• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hydroflex - testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

A hydrogen-powered train has travelled on Britain’s rail network for the first time.

The prototype, called the Hydroflex, made a 25-mile round trip through Warwickshire and Worcestershire, reaching speeds of up to 50 mph.

Its next phase is to move the hydrogen tanks, fuel cell and battery out of a carriage and stash them underneath the train.

The aim is for the train to start carrying paying passengers by the end of 2021.

Particularly enjoyed the lead engineer saying “This is cutting edge technology”, whilst on something that to all intents and purposes is a Class 319 squealing through some track work.

Anyway, it’s out testing on the main line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rd749249

Anything that emits only water has to be a good thing. Very encouraging.

iknowyeah

Whilst it's progress, the motor/hydrogen tank/converter takes up a whole carriage, and it barely made 50mph. A while yet before it's feasible in service

Bob Price

I remember seeing the Japanese one a few years ago on Japan Railway Journal, the converter took up a large space as well. Some work to do to get beyond the hype and into a real system.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Particularly enjoyed the lead engineer saying “This is cutting edge technology”, whilst on something that to all intents and purposes is a Class 319 squealing through some track work.

And wowing about 50mph - what year is it again? :D

Whilst it's progress, the motor/hydrogen tank/converter takes up a whole carriage, and it barely made 50mph. A while yet before it's feasible in service

I believe there's a technology, been around for years but a bit forgotten, that involves having a separate vehicle at the end of the train that contains the fuel and the means of processing it into movement. Can anyone think what that is? It'd be ideal.

You could even have an EMU onto which you could add one if it was necessary, designed to couple automatically and be controlled from the EMU.

:D

ABB125

Established Member
I rather like the BBC's statement that it ran on a 25 mile trip through Warwickshire: remind me, which county is Evesham in? :D
Had I not moved to Birmingham for university, I would have gone out to see it. I think that's the first time I've seen Evesham station on the news!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Not sure there is scope for more than 50mph on the route used - the branch is only 20mph, and Honeybourne-Evesham is only 5 miles of 75mph.
Evesham will not be impressed at being told it's in Warwickshire, either.

BRX

Established Member
Are these units testing something that's substantially different from the German entirely newbuild units that seem to be already in service, or nearly in service? Because at first sight, it seems like it's a technology that's already been developed further elsewhere.

hwl

Established Member
Are these units testing something that's substantially different from the German entirely newbuild units that seem to be already in service, or nearly in service? Because at first sight, it seems like it's a technology that's already been developed further elsewhere.
1) Showing it can be done in the UK with different gas safety rules (the non fuel cell hydrogen engineering challenges are large)
2) Someone other than the Alstom/Ballard partnership
3) A big part of the challenge is actually getting the battery and non hydrogen power systems right and tailored to routes /stopping patterns.
4) Beating Eversholt/Alstom and their PR machine to a first run in the UK, it shows the converted Breeze 321s aren't the only option.

It is an R&D project, they have only fitted a small set of fuel cells to avoid spending a whole lot of money on the first iteration, the idea to to examine all the challenges and gather understanding /learnings before service capable one is built. e.g. understanding battery management and software. (All Hydrogen MUs are Battery MUs with a Hydrogen powered charger, that charges at substantially less than the maximum traction power requirement with the rest coming from the batteries)

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
1) Showing it can be done in the UK with different gas safety rules (the non fuel cell hydrogen engineering challenges are large)
Are they more restrictive in the UK?

hwl

Established Member
Are they more restrictive in the UK?
Some differences and then there is all the UK specific paperwork sign off, working out the steps in the certification process for Hydrogen is also part of the learning experience. Hydroflex is a learning experience rather than a product in the current iteration.

The Hydroflex has so much potential and it is a great step for decarbonisation.

But then you look at the class 769s and how long the delays with the engines took. How much more with the new hydrogen equipment.

Doesn't look promising production wise

DerekC

Established Member
Good progress - I know how much hard work has gone into this. Yes, there is a long way to go, but at least we have started! the University of Birmingham's press release is a bit more informative on some aspects, including "the ambition for Tees Valley to become a trailblazing Hydrogen Transport Hub".

Not sure about trailblazing and hydrogen together in the same sentence! However:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/l...ure-as-transport-hub-and-train-announced.aspx

UK embraces hydrogen-fuelled future as transport hub and train announced
Posted on 30 Sep 2020