• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How difficult is it to arrive or leave at all timetabled platforms. 5 year project to achieve this.

All platforms

This is an attempt to post my progress as to which platforms i have visited. If the post disappears - or the attachment disappears it hasn't worked as planned. I did try and look up how to do this but not a lot of info exists. So its dead easy or dead difficult i guess

Edit: So far so good.... I have noticed that some of the fast line platform info needs updating - darn it..

Attachments

• All Platforms progress.xls
    543.5 KB · Views: 67
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All platforms

Day 318: Technically very late 29/01/2024, the fullest of full days 30/01/2024 + the first bit of 31/01/2024 - Crewe to Garelochhead - £148.50 - Advance Single? Garelochhead to Cardross - £3.15 - Anytime Single. Cardross to Helensburgh Central - £2.35 - Anytime Return. Cardross to Dalreoch - £1.65 - Anytime Return. Dalreoch to Helensburgh Central - £2.90 - Anytime Return. Dalreoch to Balloch - £1.90 - Off-peak Return. Dumbarton East to Helensburgh Central - £3.10 - Off-peak Return. (it would have been another from Dalreoch but the station machines won't accept a start point different than the station you are buying from - or none that i could see). Strathclyde Roundabout - £7.40. Dalmuir to Crewe - £148.50 - Advance Single?. CP Railway Street Car Park Crewe - £15.00. After the event (and not on the website) i noticed my ticket covered until 8am the next day so could have just bought a 1 day ticket at £7.50
Total time today 1772 mins - time on trains 1059 mins and time waiting 713 mins. Stations completed today 25. Total completed 1674. Platforms completed at completed stations 3842.

"Finally, a trip on the sleeper proper" or "A full day to the West of Glasgow"

With late news breaking (at least to me) that the Sunnyside Loop/Line would be in use this week after a very long hiatus as a planned move, i decided i really wanted to do this. With no seat availabilty (more on that later) i finally took the plunge for a more civilised version by stumping up the hard earned for an actual berth - not that i would be in it for any great length of time. Looking ahead, the seats and a full day in Edinburgh/Glasgow from/to Crewe is a pretty efficient way of doing the Central belt and with everything at Off-peak prices till the end of June (with some caveats) i am pretty certain i will be back to do more like this. Moving to another coach in Edinburgh for Glasgow trips does not fill me with joy however. Hmm.. i could go further North towards Fort William though..... One to ponder.

I didn't fall asleep straight away after boarding at Crewe just before midnight despite nipping to the lounge car for a late dram, with the lounge lights were dimmed far too prematuirely not long after setting off. Not impressed with the service going North to be honest. I set my alarm to view Mosside and Sunnyside from the comfort of my cabin around 5am, and enough arc lights were around to see a good chunk of the proceedings as we proceeded at a very sedate pace. Back to the land of Nod briefly before alarm number 2 alerted me as we left Helensburgh Upper, and so enough time to get ready before setting down at a very frosty Garelochhead. There was a lack of water after leaving Edinburgh so there was no option but to use the facilties at the end of the seated portion which to my surprise was completely empty. Perhaps all set down at Dalmuir?? (Glasgow Queen St LL is pick up only). Weird...

I was not expecting frost to be honest but as i arrived i was treated to a masterclass of how to salt a station with the Railway representative working quickly, methodically and very accurately as all platform faces were covered as well as the (small) Car Park and approach. Taciturn chap not given to being distracted by small talk - or even a friendly greeting if i'm honest. Can't fault the work in any way so its all good.

A bit of a wait in the cold followed, and with no shelter to speak of it was a case of finding a spot out out of the wind on the lee side for the most part. There were definitely some stunning views down to the Loch and Town albeit it was still dark - perhaps atmospeheric rather than stunning actually. Quite a few seabirds could be heard, and not just the caterwauling of the Seagull types, and once again i found myself enjoying the solitude of a first station of the day, although a few other punters did arrive just before the Queen Street service did.

This was the 5.17 from Oban, and was certainly well patronised by the time it left Garelochhead, perhaps surprisingly so. It wouldn't reach Queen Street before 9.00am so its a heck of a commute for a few hardy souls. I was only staying on until the second stop at Cardross with Helensburgh Upper left for another day as it is best approached from the North, and then returning North unless a wait of an hour or three is your thing. This is something i will have a go at when the days are a bit longer - for now i would be spending the rest of the day covering as much as i could on the lines down to Partick. Having lived to the North of Glasgow for almost 14 years in the last century (sounds a long time ago saying it like that) i do have some prior knowledge of quite a few places i would be visiting and passing through today and it was a bit of a nostalgic fest if i am honest.

Whilst not as tricky as some, the 3 platforms at Helensburgh Central do not receive equal love from visiting services and i had to plan for two very specific services in order to do this with any degree of efficiency, if that's the right word. First off was to set down at Cardross, cross the bridge and wait for the Helensburgh Central service which would be using P2 which nearly all services use. A 10 minute gap before returning down the line and just enough time to leave the station and source breakfast with Tesco and Greggs both vying for my custom. It was a bit tight timewise, but i was safely back on board and heading for Dalreoch, which was at the far west of the Strathclyde Roundabout ticket i would be utilising later on. For now i would be concentrating on the area outside this hence all the tickets. With services crossing at Dalreoch i had to wait nigh on 30 minutes before returning to Helensburgh Central and the planned use of P1, but with a much tighter turnaround time. Craigendoran is the next station down on the Single line and i chose a linear hop there, so a second 30 minute wait was inevitable, but i did go off platform and had a brisk walk in an effort to keep warm. An unexpected visit to the local Morrisons saw me stocking up with supplies before returning to admire the Lochside views.

One place i have never been to is Dumbarton Castle, which is not far from Dumbarton Central (Dumbarton East is probably a bit closer thinking about it). Its quite an imposing thing situated on Dumbarton Rock and visible for miles around. Whilst time didn't permit me to go and visit this time it is a reminder that i will go there on some future occasion. Dumbarton Central also has a third platform loop with a well maintained edge, but currently no services. there was a sign at the bottom of the stairs up to P2 and P3 stating that P3 was for trains to Cumbernauld but i am guessing it was still used until fairly recently, as even the wiki page mentions 3 active platforms (not that its content should be read as gospel of course). For now i am treating this as an unfinished station, until i can gain some clarity.

Time for another change of direction using another linear hop, this time to Balloch via Renton and Alexandria, with guess what, 2 more 30 minute waits to look forward to. I did go exploring at the two interim stops as, guess what again, it was still blooming cold and i was glad to find a local cafe where i could get a warming drink. I know Balloch quite well so it was no hardship to take a quick photo or two before hopping back on board and quickly heading back down the line. I remember using the cycleway from Glasgow on a few occasions back in the day - happy memories.

My next station was Dumbarton East where i would have a longish dwell time of my own, as i would be waiting for the service using P3 at Helensburgh Central. I realised i didn't have a ticket for this last push outside the "Zone" and so attempted to buy one from the machine. I couldn't find a way to change the start location so ended up with a slightly more expensive one than necessary. In the scheme of things i am not going to stamp my foot over this oversight, but every little helps i guess.

With Helensburgh finally in my rear view mirror i could spend the rest of my time inching closer to Glasgow, criss crossing as much track as i could whilst till maintaining progress. Dalmuir was first arrving in P4 and leaving back up the line from P3 as i still needed the 2 interim stations of Kilpatrick and Bowling, both close by the Erskine Bridge which i have used countless times over the years. A very differenmt perspective from the stations for sure. Having to make another visit to Dumbarton Central to get myself back on track it was off to Drumry and then Singer before a visit to Anniesland and then Westerton on the less direct route to Partick once Dalmuir is reached. With more than one service calling at stations now the wait times were far more acceptable and after turning at Hyndland it was off to Milngavie and a tight connection to navigate. Positioned at the front of the train there was just enough time for a quick pic before scooting round to P2 and onto the waiting to depart service South. Phew, that was a tight one. I had a leisurely wait at Bearsden and then Hillfoot with a noticably more upmarket crowd in evidence before my first visit to Partick station - which was a surprise. Far more modern than i was expecting, and clearly a significant interchange with its Underground connection as well as a whole slew of different services on offer. It was also the first place today i had seen a ticket barrier, although it has to be said the ticket checking on board was fairly thorough until about 1pm with my various tickets inspected on all but one service i think. After 1pm they became virtually non-existent for some reason.

It was very much dark again by the time i reached Dalmuir again, this time easing into the bay at P5, before departing a few moments later down the Yoker Line stopping at err Yoker, then Clydebank and Scotstounhill before returning to Dalmuir P3 for track, and then Dalmuir P4 for the same reason making my way to Glasgow Central for a meal (pie) break, but via Jordanhill and Garscadden. About 10 minutes later i as ensconsed in my favourite city centre pub, The Pot Still for a pie (Mince and tatties) a Pint (Tennants) and an expensive Whisky chaser (Ballechin Madeira cask) which whiled away 90 mins or so in convivial company.

All that remained was to make my back to Dalmuir via a stopover at Partick to ensure i landed in P1. I did nod off for a moment or two at Partick and missed my first of 3 possible trains so that was a bit of a moment before i realised all was not lost. When calling at Dalmuir earlier i was assured the waiting room would be open until the sleeper departed, but that basically was a big fat lie, and feedback has been given on this point. It was not a pleasant half hour that. Once on board all was forgiven and i made my way to the lounge car so i could have a final dram and watch the world go by (until Mossend at least). I fell asleep all right this time back in my cabin after setting my trusty alwarm once more. Arrival into Crewe was a bit earlier than i expected but not too early that i wasn't ready to set down. I was back home by 6.15 and a bonus hour or two's sleep before a final few days of commitments in Bolton. I am so glad that side of things has now ceased and for the moment there is nothing on the horizon apart from 5 nights in Scotland (Portobello, Edinburgh next week). I will probably have a day out and about whilst there but lets see.

I noticed that the promised Wolverhampton/Walsall via Pleck move was cancelled again today, the same as 2 weeks ago so i am not holding my breath for next Thursday's teaser either. It can wait for now. the Bidston P1 from the South move all last week went off as planned - except the day i had planned where it was cancelled due to a train fault. Thankfully on each occasion i hadn't set off so no hardship.

Whatever normal is, i am very much looking forward to a bunch of it for now. My instinct for this project is to still concentrate on London wherever an unusual move pops up and build something round that, or further trips to Edinburgh/Glasgow, but definitely on the seats i think to save some of the hard earned folding stuff. Probably missed loads in this report but its long enough i think. Back next weekend with an update on my first proper foray near Edinburgh. Nothing planned as yet so i need to get my skates on with this. Oh, I pretty much covered everything West of Partick on Tuesday. The exceptions are a small bit of track North of Dalmuir P1, Drumchapel, and the bay at Anniesland. Research needed for Dumbarton Central P3 of course too.

