• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hope Valley Capacity Scheme updates

Killingworth

Established Member
Since the new chord round the west to east curve at the triangle seems to be longer, perhaps they could install a set of points where it veers off, to make it an effective loop; it looks plenty long enough to hold a 6 car train for a short time.

As I said in my last post the cant to allow the loop to take the sharp curve would make that very difficult. It was looked at early on in the planning and discarded for that reason. The loop track is laid to rise into Dore tunnel, the MML and Bradway Tunnel. It's also lower to the inner and wooded side of the bend and higher on the side adjacent to the mainline track.

To enter the loop where the two tracks are both level would reduce the effective length. When, eventually, the track for the loop is finally laid (11th February, all being well) we'll be bettee able to see that..

Otherwise I'd agree it's a fairly simple and good idea. Cost, two sets of points, signalling and more earthworks?

If I'm understanding your proposal correctly, you'd be cutting the effective length of the chord, which was a major aim of the project. Looping the stopper at or near Dore is not the correct solution, the focus should be on getting the TPE to run to time and asking why that doesn't happen, because then nobody would be suggesting infrastructure solutions costing tens of millions of pounds if the timetable was kept to.

Providing an additional set of points off the eastbound track at Dore would be difficult with the curvature (although not impossible), require greater interlocking and also prevent freight trains being held on the curve clear of the MML (again, this was a MAJOR goal of this project) due to the curve being effectively back to what it was. You would also likely cause major issues with the cant of the track as points (for obvious reasons) have very small tolerance for any cant in the curved leg. Nice idea but sadly there are good reasons why it hasn't been done.
Providing bi-di through Dore would have been very difficult because of the curvature of the track and the presence of the bridge immediately north of the junction on the MML, so the facing crossover to allow westbound trains to get to the wrong line would have had quite big margins against the Down MML, and then it's an extra 2 sets of points to maintain on the MML, in addition to the additional crossover at Totley Tunnel east, and all the associated interlocking for the additional routes at each junction and through Dore & Totley station.
For every extra difficulty it costs more to solve, at some point, you are spending more money than the benefits you are gaining.

It would not require a reduction in the effective length of the chord, or would it?. A number of options were discarded fairly early on. Among them appear to have been another track through the station to go below Twentywell Lane and to join the loop. We can forget that

However points splitting off the westbound track immediately after the Twentywell Lane overbridge would, on paper, be able to join the extended chord with another set of points to provide enough length for a westbound passenger train. Except the loop is on a rising gradient to go into Dore tunnel and is canted away from that westbound track to take the sharp curve. I went through all that at the time of the 2016 public inquiry.

If the new points off the westbound track were positioned further west where the loop track was flat and level I'm not sure there'd be enough length in the loop to hold a 6 car train. That wouldn't effect the effective length for freight trains passing between the two lines.

However resolving issues east of Sheffield need far more attention.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
It would not require a reduction in the effective length of the chord.
[...]
However points splitting off the westbound track immediately after the Twentywell Lane overbridge would, on paper, be able to join the extended chord with another set of points to provide enough length for a westbound passenger train.
This length would have to be kept clear for the theoretical passenger train to be looped, thereby (re-)shortening the chord so that the extended length cannot be used. Or you have a long freight using the full length of the chord, and then you are back to square one with the passenger train regulation issue.

Killingworth

Established Member
This length would have to be kept clear for the theoretical passenger train to be looped, thereby (re-)shortening the chord so that the extended length cannot be used. Or you have a long freight using the full length of the chord, and then you are back to square one with the passenger train regulation issue.

It's all academic anyway. It's proving hard enough to get the extended chord installed as it is.

td97

Established Member
The Up Heeley loop will go from 15mph to 25mph but otherwise little difference in regulating late fast/on-time stopper departing Sheffield.
Another benefit would be not held at Dore St Jn in case of Sheffield-bound service on the single line.

