• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Dalston Junction.

greyman42

Established Member
There was an incident at Dalston Jc. with a disabled traveller and am surprised that there has been no mention of it on the forum. Does anyone have any details on it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Somewhere

Thought they fell on the track or something by your use of the word 'incident'.
Why would it be on this forum? How do you know about it?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There's an online newspaper web article below... Incident seems to have been a few days ago (last Thursday?) It's claimed that the lift has been out of order for some time.

Extract...
A disabled wheelchair user has filmed herself crawling up the stairs at a London Overground station because the lifts were broken.

Jennie Berry, a disabled content creator who runs a blog called the Wheelie Good Life, said there had been no prior warning of the lifts being out of service at Dalston Junction station on Thursday night.

Mcv378

I believe she had to haul herself up the stairs on her backside, as there was no working lift and no staff to assist.
Overground stations are staffed from first train to last, I'm assuming staff were not monitoring the station or the help point wasn't pressed.

Bayum

Established Member
I can’t remember why she was pushing herself up the stairs, but the mechanic proudly announced as she reached the top that the lift had been fixed and the CSAs had a good laugh…

Established Member
I can’t remember why she was pushing herself up the stairs, but the mechanic proudly announced as she reached the top that the lift had been fixed and the CSAs had a good laugh…
That’s disgusting of the staff to laugh like that, making the lady feel even more degraded that she already would have.

ExRes

Established Member

You were there to witness it then?

Silver Cobra

You were there to witness it then?
The disabled passenger mentioned this in her instagram post linked within the article.

I crawled up the stairs and staff appeared when I was 3 steps from the top. They informed me that the lift has been broken for a month & ‘didn’t you know?’. I explained I’m not from here & surprisingly I don’t keep a log of functioning lifts in London.

At the top of the 15 min climb, the lift technician decides to announce that he’s actually got the lift working. The two staff members behind me think this is hilarious and you can hear them laughing on the video about it.

Class 170101

Established Member
But surely it would have been easier to carry onto the next station and double back?

jfowkes

But surely it would have been easier to carry onto the next station and double back?
Dalston Junction was the last station for her service and this was the last train.

Even if doubling back were possible, wouldn't she be stuck in the same place? It's one big staircase for all the platforms at Dalston Junction.

And all this assumes that she knew in advance about the lift issues, which she obviously didn't. That's part of the problem, the bad information from TfL.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That’s sickening

Signal_Box

The disabled passenger mentioned this in her instagram post linked within the article.

Couldn’t the person filming of alerted staff, or was it an opportunity to good to miss to make a point to good to pass up ?

Darandio

Established Member
Couldn’t the person filming of alerted staff, or was it an opportunity to good to miss to make a point to good to pass up ?

It's just a shame you didn't say they should have been assisting her up the stairs as well, thread bingo would have been completed.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It's a common "woke" trend these days, in which people make a lot of racket about doing what they perceive the right/progressive thing, but don't actually take any action themselves. But I think all the while the staff did diddly squat, the finger should be pointed at them, never mind anyone else for now.

Established Member
Why is it always the person people have a go at? Rather than the train company for not having a working lift? Visible staff presence on the platform?
How could the person filming of helped her up the stairs? You’re assuming the lady would be able to stand and move legs to get up?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why is it always the person people have a go at? Rather than the train company for not having a working lift? Visible staff presence on the platform?
They're all bad but to be fair I am guessing the train company doesn't find it funny.

The woman had to haul herself up the stairs, which she shouldn't have had to do, and humiliate herself. That the lift got fixed straight after she got to the top is not funny in the moment and them laughing was unacceptable.

Established Member
They're all bad but to be fair I am guessing the train company doesn't find it funny.

The woman had to haul herself up the stairs, which she shouldn't have had to do, and humiliate herself. That the lift got fixed straight after she got to the top is not funny in the moment and them laughing was unacceptable.
I fully agree with what you say, it’s humiliating for the lady or any person in that situation.
My point was aimed at the post turning it back to the lady in question.

D1537

That would have been the staff that were nowhere to be seen until she had crawled up the stairs? There's always one, isn't there?

Samzino

From what seems to be coming out in a report, she was actually offered assistance at Shoreditch High street where her Journey started and this is noted, however, refused assistance. On the platform of Dalston there was no use made of the Help points, once she was approached by staff she didn't want to take the Train to the next stop Highbury and Islington of which a Taxi would be provided back to Dalston by LO for the inconvenience.

The staff and the mechanic did not cover themselves in Glory either especially laughing, if you can't deal with the situation then its better to have stayed away, whilst being non present would have been an issue itself at least it wouldn't have been blatant disrespect. Staff was indeed around, of their usefulness to the situation after the initial solution of a next stop was denied, not so much. There's still quite a bit of investigating going on from what little I know of which is more so finding out the remaining bits and pieces and solutions for next time avoiding such a situation.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Believe that’s you shot down in flames.

Apologies. Autocorrect autocorrected shot into an expletive. Thanks, Siri.

Not a flame to be seen thank you very much, I don't see why I shouldn't ask where you got the evidence to make your claim, courtesy of social media we see far too much blame attribution on the basis of he said / she said which is believed without question

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not a flame to be seen thank you very much, I don't see why I shouldn't ask where you got the evidence to make your claim, courtesy of social media we see far too much blame attribution on the basis of he said / she said which is believed without question
The video was posted in the link in post 6.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What with the sarcasm it wasn't the most pleasantly worded, and perpetuated the too oft issue of people getting defensive whenever anyone suggests rail staff have played a less than shining role in a situation.

The source was also quoted in Post 6. If you don't actually read the sources, I'm a little confused as to why you "asked" for one from someone else? :)

That would have been the staff that were nowhere to be seen until she had crawled up the stairs? There's always one, isn't there?
The same staff allegedly had a good laugh at the poor woman's expense, so attempting to defend them for something else has little merit, to be honest.