• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Trip the North West this weekend

Friday:
Nothing on SWR, checked on the London Northwestern service on departure from Euston (gateline was open). Guard caught at least 2 people out without tickets, no sign of guard afterwards

Saturday:
Nothing on London Northwestern to/from Liverpool, TPE was 1 check out of 4 trains (Newton Le Willows - Liverpool)
Had a single revenue check on Merseyrail (think they caught a few out without tickets/feet on seat owing to the time they took getting from one end of the coach to the other)
Surprised that barriers were in use at Crewe at 06:10

Sunday:
Nothing on both TfW services to/from Manchester
TPE to Sheffield, sat in front unit (I can't help thinking if TPE/Northern employed more staff to solely be ticket examiners for the front unit of non-gangway stock they will easily make money, certainly when a pair of 185s rolled in at Huddersfield bound for Hull there was a lot who walked forward to ensure they boarded the front unit, barriers wide open at both Huddersfield & Dewsbury). Checked between Huddersfield & Dewsbury on a 802, but not back towards Manchester. Checked by the Northern guard on the 158 towards Huddersfield (from Sheffield), think he caught at least 3 out who think tickets are optional.

Nothing on the London Northwestern service to London, barriers in use at Euston but got thrown open due to the sheer volume of passengers from 3 arrivals close together. Nothing on GWR [both the 800 to Reading & to Basingstoke], nor on SWR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
EMR Derby-Sheffield - barriers closed at Derby, no onboard checks (222), no barriers at Sheffield
Northern Sheffield-Meadowhall - no barriers, no onboard checks (170)
Northern Meadowhall-Doncaster - no barriers, no onboard checks (170)
TPE Doncaster-Cleethorpres - no barriers, no onboard checks in front unit (185x2)
TPE Cleethorpes-Scunthorpe - no barriers, no onboard checks in front unit (185x2)
TPE Scunthorpe-Doncaster - no barriers, no onboard checks (185x1)
Northern Doncaster-Sheffield - no barriers, no onboard checks (158)
Cross Country Sheffield-Derby - no barriers Sheffield, no onboard checks (221), barriers open at Derby

[I might as well have just bought a single to Duffield for all the revenue protection was worth!]

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've been surprised twice so far this weekend. Firstly the guard on a TfW service to Birmingham from Wolverhampton checked tickets on Friday night (he caught a good few out who thinks payment is optional). Nothing on the LNR to Birmingham.

Today I had a check between Leighton Buzzard and Tring on a semifast train from Northampton. Once again the guard caught at least 3 passengers out in my coach who didn't have any tickets (no idea how they will get through the barriers at Euston if they are in operation)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've been surprised twice so far this weekend. Firstly the guard on a TfW service to Birmingham from Wolverhampton checked tickets on Friday night (he caught a good few out who thinks payment is optional). Nothing on the LNR to Birmingham.

Today I had a check between Leighton Buzzard and Tring on a semifast train from Northampton. Once again the guard caught at least 3 passengers out in my coach who didn't have any tickets (no idea how they will get through the barriers at Euston if they are in operation)

Not all LNR trains use 8-11, some use ungated platforms, and the 1-3 gates are not used for LNR trains.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not all LNR trains use 8-11, some use ungated platforms, and the 1-3 gates are not used for LNR trains.
Indeed, and even if a LNR comes in on 8-11 there is no guarantee the gateline will be operational (last couple times I've been at Euston they have been wide open due to overcrowding or lack of staff)

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I made 5 journeys yesterday:

Newark North Gate - York (no check)
York - Newcastle (1st class) (no check)
Newcastle - Cramlington (checked)
Newcastle - York (1st class) (checked)
York - Newark North Gate (checked)

pnepaul

I had a TPE only off-peak return from Carlisle to Preston. A few TPE services canceled so

12.49 Avanti Carlisle to Preston ticket checked no query about the ticket - same on the 19.53 return to Carlisle.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m impressed that a full ticket/railcard check was able to be completed on a 4 coach sprinter between Glasgow Central and Barrhead by a single conductor!

