• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horse burgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I think that might be a photoshopped image because I have seen the exact sausages in a Tesco pack and an ASDA pack, still funnyish though

Trog

Established Member
Would not be bothered about eating horse. But what would worry me is that if their proceedures and checking are so lax that horse can be substituted for beef. Is it possible that unfit meat could also be finding its way into the burgers.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Would not be bothered about eating horse. But what would worry me is that if their proceedures and checking are so lax that horse can be substituted for beef. Is it possible that unfit meat could also be finding its way into the burgers.

It doesn't bother me too much either, but I would like to be aware of what I was eating so that I could make an informed choice!

David

Established Member
Tesco have launched a new line of baps exclusively for their value burgers... Thoroughbred.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'll admit now that horse meat in burgers does not bother me. However, I just want to know what's being put in these sausages! :shock: :oops: :lol:
Anyone missing something between their legs ?

I remember a story about a fairly famous actress who claimed she was eating one of those in a car, when the police accused here of chewing something else of a similar shape.

wintonian

Established Member
It doesn't bother me too much either, but I would like to be aware of what I was eating so that I could make an informed choice!

I admit it is horses for courses, but seriously I am a little put off by it, though that is irrelevent to the real issues, which I feel are:-

• I want to know exactly what it is I am eating and be confident that it is what is says on the tin.
  • This involved a number of samples from a number of suppliers and retailers, so it seems highly improbable that this is an unusual occurrence as some retailers are saying.
  • Therefore how long has this been going on for and how wide spread is it?
  • If meat can be contaminated in this way can it be contaminated by unsafe bacteria for example making the food unsafe?
  • I assume as no-one apparently knew it was contaminated in this way that the origin of the foreign meat is unknown and therefore it's safety can't be established, despite what the FSA is saying in order to avert a BSE type crises?
  • Why is regular testing not carried out (independently or otherwise) in order to provide assurance of authenticity and safety?

This isn't about the type of contaminant as the media are putting out, presumably so they don't start a mass panic on the back of Leveson, it's about the wider risk to food safety and our right to know exactly what we are consuming.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Spot on there, wintonian. what else might be found in processed foods?

It all reminds me of Fat Tony supplying milk to the school in The Simpsons, only with no laughs at all.

richw

Veteran Member

Exactly my view as well,

The research/ tests only stated there was horse DNA, not that there was horse meat. This may point to that the processing plant hadnt been un-horsed after processing horse meat, and then processed cow meat.

Or maybe this happened: (see attached photo)

Attachments

• lets make a burger.jpg
    lets make a burger.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 26

wintonian

Established Member
The research/ tests only stated there was horse DNA, not that there was horse meat.

I know this is only 1 product but can you tell me how we can have 29% (of meat content) horse DNA in it if this does not consist of actual meat?

Johnuk123

Established Member
Exactly my view as well,

The research/ tests only stated there was horse DNA, not that there was horse meat. This may point to that the processing plant hadnt been un-horsed after processing horse meat, and then processed cow meat.

Or maybe this happened: (see attached photo)

None of the English or Irish plants have ever processed horse meat since they've been in existence.

The reason horse meat is in the burgers is because both the plants import nearly all the meat from various European countries.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I know this is only 1 product but can you tell me how we can have 29% (of meat content) horse DNA in it if this does not consist of actual meat?

I'm sure I looked at the ingredients once at put them back, as they were only around 40% meat anyway

wintonian

Established Member
None of the English or Irish plants have ever processed horse meat since they've been in existence.

The reason horse meat is in the burgers is because both the plants import nearly all the meat from various Eastern European countries.

Yes but do they check to see what it actually is? I mean they may have ordered beef, they may have assumed it was beef and it may have even said it was beef but did they check to see if it actually was?

I'm sure I looked at the ingredients once at put them back, as they were only around 40% meat anyway

That's more than I thought!

Johnuk123

Established Member
Yes but do they check to see what it actually is? I mean they may have ordered beef, they may have assumed it was beef and it may have even said it was beef but did they check to see if it actually was?

Of course they do, but that has nothing to do with it. Horse meat is 4 times cheaper so assuming they have known for years it's simply a scam like so many others.

They've been found out, surprised it's taken so long.

Anybody with any sense has always known that burgers are filled with rubbish, the meat they can't use for anything else always goes in a burger.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Is it that actual horse meat was in the burgers or just DNA from horses? Just that the teacher in biology was talking about it and he said that they found DNA

wintonian

Established Member
Of course they do, but that has nothing to do with it. Horse meat is 4 times cheaper so assuming they have known for years it's simply a scam like so many others.

They've been found out, surprised it's taken so long.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but we don't have the evidence to support that theory as of yet.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but we don't have the evidence to support that theory as of yet.

Not yet, but my theory is that every single burger supplier knows full well that the product is very likely to have various strange items in its make-up.

Heinz57

I don't see what the fuss is about, I had one and it didn't do me aneigh harm...

...Coat, hat, gone :lol:

Dennis

Established Member
Is it that actual horse meat was in the burgers or just DNA from horses? Just that the teacher in biology was talking about it and he said that they found DNA

Hmmm, what other sources of horse DNA could there be except flesh? Pooh and other bodily excretions, hair.....

Crossover

Established Member
Personally, I think it is going to be a PR disaster, and the products were mis-sold, but I doubt they would cause anyone any harm.

In other news, it amazes me how so many members of a rail forum can be witty about equestrian (a word my HTC doesn't have it its vocabulary!) terms...I mean, dressage just seems to get called 'horses dancing' from what I've heard people say!

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've had horse steak on two or three occasions in France; it tastes more or less the same as beef but is not quite so tough.

It is in fact legal to sell horse meat for consumption in this country - as long as it is properly described as such on the packet, of course.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've had horse steak on two or three occasions in France; it tastes more or less the same as beef but is not quite so tough.

It is in fact legal to sell horse meat for consumption in this country - as long as it is properly described as such on the packet, of course.

I've never knowingly had "Horse" but I've had Kangaroo which was quite nice.
Is horse anything like venison ?

Status
Not open for further replies.