• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How difficult is it to arrive or leave at all timetabled platforms. 5 year project to achieve this.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Clearly more patience than me with the long waits! The mission certainly seems to be going well, despite the timetable issues. Hopefully after the December timetable change it will get easier!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All platforms

All the long festers caused by the reduced timetable.
Good news on getting Eastrington into your book along with some other awkward Yorkshire stations
The service intervals and calling patterns are a bit nuts East of Leeds. Almost impossible to get a rhythm going pretty much anywhere to be honest. So much rare bits of track too so the next 2 days in Yorkshire will have to reflect a bit of that too. UTtracker have a nifty feature which shows gains and losses for the current/next timetable period and it looks like Kirton Lindsay and Brigg will return in December. I will not be bored analysing a bunch of that dat i think and may shape what i do this year for losses - and leave some new cool stuff for next.

Edit: Looks like all the temporary removal of services are back so in addition to the 2 above, Pontefract Baghill, Crowle and the others on that line are also in the timetable. However, so is Tees-side Airport so i may have to see what actually happens in that regard. Not believing quite yet..

Last edited:

All platforms

Clearly more patience than me with the long waits! The mission certainly seems to be going well, despite the timetable issues. Hopefully after the December timetable change it will get easier!
I would probably have gone a bit nuts by now if i hadn't worked out i needed something to do on the longer layovers - forced or otherwise. Its years since i bought any books but it looks like i have another (old) new thing to help while away the waits. See my reply to Kite above - UTtracker has published the gains/losses with the December timetable and will bear some close scrutiny.

All platforms

Day 157: Saturday 27/08/2022 - Crewe to Holmes Chapel - £3.15 - Off-peak Return. North Wales Rover - £14.10 - 2 Zone version. CP South St CP Crewe free. Brook St CP Chester - £5.00
Total time today 542 mins - Time on trains 139 mins and time waiting. Stations completed today 3. Total completed 932 including one I completed even betterer than before!

Ironically my first target today is back in the December timetable and this is P3 at Sandbach. I keep an eye on this platform as its one of the ones i need closer to home and it was being used each way today to allow 2 XC services to pass on the fasts. Not seen this for ages. Anyway i had the opportunity to do it in both directions so got an earlier train and then boarded at P3 going one stop to Holmes Chapel. Not long to wait and i got the next south which should have crossed the main line into P3 and back to the main line again. This bit didn't happen but its back in the timetable so i may attempt this at a later date. So Sandbach for platforms is now fully complete. Tick.

Time to relocate to Chester for a part day ticking off the stations and line down to Gobowen. Madness on a Saturday to attempt this really but i had the time - and boy is this the part of the line where its the best part of an hour between moves so in the last 2 days by the time i finished i had devouted nearly 350 pages. First move then is for track only and a full 2 car set all the way to Gobowen for track. The return was a 4 car but absolutely rammed and with over 40 people getting on it was a bit of a squeeze. Standing to Wrexham General wasn't too much of an ask and my first look at the station. Right next to the kickball stadium (as is Crewe come to think of it) and remarkably it was raining a little upon arrival. My only ticket check of the day happened on my way over to platform 4 which is set off to the side somewhat as i wanted to do the short hop to Central given the near hour wait going South again.

With a 2 minute turnaround no time to do anything but a quick pic from the buffers and i was back at General only 6 minutes after leaving. Chirk was one of 2 remaining stations to do and where i hoped to get off site and explore. More rain however, and i wasn't in the mood to risk it so the aqueduct will have to wait for another time. I have done this before in a non rail based activity but its quite a thing. Ruabon was the last new station and i just sat it out in the splendid shelter there and had the last of my limited supplies sourced from the local co-op at Gobowen earlier. A day for completion rather than exploring. Its an area i know well in any event and i just had to accept the waits and the busy services. So glad that is out of the way though.

I shall be back in the same part of Yorkshire next week for some more exploration with attempts at rare track and awkward stations. They really do abound here. There is also a need for track completion as i left too many loose ends after Thursdays abrupt ending.

