• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a 2 mile walk (suggested by journey planners) reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've had the OJP telling me to walk from Tottenham Hale to Seven Sisters. I don't know why, as it wasn't nighttime. And they thought I could do it in 5 minutes.
Which journey planner was that?

Man Picc to Man Vic, when the Ordsall Chord isn't the quickest route. Some tickets for journeys within Manchester (e.g. Rochdale to Manchester Airport) have "via Metrolink CTLZ" to allow for your existing ticket to be used. No use if you're going to Leeds and the through services from Picc aren't running.

Some sites produce a split to get around this: MIA->MCZ, MCV->LDS.
The forum site does a good job of this; there is the option to exclude the metrolink in advanced options, while anyone who is given such an itinerary and whose ticket doesn't include it, is informed very clearly of this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plugwash

Established Member
The purpose of the transfer link is that it's supposed to be at your own discretion and cost.
The problem with that idea is that the vast majority of journey planning sites (trainsplit excepted) don't offer any way to say "no I don't want this bloody transfer, give me a proper rail route".

alistairlees

Established Member
On over-optimistic fixed links, while looking through the fixed links file yesterday in response to this thread, I found this:

Code:
M=TRANSFER,O=CWX,D=LBG,T=18,S=0001,E=0659,P=4,R=0000001
M=TRANSFER,O=CWX,D=LBG,T=18,S=0001,E=0629,P=4,R=0000010
M=TRANSFER,O=CWX,D=LBG,T=18,S=0001,E=0529,P=4,R=1111100

This specifies a passengers-make-their-own-way transfer between Canary Wharf and London Bridge at night, and suggests 18 minutes as the time to do that in!!!!
Well, 33 minutes really. 5 minutes interchange at Canary Wharf (EL), and 10 minutes at London Bridge, must be included too. Though I do agree that it still seems a bit tight.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The problem with that idea is that the vast majority of journey planning sites (trainsplit excepted) don't offer any way to say "no I don't want this bloody transfer, give me a proper rail route".
The problem is that in many cases, there is no alternative route that's permitted (at least, for a through ticket). In some cases, avoiding the transfer also takes much longer.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I was looking at Axminster to Weymouth for Monday of next week.
Every itinerary offered includes a 2 mile walk from Yeovil junction to Pen mill.
Is a 2 mile walk really considered reasonable for an itinerary? It allowed 48 mins.

Reality is I am going to take the X51/X53 bus service, I was just weighing up all options, and couldn’t believe a rail itinerary included a 2 mile walk.

If the bus service is infrequent and you could get there quicker than walking, than by taking the next bus, then why shouldn't it suggest the option? The other day I walked a total of 12.5km, which involved a walk to my nearest station, walking around in central Manchester and walking home from the station.

Rail only journey planners think it's OK to suggest walking from Piccadilly to Victoria in Manchester (1.0 miles) but don't think it's OK to suggest walking from Greenbank to Hartford (1.1 miles).

Some sites produce a split to get around this: MIA->MCZ, MCV->LDS.

Don't forget in some instances the TfGM Wayfarer is valid for the train journey and the cross-city Metrolink journey. It's likely to be the cheapest options if you're travelling between one of the Peak District stations and a non-GM station served by Victoria trains.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Rail only journey planners think it's OK to suggest walking from Piccadilly to Victoria in Manchester (1.0 miles)
They suggest a "transfer", not explicitly a walk. That transfer could involve walking (and for those able to walk quickly, that is probably the fastest and certainly the most reliable option) but it could equally well involve taking the free bus (route 2), the Metrolink, or a taxi. Or even a train via Salford Crescent or the Ordsall Chord, though these options would tend to be suggested if they were faster.

It's clearly poor that there isn't just ticket acceptance on the Metrolink and a "metro" fixed link, but I don't think the underlying data is wrong - or as unreasonable as the original example between the Yeovil stations - for suggesting a "transfer".

but don't think it's OK to suggest walking from Greenbank to Hartford (1.1 miles).
The existence of a fixed link isn't purely dependent on the distance between stations, as the Yeovil link demonstrates. The most significant factor is likely to have been whether the fixed link is necessary for the fastest journeys - or sensible ones, at least - to be offered.

