've managed to cut out crisps by never having them in the house, so my only snacking sin is occasional chocolates.

underbank

Established Member
I've lost two stones since February. I used to drive to work and then buy unhealthy lunches/snacks. Due to covid, my favourite junk food shops have been closed so I've got into the habit of taking a much simpler/cheaper packed lunch. Due to the good weather, I've been walking to/from work. I feel far healthier than I've felt in years. I'm now trying to control myself now that my junk food shops are open again, so far so good, I've managed to avoid temptation. Saved hundreds of monetary pounds too, as well as weight.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
About the same for me.

I've really had to go out of my way to do extra exercise, such as going for long walks, to replace the exercise I'd naturally get through going to work, and playing football. I've been lucky in that I have been able to do this.

However I know some people are really struggling to do as much exercise as they were before, and some who have now got more free time to do more exercise. I get the impression there are more people in the putting on weight category, than the reducing weight category though.

talldave

Established Member
I've lost two stones since February. I used to drive to work and then buy unhealthy lunches/snacks. Due to covid, my favourite junk food shops have been closed so I've got into the habit of taking a much simpler/cheaper packed lunch. Due to the good weather, I've been walking to/from work. I feel far healthier than I've felt in years. I'm now trying to control myself now that my junk food shops are open again, so far so good, I've managed to avoid temptation. Saved hundreds of monetary pounds too, as well as weight.
That's a great outcome; don't let the bad habits creep back again. You've lowered your chances of dying from Covid too!

Yew

Established Member
That's a great outcome; don't let the bad habits creep back again. You've lowered your chances of dying from Covid too!
Indeed, that's the risk.

I've substituted some of my previous snacks, with new ones that are more easily available, and I've certainly noticed a turn for the worst (less good, at least) in the last few weeks, so it's time to try and put a pause on that

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I couldn't resist eating a bar of chocolate this evening and I had done no exercise (I cycled to work but that doesn't count!) so I did a 2km run at 23:30. Only a short distance, but I did average 11kph. I feel a lot better after that!

I never used to go running before this, as I felt I did enough running through other activities anyway.

If anyone is struggling for motivation, go for a long walk and either listen to music or arrange to phone someone to engage your brain.

I've spent up to 4 hours walking and talking, covering up to 20km, and it really didn't feel that I had been walking for anywhere near that length as I was so engaged in conversation.

I'm probably going for a walk & talk tomorrow; if anyone is struggling for motivation and would like a chat while walking tomorrow, get in touch and I'll give you a call.

I haven't updated my signature in weeks; I'll aim to do that tomorrow...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is one of the only reasons I might be glad football is back to normal. I would be getting various songs aimed at me regarding my recent pie consumption habits.... :D
Did you eat them all? ;)

johnnychips

Established Member
Lost half a stone owing to much more walking, just to get out of the flat. If the pub had been open I would have gone there.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Lost over two stone with much more control over my diet and exercise without the 90minute each way commute. I despise working from home but there is a silver lining in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.