CreweDepart
6.16​
*****AWstationsplatforms
SandbachArrive
6.21​
P2AWwait 37mcompletedcompleted
SandbachDepart
6.58​
P3AW
Holmes ChapelArrive
7.02​
P1AWwait 25m
Holmes ChapelDepart
7.27​
P2AW
CreweArrive
7.39​
*****AWdrive + wait
Relocate to*********************111m
ChesterDepart
9.30​
*****AW
GobowenArrive
10.04​
P1AWwait 41m
GobowenDepart
10.45​
P2AW
Wrexham GeneralArrive
11.03​
P2AWwait 24m
Wrexham GeneralDepart
11.27​
P4AW
Wrexham CentralArrive
11.29​
SingleAWwait 3m
Wrexham CentralDepart
11.32​
SingleAW
1​
1​
Wrexham GeneralArrive
11.33​
P4AWwait 18m
Wrexham GeneralDepart
11.51​
P1AW
ChirkArrive
12.04​
P2AWwait 52m
ChirkDepart
12.56​
P1AW
1​
2​
RuabonArrive
13.01​
P1AWwait 60m
RuabonDepart
14.01​
P2AW
1​
2​
GobowenArrive
14.12​
P1AWwait 32m
GobowenDepart
14.44​
P2AW
ChesterArrive
15.18​
*****AW

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good news that you have plenty to keep you occupied on your future travels then! A rather productive little trip there, even if it was a lot of time hanging around with a book.

I have to say, I'm wondering what your 1,000th station will be!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect the odds of Teesside Airport station reopening are very low, if anything it will be like those stations between Stone & Stoke and be a replacement minibus if anybody kicks up a big fuss.

Agreed about doing those stations between Shrewsbury & Wrexham being mad on a Saturday, all the overcrowding!

I guess you will be back at Wrexham General to do platform 3 at some point. From memory has at least 2 departures to the south (one around the time of the southbound WAG as that skips the 3 stations and around the time Avanti are meant to run the Wrexham terminator voyager. Plus one arrival late at night from the Bidston line.

All platforms

Good news that you have plenty to keep you occupied on your future travels then! A rather productive little trip there, even if it was a lot of time hanging around with a book.

I have to say, I'm wondering what your 1,000th station will be!
The inevitable long waits that are encountered are certainly less taxing than before, but i also like to get off station when the "Goldilocks Zone" weather turns up, and have a good explore too.

Hmm.. I haven't really considered what my 1000th station might be as of now. I am already past 2000 for the number of platforms completed at completed stations so thats a thing thats gone already. I also have maybe 150 or so other platforms completed at stations i'm still not finished with. Hmm... It will be either a random station or it will be something like Birmingham New St with its 49 variants. I only have 1 of these left to do so maybe... Not going to overthink it for sure.

All platforms

I suspect the odds of Teesside Airport station reopening are very low, if anything it will be like those stations between Stone & Stoke and be a replacement minibus if anybody kicks up a big fuss.

Agreed about doing those stations between Shrewsbury & Wrexham being mad on a Saturday, all the overcrowding!

I guess you will be back at Wrexham General to do platform 3 at some point. From memory has at least 2 departures to the south (one around the time of the southbound WAG as that skips the 3 stations and around the time Avanti are meant to run the Wrexham terminator voyager. Plus one arrival late at night from the Bidston line.
I was saving P3 at General for when i do the bottom half of the Borderlands line for which i have a Sunday itinerary planned, as this gives 2 bites of the P3 cherry to go for and the timetable for once is relatively kind with the awkward timings normally seen at Hawarden as an early opportunity to do it with a decent gap between services is possible. P3 also has a weekday service from/to Shrewsbury i believe and that might be a nice one to do on a quiet day - though i haven't looked into this yet.