Tomnick

Established Member
The Up Heeley loop will go from 15mph to 25mph but otherwise little difference in regulating late fast/on-time stopper departing Sheffield.
Another benefit would be not held at Dore St Jn in case of Sheffield-bound service on the single line.
Flashing yellows into it too, which will get it into the loop quicker if the TPE or another train is close behind.

Not sure I'd see much benefit to an additional loop around Dore West Jn., as others have suggested. The stopper can't get into Totley Tunnel until the TPE has cleared Grindleford anyway.

Killingworth

Established Member
Flashing yellows into it too, which will get it into the loop quicker if the TPE or another train is close behind.

Not sure I'd see much benefit to an additional loop around Dore West Jn., as others have suggested. The stopper can't get into Totley Tunnel until the TPE has cleared Grindleford anyway.
But with a bi-directionally signalled station it could get clear of the MML, get an on time arrival at Dore (helping Northern performance stats), and be ready to move off from there as soon as the Tunnel is clear.

In post 1530 GardenRail shows a signalling diagram that suggests a new signal west of the station, DE5115, will protect the new Dore West Junction east of the tunnel so theoretically it might be able to move up to there to allow a freight to go ahead, or allow an eastbound freight across into the loop.

Dore passengers in particular can get frustrated when they catch an on time departure for a 7 minute journey to be held for 10-20 minutes in the Heeley loop. (Even more so if they've just missed the hourly train to find that's what happened!)

Anyway, it's not going to happen.

Progress at the station is increasingly apparent every day. Footbridge should go in 20/21st January.

20240112_143020.jpg

20240112_143723.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
One day, when capacity at Piccadilly, through Stockport, down the Sheaf Valley and in Sheffield can be resolved- assuming that's not used for other services.

Still scope to increase more trains to 6 car, assuming the TOCs have the rolling stock which they currently don't seem to have.
The situation does seem to be improving though :)

Jozhua

Established Member
Is a capacity uplift still on the cards?
I think Hope Valley is being designed to handle 3x express and 1x local per hour in each direction. Wether the same can be said of the surrounding infrastructure is a different story, but have to start somewhere I guess?

Will probably improve resiliency and to a more limited extent, journey times in the meantime.

Killingworth

Established Member
I think Hope Valley is being designed to handle 3x express and 1x local per hour in each direction. Wether the same can be said of the surrounding infrastructure is a different story, but have to start somewhere I guess?

Will probably improve resiliency and to a more limited extent, journey times in the meantime.
That was the specification, plus freight paths. It was part of the broader Manchester, later Northern, Hub scheme of projects that saw the Ordsall Chord delivered, but is failing because the most expensive and vital bits aren't being done - notably Piccadilly platforms 15/16.

Just getting enough rolling stock to increase capacity with longer trains is a challenge in itself. 6 coaches between Sheffield and Manchester and on to Liverpool may be justified at peak times, but all day at the far end of routes to Norwich and Cleethorpes?

Northern could extend their New Mills stopper to become a second through stopping service between Manchester and Sheffield. That would require no extra capacity at the Manchester end other than one more unit and crew but would probably have to skip stops in the Hope Valley and might have difficulty finding paths down the Sheaf valley into available platform space in Sheffield. That would make 4 passenger services an hour between the two cities and wouldn't be as prone to many of the delays experienced by the EMR and TPE services beyond Sheffield and Manchester.

Might that happen? Almost certainly, no. Northern loses enough money already. It could only happen if a business case could be made based on substantially greater revenue - which is also why a 3rd fast service can't currently be justified even if paths were available from end to end.

Killingworth

Established Member
EMR drop half the train at Nottingham and it joins a Liverpool-bound, only one half goes to Norwich.
Indeed, currently 4 coaches but quite often still 2 and only 6 on a trial basis. Splitting adds an operational risk but it allows some flexibility. I've been on a 4 coach through to Norwich and it was very lightly loaded.

The difficulty with long routes like these is providing capacity for the sections where it's needed in one direction for perhaps 2 hours in the day on journeys of over 5 hours.

