• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2: Why do we need it?

Junctionman

On Moderation
New to this forum , dont do politics, dont understand big finance ,dont understand engineering

But could someone explain why did we need HS2 ,ok i`m thick !!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class26

New to this forum , dont do politics, dont understand big finance ,dont understand engineering

Basically it amounts to building two additional tracks to the WCML, just not right alongside them (cheaper and easier if you haven`t got train wizzing around at 125 mph) and to a higher speed. The plan was that all the express trains would go onto HS2 leaving the remaining 4 tracks (in most parts) free for more local services and freight
Now with the governments back of a fag packet butchery how much additional capacity is created is open to debate. The real bottle necks are between Birmingham and Manchester which has been binned but was the cheapest part to build (save for the final stretch into manchester0 but that will probably still built as part of northern power house rail. The challenge now is to join up between north of Brum and the northern power house rail part.

Last edited:

Fazaar1889

The West Coast Mainline (WCML) is the busiest mixed-use rail line in Europe. i.e, it has high-speed, freight, local and regional trains all running along it. High speed trains take up a lot of capacity on the time table and so there is less space for local and regional trains. The demand for trains is increasing rapidly and the current network cannot cope, just look at Euston a couple weeks ago, it was absolutely packed. The roads are also congested so it's better if more people take the train as its more efficient. So, we need more capacity on the train network, which is the entire purpose of HS2. A side result of this is that the fares will become cheaper as there are more services.

For reference, the WCML goes from London Euston via Birmingham and Manchester all the way to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The thought process behind HS2 most likely went something like this:

- Roads are congested
- We need more people on trains
- WCML is packed, The trains are full and It can't take any more trains
- High speed trains take up a lot of the capacity
- Let's build a separate line for them
- Let's also relieve congestion on the East Coast mainline and Midland Mainline by building to Sheffield and Leeds
- Let's make it fast.

But now the tories have been cutting back on HS2 significantly (which is incredibly stupid) so the benefits of HS2 will only be between London and Birmingham. It will become increasingly obvious once phase 1 is built that the other 3 phases need construction immediately. IMO, I think the rest will be built but 10 years too late. Possibly in the 40s or 50s.

Also, the £100bn budget is worth it as HS2 is meant to add £100bn every year to the economy. source

Unfortunately, the Marketing team of HS2 failed to properly convey that HS2 is to add capacity, instead, they went for that it's fast, which misses the entire point and only made the public and right-wing newspapers angry as they made it seem to be a vanity project. Even going to HS2's main page for its purpose, they first state that its for zero-carbon journies and to cut times. They don't ever mention that it's to relieve capacity on the current network... which absolutely boggles my mind. https://www.hs2.org.uk/what-is-hs2/

But basically, HS2 is to relieve congestion on the current network by moving the high speed trains on to their own tracks and allow for more and cheaper services.

slowroad

The West Coast Mainline (WCML) is the busiest mixed-use rail line in Europe. i.e, it has high-speed, freight, local and regional trains all running along it. High speed trains take up a lot of capacity on the time table and so there is less space for local and regional trains. The demand for trains is increasing rapidly and the current network cannot cope, just look at Euston a couple weeks ago, it was absolutely packed. The roads are also congested so it's better if more people take the train as its more efficient. So, we need more capacity on the train network, which is the entire purpose of HS2. A side result of this is that the fares will become cheaper as there are more services.

For reference, the WCML goes from London Euston via Birmingham and Manchester all the way to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

- Roads are congested
- Let's also relieve congestion on the East Coast mainline and Midland Mainline by building to Sheffield and Leeds
- Let's make it fast.

But now the tories have been cutting back on HS2 significantly (which is incredibly stupid) so the benefits of HS2 will only be between London and Birmingham. It will become increasingly obvious once phase 1 is built that the other 3 phases need construction immediately. IMO, I think the rest will be built but 10 years too late. Possibly in the 40s or 50s.