Each timetable change brings new opportunities and December even sees one of my nemesis platforms being timetabled as a terminator/starter thus making it much more likely to actually happen. (Bromsgrove P1). Actually i think it will be more important to see what is being lost and focus on those aspects as who knows when/if it will come back outside engineering days. My other nemesis platform is Wellingborough P3 of course and i have just spotted there is a whole day of working P3/P4 next sunday and i may just do it more than once! Pretty sure it includes the tunnel at Wymington too... I feel an East Midlands Rover purchase might be necessary..

Kite159

Veteran Member
I believe if the train goes into P3 from the south at Wellingborough then it has to use the tunnel. I guess the route via Market Harbrough is closed again with the intercity units going on a tour of Corby

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The inevitable long waits that are encountered are certainly less taxing than before, but i also like to get off station when the "Goldilocks Zone" weather turns up, and have a good explore too.

Hmm.. I haven't really considered what my 1000th station might be as of now. I am already past 2000 for the number of platforms completed at completed stations so thats a thing thats gone already. I also have maybe 150 or so other platforms completed at stations i'm still not finished with. Hmm... It will be either a random station or it will be something like Birmingham New St with its 49 variants. I only have 1 of these left to do so maybe... Not going to overthink it for sure.

Fair game, it's definitely something that shouldn't be dwelled upon too much. I'm approximately 10 miles short this morning of 10,000 lifetime cycle miles (I've lost some data in a farce with Google Docs sadly) since 23rd February 2020, and as the weather is nice today here I plan to clear that goal today.

I have been trying to decide how to achieve this goal, by which I mean which cycle do I take out today and what route will I take? Will I clear 10,000 somewhere then ride back, or will it be a route that ends on 10,000 (or just over) at the end of the ride? Of course, it shouldn't really matter as the main thing is that it's enjoyable, but I'd like to know roughly where I clear the goal!

One thing I am sure of, and that is that it must be very local, as it's where I started cycling in 2020 and it feels only right to clear 10,000 here. The main reason why I'm detailing my train of thought here is that I can see why all the planning of your platforming etc is fun and engaging!

Bromsgrove p1 I hope will turn up without too many issues come the timetable change! Wellingborough seems to be a huge thorn in your paw, and that tunnel at Wymington annoys me as it is the only PSUL bit in that part of the world that I want. I've gone for it in the past and went mainline instead, which is most frustrating. You know, this reminds me that I have a number of 222s still to score for haulage, I may have to start looking into changing that!

Wrexham p3, isn't that Shrewsbury service only at silly o'clock in the morning and evening?

All platforms

Fair game, it's definitely something that shouldn't be dwelled upon too much. I'm approximately 10 miles short this morning of 10,000 lifetime cycle miles (I've lost some data in a farce with Google Docs sadly) since 23rd February 2020, and as the weather is nice today here I plan to clear that goal today.

I have been trying to decide how to achieve this goal, by which I mean which cycle do I take out today and what route will I take? Will I clear 10,000 somewhere then ride back, or will it be a route that ends on 10,000 (or just over) at the end of the ride? Of course, it shouldn't really matter as the main thing is that it's enjoyable, but I'd like to know roughly where I clear the goal!

One thing I am sure of, and that is that it must be very local, as it's where I started cycling in 2020 and it feels only right to clear 10,000 here. The main reason why I'm detailing my train of thought here is that I can see why all the planning of your platforming etc is fun and engaging!

Bromsgrove p1 I hope will turn up without too many issues come the timetable change! Wellingborough seems to be a huge thorn in your paw, and that tunnel at Wymington annoys me as it is the only PSUL bit in that part of the world that I want. I've gone for it in the past and went mainline instead, which is most frustrating. You know, this reminds me that I have a number of 222s still to score for haulage, I may have to start looking into changing that!

Wrexham p3, isn't that Shrewsbury service only at silly o'clock in the morning and evening?
I very much like clearing goals too but it would need some pretty nifty planning to get a specific station completed as 1000. Something to consider...

With 10 miles to go to the 10,000 - which is also a pretty nifty achievement by the way it can only really be local unless you are going to haul your bike somewhere first i guess.