CreweDepart
23.45​
*****CSstationsplatforms
GarelochheadArrive
6.43​
P2CSwait 46mcompletedcompleted
GarelochheadDepart
7.29​
P1SR
1​
2​
CardrossArrive
7.49​
P2SRwait 18m
CardrossDepart
8.07​
P1SR
1​
2​
Helensburgh CentralArrive
8.15​
P2SRwait 10m
Helensburgh CentralDepart
8.25​
P2SR
DalreochArrive
8.38​
P1SRwait 29m
DalreochDepart
9.07​
P2SR
1​
2​
9.22​
P1SRwait 4m
9.26​
P1SR
CraigendoranArrive
9.29​
SingleSRwait 29m
CraigendoranDepart
9.58​
SingleSR
1​
1​
Dumbarton CentralArrive
10.09​
P1SRwait 15m
Dumbarton CentralDepart
10.24​
P2SR
RentonArrive
10.28​
SingleSRwait 31m
RentonDepart
10.59​
SingleSR
1​
1​
AlexandriaArrive
11.02​
SingleSRwait 28m
AlexandriaDepart
11.30​
SingleSR
1​
1​
BallochArrive
11.33​
SingleSRwait 5m
BallochDepart
11.38​
SingleSR
1​
1​
Dumbarton EastArrive
11.51​
P1SRwait 37m
Dumbarton EastDepart
12.28​
P2SR
1​
2​
12.45​
P3SRwait 10m
12.55​
P3SR
1​
3​
DalmuirArrive
13.20​
P4SRwait 30m
DalmuirDepart
13.50​
P3SR
Dumbarton CentralArrive
13.58​
P2SRwait 20m
Dumbarton CentralDepart
14.18​
P1SR
KilpatrickArrive
14.27​
P1SRwait 16m
KilpatrickDepart
14.43​
P2SR
1​
2​
BowlingArrive
14.46​
P2SRwait 9m
BowlingDepart
14.55​
P1SR
1​
2​
DrumryArrive
15.05​
P1SRwait 13m
DrumryDepart
15.18​
P2SR
1​
2​
SingerArrive
15.20​
P2SRwait 13m
SingerDepart
15.33​
P1SR
1​
2​
AnnieslandArrive
15.44​
P1SRwait 7m
AnnieslandDepart
15.51​
P2SR
WestertonArrive
15.54​
P2SRwait 7m
WestertonDepart
16.01​
P1SR
1​
2​
HyndlandArrive
16.07​
P1SRwait 12m
HyndlandDepart
16.19​
P2SR
1​
2​
MilngavieArrive
16.34​
P1SRwait 1m
MilngavieDepart
16.35​
P2SR
1​
2​
BearsdenArrive
16.40​
P1SRwait 17m
BearsdenDepart
16.57​
P2SR
1​
2​
HillfootArrive
16.58​
P1SRwait 12m
HillfootDepart
17.10​
P2SR
1​
2​
PartickArrive
17.24​
P1SRwait 19m
PartickDepart
17.43​
P2SR
1​
2​
DalmuirArrive
18.02​
P5SRwait 7m
DalmuirDepart
18.09​
P5SR
YokerArrive
18.04​
P1SRwait 23m
YokerDepart
18.27​
P2SR
1​
2​
ClydebankArrive
18.29​
P2SRwait 4m
ClydebankDepart
18.33​
P1SR
1​
2​
ScotstounhillArrive
18.39​
P1SRwait 21m
ScotstounhillDepart
19.00​
P2SR
1​
2​
DalmuirArrive
19.11​
P3SRwait 19m
DalmuirDepart
19.30​
P4SR
JordanhillArrive
19.42​
P1SRwait 5m
JordanhillDepart
19.47​
P2SR
1​
2​
GarscaddenArrive
19.52​
P2SRwait 14m
GarscaddenDepart
20.06​
P1SR
1​
2​
Glasgow CentralArrive
20.23​
P16SRwait 120m
Glasgow CentralDepart
22.23​
P17SR
PartickArrive
22.31​
P2SRwait 34m
PartickDepart
23.05​
P2SR
DalmuirArrive
23.23​
P1SRwait 28m
DalmuirDepart
23.51​
P2CS
1​
5​
CreweArrive
5.17​
*****CS

Last edited:

Turbo004

Sounds a very good trip North if a little cold. Got to say I'm a little envious that you managed to do Sunnyside Loop on the Sleeper. Shame the lounge shut so soon after leaving Crewe. When i last did it from Crewe North about 15 years ago it seemed that they would keep serving until we went to bed. Love the sleeper and Scotland.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I want to say the 3rd platform at Dumbarton Central was a victim of the post Covid Scotrail cutbacks where it was used by a half-hourly Dumbarton Central - Springburn* stopping service [allowing the Balloch - Airdrie trains to skip Bowling & Kilpatrick] (*which at one point also extended to Cumbernauld before Cumbernauld -> Falkirk was wired up). In my eyes I would probably put it down as engineering works & disruption only (i.e. if a Balloch train is heavily delayed it could get spun at Dumbarton Central].

I suspect regarding the lounge, they are probably not used to passengers for berths boarding at Crewe.

All platforms

Sounds a very good trip North if a little cold. Got to say I'm a little envious that you managed to do Sunnyside Loop on the Sleeper. Shame the lounge shut so soon after leaving Crewe. When i last did it from Crewe North about 15 years ago it seemed that they would keep serving until we went to bed. Love the sleeper and Scotland.
I suspect regarding the lounge, they are probably not used to passengers for berths boarding at Crewe.
I didn't mention it but the service going South from Dalmuir was exemplary. If i had wanted i could have had anything from the food menu, and indeed i had a warming toastie after that wait in the open. It also helped while away the time as i awaited the fun at Summerlee/Sunnyside. Apparently the bar should also be available until a lot nearer Edinburgh - because i asked. Obviously you are wasting a chunk of shut eye time by doing this, but its possible. I think the limiting factor is that the Lounge Car gets detached at Edinburgh and just the 2 Sleeper Cars get shunted onto the very back of the rake going to London. The thought of doing the seats beyond Edinburgh going North on the Highland version does put me off slightly as you would have to relocate at silly o'clock. The Southbound is just about tolerable. Interestingly, there were only 2 punters on the seats going South on the Fort William departure - again because i am nosy and asked the question, so not full of bleary eyed rail enthusiasts, as i thought there might be. I have to say i very much enjoyed the whole sleeping on a train thing - but such an ouchie on the price though i was paying a bit of a premium as a last minute booker - £125.40 seems to be the cheapest (ha!).
I want to say the 3rd platform at Dumbarton Central was a victim of the post Covid Scotrail cutbacks where it was used by a half-hourly Dumbarton Central - Springburn* stopping service [allowing the Balloch - Airdrie trains to skip Bowling & Kilpatrick] (*which at one point also extended to Cumbernauld before Cumbernauld -> Falkirk was wired up). In my eyes I would probably put it down as engineering works & disruption only (i.e. if a Balloch train is heavily delayed it could get spun at Dumbarton Central].
This makes sense - there doesn't seem to be any official announcements/proclamations etc that services have been officially curtailed on a permanent basis, so essentially covid cuts that haven't returned. It has gone into the possible pile for now.

gazr

I'm sure you've already seen this on UTTracker, but it seems some services (3 to be precise) will be using Huntingdon P1 Bay platform soon o_O Didn't think that would be happening again.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm sure you've already seen this on UTTracker, but it seems some services (3 to be precise) will be using Huntingdon P1 Bay platform soon o_O Didn't think that would be happening again.
Related to the Peterborough block I would presume? Ie the 1P05 0659 Huntingdon to London Kings Cross this Sunday which stables overnight in Huntingdon P1, with another service overnight on P2

Does a 8 coach 700 even fit in platform 1, or will it be a single 387?

gazr

Related to the Peterborough block I would presume? Ie the 1P05 0659 Huntingdon to London Kings Cross this Sunday which stables overnight in Huntingdon P1, with another service overnight on P2

Does a 8 coach 700 even fit in platform 1, or will it be a single 387?
Trackmaps says 8 car, but not sure about a 700. Still not entirely convinced this will happen on the day.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Trackmaps says 8 car, but not sure about a 700. Still not entirely convinced this will happen on the day.
I would say the most likely case will be that early morning service on Sunday considering the trains stable there overnight. Although it might be worthwhile getting there for the earlier train just in case they get swapped over.

All platforms

I would say the most likely case will be that early morning service on Sunday considering the trains stable there overnight. Although it might be worthwhile getting there for the earlier train just in case they get swapped over.
Well, it appears to have worked as planned this morning according to RTT although no info as to which stock/formation was used.

I had spotted the projected use of Huntingdon P1 and all 3 moves are in my diary, but with me also prior committed to an Edinburgh holiday and only arriving back at 10pm last night i came to the conclusion it was a big ask to get down to Huntingdon this morning as well. It looks like the refurb that was down to the track a few years back was for a good reason after all.

I also came to the conclusion that this mornings option was the most likely to happen, but hey if its happened once....... just hoping the 8.59 on the 25th is a go as the remaining day light option!

All platforms

Day 320: Tuesday 06/02/2024 - Cupar to Leuchars - £3.20 - Off-peak Return. Cupar to Springfield - £2.50 - Off-peak Return. CP - Leuchars £1.
Total time today 168 mins - time on trains 23 mins and time waiting 145 mins. Stations completed today 2. Total completed 1676. Platforms completed at completed stations 3846.

"The only realistic way to do Springfield under my rules"

Well, a much deserved break in Portobello Edinburgh after a testing 18 months or so with new unforseen challenges a constant companion so with (for the moment) the worst behind us we looked forward very much to some time in Scotland. I had a full day out planned for Wednesday but i could also do early mornings without fear of retribution, which i duly took advantage of. The first of these was an hours trip up to Cupar and a couple of stations in a new location for me to consider. Many Scotrail station Car Parks are free but the one at Cupar wanted a whole shiny Pound from me which in the scheme of things wasn't bad at all.

Quite a nice station albeit first viewed in the dark, and i timed it right so that my one stop move to Leuchars wasn't going to involve much of a wait at the very start. One of the Scotrail HST sets was on duty (43147+8) for the 7 minute hop and destined for Aberdeen. I am just grateful they still exist on the principal intercity routes and all too soon i was alighting at Leuchars still very much in the dark and a seat in the (quite busy) island platform waiting room. I did see there was a swanky Caledonian Sleeper branded one too further down the platform with a well dressed lady sitting in her full regalia. I presume she was waiting for an onward connection having alighted herself some 30 minutes earlier. (It was late).

Now came one of the more trickier stations to do on the whole network - Springfield. With my rules saying no walking between stations unless there is no other practical choice (i.e. the one train a day scenario or the 2 trains at opposite ends of the day version) i was in for at least a 2 hour wait in the middle of winter (it was still freezing on arrival) with an unknown shelter situation awaiting (would there even be one?). Springfield receives 5 services a day, the early morning ones i was attempting, then two services at almost identical times (18.04 + 18.06) with a post 11pm one going North completing the roster. It would take a very brave person to attempt the early evening duo, as it is just too random timing wise, although there is a rusty bridge to attempt a scoot. Not for me thanks......