Also, the £100bn budget is worth it as HS2 is meant to add £100bn every year to the economy. source

Unfortunately, the Marketing team of HS2 failed to properly convey that HS2 is to add capacity, instead, they went for that it's fast, which misses the entire point and only made the public and right-wing newspapers angry as they made it seem to be a vanity project. Even going to HS2's main page for its purpose, they first state that its for zero-carbon journies and to cut times. They don't ever mention that it's to relieve capacity on the current network... which absolutely boggles my mind. https://www.hs2.org.uk/what-is-hs2/

But basically, HS2 is to relieve congestion on the current network by moving the high speed trains on to their own tracks and allow for more and cheaper services.
If increased capacity was the objective there were cheaper options, including building some sections of new line but to a lower spec. These were never properly explored.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If increased capacity was the objective there were cheaper options, including building some sections of new line but to a lower spec. These were never properly explored.
One of the serious findings from the WCRM project of the 2000s was that upgrading Victorian infrastructure was very expensive and disruptive.
WCRM cost around £10 billion and took about 15 years to deliver, destroying weekend services over much of that period, and still only delivered a 125mph route.
The DfT/Treasury of the day (Andrew Adonis etc) said a new line, built independently of the old, would be much better value for money.

The last upgraded sections of the WCML were TV4 (4-tracking Tamworth-Armitage), and the Norton Bridge grade separation.
If we had known HS2 Phase 2 would never happen, the upgrades would have been more extensive (eg a Stafford by-pass, which is essentially what Phase 2a is).

Nottingham59

Established Member
Nonsense. That £100bn a year comes from boosting the economy throughout the North to the average for the UK. HS2 might be a (small) part of that, but its impact would be much less than sorting out local and regional transport to allow the big cities to realise agglomeration benefits within metropolitan areas.

Fazaar1889

Nonsense. That £100bn a year comes from boosting the economy throughout the North to the average for the UK. HS2 might be a (small) part of that, but its impact would be much less than sorting out local and regional transport to allow the big cities to realise agglomeration benefits within metropolitan areas.
Yes you're right. It seems like I wasn't fully informed about that figure. Regardless of how much, HS2's economic benefit is significant.

SamYeager

It's also worth remembering that Cameron opposed the third runway for Heathrow in the lead up to the election as he claimed HS2 would dramatically reduce domestic air travel due to its speed. That was probably another reason why speed was emphasised including of course its name of High Speed 2 rather than the additional capacity it would add.

Junctionman

On Moderation
So they way i see it now and i must be honest i was ignornant regarding HS2

has the PR and planing and costing not been to good and ok the cost of living crisis has not helped

and the existing railway system its a bit like trying to make a silk purse ot of a sows ear

thanks for the replies i do understand more now

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Demand for trains isn't increasing rapidly but its a fair argument that to achieve net zero needs far more people and freight to be moved off rubber tyred vehicles and few percent off road traffic translate into 10-15% extra rail traffic. Any London mainline station rapidly fills up when the service becomes dislocated.

- Roads are congested
- Let's make it fast.

HS2 Ltd are the culprits who despite spending billions on vast numbers of consultants they have catastrophically failed to manage the project so its hardly surprising the govt took the decisions they did. That said they would have been better off stopping phase 1 and using the money to build phase 2A but are where we are. My take from listening to Sir John Thompson at Select Committee last week is that between DafT and HS2 they are stalling any land sales and with a change of govt highly possible the world may look a lot different in 12mths time anyhow.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
HS2 Ltd are the culprits who despite spending billions on vast numbers of consultants they have catastrophically failed to manage the project so its hardly surprising the govt took the decisions they did. That said they would have been better off stopping phase 1 and using the money to build phase 2A but are where we are. My take from listening to Sir John Thompson at Select Committee last week is that between DafT and HS2 they are stalling any land sales and with a change of govt highly possible the world may look a lot different in 12mths time anyhow.
But Kier Starmer is not leaping to reinstate any HS2 plans - far from it.
He believes the funding of the project has been blown by the current team (HS2 Ltd+DfT) and will wait before making any promises on resuscitating Phase 2.
I would guess 5 years before any new project plan.
Euston is another black hole, with no political support.
I suspect the current HS2 Ltd team will be dismantled before a new plan emerges.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
But Kier Starmer is not leaping to reinstate any HS2 plans - far from it.
He believes the funding of the project has been blown by the current team (HS2 Ltd+DfT) and will wait before making any promises on resuscitating Phase 2.
I suspect the current HS2 Ltd team will be dismantled before a new plan emerges.
Thats the narrative they have to project otherwise as i say they will be badged the tax and spend party although equally that is a credible scenario. Also Reeves puts credible economic growth as the centrepiece of her strategy which says will come from

Labour will get Britain building again with a once in a generation set of reforms to accelerate the building of our country’s critical infrastructure and to build housing too.