I guess the planning element is integral to the process and has to be a fun thing too. Why do anything voluntarily if its not fun? I have whiled away many hours crafting the perfect itinerary only for it to go bang when the first cancellation comes along however so a philosophical approach is also necessary.

I am sure these things change every timetable but currently its a very civilised time for the Shrewsbury/General service. I think it gets in just before 8am and leaves just after.

Ah.. Wymington. Well Sunday 04 September is my/your lucky day as it appears to be in use for the whole day. I haven't checked every service but both ways are in use and as mentioned earlier i might just have 2 out and backs through it. Not sure where the embargo is but it may just be the fast lines in the vicinity as a pretty healthy Sunday service is being offered - but using the slows only. Perfect for my paranoia.... Difficult for a last minute platform alteration haha

All platforms

I believe if the train goes into P3 from the south at Wellingborough then it has to use the tunnel. I guess the route via Market Harbrough is closed again with the intercity units going on a tour of Corby
I don't have an up to date track map as the 4th line went in after it was published so i can't check, but it sounds right. I know P4 can be used to access the up Fast because i have done it..

It seems to be a pretty full Sunday service with 2 trains per hour using both P3 and P4 with all the expected station calls in place. The services i have looked at only use the slows between Harrowden and Sharnbrook junctions so the embargo must be pretty localised.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I cleared 10,000 in the Croft Castle area of Herefordshire, I don't sadly have an exact location but that is as close as I've worked it out as. Good enough I'd say. I went on a coverage mission in the northerly part of Herefordshire today, using 150260+153318+153906 both ways to/from Leominster to achieve that. It was meant to just be in Hereford today, but when I saw the pair of 153s and 150 on RTT I could not really say no!

As for Wymington, 4th September I've got family visiting the area, so I'm not likely to be going too far that weekend. If it's meant to be for me to get it done, I'll get it eventually. I want to head that way soon, so I can try out the 360s on EMR, as I have a number of those that I didn't get in Anglia.

Kite159

Veteran Member

P3 at Wrexham to/from Shrewsbury:
0700 Shrewsbury to Wrexham General
0750 Wrexham General to Shrewsbury
2046 Wrexham General to Shrewsbury

Although I've noticed next week P3 towards the Bidston line gets some use outside unsociable times due to engineering works:
0809 Wrexham General to Bidston (this one be semifast)
0834½ Wrexham General to Bidston
1847 Bidston to Wrexham General
----
I believe the track layout at Wellingborough you can cross over to the fasts from P4 (as that's the usual route) but you can't cross over into P3 from the fasts, last point of access is by crossing over at Sharnbrook junction

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220828-192626.png
    Screenshot_20220828-192626.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 9

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, I've learnt something new today!

The morning one runs after the Holyhead - Cardiff WAG which runs non stop between Wrexham & Shrewsbury, and the evening connects with the Avanti Wrexham terminator (when that runs) to allow any passengers for stations beyond Wrexham an extra service towards Shrewsbury.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The morning one runs after the Holyhead - Cardiff WAG which runs non stop between Wrexham & Shrewsbury, and the evening connects with the Avanti Wrexham terminator (when that runs) to allow any passengers for stations beyond Wrexham an extra service towards Shrewsbury.

Makes sense that, I will have to try and factor it in next month, assuming I don't change plans before then!

All platforms

Day 158: Tuesday 30/08/2022 - North East Rover - £75.40 - 4 in 8 Days - Day 4. Selby to Broomfleet - £7.25 - Anytime Single. Broomfleet to Gilberdyke - £2.70 - Anytime Single. Gilberdyke to Hessle - £4.45 - Anytime Single. CP Station Road CP Selby £3.50. Knottingley free.
Total time today 804 mins - Time on trains 285 mins and time waiting 519 mins. Stations completed today 7. Total completed 939.