Thankfully the village of Springfield is not that far away so i walked there in the still dark to the convenience store which was thankfully open by now, and a perhaps overly long browse saw me eventually buy some breakfast type food stuff and a shuffle back to the station where it was fully light as i arrived back. I had a good old explore of the station environs and was on hand to see the old station house opposite me slowly come to life with first lights popping on everywhere and eventually blinds all lifted before i departed. Yup that was the most interesting thing on offer. Too cold to read but i was grateful for quite a deep shelter keeping the worst of the wind away, and a periodic walk up and down the whole platform length kept the worst of the cold away as the frost slowly departed.

Of the really awkward stations left to do, this must be up there for levels of awkwardness for me, but for those who like to walk in/out, it is less than an hour to/from Cupar. Severn Beach to/from Pilning is about an hours walk too which i hope to do later this year (both ways) with the other long hike remaining being a walk out of Shippea Hill. Depending how you classify awkward stations i reckon i have a total of 12 left in my book to complete, although most of the others can be done without too much of a wait if timetables remain unchanged. I have just had a look and i reckon i have completed a total of 43 awkward stations now, so pretty good progress on that front.

Very pleased to have Springfield in the bag, and a good start to the 5 days in Edinburgh.

CuparDepart
6.27​
*****SRstationsplatforms
LeucharsArrive
6.34​
P2SRwait 16mcompletedcompleted
LeucharsDepart
6.50​
P1SR
1​
2​
SpringfieldArrive
7.02​
P1SRwait 129m
SpringfieldDepart
9.11​
P2SR
1​
2​
CuparArrive
9.15​
*****SR

Kite159

Veteran Member
Lovely Springfield, I reckon it's a bit like Breich. Give it a proper service (hourly) and it might get more use.

I'm sure at one point the afternoon/evening services gave a much nicer & safer 20odd minute connection before the timetable changed

All platforms

Day 321: Wednesday 07/02/2024 - Central Scotland Rover - £36.30 - 3 consecutive days - Day 1. Haymarket to Edinburgh Waverley - £2.00 - Off-peak Return. Haymarket to Edinburgh Waverley - £0.75 - Advance Single. CP Musselburgh - free.
Total time today 782 mins - time on trains 341 mins and time waiting 441 mins. Stations compeleted today 7. Total completed 1683. Platforms completed at completed stations 3861.

"Getting dizzy at Waverley"

My main play day and i had planned something slightly different this time by seeing just how much of the track into/out of Waverley i could snaffle. Quite a lot it turns out with some remaining easy stuff saved for another early morning later in the week. I had a printed detailed track map of the station with which to keep tabs on everything - something i wish i had done at other big stations earlier in this journey. No matter...

Musselburgh was really handy - and free, so a full day started with an early bird trip into Waverley. It was surprisingly busy given it was before 6.30 and a date with P7. Time for an explore of the station before returning up the line form the same platform. I have been to Waverley many times previously, mainly on business trips from/to Lenzie some 25 years ago, and the odd private trip so it was a surprise to learn just how extensive the station actually is with the outer through lines something new for me to consider. Also noted was the time needed to transfer between certain platforms - this is a big station. Also time enough to obtain supplies for the day courtesy of the local Sainsburys just up the stairs before returning to P7 for a trip out to Wallyford. There is method in this madness as i really wanted to get the return after a short wait as it was going to Haymarket P2 via the P1/P20 line and a couple of crossovers to boot. Something a bit different i thought and ensuring i got the whole of the through line in one go. This was rammed upon stopping at Musselburgh but its only a short trip into Edinburgh and utilising a class 385 which is a staple on the North Berwick route. Probably one of the better classes used by Scotrail and which has an endearing way of describing an impending stop by announcing "we shall soon arrive at ...." very much something only heard in Scotland having lived there for a bunch of time, and different from the usual "we are now approaching ...." In truth it got a bit wearing by the end of the day but fun for a good while. Prestonpans and back was next leaving from P20 arriving back at P19. Another semi unusual couple of platforms/routes

Next came a series of quick and (obviously really) short hops between Haymarket and Waverley as i hoovered up a good few of the western platforms and track in/out of each station, quickly completing the station at Haymarket as a bonus. P11, P15, P9w, P16f, P16 P17 and P18 were thus dispatched, and into the book, all before 11am. Having got dizzy enough i needed to take stock so next i had a planned move over the Forth Rail Bridge and into Fife. This was something new for me and something i was very much looking forward to. Edinburgh Gateway was passed by and a very scenic trundle over the bridge ensued. Lovely stuff and i was warming up into the bargain. This must be one of the best views to be had from a train anywhere on the network.

I wasn't straying too far into Fife this time so i was turning at Dalgety Bay, though i was a little disappointed to learn that it wasn't close to a bay or beach at all really. well certainly not enough time to go and find them in the 20 minutes allocated before returning to Edinburgh for dud P16 and then P15f, and another trip up to Fife, this time on a 3 car not a 6 car. I just wanted another trip across the Forth, but being a tad more adventurous this time, and turning at Kinghorn. Ha! Here was the beach i was promised, and very lovely views down to the sandy beach and rocky promontory. Just a pity the sun wasn't out or i may have made a dash off station for an ice cream (other cold things are available). A real nice surprise was Kinghorn and this part of the line looks promising for when i inevitably return. Returning once more towards Edinburgh i splashed out on a return from Haymarket to Waverley as there were a couple of awkward platforms i wanted to tick off which were not used by Scotrail very much (certainly not at the time of day i was visiting) and hopped on a VT service into the full fat P9, before returning on an Aberdeen bound LNER stopping at P2. Quite the hike across the breadth of the station but there was plenty enough time thankfully.

I used the opportunity to kill time to visit Edinburgh Park, a station i have actually used a few times as i have stayed at the nearby Premier Inn on short breaks, and it is very handy for the station. I don't remember it being too expensive so if a bargain pops up i might base myself there for a few days for another 3 day Central Scotland Rover. I haven't looked yet so i am not holding my breath. More shenanigans between Haymarket and Waverley were in the mix both before and after Edinburgh Park and P14f, P12 and P13 were ticked off before turning my attention briefly to the east side of the station and a flying visit to Brunstane, departing from P4 and returning into P3 and the inevitable continuation of the back and to via Haymarket. P8e, P2 and P10, with p2 being achieved on a LNER service with a £0.75p Advance Single, with the Rover ticket only covering Scotrail. I am sure my ticket wouldn't have been checked for the short hop, but i am trying to keep it honest as much as i can. Oh, and we got to P2 via P19 and the crossover between the 2 lines in the middle. Bonus. I had seen a XC service use the other crossover earlier so it can be done relatively easily i guess - more research needed of course.

I was all trained out by now and in the planning stage i was also clearly fatigued because i had set myself a minus 1 minute changeover at Haymarket which was clearly untenable - what was i thinking. Doh! A missed opportunity for some new tracklets then but in all honesty, i found that this station really does use all that is on offer, albeit not every few minutes of course. I have had a ball today being diligent in my recording of what i had done, with something new at every turn almost, to keep me vigilant. But i still had one more target to consider.....

The w suffix on platforms is a rare thing to see, (when it doesn't mean West of course), and something picked out by RTT, so being a bit too fastidious i am counting these as separate platforms too. The most common one to see is at Shipley, and i have seen x variants at York for P10 and P11. I cannot explain why in detail but essentially it is a permissive signalling thing, which allows a service to draw forward further than would normally be allowed. (I think). Such a thing is employed every day at Drem which allows the 19.09 to pull forward to the end of the platform whilst the return from North Berwick crosses in front of it. Not close, but close enough in signalling terms. So, i found myself on this very service and it is clearly choreographed as we slowed much further out than usual and just really ghosted past the last few signals at almost walking pace and eased into P2. I wasn't sure if i could make it across the bridge in time at the planning stage, but thankfully there was just enough time, and i could see it turning out from the North Berwick line as i went up the steps. The bridges hereabouts do allow you to see round and over them so i could gauge my pace to arrive on the platform a few seconds before my chariot back to Musselburgh. A very productive day, and i will be out and about tomorrow morning too on this very part of the line.

MusselburghDepart
6.25​
*****SRstationsplatforms
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
6.41​
P7SRwait 31mcompletedcompleted
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
7.12​
P7SR
WallyfordArrive
7.22​
P1SRwait 17m
WallyfordDepart
7.39​
P2SR
1​
2​
HaymarketArrive
7.57​
P2SRwait 25m
HaymarketDepart
8.22​
P1SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
8.26​
P20SRwait 14m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
8.40​
P19SR
PrestonpansArrive
8.55​
P1SRwait 9m
PrestonpansDepart
9.04​
P2SR
1​
2​
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
9.21​
P11SRwait 9m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
9.30​
P15SR
HaymarketArrive
9.33​
P2SRwait 12m
HaymarketDepart
9.45​
P1SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
9.49​
P15SRwait 7m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
9.56​
P9wSR
HaymarketArrive
10.00​
P4SRwait 9m
HaymarketDepart
10.09​
P3SR
1​
4​
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
10.14​
P16fSRwait 18m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
10.32​
P16SR
HaymarketArrive
10.35​
P4SRwait 7m
HaymarketDepart
10.42​
P1SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
10.46​
P17SRwait 13m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
10.59​
P18SR
Dalgety BayArrive
11.25​
P2SRwait 19m
Dalgety BayDepart
11.44​
P1SR
1​
2​
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
12.10​
P16SRwait 25m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
12.35​
P15fSR
KinghornArrive
13.16​
P1SRwait 13m
KinghornDepart
13.29​
P2SR
1​
2​
HaymarketArrive
14.06​
P1SRwait 10m
HaymarketDepart
14.16​
P3VT
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
14.21​
P9VTwait 20m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
14.41​
P2GR
HaymarketArrive
14.45​
P2GRwait 21m
HaymarketDepart
15.06​
P3SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
15.10​
P14fSRwait 10m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
15.20​
P12SR
Edinburgh ParkArrive
15.29​
P2SRwait 9m
Edinburgh ParkDepart
15.38​
P1SR
1​
2​
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
15.50​
P13SRwait 29m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
16.19​
P4SR
BrunstaneArrive
16.26​
SingleSRwait 18m
BrunstaneDepart
16.44​
SingleSR
1​
1​
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
16.50​
P3SRwait 7m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
16.57​
P8eSR
HaymarketArrive
17.01​
P4SRwait 22m
HaymarketDepart
17.23​
P1GR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
17.27​
P2GRwait 11m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
17.38​
P10SR
HaymarketArrive
17.41​
P4SRwait 13m
HaymarketDepart
17.54​
P1SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
17.58​
P14fSRwait 40m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
18.38​
P7SR
DremArrive
19.08​
P1wSRwait 3m
DremDepart
19.11​
P2SR
MusselburghArrive
19.27​
*****SR

All platforms

Lovely Springfield, I reckon it's a bit like Breich. Give it a proper service (hourly) and it might get more use.