I recently used a Thameslink service through London, Cambridge-Brighton, 12 coaches, almost empty thoughout. Return trip still almost empty at Burgess Hill but totally full and standing by London Bridge. It's a reality of all public transport that has one possible solution. On the Hope Valley route beef up the shorter distance stopping trains on the busiest sections at busiest times. But we have 3 competing TOCs each with its own difficulties around capacity from limited coaching stock.

Whisky Papa

If I'm understanding your proposal correctly, you'd be cutting the effective length of the chord, which was a major aim of the project. Looping the stopper at or near Dore is not the correct solution, the focus should be on getting the TPE to run to time and asking why that doesn't happen, because then nobody would be suggesting infrastructure solutions costing tens of millions of pounds if the timetable was kept to.
Quite. I had the misfortune to work at Reddish North for a couple of years (2009/10) and Saturdays were a predictable pain, with every stopper originating in Sheffield being at least ten minutes late, often more, after being held for late-running TPE services. The TPE delays seemed to start with a couple of minutes at Scunthorpe, then it would be probably five or six late leaving Doncaster, another couple at Meadowhall and then ten or more from Sheffield. The same pattern, every hour. With 142s the stock on two of the three Northern Hope Valley Saturday diagrams, a train that was more than 15 mins late was quite often already full by the time it reached Reddish North.

I did flag it up (repeatedly) but the delay was somewhat reduced 'officially' as the trains got an extra five minutes inbound to Piccadilly (12 mins as against 7 outbound I think).

Just looking at RTT for Reddish North for yesterday, the timekeeping was rather better, with at least some of the Sheffield originators on time, and only two worse than ten minutes late, although I've no idea if that is typical nowadays.

LowLevel

Established Member
Quite. I had the misfortune to work at Reddish North for a couple of years (2009/10) and Saturdays were a predictable pain, with every stopper originating in Sheffield being at least ten minutes late, often more, after being held for late-running TPE services. The TPE delays seemed to start with a couple of minutes at Scunthorpe, then it would be probably five or six late leaving Doncaster, another couple at Meadowhall and then ten or more from Sheffield. The same pattern, every hour. With 142s the stock on two of the three Northern Hope Valley Saturday diagrams, a train that was more than 15 mins late was quite often already full by the time it reached Reddish North.

I did flag it up (repeatedly) but the delay was somewhat reduced 'officially' as the trains got an extra five minutes inbound to Piccadilly (12 mins as against 7 outbound I think).

Just looking at RTT for Reddish North for yesterday, the timekeeping was rather better, with at least some of the Sheffield originators on time, and only two worse than ten minutes late, although I've no idea if that is typical nowadays.
The 195s are far better uphill than the 142s ever were, which is probably quite useful!

Jozhua

Established Member
Whilst I'm unsure about the hope valley stoppers, I'd be surprised if the Manchester - Sheffield section of the express services wasn't breaking even operationally.

IMG-20240104-WA0002.jpgIMG-20240104-WA0001.jpg
When you look at the passenger flow maps for Piccadilly Vs Victoria, you can see that Hope Valley carries a similar number of passenger volumes to the Huddersfield route. Bolder than the line out to Liverpool too.

It's remarkably heavily trafficked for the level of infrastructure and type of trains that run on it. It would be good to see it recieving some well deserved extra service in express or semi fast form.

Of course, Piccadilly is a bit doomed as a bottleneck, although I'd guess the train shed perhaps has a little more room for manoeuvre than 13/14.

8stewartt

That was the specification, plus freight paths. It was part of the broader Manchester, later Northern, Hub scheme of projects that saw the Ordsall Chord delivered, but is failing because the most expensive and vital bits aren't being done - notably Piccadilly platforms 15/16.

Just getting enough rolling stock to increase capacity with longer trains is a challenge in itself. 6 coaches between Sheffield and Manchester and on to Liverpool may be justified at peak times, but all day at the far end of routes to Norwich and Cleethorpes?

