• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How does route knowledge work for stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
It is the same for drivers. Waterloo-Queenstown Road is a single route, and drivers sign all lines and platforms. But beyond Queenstown Road it is split in to two routes, via Wimbledon and via Putney.
I understand that, and it makes sense, but I meant more about Clapham Junction, where you pass through it no matter what train you drive. I appreciate not all sign the Windsor side though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Certainly seems to be the case at Northern that while you may sign the station, potentially it might only be from one side, so the home depot does any stunts if it has one, obviously there are exceptions to that rule.

One station I can think of that 175001 will back me up on is Preston, where everyone does their own shunts and signs everything (is expected to know everything) before you can sign off the route through it.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Yes i
Is it the same for your drivers? For example, regarding all platforms at Clapham bar the Windsor side, is it that you don’t physically sign them, or that your traction isn’t cleared for it and thus you wouldn’t go there? Maybe it amounts to the same thing? I’ve not thought about it much to be honest. Like at Bristol Temple Meads I don’t sign the West End, so won’t sign Platform 2 as you can only get to it from that end of the station. Similarly at Portsmouth Harbour; if we just had 16x traction, we’d never be allowed to use Platforms 3 or 5, but I sign the station and all platforms are fundamentally the same.
t is the same for drivers but they also sign Clapham sidings and some Basingstoke sidings.

Status
Not open for further replies.