I'm sure at one point the afternoon/evening services gave a much nicer & safer 20odd minute connection before the timetable changed
Hmm... not sure why it gets such a paltry service. There must be headroom in the timings to do so as there are biggish gaps between services, well, at the times i was there anyway. Springfield itself is not a big place but far bigger than many other places which enjoy better service patterns. Not yet been to Breich yet, but i note the comparison in advance.

I am pretty sure the timetable for the last 3 years did not give a safe afternoon connection, or i would have been on it like a shot by now i am sure. As always, every timetable change gives the opportunity for the completist to clap his hands or hold his head in his hands and what was a walk in the park can become the exact opposite. I have my eye on a couple of things that could possibly change in May that i would rather not take the risk with, and so am planning ahead as best i can.

All platforms

Day 322: Thursday 08/02/2024 - Central Scotland Rover Day 2. CP Musselburgh - free.
Total time today 148 mins - time on trains 62 mins and time waiting 86 mins. Stations completed today 3. Total completed 1686. Platforms completed at completed stations 3867.

"More early morning freezingness"

Today, the goal was simple - complete the last 3 stations on the North Berwick line. Frost on the car wasn't the most helpful start, but it was just over 10 minutes to Musselburgh to catch the first outbound service of the day, so no biggie. The Edinburgh bound platform looked very busy but my side was sparse by comparison and i hopped onto another 385 just after 7.15am for the near 20 minute ride to Drem, where i could alight onto P1 in its full glory, and complete the station after a much quicker arrival than last night. There was a proper waiting room too which i promptly took advantage of, not being a fan of the weather outside. Just had to toddle over the bridge at the right time for the Edinburgh service, by which time the platform had filled. Being the first stop after North Berwick, this posed no problems and a seat was procured for the 4 minute trip to Longniddry.

No such luck here with waiting rooms, and it was in a fairly exposed place too, so this would be the least funnest part of the morning it would seem. Diligently exploring both platforms quite a few times i decided to go off station in the end and was clapping my hands to see a sandwich place had just opened about 50 yards away. Very good it was too and probably the best bacon barm/roll/bap i have had in a while. Suitably cheered i returned to the Northbound platform to wait out the last 10 minutes in full cold weather regalia before boarding the service bound for North Berwick. Just enough time to take a few pics to prove i had been there before returning to the cozy warmth, and the return to Musselburgh. Another 3 stations done and a trip to Deep Sea World in Queensferry would be the first non rail task of the day. very good it was too, if you like to see sharks a few inches from your head!

MusselburghDepart
7.17​
*****SRstationsplatforms
DremArrive
7.35​
P1SRwait 26mcompletedcompleted
DremDepart
8.01​
P2SR
1​
3​
LongniddryArrive
8.05​
P2SRwait 55m
LongniddryDepart
9.00​
P1SR
1​
2​
North BerwickArrive
9.14​
SingleSRwait 5m
North BerwickDepart
9.19​
SingleSR
1​
1​
MusselburghArrive
9.45​
*****SR

All platforms

Day 323: Friday 09/02/2024 - Central Scotland Rover - Day 3. CP Musselburgh - free.
Total time today 79 mins - time on trains 31 mins and time waiting 48 mins. No new stations today.

"More short hops!"

With a plan in place weeks ago for the Saturday, today was about ticking off more track and platforms in the Capital, but with a very much restricted time period in which to do this.

First off was an arrival into p9e which completed the triumvurate there, before hareing off to Haymarket once more in order to return into P12 (got it already - drat), but changing tactic and then leaving from P12f as i saw they were splitting the train. That turned out to be only 2 gains this morning despite another go via Haymarket, and was back at the ranch not long after 8.30am with a busy days holiday stuff awaiting us. A few more bits of track too looking back so not too bad for the time invested.

MusselburghDepart
7.06​
*****SRstationsplatforms
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
7.13​
P9eSRwait 6mcompletedcompleted
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
7.20​
P17SR
HaymarketArrive
7.24​
P2SRwait 18m
HaymarketDepart
7.41​
P3SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
7.44​
P12SRwait 13m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
7.56​
P12fSR
HaymarketArrive
8.00​
P4SRwait 5m
HaymarketDepart
8.09​
P1SR
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
8.14​
P17SRwait 6m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
8.18​
P19SR
MusselburghArrive
8.24​
*****SR

All platforms

Day 324: Saturday 10/02/2024 - Musselburgh to Edinburgh - £2.00 - Anytime Single. Edinburgh to Dunbar - £4.80 - off-peak Single. Dunbar to Edinburgh - £3.20 - Advance Single. Edinburgh to East Linton - £6.30 - Anytime Return. East Linton to Berwick-upon-Tweed - £4.75 - Advance Single. Berwick-upon-Tweed to East Linton - £4.75 - Advance Single. CP Musselburgh - free.

"Unusual bits of track day"

Where else to start the day but Musselburgh? A station i have used and passed through quite a few times but as yet under my rules i haven't got that tick. Probably a record thinking about it, but its so easy to do that its not worth worrying about in the slightest. First off was a trip to Edinburgh and a tick for P6 which i used both inwards and outwards. I would be stopping at Dunbar on a Scotrail service before returning with TPE in order to bag the second platform (P2). A spacious, clean and warmish waiting room here, only marred by the automatic door which kept opening and closing randomly. Triggered by a ghostly presence perhaps. A busy Car Park and plenty of passengers were the orders of the day and i certainly wasn't going to be bored. I did wander off station too but didn't make it as far as the town centre before returning.

As i had little option but to use TPE in order to achieve my goals today the ticketing looks a bit random but i would also have to use Scotrail too so it was a bit of a mess really. I am glad i don't have to return to this non Rover part of the network. I get ahead of myself.

A very comfy ride back to Edinburgh then before swapping back to Scotrail and another new platform - P5 for a trip to the latest new station on the network - East Linton. I would be doing linear hops for this station, and with a near hour wait for the first one i could get off station once more for an explore. I think i went off the wrong side of the station because all i found was residential housing. Yes, i could have checked my phone but hey ho. Back on the platform i deemed it just about wam enough to just sit there and open my book for pretty much the first time this year. I have to say there was an awful lot of housing visible from the raised platforms, far more than at Reston and i would wager this is already the busier station.

I would be taking the TPE service which terminates at Berwick-upon-Tweed in P2 which utilises the crossover there to do so. Tick. A Lumo service trundled through P1 a short while later before we set off back down the line again. The day was built around this service because i just love the quirky - a visit to Dunbar P1 from the South! This allowed both a LNER and XC service to pass on the other platform (i think) before we regained the right line and another stop for me at East Linton. 2 more crossovers too.

I will take every crossover going as long as it doesn't prevent the main thrust of platform/normal track collecting from continuing, but i will admit it has slowed progress compared to the first 18 months doing this. I reckon i am still on target for the most part to complete by the end of next year.

Anyway, a shorter visit to East Linton was next on the plan before setting off in the gloom with Scotrail once more for the trip back to Musselburgh, and a long journey home. A very rewarding few days, and the first time i have been out and about on 5 consecutive days. Does this mean i am practising for an all line rover? Probably not yet anyway, but i am less reluctant than previously on the possibility. I would be happier if i could plan further than 2 weeks ahead to avoid possible strike action so that's the main why not currently. I do have my beady eye on a couple of things in London later this week, but nothing planned as such right now. Looking further ahead i am very intrigued with the use (and planned use) of P1 at Huntingdon. Also the promise of Marsden p3 going west next Saturday. I may wait and see if this is actually being used before venturing out in the afternoon if it is.

MusselburghDepart
11.53​
*****SRstationsplatforms
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
11.59​
P6SRwait 9mcompletedcompleted
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
12.08​
P6SR
DunbarArrive
12.43​
P1SRwait 42m
DunbarDepart
13.25​
P2TP
1​
2​
Edinburgh WaverleyArrive
13.55​
P7TPwait 16m
Edinburgh WaverleyDepart
14.11​
P5SR
East LintonArrive
14.31​
P1SRwait 55m
East LintonDepart
15.26​
P1TP
Berwick-upon-TweedArrive
16.05​
P2TPwait 9m
Berwick-upon-TweedDepart
16.14​
P2TP
East LintonArrive
16.59​
P2TPwait 18m
East LintonDepart
17.17​
P2SR
1​
2​
MusselburghArrive
17.33​
*****SR

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
A productive few days in Scotland there.
I've always used a central Scotland rover without issue on LNER/XC services in Fife/Stirling, the only restriction being that you couldn't use it on those operators between Edinburgh & Glasgow.

All platforms

A productive few days in Scotland there.
I've always used a central Scotland rover without issue on LNER/XC services in Fife/Stirling, the only restriction being that you couldn't use it on those operators between Edinburgh & Glasgow.
It was an enjoyable week for sure. I have checked the official websites (Nationalrail and Scotrail) and at the moment it says Scotrail (and Glasgow Subway) only. I know there have been changes to the structure of some Scottish Rover tickets in the last few years and they seem more restrictive (and fewer of them) than i remember when i first looked at this over 3 years ago. That must be it.. I do know that very few conductors even know about these things let alone know the nuances of each haha. The fact i have any ticket to wave in their general direction seems to be enough for some. If they can't scan it they don't maintain interest....

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 325: Saturday 17/02/2024 - Godalming to Milford (Surrey) - £2.35 - Off-peak Return. Godalming to Clapham Junction - £16.35 - Off-peak Return. Godalming to Liphook - £5.65 - Off-peak Return. Godalming to Guildford - £4.05 - Off-peak Return. Woking to Addlestone - £4.55 - Off-peak Return. Woking to West Byfleet - £3.75 - Off-peak Return. CP Godalming £4.70 + Woking Central Travelodge £5.00.
Total time today 863 mins - time on trains 257 mins and time waiting 606 mins. Stations completed today 4. Total completed 1692. Platforms completed at completed stations 3879.

"New territory and a whole bunch of waits"

Today was put together after tomorrows itinerary was, and revolved around the Addlestone (West) Curve in daylight all day as well as a cheap (for a Saturday) Travelodge in Woking. Lots of rare track on offer today, but i chose to start matters off in leafy Godalming, a place i have heard of but never visited. Lots of twistys and up hill and down dale stuff to get there after leaving the A3 and a pleasant surprise to be honest. Arriving in good time i had the good fortune to have the independent sandwich/coffee place on the station open so early and supplies were obtained accordingly. Marvellous stuff, especially the Cajun Chicken Salad Sandwich which was filled to the brim with goodness, as i would find out a few hours later. An excellent toastie too for brekkers.

