• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a 2 mile walk (suggested by journey planners) reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was just idling through the SWT website and discovered timetable 20F which lists the bus service between the two via the town centre (Route 68, supported by Somerset Council).
I am not sure why this data has not been incorporated into the online planners as the bus service seems adequate and removes the need to walk.
That would be SWR's decision not to send such times to NR for upload. Considering they have the coaches to Heathrow and the IOW ferries from Portsmouth and Lymington in the system, there's no technical reason not to. I would hazard a guess that it's either because there's a revenue/ticketing issue (although there should be means to put a 'needs a separate ticket' flag on it), or because the times are liable to change and SWR don't want to spend the time making sure they're not missing short-term amendments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WAB

That would be SWR's decision not to send such times to NR for upload. Considering they have the coaches to Heathrow and the IOW ferries from Portsmouth and Lymington in the system, there's no technical reason not to. I would hazard a guess that it's either because there's a revenue/ticketing issue (although there should be means to put a 'needs a separate ticket' flag on it), or because the times are liable to change and SWR don't want to spend the time making sure they're not missing short-term amendments.
These are the usual reasons why they don't tend to appear in the national timetable. I don't see this changing until a special team is set up to establish bus links and maintain the data in the national timetable and the fares databases, but neither the railway or the bus industry are particularly bothered.

fandroid

Established Member
SWR do it for their all inclusive tickets to Cowes IoW too. Those include a bus link in Southampton as well as ferries to both East Cowes (car ferry) and West Cowes (Redjet). The bus is sponsored by the ferry company, Red Funnel, so I guess that there's a degree of certainty over the timetable. Oddly, the bus is named as a "bus replacement service" in the itineraries.

WAB

SWR do it for their all inclusive tickets to Cowes IoW too. Those include a bus link in Southampton as well as ferries to both East Cowes (car ferry) and West Cowes (Redjet). The bus is sponsored by the ferry company, Red Funnel, so I guess that there's a degree of certainty over the timetable. Oddly, the bus is named as a "bus replacement service" in the itineraries.
IIRC, it's quite easy on certain timetabling programmes to make it a bus replacement rather than a scheduled bus, presumably as the main use of the function is for bus replacements.

richw

Veteran Member
Oddly, the bus is named as a "bus replacement service" in the itineraries.
I beleive red funnel sponsored it when the local bus operator withdrew the commercial service. It is effectively a commercial bus replacement service

Starmill

Veteran Member
I was just idling through the SWT website and discovered timetable 20F which lists the bus service between the two via the town centre (Route 68, supported by Somerset Council).
I am not sure why this data has not been incorporated into the online planners as the bus service seems adequate and removes the need to walk.
You can't use rail tickets on the bus unfortunately. There's no chance of the local authority funding this. The Department could fund it via GWR or SWR, but they choose not to and I can't see that changing. It would probably only cost a few thousand pounds per year for a relatively small number of journeys on a service that already runs.

philthetube

Established Member
I just looked at a journey from Bricket wood to Luton, shown via St Albans, fair enough the Bit between St Albans Abbey and central is shown as a walk but info is needed about the difficulty of it, approx. one mile with a big climb.

Anyone not studying the offered route carefully before departing could end up in trouble, though there are buses.

There are quite a few walks of this sort offered, it is not that they shouldn't be offered, just that what is offered should be specified.

Maybe test such as, (in this case), involves one mile walk with steep climb.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I just looked at a journey from Bricket wood to Luton, shown via St Albans, fair enough the Bit between St Albans Abbey and central is shown as a walk but info is needed about the difficulty of it, approx. one mile with a big climb.

Anyone not studying the offered route carefully before departing could end up in trouble, though there are buses.

There are quite a few walks of this sort offered, it is not that they shouldn't be offered, just that what is offered should be specified.

Maybe test such as, (in this case), involves one mile walk with steep climb.
Much of the hill can be easily avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.