• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

87electric

I agree you had a very enjoyable year with lots of variety. Looking at your map of track coverage it might be a good idea to get over to the Isle of Wight especially as the 1938 stock will be replaced by the 230s. Maybe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
I agree you had a very enjoyable year with lots of variety. Looking at your map of track coverage it might be a good idea to get over to the Isle of Wight especially as the 1938 stock will be replaced by the 230s. Maybe.

Yes that is a very good call thank you. A trip to mid Wales could also be on the agenda too I think.

Iskra

Established Member
5/1-10/1 All my Christmas' come at once

It's that time of year again where I use up the remainder of my annual leave and take advantage of the cheaper fares/rates you find in the cold deadness of January to do something totally random. A quick forewarning, this report is probably more about general travel than it is trains, but I did make sure that I got some in.

5/1

My trip started with an uber down to Sheffield station. I'd done a full shift at work that day, after our staff post-Christmas do the night before, so a trip to Burger King was required and very much enjoyed. Still feeling rough, I tried a bit of Hair of the Dog and went to the fantastic Sheffield Tap for a couple of pints before my train.

1935 Sheffield-Manchester Piccadilly. EMR 158.

I used EMR even though it requires a change because I'm thoroughly bored of TP and their 185's. It was a nice change, the unit in good condition and there was plenty of room. A pleasant journey was had.

2051 Manchester Piccadilly-Manchester Airport. TP 185.

I caught this one off the island platform, it was pretty empty so an enjoyable and short trip to the airport.

Due to an early flight the next day I had booked a hotel. I booked the Radisson Blu due to its proximity to both the train station and the airport. I had a Superior room, although I can't remember if that's what I booked or if they upgraded me, it was however excellent. The room was nice, it featured a ridiculously big bed and a panoramic window looking out on to the aircraft, yet amazingly you could hear no aircraft noise at all- it was the quietest airport hotel that I've ever stayed in.

6/1

It was a quick walk over to the airport and through security. I headed to Costa for a bit of breakfast and then WHSmiths to purchase some essentials for my trip.

0645 Manchester Airport-Kiev Boryspil. Ryanair 737-800.

This was a nice new, clean aircraft. After much deliberation I've decided that Ryanair are actually better on their longer flights. On the short flights they pretty much ram their service and sales proposition down your throat in a fast and furious manner, that is not particularly enjoyable. On these longer flights the same stuff happens, but it's more spread out over a longer duration meaning it is less intense and a more relaxing experience. This flight was also extra good because I got a spare seat next to me. A thick blanket of cloud meant their were no views except the pleasant sunrise until close to Kiev, where a few snowy fields were spotted.

On landing, we were bussed the 50m to the terminal building. Everything was very efficient. I don't think the passport control lady approved of my passport containing a Russian visa from a previous trip, causing her to mumble disapprovingly to her colleague and then stamp right next to the Russian stamps. I was pleased to get a stamp though. Outside of the airport I caught the shuttle bus to the other terminal where the train station is. I'd randomly turned up with very little time to spare before departure time, I tried to buy a ticket but I was ushered towards the train resulting in a dramatic last gasp boarding attempt with the guard shouting at me and the train tooting its horn. It briefly felt like I was in a movie scene. On board the one carriage train, it was full and standing (despite 3+2 seating) and there was luggage everywhere. Despite this the guard did come down and sell me a ticket, asking for my name at the same time. He later appeared with a receipt for me from the cab. Glad to see it isn't just the UK where totally inadequate trains are run on airport services. The journey is not too long, but runs at a pretty slow pace, but you do see quite a lot of interesting rail stuff before arriving at Kyiv Pasazhyrskyi station.

parry.jpg

The Ukrainian Parry People Mover. On the right is a regional train, steam coming from the heating system.