First stop would be one stop down the line to Milford (Surrey variant) which was deserted and i had a very enjoyable time both exploring its environs and also the sheer peace and quiet that was on offer. Another example of a first station of the day that sets the tone for the rest of the day, and i knew i was in for a good one - despite the chunky waits on this line, with the stopping service being hourly. More of that later, but back at Godalming it was a bit busier now and a 40+ minute wait for the service i wanted, which in theory should do multiple good things. Firstly it was booked to visit Guildford via P3 and the crossovers before and after of course, but, maybe because it was a few minutes late it went via the more usual P5. No matter. The next bit however was very odd. We were destined to land in Woking P6 which was in use all day (and a couple other Saturdays in Feb/March as well) so we crossed over to the Down Line just before Woking Junction and stopped for a few minutes at the signal. Most puzzlingly we then crossed back on to the Up Line and proceeded into P2 where we all decamped. It then went ECS down the Basingstoke line a bit before reversing into P6, where we should have arrived in the first place. I think we were diverted because of a late departure from P6 and so with only one route into P6 my service had to get out of the way. Interestingly RTT does not show my P2 arrival, just the very late arrival into P6 (via the ECS shunt)

Opportunities for Woking P6 remain but i did get what i think must be a very rarely used crossover, and from the wrong direction...... so its all good. Next was the Addlestone West Curve, and because it was going via Hounslow on new track for me i decided to take the non stop to Clapham Junction. Probably a bed decision because all 10 coaches were full standing and for the most part rammed. I squeezed onto the front of coach 9 where i could negotiate the carriage ends to set down at Clapham Junction (front 8 doors only open there). It took almost an hour, and no end of grumbling around me as to "where on earth are we?" and "we should have been there half a n hour ago" Either way it was an unpleasant stand for a whopping £16.50 albeit that was priced from Godalming. Eventually i was on the platform at Clapham and the work of a few minutes to get over to P6 for the return, which i had assumed would be taking the same route in reverse. Nope we would be going back via the more direct route via Twickenham, and take longer to do so i see looking at it again just now. I also remember the platform staff remarking between themselves that all London traffic had been full and standing almost from the start and wondering what everyone was going to. Me too.

Back at Woking it was onto P5 and the start of of a very leisurely 6 hours exploring the top half of the line down to Havant via linear hops there and back. Witley was first, and another very sleepy little station with a number of interesting walks just off the London bound platform. Without walking boots it was just too muddy to go have an explore on these walks so i settled down to reacquaint myself with a book i had started back in November, having judged it just about warm enough to just sit and read. Bliss. No interruptions apart from the odd direct train passing at speed. next up was Haslemere with the passing train quirk that it crosses over onto P2 and dwells to allow a fast service to overtake on the Down. A much busier station and whilst it was still drizzling a little i did go off and explore the surrounds for about 40 minutes. It struck me there were many larger than average houses about but none of them seemed to have been maintained well with mossy roofs very much the order of the day. Faded glory?? My next service was another linear hop, this time to Liphook and another lesser used station. There was a wide range of businesses/shops in the immediate area, some of them quite niche. Alas nowehere where i could get a water however..

Back at Haslemere i was off like a shot in the direction of the Town Centre to rectify this, but only a Waitrose could supply said bottle of water. Even the WH Smiths had gone back in time 20 years and only sold stationery items. An interesting and eclectic place with very few big brands,and a raft of independent shops ruling the roost. Hurrah. Haslemere on the Up stopping service uses the P3 loop by the way and again dwells to allow the non stop services to overtake on P2 once the down service has departed. Not something i have seen very much of on my journey so far, so very much another odd item for my collection today.

I arrived at Witley just as dusk was forming and left in complete blackness, and once again i was on my own, which is fine by me. You meet some oddball chaps and chapesses at times and i just wasn't in the mood to interact by this time. I did get harangued from the opposite platform by a (polite) youth who wanted to know the cost of a ticket to Woking, and was there a shop nearby. No idea and no idea came to mind immediately but in deference to the way the question was phrased i said essentially the same thing but in a more tactful way and then pointed out there was a map of the locality he could have a look at on the platform and was the ticket machine broken?

I had originally intended to turn at Farncombe rather than Guildford once back on board again, but Guildford won the day for reasons that now escape me and i was back at Godalming shortly after 7pm. There is a whole bunch of different track, crossovers and platforms at both Woking and Guildford so i will need to plan a return with care to maximise what i can do here, on an expensive part of the network (no Rovers round here!!) I do like the long distance sets that SWR operate here and far preferable to the metro style used closer into London.

I wasn't done yet and i drove up to Woking to check-in before heading out again with the station just a stones throw from the hotel. If the price is right i may consider this again. Another trip along the West curve starting from Woking P3 and use of the slip/crossover onto the slow line was a welcome addition. Turning at Addlestone it was back on to the slow line and another crossover and back into P3 again. This platform really is stuck out from the rest of the station so allow plenty of time if changing services. My next option was going to be another West Curve offering, but from P5 which would crossover 3 times to get there. Hmm - it was changed at the last minute back to P3 so that bit was a bust, but i did get to turn at West Byfleet and so tick off the slow platforms there before returning.

Today felt like prep work for another visit with some awkward bits achieved albeit with a bit of effort involved. Hopefully this will allow future visits to run smoothly, but nothing is ever that simple. I do love the unusual and incrementally i am finding ways to tick off more and more awkward track as part of my main platforms gig. Its a great challenge is what it is and still loving it all, even if this time of the year is not my favourite. Tomorrow its something very different from today, but again largely focusing on the non rover parts of the network.

GodalmingDepart
7.32​
*****SWstationsplatforms
Milford (Surrey)Arrive
7.36​
P2SWwait 44mcompletedcompleted
Milford (Surrey)Depart
8.20​
P1SW
1​
2​
GodalmingArrive
8.24​
P1SWwait 47m
GodalmingDepart
9.11​
P1SW
WokingArrive
9.30​
P2SWwait 9m
WokingDepart
9.59​
P2SW
Clapham JunctionArrive
10.49​
P4SWwait 7m
Clapham JunctionDepart
10.56​
P6SW
WokingArrive
11.52​
P4SWwait 21m
WokingDepart
12.13​
P5SW
WitleyArrive
12.42​
P2SWwait 60m
WitleyDepart
13.42​
P2SW
HaslemereArrive
13.48​
P2SWwait 68m
HaslemereDepart
14.56​
P2SW
LiphookArrive
15.01​
P2SWwait 49m
LiphookDepart
15.50​
P1SW
1​
2​
HaslemereArrive
15.55​
P3SWwait 74m
HaslemereDepart
17.09​
P3SW
WitleyArrive
17.15​
P1SWwait 62m
WitleyDepart
18.17​
P1SW
1​
2​
GuildfordArrive
18.33​
P5SWwait 35m
GuildfordDepart
19.08​
P4SW
GodalmingArrive
19.13​
*****SWdrive +
Relocate to********************wait 87m
WokingDepart
20.40​
*****SW
AddlestoneArrive
20.51​
P2SWwait 18m
AddlestoneDepart
21.09​
P1SW
1​
2​
WokingArrive
21.22​
P3SWwait 8m
WokingDepart
21.30​
P3SW
West ByfleetArrive
21.33​
P1SWwait 17m
West ByfleetDepart
21.50​
P3SW
WokingArrive
21.55​
*****SW

All platforms

Day 326: Sunday 18/02/2024 - Colchester to Witham - £6.20 - Super Off-peak Return. Colchester to Clacton-on-Sea - £6.65 - Super Off-peak return. Thorpe-le-Soken to Kirby Cross - £3.30 - Super Off-peak Return. Alresford to Great Bentley - £3.55 - Super Off-peak Return. Thetford to Norwich - £7.85 - Off-peak Return. Colchester to Witham - £6.20 - Super Off-peak return. Colchester to Clacton-on-Sea - £6.65 - Super Off-peak return. CP Clarendon way Colchester - free - Twice.. Station Road Thetford - free.
Total time today 942 mins - time on trains 281 mins and time waiting 661 mins (though 2 hours of this was relocating time and then a 3 hour wait in the evening). Stations completed today 4. Total completed 1696. Platforms completed at completed stations 3887.

"Commitment to the cause"

Today was crafted around the promised use of P3 at Clacton, albeit at an unsociable time for getting back home again, but crucially one of the few occasions i could complete it under my rules of not first/last services. With the line from Liverpool Street up to Chelmsford closed, there was all manner of engineering alterations to consider and tick off even more crossovers and bits of track that doesn't normally get a look in. After an easy drive up early doors i bagged my Sunday only free parking spot and arrived on platform just as my first service was arriving somewhat early. I do like the fact that GE allow you to sit inside to wait this out which makes a big difference to the day for me. Other TOCS please take note. With a shuttle service to Witham and another from Ipswich/Norwich also going to Witham my remaining 2 sections of track there promised to be in use with a bonus crossover from P2 at Colchester to gain the main line being another bit of icing on the cake. Great start to the day then as this was effortlessly achieved before a very sodden wait at Marks Tey for the next Witham service which would be using P1 there. Not only that the rare crossover onto the P1 line halfway along was promised with the reverse being true on the return. Amazingly both of these moves worked having decidely not worked in September when i was last here. A point for perseverance please. However the crossover before Marks Tey still eludes. Not sure why but the return runs wrong way but it crossed before Kelvedon as before (and also did for the rest of the day) rather than at Marks Tey. I cannot see a logical reason for the Mark Tey move so will probably quit this particular search now with so few targets here now remaining.

A first look at Clacton was next and a promised use of P1 for a chunk of the morning before a promised use of P2 for the rest of the day. For the most of the day what actually happened was P1 was the preferred platform so another visit is needed. I didn't have that much time at Clacton, but i did get outside to have a good look around and i don't think it was looking at its best. the station cafe bar did sell above average sandwiches however. the rest of the morning would be spent filling in what station gaps i could with Thorpe-le-Soken, Kirby Cross, Alresford and Great Bentley all ticked off before Midday. Persistent and at times heavy rain was also present so an absence of exploring was the order of the day, and a few more pages consumed. None of these stations were busy but the odd person did venture on and off at each place especially at Thorpe. The Walton shuttle service sat in P2 for a good chunk of every hour to allow a connection for the Clacton and Colchester/Witham services which made sense. No P2 sign at Kirby Cross however..... Weeley was not seeing any services today so another excuse to return for this.

I had also being looking for an opportunity to return to Norwich on a Sunday to have a 4th pop at P2b. I will also have to return on a Saturday here for P4a and Shippea Hill but with other targets now very thin on the ground it is now a very long way to go just to have another go at the "pulling teeth" qualities that Norwich has in spades. I have said enough about this in previous reports so i thought this would be a shot to nothing and also help me kill time until the evening jaunt back to Clacton. Amazingly it worked (at last) and my penultimate Norwich platform now has a big fat tick against it (17 of 18 variants done). A petrol top up at an unfeasibly low price of £1.34 a litre also bouyed my spirits and i was back in Colchester before again taking up residence for a free parking spot before putting the seat back, using my back pack as a pillow and enjoying a good 2 hours of sleep. I have learnt i can pretty much doze anywhere actually.

The evening moves would pretty much mirror the early morning ones, with the return from Witham being the important one, given that it crossed over to P4 before heading down the line towards Wivenhoe. Remarkably i have now almost completed all trackwork at Colchester, whilst still maintaining progress with the the main project. We did land once more at P1 in Clacton but thankfully the return would be going from P3, and boy am i glad this ones is in the bag. One of the most awkward ones to do under my rules and worth the price of admission alone. A very successful day and i was over halfway back home before i felt the need for a few more bits of shuteye - no use fighting it, just pull off the road and set your alarm before continuing, making sure a blast of fresh air is also taken on. In bed by 4.30 and a good catch up of sleep then took place. I hope to be back in London next Saturday but nothing yet planned in detail.