John Luxton

Established Member
Round trip Liverpool South Parkway to Southport today.

Two ticket checks going to Southport one just after leaving South Parkway and again somewhere around Formby.

On return run another check around Birkdale.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Saturday, checked both ways on the SWR diesels, can't really say anything for the SWR electrics as not on them long enough. Checked by RPIs on a Peterborough - London Thameslink service between Peterborough & Huntingdon.

Sunday, checked by SWR but only 2 checks out of 12 services used in Kent (RPIs at Sevenoaks & guard on a Canterbury East line train. Barriers in use at Dover, Canterbury East & Rainham (even though the barriers at Rainham are a bit pointless as there is a side gate to platform 2 which was wide open). Open at Sittingbourne.

Kite159

Veteran Member
No check on SWR heading to London on Friday, nor on the LNR towards Birmingham [both on a London - Crewe train to Rugby then the pair of dreadful 2s to Birmingham]. Barriers in use at Rugby @ 20:45 when I changed platforms. Didn't check New Street itself as I went on to Longbridge on a pair of 323s. Barriers for 8-11 at Euston wide open at 19:30

Birmingham New Street, barriers in use in the morning (although the exit via Navigation Street footbridge were wide open). Shockingly to me they were still in use come 10pm [although they were in use when I alighted from the railtour around 19:25, popped to use the toilets and they were wide open at 19:30]

Sunday no checks, barriers in use at both New Street & Rugby. 350s into unbarriered platform at Euston. SWR no checks but unusually the barriers were in use at Guildford, previously they had been left open on days where rail replacement buses for Basingstoke/Winchester/Andover etc were in operation, but a London - Andover ticket did open them]

Falcon1200

Established Member
Travelled on 3 Scotrail trains today, one diesel with Driver and Guard, two electric which were DOO. On both DOO trains, tickets were checked, but not on the train with a Guard. I find this very hard to understand, would Guards not want to do everything possible to justify their job ?

mate you should try using GTR. Very frequent checks by the roving RPOs on DOO Thameslink services, but almost never checked on Southern services staffed with OBS staff that have little else.

RPI

Established Member
A recent journey i made, I travelled on two DOO trains and two trains with guards, only ticket check was on a DOO train!

Sm5

I dont recall ever being checked in Londons’ zones,

except on a bus in West Croydon late one night towards Sutton around 11pm, when the guy didnt recognise my london zone 1-6 day travel card on regular Orange Rail tickets and had to ask his mate if it was valid for buses, he said he would “let me off this time but dont use rail tickets on buses again”.. I somewhat ignored that afaik Regular TVM issued Zone1-6 travelcards are valid just as much as any other outlet selling them, indeed arent they valid on overnight buses too to the early hours?

anyways that was over a year ago.

spark001uk

Established Member
mate you should try using GTR. Very frequent checks by the roving RPOs on DOO Thameslink services, but almost never checked on Southern services staffed with OBS staff that have little else.
What part of the network are you seeing that on? Over the past few years I've hammered TL within the zones when I've had a travelcard, and not seen one check.
I gather they do seem to carry out frequent checks south of Croydon so I'm told.

What part of the network are you seeing that on? Over the past few years I've hammered TL within the zones when I've had a travelcard, and not seen one check.
I gather they do seem to carry out frequent checks south of Croydon so I'm told.
My commute involves the entirety of the BML but they most certainly do take place between LBG and ECR.