Northern could extend their New Mills stopper to become a second through stopping service between Manchester and Sheffield. That would require no extra capacity at the Manchester end other than one more unit and crew but would probably have to skip stops in the Hope Valley and might have difficulty finding paths down the Sheaf valley into available platform space in Sheffield. That would make 4 passenger services an hour between the two cities and wouldn't be as prone to many of the delays experienced by the EMR and TPE services beyond Sheffield and Manchester.

Might that happen? Almost certainly, no. Northern loses enough money already. It could only happen if a business case could be made based on substantially greater revenue - which is also why a 3rd fast service can't currently be justified even if paths were available from end to end.
Of course you could extend the new mills stopper but turn it back at Grindleford under the new layout. It would miss out dore and Sheffield, but provide an extra stopper over the majority of the hope valley.

Killingworth

Established Member
Of course you could extend the new mills stopper but turn it back at Grindleford under the new layout. It would miss out dore and Sheffield, but provide an extra stopper over the majority of the hope valley.
For all stations from Edale westwards Manchester is the most booked destination. However from Hope eastwards it's Sheffield so that idea wouldn't be very helpful.

The most booked destination from both Sheffield and Dore is Manchester. Increasingly more are booking on Northern's 195 stoppers because the extra time is offset by a lower fare, if booked in advance it can be by a big margin. That's helping to reduce the loadings on the fast services - but can make it hard to squeeze in for intermediate places like Bamford.

Edale is a very popular destination from both Sheffield and Dore.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It was amusing just how much better performance was when TPE ran the double 170 diagram on Manchester Airport - Doncaster, with the single unit terminating there from Cleethorpes. Of course, though the connection was available on paper, the quid pro quo of the right time start at Doncaster was frequently that people were still rushing under the subway as it departed. And no alternative to sitting at Doncaster for a full hour was ever offered, except for Meadowhall and Sheffield and only then to those with tickets valid on Northern anyway. Oops!

If the footbridge which currently connects platform 0 ran over to the island on the Down side as well that might make such connections more feasible in the future, as well as providing Thorne a usable service to Meadowhall and Sheffield, which was quite unfairly removed (save one fast service each way which calls at Thorne North). Currently however, the length of the walk via the subway is such that this is very customer-unfreindly indeed.

It's remarkably heavily trafficked for the level of infrastructure and type of trains that run on it. It would be good to see it recieving some well deserved extra service in express or semi fast form.
It is in a shocking state. The journey by road is so poor also that the train service would easily carry triple or quadruple the number of passengers between the two cities. If it could provide for that. Proportionally, the capacity increase from more double 185 diagrams than in 2019 isn't very big at all.

Was increasing the speed to 60 between Edgeley Jns and Hazel Grove station officially withdrawn from the current scope or is that idea just in limbo? For all of the quarter of a minute it might claw back!

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
Was increasing the speed to 60 between Edgeley Jns and Hazel Grove station officially withdrawn from the current scope or is that idea just in limbo? For all of the quarter of a minute it might claw back!
No, it's happening, later this month. 55 on the Up, 60 on the Down, and extra signals too. Slightly faster both ways over the chord too, as well as a few other little bits.

Snow1964

Established Member
Network Rail has issued update on scheduled work on Hope Valley work 15th January

The Hope Valley Railway Upgrade is nearing completion with closures planned along the route to facilitate the last stages of work.

Passenger trains between Manchester and Sheffield will be affected while the final track and infrastructure is installed, and signalling work completed on the project.

Parts of the railway line will be closed on the following dates:

• 11pm Friday 19th January – 1am Monday 22nd January 2024
  • 11pm Friday 26th January – 1am Monday 29th January 2024
  • 11:30pm Saturday 3rd February – 1am Monday 5th February 2024
  • 11:30pm Saturday 10th February – 1am Monday 12th February 2024
  • 11pm Friday 15th March – 5:15am Monday 25th March 2024
  • 11pm Friday 26th April – 8pm Wednesday 1st May 2024
Fewer trains will be running with some services replaced by buses or diverted via alternative routes.

Passengers are encouraged to visit nationalrail.co.uk before they travel for more information about changes to journeys.