ColchesterDepart
7.15​
*****GEstationsplatforms
Marks TeyArrive
7.23​
P1GEwait 24mcompletedcompleted
Marks TeyDepart
7.47​
P1GE
WithamArrive
7.58​
P1GEwait 26m
WithamDepart
8.24​
P1GE
Clacton-on-SeaArrive
9.12​
P1GEwait 23m
Clacton-on-SeaDepart
9.35​
P1GE
Thorpe-le-SokenArrive
9.43​
P1GEwait 26m
Thorpe-le-SokenDepart
10.09​
P2GE
1​
2​
Kirby CrossArrive
10.12​
GEwait 22m
Kirby CrossDepart
10.34​
P1GE
1​
2​
Thorpe-le-SokenArrive
10.39​
P2GEwait 4m
Thorpe-le-SokenDepart
10.43​
P1GE
AlresfordArrive
10.52​
P1GEwait 3m
AlresfordDepart
10.55​
P2GE
1​
2​
Great BentleyArrive
10.58​
P2GEwait 52m
Great BentleyDepart
11.50​
P1GE
1​
2​
ColchesterArrive
12.08​
*****GEdrive +
Relocate to********************wait 142m
ThetfordDepart
14.30​
*****GE
NorwichArrive
15.09​
P2bGEwait 53m
NorwichDepart
16.02​
P2bGE
ThetfordArrive
16.34​
*****GEdrive +
Relocate to********************wait 239m
ColchesterDepart
20.33​
*****GE
WithamArrive
20.52​
P1GEwait 32m
WithamDepart
21.24​
P1GE
Clacton-on-SeaArrive
22.15​
P1GEwait 15m
Clacton-on-SeaDepart
22.30​
P3GE
ColchesterArrive
22.57​
*****GE

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 327: Saturday 24/02/2024 - Woking to Fareham - £19.10 - Anytime Return. Hedge End to Botley - £2.70 - Off-peak Return. Winchester to Eastleigh - £2.60 - Evening Out Return. Winchester to Shawford - £1.95 - Evening Out Return. Woking to Boundary Zone 6 - £7.85 - Off-peak Return. London Day travelcard Zones 1-6 - £10.00 - Off-peak. Chertsey to Virginia Water - £3.75 - Off-peak Return. Woking to Guildford - £2.95 - Evening Out Return. CP Woking Long Stay - £6.40.
Total time today 819 mins - time on trains 349 mins and time waiting 470 mins. Stations completed today 10. Total completed 1706. Platforms completed at completed stations 3907.

"Creeping further South in SouthWestern Railways land" or "yet another expensive day out in (mainly) non Rover territory"

With last weeks successful stay in Woking i decided to do the same this week too, with some promising rare track, moves and crossovers on offer today as well. Acordingly i took the plunge and found myself stood on platform 1 at Woking with barely a minute to spare before departure after an alarm issue (always blame the alarm itself and not the person who set it!!) saw me press on relentlessly down the Motorway without a break in the very early morning. Lesson learnt hopefully. The reason i was so keen to get here on time was the 7.18 to Portsmouth Harbour. A very unusual start point of P1 saw us doing the first two crossovers immediately after the platform and then proceeding down the Fast before crossing onto the Slow just before Brookwood. The slow was our friend until after Basingstoke as this was an all stations stopping service. With Four lines all the way to Basingstoke i have my work cut out to cover all options i think here, and probably Basingstoke and Woking will need careful thought as to what can be done without blowing the budget. I have made a start on Woking and despite quite a few successes there is a long way to go here. hmmm.

The journey itself was very comfortable with a carriage pretty much to myself until Basingstoke and i could get breakfast out of the way in relative seclusion, supplies having been obtained from the relatively cheap Off licensey shoppy thing (Fresh and go??) just outside the station. The journey was completely new territory for me so i was taking it all in, and glad i had decided on a long run at the start given it was still hovering around freezing outside. I later found out that ice on the rails on the Poole to Weymouth stretch had casued major delays and cancellations though thankfully i wouldn't be affected by these until a few hours from now. Also there had been no salting of platforms on the Woking/Basingstoke section and constant messages from the guards to take extra care. Someone had dropped the ball it seems and the cold spell had taken them by surprise. This is at odds with my trip to Bromley North a few months ago where they were salting when my app said no lower than 5 degrees overnight.

Another reason i had chosen this service was that it was scheduled to use the Slow line before Shawford all the way down to Eastleigh. It doesn't see much action normally, but i had my fingers crossed. To no avail actually as we used P2 not P3 at Shawford and remained firmly on the main line all the way to Eastleigh before looping into P3 before heading off down to Fareham. You win some you lose some i guess but it will mean at least another 2 visits to do the track and Shawford P3. I hope its not too much of a lottery. Once at Fareham i indulged in my favourite hot snack at the station cafe, which looked to be independent so gets a vote for me. Cheese and ham toastie if you are asking.

And so a day of waits commenced. It was certainly still icy despite the rain which had arrived, and the promised off station explore never materialised and i waited it out in a warmish waiting room and started a new book. I did try but it remained just a bit too cold to read more than a few pages at a time for the rest of the day. Explore if you can - read if you can't is my approach. With single line either side of the two intervening stations between Eastleigh and Fareham good luck finding a service pattern that doesn't involve a near hour wait at both of these so i just had to suck it up at both Hedge End then Botley before returning up the line to turn at Winchester. There was an access track at Hedge End which was to (i think) a substation type thing but it was slightly odd that the bit in the middle was tarmac but the outside wasn't so all the wheel tracks were in the mud. I have seen the opposite many times on nadgery off the beaten track country roads where there is tarmac for the wheels and a swathe of grass in the middle.

Once at Winchester i did go outside for a bit before retreating back inside. Oh winter, please go away! This is where the earlier delays were still evident on services coming from Weymouth and was even affecting my return South again albeit not by that much. I would be setting down at Eastleigh which is a right old tangle of lines and so promises more visits of course. Another reason i wanted to see how things were on the ground, and of course make a brief start here. Delays still in evidence once back at Winchester, but by taking the local stopping service we used the Up Slow line for a while. Evening out tickets are something i haven't encountered before but with SWR offering such a thing, and so early in the day too, it would be wrong not to take advantage. P1 and P2 at Shawford were ticked off next, which for reasons i still can't put my finger on gets my vote as station of the day. Old fashioned, faded infrastructure? who knows and with P3 seemingy stuck out on a limb and predominantly away from the main 2 platforms it was just a little err quirky. The early stations today were the built on concrete stilts variety which i think are the least appealing sort of all the differnt varieties that exist.

Part 2 of the day would find me back in London and hoovering up the stations on the Hounslow loop, but its a fair old trek to get there with the Addlestone West Curve still the only way today. Not a hardship and at least i had a seat this time. I still need to complete the 3 stations nearest Clapham Junction but for now it was the loop that had my full attention. Chiswick was first then a hop back to Barnes Bridge where i had a brief look at the err Bridge over the Thames which was in full spate before continuing on to Brentford and then back to Kew Bridge. It was dark by the time i left there, but not before noticing that the stadium for Brentford FC was opposite the far end of the platform at.... Kew Bridge and not Brentford as i might have imagined. Services were late going both ways but thankfully no intended connections were missed and i got to play the game of guess the aeroplane type as this part of the line is on the flight path to Heathrow and every 90 seconds another one is overhead. Next was Isleworth and then Syon Lane which were notable in that they both had platform numbers missing - P2 for Isleworth and P1 for Syon Lane. This was my tightest connection and missing it would probably cost me my next 2 moves so it was a big relief to arrive only a minute down before hareing over the bridge to search for the platform number which didn't exist (i thinkl) and on the Woking train once more. My last station complete of the day would be at Chertsey before returning to Virginia Water for P3 and P4 - though the P4 sign was missing. Very few platform numbers are missing in the London area and i found 3 in just over an hour! I hope i haven't missed anything in the dark....

Another trek and a half at Woking from P3 to P6 and it probably took almost 5 of the 7 minute connection time to get there, though i wasn't power walking or running as some folk were. One of the reasons i chose Woking in the first place was the regular use of P6 last weekend as well as this one so i just had to make the time to ensure i had this one in the book before checking in at the Travelodge. Not much to report in the way of people watching today although there is nearly always someone talking/muttering to themselves it seems. Most folk seemed to recognise it was still winter and so layers were a thing although the out and back to Guildford late on brought out the impervious to cold crowd in droves as if it were a summers day.

Amazingly the small bar at the travelodge wasn't charging an arm and a leg for a pint so i took advantage before retiring. Tomorrow will be a right old hotch potch....

WokingDepart
7.18​
*****SWstationsplatforms
FarehamArrive
8.47​
P3SWwait 40mcompletedcompleted
FarehamDepart
9.27​
P1SW
Hedge EndArrive
9.39​
P1SWwait 58m
Hedge EndDepart
10.37​
P2SW
1​
2​
BotleyArrive
10.40​
P2SWwait 54m
BotleyDepart
11.36​
P1SW
1​
2​
WinchesterArrive
11.55​
P1SWwait 43m
WinchesterDepart
12.38​
P2SW
1​
2​
EastleighArrive
12.46​
P2SWwait 27m
EastleighDepart
13.13​
P1SW
WinchesterArrive
13.24​
P1SWwait 25m
WinchesterDepart
13.49​
P2SW
ShawfordArrive
13.52​
P2SWwait 27m
ShawfordDepart
14.19​
P1SW
WinchesterArrive
14.23​
P1SWwait 12m
WinchesterDepart
14.35​
P1SW
Clapham JunctionArrive
16.03​
P4SWwait 31m
Clapham JunctionDepart
16.34​
P5SW
ChiswickArrive
16.48​
P2SWwait 21m
ChiswickDepart
17.09​
P1SW
1​
2​
Barnes BridgeArrive
17.11​
P1SWwait13m
Barnes BridgeDepart
17.24​
P2SW
1​
2​
BrentfordArrive
17.31​
P2SWwait 23m
BrentfordDepart
17.54​
P1SW
1​
2​
Kew BridgeArrive
17.56​
P1SWwait 27m
Kew BridgeDepart
18.23​
P2SW
1​
2​
IsleworthArrive
18.30​
SWwait 21m
IsleworthDepart
18.51​
P1SW
1​
2​
Syon LaneArrive
18.53​
SWwait 5m
Syon LaneDepart
18.58​
P2SW
1​
2​
ChertseyArrive
19.32​
P1SWwait 14m
ChertseyDepart
19.46​
P2SW
1​
2​
Virginia WaterArrive
19.51​
P3SWwait 5m
Virginia WaterDepart
19.56​
SW
WokingArrive
20.17​
P3SWwait 7m
WokingDepart
20.24​
P6SW
GuildfordArrive
20.31​
P4SWwait 17m
GuildfordDepart
20.48​
P5SW
WokingArrive
20.57​
*****SW

All platforms

Day 328: Sunday 25/02/2024 - Biggleswade to Huntingdon - £3.55 - Super Off-peak Return. Luton Airport Parkway to London St Pancras International - £8.25 - Super Off-peak Return x 2. Luton Airport Parkway to Luton - £1.70 - Super Off-peak Return. Lostock to Bolton - £2.60 - Off-peak Return. CP Luton Airport Parkway £3.10
Total time today 225 mins - time on trains 121 mins and time waiting 104 mins. No stations completed today and only one measly new platform added to the roster.

