• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains services formed of two sets

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I saw a double unit Hull Trains service run through Hitchin yesterday at about midday. Is this normal?

Never saw it before, but the two 802s coupled together made a fine sight.

Wouldn't a double working cut down on the amount of stock for services later in the day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I saw a double unit Hull Trains service run through Hitchin yesterday at about midday. Is this normal? Never saw it before but the two 802s coupled together made a fine sight. Wouldn't a double working cut down on the amount of stock for services later in the day?
They have five units, and need three to provide the timetable if everything runs as a single unit.

Therefore, Hull Trains are able to double up on one diagram, while still having a maintenance spare, which they typically do over the weekend.

The units are based at Bounds Green, but the main flows are away from Hull, so some positioning moves are needed as well.

AirGamer

I've been on one of the doubled-up services

I recall at one of the stations (Howden?) the train being longer than the platform and ended up blocking the level crossing when stopped

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think they have 10 car daigrams on Friday as standard. Not sure specifically which trains, but you often do see a 10 car on Fridays (an weekends) more likely today as I suspect demand is higher with the engineering works at the weekend.

Barnsley

Hull train run 10 car formations on the 0824 from hull and return and the 1508 and return on Thursday Friday and Saturday, one unit goes ecs to Beverley, then the other unit shunts out of the sidings into Platform 7 where the unit from Beverley couples to it, the train is too long for the platform but is behind the signal, platform 7 is to be extended, Hull trains units stable in sidings C D and E overnight at Hull