This includes football fans whose train journeys will be affected as they travel from Stockport to Meadow Lane on 20th January, to watch the match between Stockport County & Notts County.

Throughout the closures, the project team will be focused on Dore & Totley and Grindleford to complete earthworks, track upgrades and station improvements. Signalling work will also take place between New Mills Newtown and Manchester Piccadilly.

Graeme Whitehead, Senior Sponsor for Network Rail said:

“Over the past two years, the project team have been working hard to deliver significant improvements along the Hope Valley railway line to enable more reliable journeys between Manchester and Sheffield.

“It has been exciting to see the advancements made to date and, as we look ahead to the last months of the scheme, we look forward to seeing the benefits realised for passengers.”

The upcoming work follows major progress made over recent months on the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade.

During line closures over Christmas and New Year, an underbridge was successfully extended in Dore & Totley while work has progressed to build a new, accessible footbridge off-site, which will be installed later this month. Work on the lifts and a second platform at the station is nearing completion.

The last pieces of track have also been laid for a passing loop in Bamford, which will enable trains to pass slower freight traffic along the route. Work continues at Dore on a second passing loop, to alleviate a long-standing bottleneck.

Senex

Established Member
No, it's happening, later this month. 55 on the Up, 60 on the Down, and extra signals too. Slightly faster both ways over the chord too, as well as a few other little bits.
But why that odd 5mph discrepancy between Down and Up? It was down for 60 both ways under the Ansaldo scheme, wasn't it?

Jamesrob637

Established Member

From next Monday early doors, the railway from Stockport to Hazel Grove will be at the newer, faster line speed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But why that odd 5mph discrepancy between Down and Up? It was down for 60 both ways under the Ansaldo scheme, wasn't it?
Is it just because in that direction the train won't be able to accelerate to above 55 before having to hit the brakes again?

Killingworth

Established Member
Network Rail has issued update on scheduled work on Hope Valley work 15th January

The Stakeholder Briefing may say a little more - the aerial view of the car park must have been taken on a Sunday or during Covid. Most weekdays it used to be full.

Final stages of work on the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade

Good morning,

I hope you are well.

I am writing to update you about the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade, as part of the Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU), and to update you on the final upgrades planned to complete the scheme.

Recent progress

Significant progress has been made on the project to date.

In Dore & Totley, work continues to build the new, accessible footbridge and second platform at the station, with the installation of the main span of the footbridge now planned for this month. Over the Christmas & New year period, a bridge was successfully extended to facilitate the installation of new track. Earthworks to build a retaining wall are also progressing well near West View Lane, ready for the track to be installed in February.

At Bamford, the final pieces of track have been installed for the passing loop, which will enable trains to pass slower freight traffic along the route. In Hathersage, remedial work including steelwork and painting is being completed on the new footbridge.

Upcoming work

Over the coming months, several line closures are planned over the following dates to facilitate the last stages of work. This includes a line closure during April which the project team will be utilising to undertake follow up track work:

• 11pm Friday 19th January – 1am Monday 22nd January 2024
  • 11pm Friday 26th January – 1am Monday 29th January 2024
  • 11:30pm Saturday 3rd February – 1am Monday 5th February 2024
  • 11:30pm Saturday 10th February – 1am Monday 12th February 2024
  • 11pm Friday 15th March – 5:15am Monday 25th March 2024
  • 11pm Friday 26th April – 8pm Wednesday 1st May 2024

Fewer trains will be running with some services replaced by buses or diverted via alternative routes.

Passengers are encouraged to visit nationalrail.co.uk before they travel for more information about changes to journeys.

Work will be focused in Dore & Totley and Grindleford to complete earthworks, track upgrades and station improvements. Signalling work will also take place between New Mills Newtown and Manchester Piccadilly.

Dore & Totley station car park

Dore & Totley station car park is currently closed to facilitate the upgrade work.

We are now required to keep the car park closed until Friday 31st May.

This is to allow us to facilitate work safely for the remainder of the scheme, and to complete any remedial work required so that the car park is in a fit condition to hand back to the public.​

We would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss progress on the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade and to answer any questions you may have; Please contact [email protected] if you would like to arrange a meeting.