Wolfie

Established Member
I dont recall ever being checked in Londons’ zones,

except on a bus in West Croydon late one night towards Sutton around 11pm, when the guy didnt recognise my london zone 1-6 day travel card on regular Orange Rail tickets and had to ask his mate if it was valid for buses, he said he would “let me off this time but dont use rail tickets on buses again”.. I somewhat ignored that afaik Regular TVM issued Zone1-6 travelcards are valid just as much as any other outlet selling them, indeed arent they valid on overnight buses too to the early hours?

anyways that was over a year ago.
As long as the ticket says "Travelcard" at the top it is absolutely valid and that driver was talking rubbish.

With respect to times of validity this is what TfL have to say.

"You can get unlimited travel in one day with a Day Travelcard (paper ticket):
  • Anytime Day Travelcards: use for the date on the ticket and for journeys starting before 04:30 the next day
  • Off-peak Day Travelcards: use from 09:30 (Monday to Friday), anytime on weekends or bank holidays for the date on the ticket and for journeys starting before 04:30 the next day."

RuddA

I was surprised yesterday that the gates at both Norwich and Ipswich were open and that on both outward and return legs a member of staff walked through without checking tickets.
Heading south in the morning an announcement was made saying that a first class upgrade was available so I imagine that some time was used taking the extra fare.
It was nice to see that both trains were busy with some carriages marked as full.

Sm5

As long as the ticket says "Travelcard" at the top it is absolutely valid and that driver was talking rubbish.

With respect to times of validity this is what TfL have to say.

"You can get unlimited travel in one day with a Day Travelcard (paper ticket):
  • Anytime Day Travelcards: use for the date on the ticket and for journeys starting before 04:30 the next day
  • Off-peak Day Travelcards: use from 09:30 (Monday to Friday), anytime on weekends or bank holidays for the date on the ticket and for journeys starting before 04:30 the next day."
Yes thats what it was, and what I thought.
tbh I think he was new and just covering for his needing to ask someone first.
30 second encounter, and he moved on, I went home so no harm done.

but its the only time I can recall an inspector checking a ticket in london zones, in around a decade, admittedly I am an adhoc traveller.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yes thats what it was, and what I thought.
tbh I think he was new and just covering for his needing to ask someone first.
30 second encounter, and he moved on, I went home so no harm done.

but its the only time I can recall an inspector checking a ticket in london zones, in around a decade, admittedly I am an adhoc traveller.
Checks are uncommon but do happen. I've been checked on C2C, the DLR, the tube and buses. That is, though, over 10 years plus.

seaviewer

Loop
Interesting. I don’t think I have ever had a check on a TL train twixt Blackfriars and Haywards Heath

Gathursty

Established Member
Last week was ticket checked between Stone and Tame Bridge Parkway and between Rugeley TV and Stafford and finally Stafford and Stone.

No check from Tame Bridge to Rugeley TV.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Last week was ticket checked between Stone and Tame Bridge Parkway and between Rugeley TV and Stafford and finally Stafford and Stone.

No check from Tame Bridge to Rugeley TV.
Blimey a guard who checks tickets on the West Midlands services, quite rare to get one check yet alone 3.

Nova1

Blimey a guard who checks tickets on the West Midlands services, quite rare to get one check yet alone 3.
Even rarer for one that checks properly.

I had a weekly season ticket on a smart card for a bit, most guards would not bother scanning the smart card, they'd just see that I had a smart card and that was enough. A lot of school kids also have discounted tickets loaded onto smart cards (WMCA Swift?) and I never saw guards checking that

Kite159

Veteran Member
Even rarer for one that checks properly.

I had a weekly season ticket on a smart card for a bit, most guards would not bother scanning the smart card, they'd just see that I had a smart card and that was enough. A lot of school kids also have discounted tickets loaded onto smart cards (WMCA Swift?) and I never saw guards checking that
Or one which checks who has equipment to sell tickets to those which think payment is optional.

AM9

Veteran Member
Travelled from St Albans City to St Ives on 10th June. Walked through open wide gate at SAC, the only check for the rest of the journey was exiting the Lizzy at Paddington. Incoming for 12:04 to SIV was over 20 late so gates opened for boarding and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.