Whilst there are some journeys where a Greenbank to Hartford fixed link would be useful, it's really rather niche compared to transferring across Manchester or indeed Yeovil. Going via Stockport or Chester will be just as quick, if not quicker, in most cases; it will rarely cost more than an hour. By contrast, being unable to transfer across Manchester/Yeovil could extend journeys by several hours.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've had the OJP telling me to walk from Tottenham Hale to Seven Sisters. I don't know why, as it wasn't nighttime. And they thought I could do it in 5 minutes.
Probably a covid thing, TfL did all sort of strange things with the journey planner to discourage people from using the tube. Adding transfer time at the start and end of each journey is another covid 'trick' they've left in place to make jpurneys appear longer than they actually are.

Until fairly recently, if you used a journey planner to find out how long it took to go from Kings Cross St Pancras to Vauxhall (a 9 minute journey on the Voctoria Line) ity would telll you to alight at Pimlico and walk!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I thought the shortest route purely by rail was always permitted.

Well going back to the original journey that started this thread - Axminster to Weymouth can in principle be done via Yeovil purely by rail, since there are a few SWR trains that link the two Yeovil stations. But before SWR introduced those trains, I believe the shortest purely-by-rail route would've been via Exeter, Taunton and Castle Cary. I'm not quite sure how impressed a guard on a train between Exeter and Taunton would have been at being presented with an Axminster to Weymouth ticket ;)

richw

Veteran Member
I'm not quite sure how impressed a guard on a train between Exeter and Taunton would have been at being presented with an Axminster to Weymouth ticket ;)
The only other obvious rail option would be I assume to Salisbury then back to westbury and then castle Cary, or salisbury - Southampton then back to Weymouth.

kieron

Established Member
Are you sure of that? On a quick check, I can't find any reference to East Croydon-West Croydon in my fixed link data files, and a quick check on the journey planners comes up with recommendations to use the train the whole way for that journey, either via Norwood Junction or via Clapham Junction and Wimbledon.
nre.co.uk doesn't rely wholly on the rail data files, as it can sometimes tell you which Underground line to use between two stations. It may have found the tram link in the same data.

It does seem to have gone now, though. This is handy if you have a ticket which isn't valid on trams, but not so good if you have one which requires them. I don't know if you can get an itinerary for (say) a "via Tramlink 1" Epsom-Oxted ticket online anywhere.
Is the connection time currently set to allow for people to walk?
It is according to the page here (which I can't find on the live web site), which says that you should allow 60 minutes whether you walk or use the bus. The bus doesn't take that long, but it only runs once an hour.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The data between Yeovil Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill is not a "walk" option, despite what some people may think. It is a "transfer".

The issue is that journey planners are not, on their front ends, making it clear what this means. Somoe, such as the GWR app above, are misleadingly suggesting it is a walk (through the use of a 'walk' symbol); and others, such as National Rail, are misleadingly suggesting it might be a bus (with space for a bicycle?), again through the use of symbols.

The issue right now is one of presentation, rather than data.

Of course, that could be improved further with better data too (e.g. actual bus schedules), and ticket acceptance on these...
So what mode of transport did they have in mind when setting the transfer time? After all different modes of transport will take different amounts of time so they must have had something in mind or how would they know how long to allow?

TUC

Established Member
Yep - just looked at the National Rail journey planner, and it implies transfer:

View attachment 139887

I would say that's pretty bad. Most people are not even going to know what the double arrow signifying 'transfer' even means. I mean, I'm very familiar with the rail network and even I don't really understand exactly what 'transfer' is supposed in general to imply for mode of transport. So would say there's a pretty high risk that someone who isn't familiar with the rail network could book that journey believing that the train will take them all the way. That really needs fixing.
I saw the same 'transfer' word when looking a different journey planner. That is really bad. In what way did the person writing that think that for most people it would mean anything than some method of them being transferred between the two stations, such as a bus?

