• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HSTs in Mexico - news and progress updates

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
THE Mexican government has received 11 former British High Speed Train (HST) coaches and three HST class 43 diesel power cars, which will operate on the upgraded Isthmus of Tehuantepec Railway from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz.

The rolling stock, previously owned by rolling stock leasing company Angel Trains, left the port of Great Yarmouth on the east coast of England on August 9, with the BBC Arkhangelsk freight ship arriving in Coatzacoalcos a month later after calling at Castellón, Spain, and Corpus Christi, Texas.

The consignment was unloaded by September 10, with test operation and the application of a new livery undertaken almost immediately. The British HSTs will operate alongside two Spanish-built tram-trains previously used for a short-lived service in Puebla, Mexico....

This thread is to discuss updates regarding what is actually happening with the HSTs being deployed in Mexico.

Separately, we do also welcome any posts of a speculative nature (such as what people think should/could/might happen), but we do ask that these are posted in a separate thread:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/a-hst-to-be-used-in-mexico.253942/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

Do we know when passenger services are due to start? Are they operating as 2+5 formation as per the video in the other thread? And what speeds will they run upto in Mexico? Thanks for any information

HST2FIT

Wow 14 months, that’s a long time
Typo,
This december 2023

Are they going to beef up the air conditioning?
I thought those LNER coaches didn't have a/c at all.
They must do something, because I don't know how much people each car config can accommodate, now imagine all the people coping with the scorching 45 °C midday sun on the hottest days.

View attachment Credits José Benítez Bha.mp4

I'm glad to inform you that the Isthmian HST have successfully completed its first test run, a round trip from coast to coast (600 km in total)

FB video credits,
José Benítez Bha

Last edited:

On Moderation
All HST coaches have air conditioning.
I'm glad to inform you that the Isthmian HST have successfully completed its first test run, a round trip from coast to coast (600 km in total)
That’s the first end-to-end test run; various vehicles had been out on shorter test runs previously.

philosopher

Established Member
Typo,
This december 2023

They must do something, because I don't know how much people each car config can accommodate, now imagine all the people coping with the scorching 45 °C midday sun on the hottest days.
They do, but I suspect they were designed with UK temperatures, not Mexican temperatures in mind!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm more intrigued by whether they've beefed up the cooling arrangements for the engines, traction motors and similar!

Gag Halfrunt

As I said in another thread, perhaps the FIT originally intended to buy the XPTs. They would have been withdrawn this year if the new trains built by CAF weren't delayed.

PudseyBearHST

Typo,
This december 2023

View attachment 144682

FB video credits,
José Benítez Bha
Thanks, no messing about then. That’s great to hear, hope it’s a success

Iskra

Established Member
I'm more intrigued by whether they've beefed up the cooling arrangements for the engines, traction motors and similar!
Isn’t increased dust normally one of the biggest issues with UK engines/equipment used abroad, thinking back to some of the more recent military expeditions to desert areas? I know Challenger Tanks had major issues with dust, when initially employed in Iraq.

Alfonso

Isn’t increased dust normally one of the biggest issues with UK engines/equipment used abroad, thinking back to some of the more recent military expeditions to desert areas? I know Challenger Tanks had major issues with dust, when initially employed in Iraq.
The isthmus of tehuantepec is very very wet, think jungle type climate rather than desert

HST2FIT

I asked local railway workers about the max speed of the cargo trains and they never exceed the 60-70 kph, even when they're running empty. Geometry and defects inspection units have been surveying the rails recently. And the railway is receiving general maintenance. I would be very surprised to know that they can reach 100-110 kph (not mph), during short straight flat rail sections of 1-1.5 km long

Austriantrain

Established Member
All credit to the Mexicans; they just get on with things. Unlike another country I could mention...

Hmm… when you closed your entire passenger railway, it’s easy to then win applause by reopening a couple of lines. It‘s like if Beeching had closed everything and now Carlisle to Newcastle reopens.

(I know, the Yucatán railway is rather more, but It’s not where passenger railways in Mexico would be most useful).

HST2FIT

Here you can see the last trip from coast to coast with the Mexican president on board yesterday,
It took more than 6 hours to complete the non-stop ride.

He says service starts december 22 and the speed won't exceed 80 kph.

Alfonso

Here you can see the last trip from coast to coast with the Mexican president on board yesterday,
It took more than 6 hours to complete the non-stop ride.

He says service starts december 22 and the speed won't exceed 80 kph.
Interesting video. The President begins by explaining that he thinks the train is more relaxing than planes, buses and cars, and that ot will compete timewise with the bus. He talks about the "new" line being 150 years old and that its not nostalgic, but part of a plan for economic growth, industrial parks bringing assembly plants and good jobs that are all part of the plan for a state of wellbeing providing cradle to grave care for Mexicans. I'm not sure if it's edited because I the middle he talks about a lack of water, which could be related to the plans for a canal across the isthmus to compete with the Panama canal further South.

Alfonso

Oh dear, so the HSTs will rust into oblivion, eh?
Labour costs are likely much lower than in the UK, so it may be cost effective to both prevent and treat rust. I don't remember seeing lots of rusty trains in Mexico, so maybe hot and wet is not so much of a problem [edit] ...you probably won't get water condensing, and certainly no snow or ice

AdamWW

Established Member
Buying 40 year old trains for a network that isnt really one and does not serve local needs is getting things done?

Getting closer to 50 years now, aren't they?

I believe the Tren Maya is aimed at tourists.

Is the FIT also of little use to Mexicans?

Speed43125

Getting closer to 50 years now, aren't they?

I believe the Tren Maya is aimed at tourists.

Is the FIT also of little use to Mexicans?
I understand there are no other passenger mainline trains operational in Mexico, so even though this appears to be largely aimed at restoring through freight traffic, I'd assume it must be of some use given there must be plenty of low hanging fruit, in terms of reopenings, to choose from?