Adjacent to the station, is a railway museum:

kiev rail musuem.jpg
From here, I took a very cheap Ukrainian Uber to my hotel which was on a tramline:

Kiev tram.jpg
My hotel was very nice, in a quiet area but with plenty of local amenities and only a 10 minute walk into the main areas of Kiev. I still had plenty of time so I was keen to get out and explore. So, I grabbed another very cheap Uber to the State Aviation museum. When I got in the taxi, christmas music kept playing on the radio. I thought that was a bit odd. On arriving at the State Aviation Museum, it was deserted and, in fact closed. It turned out that it was Christmas Eve in Orthodox Christianity. I had no idea when I booked my trip that I'd booked it over their Christmas! To make the most of being locked outside a museum in -6 degrees, I read some of the stuff about the museum and took some pictures through the fence.

state aviation.jpg

I did at least manage to just make out a Tupolev Tu-22 through the fence which was the main reason for my visit. After waiting long enough to avoid the embarrassment of getting the same Uber driver that dropped me off, I hailed another Uber to take me to to see some of the other sites of Kiev. This time, unexpected christmas gave me a pleasant surprise. There was a massive christmas market going on, with a fantastic atmosphere, it felt really festive in the freezing temperatures. As well as a normal christmas market, they also have a christmas 'meat market' with loads of stalls selling lots of different types of meat dishes, with various accompaniments. I visited one of these for tea, the lady told me it was beef, served on the bone with potato and grilled mushrooms and peppers- random but it was nice and filling. I then checked out a few of the tourist sights before heading back to my hotel via a supermarket. In my hotel room, a Christmas tree had appeared as well as a personalised card and some chocolates. This hotel was excellent, and the friendly lady on the front desk also helped me with some basic Russian phrases.

church.jpg

7/1- Christmas Day

Not having the faintest clue about Orthodox Christianity, I had no idea it was Christmas Day this day when I booked it. I got up very early and walked through a deserted and cold Kiev towards the train station. The walk took me through some pretty ropey alleys and passageways, but every time I was getting the feeling of 'should I be walking down here' I would stumble on a police car parked up or even a police man who were always just where they were needed. As I reached the station, it suddenly went from there being no-one around to crowds of people.

Kiev station.jpg

Kyiv Pasazhyrskyi station, early in the morning

The busiest place of all, was of course McDonalds, which was heaving inside, but I noticed a smaller queue at a hatch down the side so I went there for a morning coffee.

The departure boards were absolutely huge, taking up the full wall on the Cathedral sized building. They also made little sense to me, being in Cyrillic script. After trying to work it out, I gave up and went to look for my train based on rolling stock type instead. On the over bridge, I could see a smaller platform departure board that did have my train number on it and shortly after, the right train did pull in.

hyundia.jpg

When the train pulled in, you had to form a queue at the carriage provodnik who checked your ticket and ID. These are the most modern units in the fleet. I was booked in 1st class to avoid 2+3 seating, because it was cheap and because I was on a 5 hour journey to Lviv. The carriage interior was pleasant and I had a no show next to me so gained a bit of extra room. The seat recline was also fantastic. I caught up on a little sleep while the sun roze then I window gazed. Although it looked good in the snow, to be honest Ukraine is pretty flat and boring. It was interesting to watch how their railways work though- the level crossing operators all stand to attention holding their bright yellow crossing key in front of them so that the driver can see it. I did also notice a lot of very long freight trains. The main negative about this journey was the relatively slow speeds, it's a real trundle, 100mph being the max and even those stretches are short and infrequent, it was a smooth ride though. With no English announcements, I got at 'Lviv' and walked into the town centre for some sightseeing.

The town is more Polish/Austrian (Catholic) than it is Ukranian and subsequently shops and cafes were open despite it being Orthodox Christmas day in Kiev. There were still christmas markets though and ice skating going on in the main square. It's a totally different architecture here compared to the capital, much more European rather than Eastern. After killing a few hours taking in the sights and getting something to eat I headed back to the station to watch goings on there. Lviv is a pleasant place, but there isn't enough there to justify returning.

Back at the station I spent some time observing trains, there was a lot to see:

Ua1.jpg

Ua2.jpg

Ua3.jpg

To be continued...

Iskra

Established Member
Ua4.jpg

UA5.jpg

UA6.jpg

That last carriage is a motorail carriage which I found interesting.

UA7.jpg

I think the above was my highlight seeing that thunder through.

Text commentary continues now after my photographic interlude.

Iskra

Established Member
As soon as the sun disappeared from sight it got cold, really cold. But this wouldn't be a problem as it was not long until my train now. The time came and my train didn't arrive, so I thought it must be late. Ten minutes later I saw my train appear around the bend. As it got closer I got my phone out to take a picture and I thought it was travelling pretty fast.