Circa 1992, British Rail created the first journey planner: CATE; which was used by Telephone Enquiry Bureau staff to provide journey info to callers. For non-timetabled inter-station connections the fixed-link facility was created.

This allowed the journey planner to calculate the time need to travel between the two station, with a suggestion as to what the mode was. Where the mode couldn't accurately be determined the catch all "Transfer" was used. As it was experienced enquiry staff looking at the results, they could then advise the passenger as to what that fixed-link was and whether it was included in the rail fare.

When journey planners moved out of the TEBs into the public domain no effort was made to enhance the fixed-link data. What you are seeing now is the de facto data standard from 1992. Unless or until someone stumps up some money to completely re-vamp how those non-timetabled inter-station connections are displayed will remain as they are now.
Surely it would not be expensive, except in a few days of staff time, for someone to edit each of those 'transfer, references amd set out in each case what they actually mean e.g. 'walk', 'bus'. etc?

The itinerary will suggest a transfer - ‘make your own way’. You can get a bus or taxi, for example or, if you wish, walk. There is no walk fixed link.
'Fixed link ' is a fantasy made up term by the rail system. It has zero additional benefits for passengers over and above saying 'walk'.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Surely it would not be expensive, except in a few days of staff time, for someone to edit each of those 'transfer, references amd set out in each case what they actually mean e.g. 'walk', 'bus'. etc?
Most, if not all, where a walk is envisaged are already coded as 'walk'. Changing others to 'bus' would only work if ticket acceptance were agreed with the relevant bus operator, or alternatively if all relevant tickets were re-routed to state that the use of the bus was excluded.

Both of these would require significant amounts of funding and cross-industry cooperation respectively, so realistically, it's not happening.

'Fixed link ' is a fantasy made up term by the rail system.
It is, but no public reference is made to this term.

It has zero additional benefits for passengers over and above saying 'walk'.
Except that most 'transfer' fixed links aren't envisaged as walks. Some are for journeys where there are multiple feasible options, such as crossing Manchester or London.

Don't get me wrong - the current arrangement is rubbish and often unclear. But simply changing things in bulk isn't the answer; what's really needed is a root and branch review of the fixed link data structure so that appropriate methods of transfers can be clearly indicated in journeys planners.

alistairlees

Established Member
'Fixed link ' is a fantasy made up term by the rail system. It has zero additional benefits for passengers over and above saying 'walk'.
Fixed link is an industry data term meaning that, for a journey between two points, there is no schedule train (or bus or ship).

Fixed link modes include
- walk
- underground
- metro
- bus
- transfer

It's these modes that are intended to be displayed on journey planners.

I have always agreed that 'transfer' is not a helpful term and could be improved, either in the data or in the front ends of journey planners. As it's unlikely to get improved in the data any time soon, then the burden will fall on the providers of journey planners.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I would guess that the problem is, maintaining that data. The issue is, TRANSFER is being used where the travel options are outside the control of the rail industry - and that means the rail industry would need to maintain active research to keep up to date with those options. Suppose for example someone edits one of the TRANSFER fixed links to show that there is a bus available - where the bus is provided by a bus company and has nothing to do with the trains, but then 6 months' later the bus service gets withdrawn? You'd need a team constantly working on it to make sure journey planners don't provide incorrect information. That's going to be a lot more than 'a few days of staff time' to solve (although in principle it would be great if a solution could be found).

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that 'BUS' is used as a fixed link mode where the bus is either under the direct control of a rail operator or ticket acceptance is in operation?)

It seems to me that, as long as the current data structure is what is available, the real problem at the moment is that journey planners are just showing 'TRANSFER' without any explanation of what it means.