Back once more to Selby which is a really good base for this part of the world. In addition to previous comments, everything stops here and it also has a Tesco for early morning supplies! As we know the service patterns at the lesser used stations are, lets say eclectic, so in order to maintain any progress extra tickets are most definitely required. As i am less averse to a wait than previously i was happy to hunker down at Broomfleet and take in the early morning sunshine. I was the only person on the station for both arrival and departure and the peace and quiet which should have been the norm was spoilt by a torrent of barking dogs from what i now know to be some sort of dog rescue venture. With the only properties hereabouts being said rescue place and the signal box, it was puzzling to see a dozen cars in the car park especially given the lack of custpmers i saw. They must get a lot of doggie help before 8.00am...

Gilberdyke was next purely to reposition and then wait for the Doncaster train which has an auto call at Hessle just one stop before Hull itself. You get a great view of the Humber Bridge there if you wander off a short way and also the estuary. Hessle is situated almost opposite Barton-on-Humber station although the distance is too great to see anything unfortunately. Eventually the return to Doncaster turned up and my Rover kicked in for the rest of the day.

Off to a place i had never heard of before researching today, which is the village of Kirk Sandall and which is notable (in my eyes) for having a costcutter close by. The deli style sandwiches were too good an opportunity to pass on (for later you understand..) Back on the platform just in time for the trip one station up to Thorne North where i would have a chunky wait. With a service pattern of 2 hours this is not surprising and i got the opportunity to see quite a few full freight moves on either line to keep my interest up. Yorkshire is certainly not short of freight and freight lines for sure.

The next move was to the picturesque (well it might be?) town of Doncaster and the delights of one of the few platform zeros that can be seen on the network. I still have to visit the one at Leeds and this will then complete the Northern and Welsh versions. A very quick change of personnel and we were back up the line again, this time going all the way (ooh err missus) to Hull to complete the set of 6 platforms there and a chance to explore some more of the town. Platform 2 then - tick, and off to have a ganders at the town. I have certainly seen a lot worse and after spending some more of my hard won pension in Waterstones i wandered back to take in the sights and sounds of quite a busy station.

Saltmarshe is a trickier station than one might think with very real gaps in service but with eyes wide open and an unafraid expression on my face i set down onto the platform around 3.20pm and walked around to the Hull platform where a most excellent waiting shelter awaited me and a chance for a bit of shut eye given my post 4am start earlier. Again no other punters were around and a combo of slepp and reading helped while away the time as did more freight and of course the non stopping services. Back up to Gilberdyke eventually for another repositioning move to allow me to return to Selby and make myself ready for another trip up the line from Knottingley.

Relocation completed and a short wait for the evening service to Goole. The second of 4 stations on this line before Goole is reached is Hensall, and which is North Yorkshires least used station. Not much happening here apart from the odd freight train (again) although i did go off and have a look around just in case. the only shop i could find was a local train modelling shop - not going to get much passing custom for sure. Perhaps its a destination shop? One thing it does have is one of the best rural waiting rooms i have found so far. It can easily accommodate 4 or 5 tramps on the blue painted benches and is a proper weatherproofed room. I fully expected it to be locked shut on approach but was pleasantly surprised. A complete contrast to Whitley Bridge where no seating whatsoever was provided! Still just about light for the arrival of the return service though not much to see by the time Knottingley was reached and i departed.

An interesting day despite the big service gaps but there really isn't much one can do to avoid this given the rules of my quest/journey and it didn't feel too much like a chore. I am sure it would most definitely be a chore in the middle of winter however. One of the reasons i want to do more of Yorkshire in the near future. Lets see what happens - for now i have one more day here on ths Rover and it will be a biggie and more track focused.