UA8.jpg

It flew straight through without stopping. I went to the ticket office to see what was happening. Obviously, the lady behind the counter didn't speak a work of English and my Russian is limited. The ticket lady went around the booking hall to find someone who spoke English, luckily she found a young lass, who explained to me that I was at the wrong station. ...I got off here in the morning thinking this was Lviv station, when actually Lviv Central is a few minutes further along the track. Unfortunately for me, my return IC train didn't feature a call at this random other station in Lviv. it was now 5pm in the evening and my options weren't looking good. The stern but helpful ticket lady glared at her computer trying to find me a train back to Kiev that night, while another older Ukrainian lady tried to set me up with my new-found Ukrainian translator. Numerous possibilities were explored ...a train that arrived at 10am tomorrow, a sleeper train (I wasn't bothered what type of train, and if it was an interesting one I would at least be happy on that basis). However, I had booked plans for the day after and 10am in the morning wasn't going to be any good. After much frustration directed from the ticket lady towards her computer, she found me a spare seat in first class on an IC+ train that did call at the station I was at and would get me in at midnight that night. The damage for a pay on the day 1st class 5-hour rail journey in Ukraine? £30. I've made worse mistakes. I still had a couple of hours to wait for this train so I sat and read my book in the booking hall. The ticket lady approached me again, and enlisting the help of some young miscreants who used their phone's to translate, she told me that I had a long time to wait and that I should go get some food. ...No way was I going to leave that station and risk missing another train. When the time came for my train, I ventured out on to the platform and waited. The ticket lady came running out when the train arrived and pretty much corralled me onto the train to make sure I didn't miss it- very kind of her. It was dark so I slept most of the way back then got a taxi back to the hotel.

8/1

Today was the main attraction of my trip. A visit to Chernobyl, Pripyat and the Duga Woodpecker radar station. I'm not going to go into too much detail as it's not really relevant being a rail forum. The tour was provided by SoloEast tours from Kiev and was fantastic. I'll just post a few pics:

duga.jpg

Vast cold war radar station

chernobyl.jpg
The damaged reactor is now covered in a massive metal shell to prevent more radiation escaping and to allow the old shell to be destroyed. The new one should last 100 years.

wheel.jpg
Pripyatpool.jpg

Pripyat again.

Iskra

Established Member
The day after was spent at leisure in Kiev. A couple of rail related items:

Armoured train.jpg

Kiev river front is littered with Soviet materiel, I thought this one was pretty cool.

And I had a quick trip on Kiev metro:

Kiev Metro.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you've had a busy time there! Ukraine looks mildly interesting, certainly I didn't know about Orthodox Christmas either. The markets sounded more interesting than the train to Lviv was, ouch to the issues heading back though!

Chernobyl is a fascinating place, I'd like to see it but equally the idea gives me the shivers!

87electric

I enjoyed reading that interesting trip Iskra. Fukishima next?
Many years ago being a novice with Prague stations it dawned on me I was waiting at the wrong one and ever since I've learnt to research major cities stations beforehand.

Iskra

Established Member
Wow you've had a busy time there! Ukraine looks mildly interesting, certainly I didn't know about Orthodox Christmas either. The markets sounded more interesting than the train to Lviv was, ouch to the issues heading back though!

Chernobyl is a fascinating place, I'd like to see it but equally the idea gives me the shivers!

Ukraine is a very interesting place! And the markets were the best Christmas markets I’ve ever seen! I got off quite lightly to be honest it could have ended a lot worse!

It was fascinating and it is perfectly safe to visit on organised tours, there are lots of rules and you go through radiation control twice on the way out. Background radiation is at fairly normal levels in most of the exclusion zone.

I enjoyed reading that interesting trip Iskra. Fukishima next?
Many years ago being a novice with Prague stations it dawned on me I was waiting at the wrong one and ever since I've learnt to research major cities stations beforehand.

Haha, I’ll not be visiting Fukishima, it was more the history side of things that interested me about Chernobyl rather than the nuclear stuff. The next trip is somewhere totally different and the next foreign trip at the end of the month is also somewhere totally different to this trip.

It was the totally different alphabet that through me, Ive never been caught out before. But, I will be ultra careful in the future now.

