• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HMV Set To Call in the Administrators!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Is anyone else slightly puzzled by this? So long as they ship their product, why do they worry about choice for the consumer? Or do they think that, with an HMV outlet, they will be able to match the purchasing muscle of the big boys and put them in their place? Or do they fondly believe that the purchasing public is so hooked on their product that they will still buy it if Tesco and Amazon are forced out, leaving the floor to HMV at inflated prices.
Or is the music industry really run by the naive types (akin to businessmen who buy football clubs) who romantically hanker after the days of the old record store?

The charts - HMV counts for about 40% of the sales in the charts, im not sure amazon do let alone the supermarkets. The top 40 still has a relevance in further promoting artists.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is anyone else slightly puzzled by this? So long as they ship their product, why do they worry about choice for the consumer? Or do they think that, with an HMV outlet, they will be able to match the purchasing muscle of the big boys and put them in their place?

If the music industry in any way winds up investing in HMV (as against merely supporting a bid), they'll stand to make money from 'both ends' and I can see why they'd like to do that.

It's rather like the state run drinks industry in Sweden, where the state profits from the tax on alcohol sales and also profits on the actual sales by running the off licences!

Tesco seems to be reducing the floor space, so the record biz probably needs a way to put new artists (and existing ones) in front of the public - as you aren't so likey to be made aware of things via Amazon.

gswindale

Is anyone else slightly puzzled by this? So long as they ship their product, why do they worry about choice for the consumer? Or do they think that, with an HMV outlet, they will be able to match the purchasing muscle of the big boys and put them in their place? Or do they fondly believe that the purchasing public is so hooked on their product that they will still buy it if Tesco and Amazon are forced out, leaving the floor to HMV at inflated prices.
Or is the music industry really run by the naive types (akin to businessmen who buy football clubs) who romantically hanker after the days of the old record store?

I don't tend to buy much music these days, but finding my taste in music in Tesco is about as likely as Reading winning this season's Premier League trophy.

HMV on the other hand does stock a wider range, although I do miss the old soundproof booths for the classical stuff.

Thus there should be a place for dedicated music shops - they've just got to find a way to compete with online retailers.

Bevan Price

Established Member

The range of CDs I have seen at supermarkets tends to be very narrow - typically what is in the pop charts, or has been in the charts in the past year or two, together with some of the bigger names from the past (Beatles, Stones, Queen, Elton John, Rod Stewart, etc.) If you want anything else - tough.

I have bought several CDs from Amazon in the last year, but some come from smallish dealers who sell via Amazon, rather than coming direct from Amazon warehouses. Unfortunately, some of the music I like is rarely found in shops (even HMV); some of my other CD "requirements" are priced too high, even at Amazon.

michael769

Established Member
I have bought several CDs from Amazon in the last year, but some come from smallish dealers who sell via Amazon, rather than coming direct from Amazon warehouses. Unfortunately, some of the music I like is rarely found in shops (even HMV); some of my other CD "requirements" are priced too high, even at Amazon.

I think is is part of the problem for stores now. If you want the current chart topper you can easily pick it up with your weekly shop, or more likely will download.

Where record shops traditionally came into their own was in getting something a little less popular. But these days the likes of Amazon can offer a level of variety far beyond any store which is what makes them so appealing. The independent merchants and second had dealers on the site just reinforce that.

Heinz57

Opening up an old topic here. However I have a bit of news.

Being part of the HMV mailing list, I today received an email saying that the company is now officialy out of administration!

So that is indeed good news. Hopefuly the company can move on from this and go to great heights.

I also heard that Jessops has or is being saved and will re-open? I'm not sure how true that is. If someone could shed a little light?

Heinz57

Thank you for confirming. You can tell I don't get into town much any more :lol:

It is good news though that both retailers have been saved.

It is a shame about the others though. I suppose Comet won't be missed too much, but I still miss Woolworths!

jon0844

Veteran Member
What are the plans for HMV going forward? Clearly it can't be business as usual and the stores will have to change?

Ditto with Jessops.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not now, but when they first went online they actually did!

I must admit, pick'n'mix sounds quite difficult to do on line !

There does need to be some competition for those fellas who charge a fiver for three cola bottles and a jelly bean !

jon0844

Veteran Member
I see Amazon is now selling some fairly cheap sweets, but because postage is so much they can only be ordered as an 'add-on' item - usually when ordering at least £20 from Amazon direct (not a third party seller).

I am amazed how much some people are charging for these 'classic' sweets in a fancy box, when you can still easily buy all of them anyway. I guess they play on the ignorance of the general public that think they're no longer made and these companies have somehow uncovered some top-secret stash that have been frozen to keep them fresh!

Butts

Veteran Member
I see Amazon is now selling some fairly cheap sweets, but because postage is so much they can only be ordered as an 'add-on' item - usually when ordering at least £20 from Amazon direct (not a third party seller).

I am amazed how much some people are charging for these 'classic' sweets in a fancy box, when you can still easily buy all of them anyway. I guess they play on the ignorance of the general public that think they're no longer made and these companies have somehow uncovered some top-secret stash that have been frozen to keep them fresh!

Ah Rhubarb & Custard , Pear Drops , Sherbert Lemons .....still 1/- quarter ?

michael769

Established Member
What are the plans for HMV going forward? Clearly it can't be business as usual and the stores will have to change?

Ditto with Jessops.

I believe that HMVs new owners plan on a back to basics approach, dropping the gadgets Nd returning to a specilist music retailer concentrating on selection and service rather than a race to the bottom of the mass market. This may sound a little mad but the approach has been successful in Canada, I suspect it is aimed at attracting those wou would never dream of lising to a lossy MP3 track.

Jessops is similar but with a focus on the growing SLR prosumer market.

Both will be cutting the number of stores as leases allow, in particular cities with more than 1 outlet are likely to see all except the most favourable closed.

SS4

Established Member
I believe that HMVs new owners plan on a back to basics approach, dropping the gadgets Nd returning to a specilist music retailer concentrating on selection and service rather than a race to the bottom of the mass market. This may sound a little mad but the approach has been successful in Canada, I suspect it is aimed at attracting those wou would never dream of lising to a lossy MP3 track.

Jessops is similar but with a focus on the growing SLR prosumer market.

Both will be cutting the number of stores as leases allow, in particular cities with more than 1 outlet are likely to see all except the most favourable closed.

I think that's the right step to take although how would it cope with the likes of Amazon? I reckon HMV could do quite well if they allowed music to be downloaded in lossless (meaning flac, flac+cue sheet or wav) format.

Status
Not open for further replies.