SelbyDepart
6.50​
*****NTstationsplatforms
BroomfleetArrive
7.12​
P1NTwait 65mcompletedcompleted
BroomfleetDepart
8.17​
P2NT
1​
2​
GilberdykeArrive
8.21​
P2NTwait 4m
GilberdykeDepart
8.25​
P1NT
HessleArrive
8.44​
P2NTwait 17m
HessleDepart
9.01​
P1NT
1​
2​
Kirk SandallArrive
9.49​
P1NTwait 22m
Kirk SandallDepart
10.11​
P2NT
1​
2​
Thorne NorthArrive
10.22​
P2NTwait 78m
Thorne NorthDepart
11.40​
P1NT
1​
2​
DoncasterArrive
12.00​
P0NTwait 5m
DoncasterDepart
12.05​
P0NT
HullArrive
13.12​
P2NTwait 90m
HullDepart
14.42​
P2NT
1​
6​
SaltmarsheArrive
15.21​
P2NTwait 78m
SaltmarsheDepart
16.39​
P1NT
1​
2​
GilberdykeArrive
16.44​
P1NTwait 17m
GilberdykeDepart
17.01​
P2NT
SelbyArrive
17.28​
*****NTdrive + wait
Relocate to*********************67 mins
KnottingleyDepart
18.35​
*****NT
HensallArrive
18.46​
P1NTwait 76m
HensallDepart
20.02​
P2NT
1​
2​
KnottingleyArrive
20.14​
*****NT

All platforms

Day 159: Wednesday - North East Rover - £75.40 - 4 in 8 Days - Day 4. Micklefield to Selby - £4.95 - Anytime Return. CP Micklefield free. Station Road CP Selby £3.50.
Total time today 996 mins - Time on trains 431 mins and time waiting 565 mins. Stations completed today 3. Total completed 942.

With no cancellations or delays of any significance yesterday i was hopeful today would be the same. Yes and no it turned out. Mickleby was the start location as this allowed a service into Selby P3b, very much an awkward platform variant. I thought long and hard about what to do about platform 3a as 2 options presented but in the end i opted for the long wait and the service into Leeds which gives an opportunity to do South Milford which is a fine enough place but not anything of note perhaps. Back in selby for the umpteenth time it became clear my next service would be delayed due to a track inspection and so i opted for the next service to get the hell out of Dodge as it looked like it may take an hour or so to work through. P16 at Leeds was promised by the TP service but as it was 3 car it was in fact p16a which i don't need so once in Leeds i opted for track by hopping on a York service which landed in p6 and a needed variant before immediately returning but alighting at Micklefield as i needed to relocate for this evenings shenanigans, and i may as well do it now.

Selby was chosen as a handy stopping off point at the end of my itinerary so once again i stocked up on supplies and waited for the non stop service to York which goes straight up the ECML and completes a track requirement. A layover (what else!) in York allowed me to explore the station in a bit more detail and get a sense of what services used which platforms. I have been to York on the train quite a few times over the years and is one of my go to places in the UK, but never had the time before to have a good old root around. As today is track focused i waited for the stopping version back to Selby to turn up. Yet another use of P1 saw me back down the line stopping at Church Fenton and Sherburn again but this time taking the curve back into Selby. Another big tick but boy where does the time go??

Another hiccup on the boards meant another trip up to York in a bid to get something else on my own board and i opted for a quick trip to Malton and back on the TP service. Very much of a surprise then when i alighted on a single platform having not done any research ahead of time. It appears it never really had an overbridge is the very simplistic explanation and when the other connections stopped with Beeching or before they just rermoved all the platforms. Not quite right but close enough..... A very pretty bit of track to get there and back for sure. The return was a 6 car - and a fairly full one to boot and it was bound for Manchester so i decided to have another go at P16 in Leeds, which was a worthwhile decision. Another chance to have a look at this part of the station again ensued although by this time it was getting rather busy. A real minus point for Leeds is the woeful amount of seating on some platforms so i headed for the middle island where there is.

The evenings entertainment would start with the evening train to Goole via Castleford. A very rattly 150 was the chosen chariot and was very full at departure time, though it quickly got easier as we called at Woodlesford and Castleford. Lots of evidence of the new platform going in there though its probably many months away from opening. I will return to Castleford later but not to stop! Glasshoughton and Pontefract Monkhill saw many more leave the service and by the time we left Knottingley we down to me and 2 others. Staff training on ths service -probably route learning was in evidence and with 2 previous trips i knew i had to be back of train to alight at Snaith. By this time it was down to a single line and due to the signal placement and the level crossing which has accompanied all stations here so far the front of train was slightly off the front. The back cab door was the only way off and all three of us dropped down onto the surface. I stayed to take in the station which is right in the village and from research i knew i would end up in the local pub for a small refreshment. A more conventional shelter greeted me and off the back of the platform there were 3 large boards with loads of info on the village, history and walks of the area. Given 3 services a day a truly monumental amount of info.. So Snaith gets my vote for station of the line so far although Rawcliffe will have to wait for another time. Suitably refreshed and with the light starting to fade i was back on board for the return all the way to Leeds and another new platform. 2 more followed by taking a late Manchester service and turning at Dewsbury.