Iskra

Established Member
Pathfinder DRS Class 20 Farewell Railtour 18/1/20

A 0300 alarm was adhered to with no issues due to pre-railtour excitement. I then was required to drive from Sheffield down to Bromsgrove near Birmingham. It was quite a nice drive, although my car did something new and told me I was tired after 1hr 20 of driving. Although I disagreed, I stopped at Tamworth services for a coffee and continued with the temperature dropping down to -2 as I reached Bromsgrove. Needless to say, I found a parking spot with ease and after paying the £1.50 required for all day parking I sat in the car as long as possible to stay warm. Bromsgrove is a very modern station with good facilities and a good service, I would definitely use it again.

When the time came I headed out to the frosty platform. Today's railtour had been halted just before the station and on the restart it made a hell of a racket, sounding much like a 68, but it wasn't. It was actually 57002 and 57003 breaching the peace, with a set of MK1's trailing. I'd booked 1st class for this trip as I had a long day and prefer the extra space and comfort on long tours. It was absolutely boiling onboard. There are only two options in terms of heating on MK1's- hot or cold. Being January, I'd thoroughly prepared for cold, even wearing two pairs of socks, I was now hot and over-dressed. Oh well, you win some and you lose some! The guys on my table were sound and made for a good tour. At New Street our carriage filled up and we proceeded onwards to Derby via Tamworth. Still with 57's leading, we were soon onto my first bit of new track- the 'Old Road' that avoids Sheffield and heads past Barrow Hill before rejoining the mainline near Rotherham where we observed LNER MK4's at Booths. It was then via Swinton (South Yorkshire) and the lesser-used route towards York via Pontefract Baghill. There was an excellent turnout of photters just before York, considering this part of the tour was only a couple of 57's. At York the 57's headed-off to make way for the 'main event,' while a big crowd gathered with plenty of 'normals' waiting in the hope of a steam engine appearing.

57s.jpg
Soon I could hear the unmistakeable sound of class 20's, getting slowly louder before 20302 and 20305 edged on to the coaching stock. It was intended that 3 class 20's would be involved, but sadly only 2 were in a condition to run and to be honest; we were lucky to have those 2 as they weren't in good shape after leaf-fall season.

20s.jpg
After York we headed-off Northwards, to Harrogate. It was a pretty slow and underwhelming run in all honesty. We then had a two-hour break in Leeds, where I visited the fantastic Head of Steam pub to enjoy some Timothy Taylors. Being a Leodensian I also directed the other gents on my table to that pub as it is the best pub in close proximity to the station, luckily they enjoyed it too. After I went to the takeaway over the road for a cheeseburger and chips, which didn't fill me up so I followed it with chips and gravy before heading back to the station. As per usual, services were disrupted arriving from the East, which caused the ECS from Neville Hill to be delayed. When it did arrive, the driver let rip while under the canopy filling the station with noise much to the awaiting crowds delight. We departed about 20L heading down my local line to Wakefield Kirkgate, then onto Barnsley and Meadowhall, which was a much more spirited performance from the 20's, we recovered 10mins by not waiting at Horbury junction. I do like this route, it is now surprisingly rural in the post-coal world and it was good to do it on something better than a scruffy Northern Rail 14X/15X. Railtours are rare on this route due to weight restrictions near my local station at Chapeltown. Originally and somewhat optimistically, the tour was supposed to go via Morley, Huddersfield and Penistone but paths were found to be unavailable, this was a slight shame but nothing more really. We passed through Meadowhall non-stop which is very rare from the Barnsley line before an operational stop at Sheffield, where we took the mainline to Derby.

At Derby I was back on to new track as we progressed to Crewe via Uttoxeter and Stoke. It was now completely dark so I can't say much about this line. It was a good run though listening to the 20's with the windows open due to the excessive warmth in the carriage. A further and final loco change took place at Crewe, the 20's leaving us, destined for an unknown fate, to be replaced by 68009.

68.jpg

We had a great run down the WCML to Stafford, with fantastic noise and you really feel like you are thundering down the mainline when you do 100mph on MK1's. At Stafford we took the slower route to Birmingham via Bescot Stadium and then back to Bromsgrove, where I picked up my car and made it home without being told off by it for being tired this time.