SargeNpton

Established Member
On over-optimistic fixed links, while looking through the fixed links file yesterday in response to this thread, I found this:

Code:
M=TRANSFER,O=CWX,D=LBG,T=18,S=0001,E=0659,P=4,R=0000001
M=TRANSFER,O=CWX,D=LBG,T=18,S=0001,E=0629,P=4,R=0000010
M=TRANSFER,O=CWX,D=LBG,T=18,S=0001,E=0529,P=4,R=1111100

This specifies a passengers-make-their-own-way transfer between Canary Wharf and London Bridge at night, and suggests 18 minutes as the time to do that in!!!!
For all fixed-links you need to add in the minimum interchange time for the stations at each end of the link.

TUC

Established Member
Fixed link is an industry data term meaning that, for a journey between two points, there is no schedule train (or bus or ship).

Fixed link modes include
- walk
- underground
- metro
- bus
- transfer

It's these modes that are intended to be displayed on journey planners.

I have always agreed that 'transfer' is not a helpful term and could be improved, either in the data or in the front ends of journey planners. As it's unlikely to get improved in the data any time soon, then the burden will fall on the providers of journey planners.
I recognise what fixed link is meant to mean. However, the definition would not be obvious to most passengers. Even a line which said 'Walk (unless alternative transport is available)' would be of more assistanc..

CyrusWuff

Established Member
For a timetabled fixed link to appear correctly in journey planners it would also need to be entered (and maintained) in rail industry systems.

This is fine for something like the bits of the Bakerloo and District Line that run onto Network Rail infrastructure, thus have to be imported anyway, but for anything else there would be at least some manual work involved.

TUC

Established Member
I would guess that the problem is, maintaining that data. The issue is, TRANSFER is being used where the travel options are outside the control of the rail industry - and that means the rail industry would need to maintain active research to keep up to date with those options. Suppose for example someone edits one of the TRANSFER fixed links to show that there is a bus available - where the bus is provided by a bus company and has nothing to do with the trains, but then 6 months' later the bus service gets withdrawn? You'd need a team constantly working on it to make sure journey planners don't provide incorrect information. That's going to be a lot more than 'a few days of staff time' to solve (although in principle it would be great if a solution could be found).
A protocol with local bus companies who operate the relevant services proving the links for them to advise of any changes would, whilst not foolproof, would be a good starting point.

It also has to be said that Google Maps seems to quite quickly pick up on changes to bus services, presumably without a team dedicated to monitoring such changes in each town, so there must be ways of effectively managing tasks like this.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
A protocol with local bus companies who operate the relevant services proving the links for them to advise of any changes would, whilst not foolproof, would be a good starting point.

It also has to be said that Google Maps seems to quite quickly pick up on changes to bus services, presumably without a team dedicated to monitoring such changes in each town, so there must be ways of effectively managing tasks like this.

I believe there is a data source of all timetabled bus services - I can't recall the details of the source, but presumably it's the same source that bustimes.org uses. I would surmise that Google maps feeds off that. Probably journey planners could in principle do the same, or ATOC could filter that data to include it in the links data. but it wouldn't be zero effort. Also, since journey planners actually sell you tickets, it raises difficult questions of who is responsible if those journey planners supply data on bus journeys and the bus journeys then get delayed or cancelled outside the rail industry's control, causing rail connections to be missed. That's a problem Google doesn't have to worry about, since they don't sell tickets.

Greybeard33

Established Member
As I understand it, there are 6 ways of transferring (defined in the fixed links data): BUS, FERRY, METRO, TRANSFER, TUBE, WALK. Glasgow Central to Queen Street is defined as BUS during the day and WALK at night - hence the journey planner offered you a bus. Yeovil Junction to Pen Mill on the other hand is defined as TRANSFER - which is going to be quite obscure to the general public when it crops up on journey planners (although @Starmill and others have clarified on this thread that it means, make your own way at your own expense), and is therefore appearing as 'transfer' on journey planners.
Is there a distance/time limit for a WALK fixed link? And is the assumed walking speed the same in all cases?