"Worst day ever to misquote comicbook guy off The Simpsons"

Last week saw the first use of P1 at Huntingdon for many a year, but unfortunately i had other commitments and couldn't attend. No matter i thought, i will wait for today when another use is promised, and at a time when i can bag it using my rules. I could arrive on the first service from the South and then hop over to P1 and be off again. RTT showed an ECS move the previous day into P1 and so stabling there overnight. It was still on the system when i last checked (late Friday) but after setting my alarm for 6am it had disappeared altogether from RTT, as had Monday mornings early (3.59am anyone?) move to London. How frustrating! With an embargo between Peterborough and Huntingdon it had looked promising. And why relay the track on P1 if your not going to use it. Suitably grumpy i reset my alarm for 8am to go straight to leg 2 of the day which would be based at Luton Airport Parkway.

Having done most of the fast platforms on the MML in 2021 i did my fair share of weaving to/from the Fasts/Slows, but at that time i was not recording these types of moves so today was an opportunity to rectify this - or was it? Basically by the time i rocked up the promised moves had also disappeared from the boards and the fasts were in use once more over the entirety into/out of London. This was disappointment number 2 of 3. I did however get to arrive in P4 and score a tiny sliver of track at Luton as well as a crossover into P1 at St Pancras. And that my friend is the sum total of todays new bits. Shakes head sadly....

I do wonder if this is all related to each other with the embargo not lasting as intended. I am tempted to go have a proper look but it won't help matters so i will leave it for now.

I did have one more trick up my sleeve but this also disappeared into thin air. I was up the road in good order and with traffic behaving itself i was in Lostock 10 minutes after the hourly service NT were running into Bolton today. I wasn't in that much of a hurry so waited for the next one which was showing on the boards..... until it wasn't. It was stopped short at Preston and it would be another hour before the next one. In the meantime there was an ECS move into and out of Bolton P4 the purpose of which puzzled me. Driver training for future similar moves?? With Bolton being my old home town i would be making an exception and ensuring i could get every sliver of available track here and the crossover into P4 is very much a rare opportunity. I did contemplate waiting for the extra hour and if it was up to my own devices i probably would have, but i had a dinner date and you don't pass those up too lightly. Reluctantly i left Lostock and headed home and consoled myself with some lovely food and company. The last dregs of what stops me planning too far ahead should be finally out of the way by Mid March but in the meantime i hope to be back in East London again on Sunday to cross off some more fast platforms and a couple of bonuses further out than there too.

Luton Airport ParkwayDepart
10.39​
*****EMstationsplatforms
London St Pancras InternationalArrive
11.05​
P4EMwait 25mcompletedcompleted
London St Pancras InternationalDepart
11.30​
P3EM
Luton Airport ParkwayArrive
11.51​
P4EMwait 32m
Luton Airport ParkwayDepart
12.23​
P2TL
LutonArrive
12.26​
P2TLwait 22m
LutonDepart
12.50​
P2TL
London St Pancras InternationalArrive
13.38​
P1TLwait 25m
London St Pancras InternationalDepart
14.03​
P2EM
Luton Airport ParkwayArrive
14.24​
*****EM

All platforms

Day 329: Sunday 03/03/2024 - Brentwood to Rayleigh - £6.20 - Super Off-peak Return. Shenfield to Clacton-on-Sea - £16.00 - Super Off-peak Return. Shenfield to Boundary Zone 6 - £3.55 - Super Off-peak Single. Brentwood to London Day Travalecard Zones 1-6 - £10.60 - Off-peak. CP Station Road Harold Wood - free.
Total time today 512 mins - time on trains 290 mins and time waiting 222 mins. Stations completed today 9. Total completed 1715. Platforms completed at completed stations 3939.

"Oh what a perfect day"

Its not often you will see me quoting Lou Reed but there you go - it was a day when every last move worked flawlessly. So, having used up all my luck in one go i look forward to my usual tales of woe going forward.

Eagle eyed readers may have spotted my attention to detail in the Greater Anglia Region these last months with ever more convoluted workings in evidence. It started as a way of doing something else useful in a day when only a few platform/normal track moves were available as the targets dwindle. It is a very large area and great swathes of time are needed to get from one side to the other, one reason why it has been increasingly difficult to stiitch a decent itinerary together comprised of "main" targets, so i have branched out into the wacky world of crossovers in an effort to keep the day moving as well as interesting. To be honest it has spurred me on sufficiently that i have been gricing away for quite a few visits now whilst still maintaining that all imprtant progress with the main event. Given it has been so successful i am now tempted to see just how far i can take it with GE services - and possibly C2C services as well in the future. Watch this space.

The Anglian grind continues then, but today is mainly about the fast line platforms being used by the Elizabeth Line (excepting Harold Wood and Brentwood) all day, something i have been waiting a very long time for. I only had the Sunday free this weekend but that was enough, and i was once more defrosting my car at silly O'clock before heading South for Harolds Wood. No issues with traffic and i was able to have a bonus 20 minute kip on arrival before heading for the platforms. It is really handy to park for free (Sundays only) right outside a station for once.

The Anglian grind does rear its head a little as i first made my way to P6 at Shenfield for my first look at the place although it was still almost freezing, and for now i haven't ventured outside the station yet. Supplies for the day were picked up at Harold Wood which boasts a Nisa, a Co-op, and a local convenience store which was the only thing open on arrival, and which offered cheapish fare. Yummo. Lots of crossovers at Shenfield to consider and my next move was the use of two of these (P3 to Southend line), and a lesser used part of the Down Southend before continuing to Rayleigh for my remaining station on the main line after Wickford. Returning into P1 at Shenfield i alighted to await the Clacton service which today would unusually be terminating in P4, and in daylight! I reckon there is still a full day here to explore the platforms and lines including crossovers, and then all stations to Southminster which also await my attention.

P4 at Clacton has proved a thorn in trying to plan for so i was not going to pass up the opportunity even at £16.00, and it had a bonus element in that i also completed the track between Shenfield and Ingatestone. It was a lovely run with the sun trying to poke through the clouds and after Witham i had a snooze or two until Wickford which was most welcome. Suitably refreshed i was more than happy when we arrived in P4 and whilst i marked my progress upon arrival it was a surprise to feel us edge forward and gently connect with another set, something i have not done in a very long time as a passenger. The new 10 car unit was a tight squeeze on the platform and pictures were duly taken which included a walk to the buffers. This just leaves P2 in and out to complete all platforms and track here, and this should present no problem, although i also need Weeley which does not receive a Sunday service. One final return here then i think.

One thing i forgot to mention in my last report was the fox count was increased by one with a sighting at Woking Car Park, and i inch towards double figures in this regard. I was reminded by spotting a couple of Muntjack just a few minutes before Shenfield and then a very pedestrian type of progress as we caught up with a stopping service quite quickly. All planned for however as we arrived in Stratford on time. Biding my time with the fast platforms, i did board an Elizabeth Line service however to ride all the way back to Romford where i was going to do the Upminster Line. The bonus was the 2 crossovers onto the fast line just before Maryland, and then 2 more to regain the Slow before Romford on a Gidea Park service which was terminating in P4 before an ECS move to start back again in P3. I would get the sister crossovers on my return an hour later.

A rare chance to read a few pages before setting off again and barely 5 minutes later i was alighting at Emerson Park which remarkably was staffed - by a chap in one of those dinky cramped booths you sometimes see on platforms. I am fairly sure i have done this branch line before (2016 is my best guess) whilst doing another small project which involved a day in London. i remember it was a weekday and that it was very busy, and it had a smaller carriage count than the 4 on offer today. No such problems today, and with a half hourly service all week, not long to wait before returning to Romford, before doing it all again, this time to Upminster P6. There are only 3 main platforms at Upminster (P1 P2 P6) but i have also got a bonus P1a there so my total count is 4 and like that another 3 stations are complete.

Back at Romford it was time to bag 5 more stations by doing linear hops for the remaining platforms, turning at Stratford to ensure those pesky crossovers were all included. Given that there was a 7/8/9 min service gap it was the easiest part of the day and given (nearly) all services were sandwiched by a non stop GE one for my delectation and delight, each stop was over in the twinkling of an eye. Manor Park, Forest Gate and Maryland were ticked off both ways very quickly before P2 at Ilford and Seven Kings completed the haul in just over an hour, and i was on my way back to Harold Wood and home. Just enough time for some people watching and guessing how long it would take for them to realise they were on the wrong platform. At 6 of the stops i was approached for my opinion as to "this is for trains to X?" Some people can't be helped it seems and on more than one occasion the person on the wrong platform when i arrived was still there on departure, even when i offered the information that no trains would be calling there today if i caught their eye.

A very successful day for me i think, and i even made up 7 minutes at Stratford due to a cute platform changeover there. 2 more stations will see me over 66.6666% etc of the project in terms of platforms which is pleasing to see. I will probably need to upgrade some more stations to completed status due to there being no discernible use of certain platforms, and certainly no timetabled use, but for now that is the official count. I have got quite a few irons in the fire as to what i want to do, and part of that will involve having a look at what bits of track are not planned to be used in the next timetable period and seeing if i can make progress whilst ticking a few of those off, but nothing concrete as yet.

I was hoping to do my first proper long distance day out next Saturday (Manchester to Bournemouth and back via Laverstock) and (split) tickets have been sourced. However the thing that refuses to go away has once again unexpectedly reared its head up again all next week, and i have to be on standby next weekend just in case a problem occurs. Not likely but its possible. Frustrating or what! I should know by Friday but nothing is certain.
If i am out on Saturday then Sunday should be free also which means i may make another trip to the North East for some unfinished business there.

Looking further ahead i notice that P7 at Richmond is timetabled mid April bookending a block on the line (National Rail and the Underground both) on Sunday 14 April. A Sunday am 00.16 arrival and Monday morning 05.58 departure shows on RTT if anyone is interested in this most unusual use of P7. How likely is it? - no idea but i can maybe craft something around the possibility. Other opportunities elsewehere include the Cholsey, Goring and Tilehurst fasts on Sunday 24 April (8.27/8.44) but i have had to abandon that opportunity as we will be away. Stewarts Lane all day Sunday17 March is very likely to be investigated however.