Critical infrastructure clearly covers a lot but id be surprised if it doesn't include public transport as to whether that includes phase 2 of HS2 we wont know for sometime yet.

jfowkes

I have to hope that when HS2 opens and transforms the services on the southern WCML, the network benefits will become clear and something like Phase 2A and 2B will happen.

Benjwri

Established Member
Kier Starmer categorically stated there is no chance of HS2 phase 2 being reinstated

slowroad

No idea! My point is that the business case did not systematically consider a range of options, which might have included some mix of enhancements and new build to a lower speed and perhaps smaller loading gauge, using existing trains as an interim measure. It’s true that the track record of building enhancements is not great, but it’s an open question whether it’s as bad as HS2 has been so far.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So they way i see it now and i must be honest i was ignornant regarding HS2

has the PR and planing and costing not been to good and ok the cost of living crisis has not helped

and the existing railway system its a bit like trying to make a silk purse ot of a sows ear

thanks for the replies i do understand more now
Also remember that when building something as big as HS2 you're building it to deal with growth in passenger numbers over the next 50 years. It not just about this year, or next year.

chris2

Kier Starmer categorically stated there is no chance of HS2 phase 2 being reinstated
Right, and how many times did Sunak say HS2 was definitely going to Manchester before he cancelled it? Politicians say whatever each moment requires, that’s just what they do. If phase 1‘s success cripples the network north of Birmingham, that will be a new moment and Starmer will find a new thing to say about it.

The Planner

Veteran Member
No idea! My point is that the business case did not systematically consider a range of options, which might have included some mix of enhancements and new build to a lower speed and perhaps smaller loading gauge, using existing trains as an interim measure. It’s true that the track record of building enhancements is not great, but it’s an open question whether it’s as bad as HS2 has been so far.
But it does, page 21 in section 1.31 for example and on from there.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Starmer is paranoid that the Torys will put a tax and spend label on him. He will categorically tell you there is NO money for anything currently.

Industry needs to bide its time and prepare its case.

Energy

Established Member
1 person does not make a party. Starmer has been slightly anti-HS2 for a while, not surprising as his constituancy is affected by Euston works.

Benjwri

Established Member
1 person does not make a party. Starmer has been slightly anti-HS2 for a while, not surprising as his constituancy is affected by Euston works.
That’s fair but he is the likely to be PM, and given Rishi Sunak has been able to block HS2, he can too.

stuu

Established Member
There are reams and reams of option reports which were done before the HS2 parliamentary process started. Pretty much anything you can think of was considered at some stage

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Virtually every option was considered, although the solutions that were selected were mucked around with a lot afterwards.

For example HS2 saying they wanted a TSI compliant railway (and using the need for TSI compliance to justify decisions), then jettisoning TSI compliance because the EU refused to rewrite the TSI platform height requirement to suit HS2's demands.

Behaviour like that really makes the cynic in me wonder how much of the supposed design consideration and development process was a sham for form's sake.

Energy

Established Member
For example HS2 saying they wanted a TSI compliant railway (and using the need for TSI compliance to justify decisions), then jettisoning TSI compliance because the EU refused to rewrite the TSI platform height requirement to suit HS2's demands.

Behaviour like that really makes the cynic in me wonder how much of the supposed design consideration and development process was a sham for form's sake.
HS2 also has to buy non-standard stock. Eurostar paid £527m for 17x16 car (34 8 car) fairly standard Velaro sets, adjusted to the 54 8-car sets for phases 1 and 2a it comes out as £837m. Meanwhile, HS2 is expected to spend £1.6bn ([source] - most costs are for stock + 12-year maintenance), for its non-standard classic compatible sets.