As an example, New Mills Central - New Mills Newtown is a 1.2km WALK fixed link and is defined as 18 minutes both ways. That agrees with the Google Maps walk timing for the blue signed main road walking route (Google also shows a zigzag route that is slightly shorter and quicker) but would be challenging for many elderly passengers, or those with luggage or small children. The NRE planner explicitly shows the 18 minute walk time, but the Northern planner just says "Walk from New Mills Central to New Mills Newtown", which could catch out those unfamiliar with the area.

Are some TRANSFER fixed links longer than would be permitted for a WALK fixed link?

TUC

Established Member
I believe there is a data source of all timetabled bus services - I can't recall the details of the source, but presumably it's the same source that bustimes.org uses. I would surmise that Google maps feeds off that. Probably journey planners could in principle do the same, or ATOC could filter that data to include it in the links data. but it wouldn't be zero effort. Also, since journey planners actually sell you tickets, it raises difficult questions of who is responsible if those journey planners supply data on bus journeys and the bus journeys then get delayed or cancelled outside the rail industry's control, causing rail connections to be missed. That's a problem Google doesn't have to worry about, since they don't sell tickets.
I presume though, as with many other areas of life, it would be possible to add a disclaimer along the lines of 'Train operating companies cannot accept any responsibility for delays arising from bus services that are not operated or commissioned by them'.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Is there a distance/time limit for a WALK fixed link? And is the assumed walking speed the same in all cases?
The time limit for any fixed link is 99 minutes. There's no distance limit.

A quick look gives Hillingdon - Heathrow Underground, Hillingdon - London Eurostar (CIV), Hillingdon - London International (CIV), West Ruislip - Heathrow Underground, West Ruislip - Fenchurch Street, Amersham - Fenchurch Street and Amersham - Heathrow Underground as all being set at 99 minutes.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Use a general journey planner instead of a railway one.

Google maps knows about the 51/53 buses via Bridport, the 68 between the Yeovil stations and the 5 from Sherborne to Dorchester as well as the trains and offers itineraries accordingly.

TUC

Established Member
The time limit for any fixed link is 99 minutes. There's no distance limit.

A quick look gives Hillingdon - Heathrow Underground, Hillingdon - London Eurostar (CIV), Hillingdon - London International (CIV), West Ruislip - Heathrow Underground, West Ruislip - Fenchurch Street, Amersham - Fenchurch Street and Amersham - Heathrow Underground as all being set at 99 minutes.
That definition does sound very driven by London though. There is a big difference between a 99 minute fixed link on a tube vs 99 minutes walking.

kkong

You misunderstand; this data is just the nominal time between stations and is added to the interchange time for both.

In the case of Glasgow Central & Queen Street that's 15 + 5 + 10 = 30 minutes; ample time for the slowest of walkers or someone who is slow to the bus and just misses one.

A nominal fixed link of 5 mins for this bus journey seems optimistic (if you can't walk and have to rely on the bus).

In the evenings (and all day Sunday), buses run every 20 minutes and are scheduled to take 6 mins (GLC to GLQ) or 11 mins (GLQ to GLC).

That could take you over 30 mins just for the bus leg from GLQ to GLC, before even considering getting to/from the platforms at the stations.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is there a distance/time limit for a WALK fixed link?
In terms of distance, no, not really. There are longer walks out there, for example 30 minutes between Hertford North and East - although Google Maps reckons it takes 20 minutes, and I've managed it in about 15 minutes.

And is the assumed walking speed the same in all cases?
It would seem not. It's difficult to say where the assumed timings come from, but they won't all necessarily have been added at the same time or by the same person/company.

Are some TRANSFER fixed links longer than would be permitted for a WALK fixed link?
I don't think so, although it's possible. 'Transfer' is generally used where another mode of transport other than walking is envisaged.

I was just idling through the SWT website and discovered timetable 20F which lists the bus service between the two via the town centre (Route 68, supported by Somerset Council).
I am not sure why this data has not been incorporated into the online planners as the bus service seems adequate and removes the need to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.