Harold WoodDepart
7.35​
*****XRstationsplatforms
ShenfieldArrive
7.41​
P6XRwait 35mcompletedcompleted
ShenfieldDepart
8.16​
P3GE
RayleighArrive
8.32​
P2GEwait 6m
RayleighDepart
8.38​
P1GE
1​
2​
ShenfieldArrive
8.55​
P1GEwait 8m
ShenfieldDepart
9.03​
P3GE
Clacton-on-SeaArrive
10.08​
P4GEwait 27m
Clacton-on-SeaDepart
10.35​
P4GE
StratfordArrive
12.08​
P9GEwait 11m
StratfordDepart
12.19​
P8XR
RomfordArrive
12.40​
P5XRwait 31m
RomfordDepart
13.11​
P1LO
1​
5​
Emerson ParkArrive
13.16​
SingleLOwait 13m
Emerson ParkDepart
13.29​
SingleLO
1​
1​
RomfordArrive
13.34​
P1LOwait 6m
RomfordDepart
13.40​
P1LO
UpminsterArrive
13.50​
P6LOwait 4m
UpminsterDepart
13.54​
P6LO
1​
4​
RomfordArrive
14.03​
P1LOwait 13m
RomfordDepart
14.16​
P4XR
Manor ParkArrive
14.29​
P3XRwait 9m
Manor ParkDepart
14.38​
P3XR
Forest GateArrive
14.40​
P3XRwait 8m
Forest GateDepart
14.48​
P3XR
MarylandArrive
14.50​
P3XRwait 9m
MarylandDepart
14.59​
P3XR
StratfordArrive
15.00​
P5XRwait 4m
StratfordDepart
15.04​
P8XR
MarylandArrive
15.06​
P4XRwait 7m
MarylandDepart
15.13​
P4XR
1​
4​
Forest GateArrive
15.15​
P4XRwait 8m
Forest GateDepart
15.23​
P4XR
1​
4​
Manor ParkArrive
15.25​
P4XRwait 9m
Manor ParkDepart
15.34​
P4XR
1​
4​
IlfordArrive
15.36​
P2XRwait 8m
IlfordDepart
15.44​
P2XR
1​
4​
Seven KingsArrive
15.47​
P2XRwait 6m
Seven KingsDepart
15.53​
P2XR
1​
4​
Harold WoodArrive
16.07​
*****XR

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 330: Sunday 10/03/2024 - Tyne & Tees Day Ranger - £18.80 - Anytime on a Sunday. CP Newcastle £8.00
Total time today 593 mins - time on trains 295 mins and time waiting 298 mins. Stations completed today 2. Total completed 1717. Platforms completed at completed stations 3943.

"Filling in the gaps Newcastle style" or "local rules at Sunderland??"

The impetus for today was unfinished business in the North East with over 20 stations still to be ticked off and lots of "normal" track too. In the end it turned out to be a bit more niche than that, partly driven by the knowledge i would need at least 3 visits still to get anywhere completing this part of the world, so i thought i might as well get as much coverage as i could. Today in particular was chosen because of the LNER diversions along the Durham Coast line, and whilst i have done this before i wanted to do it seated, and on the correct side for the views.

An alarm call starting with a 4 is somewhat of a luxury these days with my South London jaunts needing a 3 and occasionally a 2 there to ensure i get a good start. An uneventful trip up the A1(M) saw me parked up with plenty of time before services started for the day. I would be catching the first of them all, with probably LNER's shortest service which was a trip to Durham from where it would eventually return before heading into Scotland. The Car Park was, unusually, a pay on departure one which foxed me for a bit, but i caught on eventually.... The reason i was paying big bucks for the CP today was that first service which would be crossing over before Durham before landing in P2. the service was almost deserted with only one other person in my carriage (B). Crossover duly in the bag, it was a case of waiting 20 minutes for the return before alighting at Newcastle which was a much busier place than when i departed less than an hour ago. Had to fight the hordes off as i stepped down!

Newcastle is one of the better places to source supplies from with both Sainsburys and M&S jostling with a host of the more expected outlets to fleece the unwary - i swear there's a price increase of something every time i venture inside these places. Anyway with Not bargains purchased for the day i settled with my book for my longest dwell, as i was waiting for the next but one London service as this promised to do the unusual at Sunderland. The service was very busy but i found a seat in coach A and in the direction of travel with the bonus of it being a window seat with a view of the coast as we made our way to Northallerton which is at the Southen tip of the Ranger. I seemed to be in the midst of a not very knowledgable group of lads who all knew each other and who did little else but grumble about the slow pace/progress. The route took us over the King Edward Bridge before turning left onto the Greenfields line before joining with the Up Sunderland just after where it comes off the High Level Bridge. Lovely views of the tempestuous seas on a day that would see low intensity but persist rain for the most part.

The reason i chose this particular service was the use of the P3/P4 Sunderland loop from the North and i was lucky in that this move worked and i had 2 more unusual crossovers safely tucked away in the book. There was a GC service in P2 as we passed (not P1 as would be normal) awaiting departure which is why.... There were other similarly timetabled moves for the last 2 weekends but only the Sunday ones worked. Yay for me. Alighting at Northallerton i was greeted by the boards advising a delayed TP service going to Saltburn - about 20 mins or so which meant i would miss my connection back North again and a complete blowout of my intended schedule as a result. I did check to see if this service was also late when we eventually departed Northallerton but it was on time. This is why i over dawdled with pics etc upon arrival at Thornaby only to be greeted on the other platform by my intended service which was late after all, but not late enough to board safely after my dawdle... Grrrr....

A raw wind and a ticket office closure on Sunday meant no respite from the weather so i decamped to a Burger King over the Bridge in the Historic County of Durham (or so the sign proclaimed) to wait it out with a less than stellar Whopper. The returning sign welcomed me to the historic County of North Yorkshire! The absolute main thing that i wanted to do today - and the reason why i was doing a North East trip was the Hartlepool crossovers into/out of P2 before the new P3 is open in a few weeks time, at which time they will cease normal usage. I can't be certain if i can get back again before the opening of P3 so unusual track came first today, with the potential for more later in the day.

With everything separated by the use of P2 both ways at Hartlepool it is nigh on impossible to craft a flowing itineraray on this line, and an hour or just shy of an hour waits are the norm unfortunately at many stations. With Northern still seeing delays of up to 5 mins or so on amny services today that meant some of the easy hits also became untenable. Not if i could help it on a day like today so i decided to turn at Sunderland for my first look at the place. Slightly reminiscent of The Liverpol City Centre Low Level stations and flooded with fairly loud light classical music to deter the scrotes. I would be heading back again shortly but for now it was off one stop to Seaham before returning. 3pm then before my first new station complete of the day. I had considered going to Horden but the delays were against me on that one, and i needed to be back in Sunderland to await the promised use of P2 by a Northern service. To be honest i have been dubious about this working. Previous timetabling has seen an alteration back to the more normal P1 on the day (a few Sunday services get timetabled P2). I wanted to see what actually happened. well.... it was still on the boards as P2 when it rolled in and stopped in P1 as would be normal. Cue mad dash along a very long platform by dozens of punters. The signalling was Green for both platforms and there was no announcement of a platform alteration to P1. I had remained at P1 as i was sure it would stop here, but its a heck of a trek from P2 although its no Gloucester of course, and there was a lot of unfit out of breath folk who could probably have done without that - or perhaps they did need it..... depends on your point of view on these things. I did politely ask the guard about the P1 P2 thing but he declined to comment. To be honest, i hadn't really considered that P2/P3 was used by anything but trams until yesterday - it looks like i am going to have to do some research about this - although i saw that GC has used both this weekend. Pity they are not part of the Rover ticket or it might make exploring this option a little cheaper.

Next up was an attempt at Stockton, but again delays of a few minutes saw that opportunity melt away so i alighted at Billingham instead. (Or Billingham {Cleveland} on my official list and Billingham-on-Sea on some announcements so take your pick). This was Vape central with at least 6 out of the 10 waiting indulging in this weird habit - all of them under 30 too. I was getting tired by this time and by the time i arrived back in Newcastle it was getting dark too, so i saved an out and back to Heworth for another time and decided to call it a day. Some new track over the High level Bridge was the final bonus i guess.

I will have to return to Newcastle one more time for some elsuive but normal track work and also Heworth, and maybe trying to include P2 and/or P3 at Sunderland if possible. Further South from there i have Hartlepool P1 P2 and then P3 in due course and then Horden, Seaton Carew and Stockton to consider also. The other day will be Middlesbrough based for stations to Saltburn and Great Ayton. I may wait for Bedlington and the new line there but no specific plans as yet.

Its possible i may yet decide to add a Saturday to my intended trip to London next Sunday where i will be traversing the full Stewarts lane both ways on 2 if not 3 different occasions before indulging in yet more new crossovers/track/lines including platforms at Victoria. New stations will also feature....

One final word about Saturday 09 December. I was booked to travel to Bournemouth and back from/to Manchester Piccadilly with XC who were doing 3 bits of rare track including at Crewe, Reading and also using Laverstock that day. My phone screen went dead about 7pm the night before, and whilst i did think about still going, the need for a working phone outweighed all else so Saturday was spent sourcing and fixing a new screen for my 2017 smart phone. The need to be contactable in the end won the day and quite rightly... No need quite yet for the Grateley bunting to be unfurled haha

NewcastleDepart
7.55​
*****GRstationsplatforms
DurhamArrive
8.10​
P2GRwait 21mcompletedcompleted
DurhamDepart
8.31​
P2GR
NewcastleArrive
8.43​
P3GRwait 79m
NewcastleDepart
10.02​
P3GR
NorthallertonArrive
11.19​
P1GRwait 63m
NorthallertonDepart
12.22​
P2TP
ThornabyArrive
12.47​
P2TPwait 49m
ThornabyDepart
13.36​
P1NT
SunderlandArrive
14.28​
P4NTwait 26m
SunderlandDepart
14.54​
P1NT
SeahamArrive
15.02​
P1NTwait 17m
SeahamDepart
15.19​
P2NT
1​
2​
SunderlandArrive
15.28​
P4NTwait 26m
SunderlandDepart
15.54​
P1NT
BillinghamArrive
16.32​
P1NTwait 17m
BillinghamDepart
16.49​
P2NT
1​
2​
NewcastleArrive
17.48​
*****NT

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Shame you missed out on the Tour de Laverstock on the Saturday (what unusual track was it meant to do in the Reading area out of interest?)

A productive day in the north east, other than with delays, Sunderland station just confuses me with the differences of platform numbers

All platforms

Shame you missed out on the Tour de Laverstock on the Saturday (what unusual track was it meant to do in the Reading area out of interest?)
It was the Festival line - approach Reading on the Up Relief, crossover then take the Festival Line into P8. The reverse on the way back although not all services were doing this identically. I haven't checked the actuals against plan though. I just checked on UTT and perhaps its not that rare after all with quite a few regular entries showing. They do class it as unusual however.

Reading is a place i am going to have to spend quite some time at - the map is quite complex. I haven't visited there for over 2 years now so its high time it got some attention. Low Level, Reading Spurs, Festival Line, Feeder Lines and the associated myriad crossovers and platform ends all jostling for attention. I am just awash with possibilities at the moment as time gradually becomes my own once again - something not enjoyed since pre the C word.