Benjwri

Established Member
Although some would say TSI was less important than level boarding, which would bring significant benefits to everyday users and the network in line with what a modern day network should live up to, rather than sticking to a guideline which doesn’t allow this, and is entirely pointless given the lack of any connection to HS1. The network is largely compliant, was there ever the chance of international trains running on HS2, I’m sure the issue could be revisited.
HS2 also has to buy non-standard stock. Eurostar paid £527m for 17x16 car (34 8 car) fairly standard Velaro sets, adjusted to the 54 8-car sets for phases 1 and 2a it comes out as £837m. Meanwhile, HS2 is expected to spend £1.6bn ([source], most costs are for stock + 12-year maintenance), for its non-standard classic compatible sets.
Driving cars are significantly more expensive than the other coaches due to the cab equipment, so the cost will be significant increased by that regardless. HS2 trains are also specified to travel faster (360kmh vs 320), not a huge difference but regardless of if an e320 can reach 360, safety factors will mean changes in design.

Regardless the engineering challenges of making a train that fits the conventional network will be large, and regardless of the cancelling of phase 2, the trains would always be needed to travel onto the conventional network.

Energy

Established Member
Driving cars are significantly more expensive than the other coaches due to the cab equipment, so the cost will be significant increased by that regardless. HS2 trains are also specified to travel faster (360kmh vs 320), not a huge difference but regardless of if an e320 can reach 360, safety factors will mean changes in design.
ICE3 sets (25m 8 car) are about 40 million German marks or £17.582m per set, giving £949.428m for HS2. Velaros can already do 360kph, they just get uprated from 8MW to 8.8MW.
Regardless the engineering challenges of making a train that fits the conventional network will be large, and regardless of the cancelling of phase 2, the trains would always be needed to travel onto the conventional network.
Yes, though you wouldn't need as many.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Although some would say TSI was less important than level boarding, which would bring significant benefits to everyday users and the network in line with what a modern day network should live up to, rather than sticking to a guideline which doesn’t allow this, and is entirely pointless given the lack of any connection to HS1. The network is largely compliant, was there ever the chance of international trains running on HS2, I’m sure the issue could be revisited.
And level boarding can be achieved at TSI compliant platform heights, which incidentally includes (in the UK) 915mm - where level boarding is in operation every day in Greater Anglia. High speed trainsets with floor levels as low as 400mm above railhead have been ins revive for nigh on three decades (TGV Duplex).

HS2 just wanted a different platform height because they wanted it, they have a record in spending public money developing novel solutions in situations where existing ones are adequate. See the tunnel hood design debacle

And it will be impossible to "revisit" the issue.
Those platforms will be fixed at this nonstandard height forever, there is no going back and fixing this debacle later.

That is not necessarily so, not all High Speed rail paradigms require through running onto conventional lines.
Indeed, the politically imposed requirement for very large scale conventional running has crippled the scheme from the beginning.

Incidentally, HS2's obsession with non standard platforms on core station smean that HS2 trains will never have level boarding at conventional platforms.
Which given the utter failure of the scheme will be rather more often than not.

Last edited:

RobShipway

Established Member
That is not necessarily so, not all High Speed rail paradigms require through running onto conventional lines.
Indeed, the politically imposed requirement for very large scale conventional running has crippled the scheme from the beginning.

Incidentally, HS2's obsession with non standard platforms on core station smean that HS2 trains will never have level boarding at conventional platforms.
Which given the utter failure of the scheme will be rather more often than not.
Could it not be though that for HS2, the trains like many modern buses will be able to adjust their height such that with the HS2 platforms they become level boarding trains?

As many of the posts above have said it is about having issues in updating and changing the Victorian infrastructure of the West Coast Main Lines, but in having HS2 it helps provide more paths on the WCML so that you can have more freight and slower passenger service trains on the WCML in place of some of the faster passenger services on the WCML.

You have to remember that there is several freight trains using the WCML, as well as the Avanti West Coast express/Inter City services, as well as the local London North Western Rail (West Midlands Trains) services along the route. Yes, you have the freight trains and local WMR trains mostly on the slow lines where there is four tracks on the routes, but where the line goes down to two tracks, you need to provide timing such that the AWC services take priority due to their 125mph speed, followed by the local passenger services and then followed by the freight services. But all done such that no services are slowed down by another service.

with HS2 and this would have been better if it had been able to be built in full, you could have the AWC services increased on the HS2 sections to be able to do up to 250mph plus, giving quicker rail times and with that bringing to it more passengers from both cars and planes. This would then give more paths being available on the existing WCML lines for further slower expresss passenger trains, local passenger trains and most certainly enable more freight to have been taken from the roads to the rail.