Kind regards,

TRU Communications team

About TRU

The Transpennine Route Upgrade is set to transform journeys across the North. We’re better connecting towns and cities through more frequent, faster trains, running on a cleaner, greener and more reliable railway through Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York.

As part of TRU, we are upgrading diversionary lines, which will be able to not only transport more passengers by rail during key works on the Transpennine route but will also benefit regular users and residents along those lines for years to come.

About the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade

The line through the Hope Valley will be a crucial link while the Transpennine route between Manchester and Huddersfield is upgraded.

The improvements planned on the Hope Valley upgrade involve new infrastructure, track and signalling improvements along railway line between Manchester & Sheffield, to allow fast trains to pass slower freight trains.

The main upgrades include:

• A new platform and accessible footbridge with lifts at Dore & Totley station
  • A railway loop between Bamford and Hathersage
  • A new overbridge at Hathersage West, replacing the current foot crossing to improve safety
  • Signalling improvements along the line to improve reliability
  • Platform extension to allow for more carriages on services

Car park closure at Dore & Totley station

1705317879998.png

Attachments

• Hope Valley stakeholder note Jan 24 AH.pdf
    458.8 KB · Views: 33

ricoblade

For all stations from Edale westwards Manchester is the most booked destination. However from Hope eastwards it's Sheffield so that idea wouldn't be very helpful.

The most booked destination from both Sheffield and Dore is Manchester. Increasingly more are booking on Northern's 195 stoppers because the extra time is offset by a lower fare, if booked in advance it can be by a big margin. That's helping to reduce the loadings on the fast services - but can make it hard to squeeze in for intermediate places like Bamford.

Edale is a very popular destination from both Sheffield and Dore.
Thanks for the initial reply and subsequent discussion, very interesting. There must be a "how late is the TPE" calculation as to whether to let the stopper go beyond Heeley.

I took the stoopper all the way to Manchester and back as I had a Northern free ticket after a cancellation back from Edale last year. I'd do it again if a lot cheaper as it didn't seem to take that long, it was a pleasant trip on a 195 (I think, looked it up on RTT) and i don't really like the TPE stock.

Killingworth

Established Member
Thanks for the initial reply and subsequent discussion, very interesting. There must be a "how late is the TPE" calculation as to whether to let the stopper go beyond Heeley.

I took the stopper all the way to Manchester and back as I had a Northern free ticket after a cancellation back from Edale last year. I'd do it again if a lot cheaper as it didn't seem to take that long, it was a pleasant trip on a 195 (I think, looked it up on RTT) and i don't really like the TPE stock.
Although the Northern service between Piccadilly and Sheffield may take 25 minutes longer than TPE or EMR you'll probably save 5 minutes of that between the concourse and Platforms 13/14 at Piccadilly!

Whisky Papa

The 195s are far better uphill than the 142s ever were, which is probably quite useful!
True, and with much better dwell times too, especially once busy.

However, having also now checked RTT for the TPE departures from Sheffield for Sat 13th, none were more than a minute or two after right time, so clearly they have upped their game since the situation I was describing c15 years ago when their Saturday departures were consistently late.

Killingworth

Established Member
True, and with much better dwell times too, especially once busy.

However, having also now checked RTT for the TPE departures from Sheffield for Sat 13th, none were more than a minute or two after right time, so clearly they have upped their game since the situation I was describing c15 years ago when their Saturday departures were consistently late.
Saturday 13th was a good day proving it can be done

See here for Saturday performance on trains from Sheffield to Manchester over the last 12 weeks. From Recent Train Times; https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/...tAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=35&MnScCt=2

See here for trains from Meadowhall to Sheffield to see how TPE fared; https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/...tAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=35&MnScCt=2

I haven't the time or patience to follow all these trains through to see what delayed every train and where. I hear users wryly laughing that every train to Manchester is late. Although that's not accurate they can be forgiven for getting that impression.