Fifth and last new Leeds platform of the day was P12a with the one a day to Hull via Castleford so basically straight through there, then using South Milford to Gascoigne Wood junctions before landing in Selby. I think i'm right in thinking South Milford to/from Gascoigne Wood junctions only get used twice a day so no options currently but this one. The reverse is super early by the way. It was pitch black and i got no sense of where i was so i will definitely be doing the reverse next year in full light (if it stays in the timetable). Quite tired upon returning so glad for a few days off before returning to the rails at the weekend (hopefully)..

MicklefieldDepart
6.37​
*****NTstationsplatforms
SelbyArrive
6.53​
P3bNTwait 94mcompletedcompleted
SelbyDepart
8.27​
P3aNT
South MilfordArrive
8.36​
P2NTwait 47m
South MilfordDepart
9.23​
P1NT
1​
2​
SelbyArrive
9.31​
P1NTwait 13m
SelbyDepart
9.44​
P2TP
LeedsArrive
10.05​
P16aTPwait 13m
LeedsDepart
10.18​
P7aNT
YorkArrive
10.51​
P6NTwait 16m
YorkDepart
11.07​
P6NT
MicklefieldArrive
11.21​
*****NTdrive + wait
Relocate to*********************73 mins
SelbyDepart
12.34​
*****NT
YorkArrive
12.54​
P1NTwait 50m
YorkDepart
13.44​
P1NT
SelbyArrive
14.11​
P1NTwait 21m
SelbyDepart
14.32​
P2NT
YorkArrive
14.53​
P1NTwait 23m
YorkDepart
15.16​
P2TP
MaltonArrive
15.40​
SingleTPwait 18m
MaltonDepart
15.58​
SingleTP
1​
1​
LeedsArrive
17.00​
P16TPwait 59m
LeedsDepart
17.59​
P17aNT
SnaithArrive
18.54​
SingleNTwait 63m
SnaithDepart
19.57​
SingleNT
1​
1​
LeedsArrive
20.50​
P13bNTwait 28m
LeedsDepart
21.18​
P9bNT
DewsburyArrive
21.32​
P2NTwait 13m
DewsburyDepart
21.45​
P1NT
LeedsArrive
22.06​
P15aNTwait 34m
LeedsDepart
22.40​
P12aNT
SelbyArrive
23.13​
*****NT

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another good day and another station on the Goole line bites the dust.

I've only ever done the line beyond Castleford twice, both times in darkness. Its on my list to revisit (preferably heading towards Castleford) at some point when in daylight.

I suspect it will be a case of trying to do it on a day of engineering works closing the line via Cross Gates

All platforms

Another good day and another station on the Goole line bites the dust.

I've only ever done the line beyond Castleford twice, both times in darkness. Its on my list to revisit (preferably heading towards Castleford) at some point when in daylight.

I suspect it will be a case of trying to do it on a day of engineering works closing the line via Cross Gates
There are not many opportunities for daytime running beyond Castleford in either direction, even in the summer. (Quite a few in the dark still) I am still wondering whether it will be light enough to do the Saturday only Hull to Leeds via Castleford ex Selby 5.22am. I think i have missed the boat this year given sunrise is c.6am at the moment but as it isn't pathed that way from December i may just give it a go in any event. I should see more than last night however. I can always come back another year....

Or.... i could just be super patient and wait for the engineering schedule to make it happen.. I can't do it this week as I am being brave and doing the earlier of the two summer specials to Skegness and fitting a few other things around that.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't there meant to be a new station between Cross Gates & Garforth (Thorpe Park [which will just cause confusion with tourists!]?) that might get some diverts.

Interesting that you are on the Skeggy 180 on Saturday, as I'm planning to be on it as well, with a walk later in the day (unless the forecast changes from 'light showers' to 'heavy rain') from Boston towards Hubberts Bridge to inspect the rebuilt platform

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You've had a busy couple of days there, nicely done with the unusual track too! Sunrise yesterday was at 06:22, so I think you'll miss out on seeing a lot around there if you do the early bird special working. I can't honestly imagine you'll see anything terribly exciting anyway.

I hope your couple of days rest away from the rails have been enjoyable, and good luck with the Skegness line!

All platforms

Was this actually announced on the train? Certainly wasn’t the time I tried to go to Snaith and had to put up with Google instead!
Having done Whitley Bridge and Hensall in the last 10 days prior to Snaith i was asked both times where i was travelling to and having been (almost) caught out by short platforms and is it front or back exit previously, i asked why he was asking - short platform at Snaith was the answer.. Back of train to set down and front of train to alight. I think the 150 could have fit on but the network deem otherwise. Certainly the placement of the signal on the platform for the return would be very sporty to allow this. It would have been easier to announce maybe but would you trust the onboard comms on these old boneshakers? Maximum of 3 people to ask anyway after Knottingley haha

All platforms

Isn't there meant to be a new station between Cross Gates & Garforth (Thorpe Park [which will just cause confusion with tourists!]?) that might get some diverts.

Interesting that you are on the Skeggy 180 on Saturday, as I'm planning to be on it as well, with a walk later in the day (unless the forecast changes from 'light showers' to 'heavy rain') from Boston towards Hubberts Bridge to inspect the rebuilt platform
A good point about possible diverts. I had a quick scout around for news on the project but its all gone a bit quiet, so probably not anytime soon. The only one of the three Leeds based new stations that i can find definite news about is the new White Rose station, which i think has started ti eb built, and should replace Cottingley eventually. There certainly seems to be a plethora of new stations in the mix at the moment so at least i will have something to keep me occupied in future years too.

I shall be boarding at Derby so doing the whole route. The Grantham avoiding line is ostensibly my goal here but am hoping for platform 3 at Skegness for either the Special or standard service. Last year it was p4 and p5 that was used but its a shot to nothing. I will increase my ice cream count if nothing else. I just hope to get a carriage without too many young tearways, though we are nearing the end of the summer season.. probably front or rear whichever is furthest from the stairs at Derby. I hadn't realised Hubberts Bridge had a rebuilt platform but it did look rather spiffing last August when i visited. It seems new platform signs are always put up on new platforms/stations but p1 for Skegness bound trains was missing when i visited. Why it wasn't in the budget to replace at the same time i do not know.

All platforms

You've had a busy couple of days there, nicely done with the unusual track too! Sunrise yesterday was at 06:22, so I think you'll miss out on seeing a lot around there if you do the early bird special working. I can't honestly imagine you'll see anything terribly exciting anyway.

I hope your couple of days rest away from the rails have been enjoyable, and good luck with the Skegness line!
I think i might still get it under my belt whilst it is still in the timetable and make a return visit if it materialises again in the summer. At least i know its a possibility. I think sunrise in Leeds is a few minutes ahead but by the time i can return there it will be more like 6.30 so gloomy if i am lucky at best.

Just recharging my batteries and a day out to Pendle Hill earlier was excellent as it always is. We will be holidaying in Shropshire from 17 Sept for a week and hope to visit Ludlow, Shrewsbury and a whole host of other (small) places around the Shropshire hills. I may get an early morning bonus at Welshpool for some track but i haven't looked at timetables yet to see what if anything is feasible before a late breakfast. In the meantime i want to go fairly hard whilst the light is favourable so after my East Midlands Rover starting tomorrow i may have time to fit another 3 in 7 or 4 in 8 rover somewhere.