So a good tour with 5 winning locomotive, some new track and a fond farewell to the DRS class 20's.

Kite159

Veteran Member
68009 on a little day out away from Chiltern land ;)

Sounded like a nice little tour, I believe I passed it when it was at Stafford when I was heading towards London on a busy Pendo.

I assume the heating was turned off, as I agree it is either hot or cold.

Iskra

Established Member
68009 on a little day out away from Chiltern land ;)

Sounded like a nice little tour, I believe I passed it when it was at Stafford when I was heading towards London on a busy Pendo.

I assume the heating was turned off, as I agree it is either hot or cold.

There were a lot of disappointed Brummies on board!

It went off during daytime but was on when it was dark, the control lever did not seem to affect it, it did what it wanted!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly sounds like a beast of a tour all in!

The 57/0s are a bit of a rare sight these days, especially so on a passenger working, so I can understand the attraction for them. Used to be a common sight in my neck of the woods back in the mid-2000s, even if just on the Wentloog Freightliner trains, and wow I've just realised how long ago that was. Jeepers I feel old suddenly...!

I could hear those 20s just by reading your report, ooh it has been way too long since I heard one with my own ears. The noise under the roof at Leeds must have been absolutely awesome!

Iskra

Established Member
Certainly sounds like a beast of a tour all in!

The 57/0s are a bit of a rare sight these days, especially so on a passenger working, so I can understand the attraction for them. Used to be a common sight in my neck of the woods back in the mid-2000s, even if just on the Wentloog Freightliner trains, and wow I've just realised how long ago that was. Jeepers I feel old suddenly...!

I could hear those 20s just by reading your report, ooh it has been way too long since I heard one with my own ears. The noise under the roof at Leeds must have been absolutely awesome!

57's have never really been a common sight for me, certainly not on freight work where I've lived, so I do appreciate their novelty but they will be around for a while yet I suspect. They are quite thrashy though which I like.

Iskra

Established Member
Some recent travels

I recently turned 30, which justified a special trip, which I will do a brief report on here. There aren't very many trains, but there are some other interesting transport methods.

30/1/20

I flew from Manchester to London Heathrow on a BA A321 Neo, this was my first BA flight for quite a few years and I was very impressed. The aircraft was fantastic, very quiet and smooth and the interior modern, classy and in very good condition. The flight was on a stunning winters morning, making for a great sky.

A321neo.jpg

It was then a fairly routine transfer through Heathrow for my next flight.

This was London Heathrow to Miami on a BA 747. I had been hoping to end up on the daily A380 flight, but I was happy with a 747 for the throwback memories and them probably not being around too much longer compared to the A380. I was in Economy and it was all pretty decent, the legroom was good, food good, bar service excellent and the entertainment good. We took a much more direct route over the Atlantic compared to my previous trips which have tended to skirt Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and then down the Eastern US. The crew very kindly wrote me a birthday card and brought me a bottle of prosecco for my birthday. I had a very enjoyable flight! The flight was busy and had a bit of a party atmosphere going on as it was Superbowl in Miami that weekend.

747 Miami.jpg

The aircraft at Miami, this was the only photo I could get, taken from the inter-terminal shuttle train/monorail.

After clearing customs we picked up our pre-booked private transfer to the hotel. I was very impressed by these as the cars were amazing, made me feel like a minor celeb, and this one reminded me of the FBI cars from Grand Theft Auto.FBI car ed.jpg

There was a bit of an issue at the hotel, the Royal Palm South Beach, Miami. They had lost our reservation. Being Superbowl weekend virtually every hotel was full. The hotel staff quickly provided us with complimentary cocktails whilst they tried to resolve the issue. About 20 minutes later they came back to us and took us to their only spare room. This turned out to be the Ocean View Penthouse Suite, which was a significant upgrade on our original booking and happily recieved. It was amazing and so were the views. We then headed out into Miami, which was also amazing and their was a real party atmosphere going on, we indulged in Cocktails (when in Rome) and some Cuban food (tried it, but won't be doing so again in a hurry).

Miami mexican.jpg
The Mexican quarter in Miami.

Due to jet lag we were up early the next morning so had a good stroll around. Due to the superbowl a lot of the roads had been pedestrianised which made exploring the city a lot easier.

miami strip.jpg

It was then another private transfer to the cruise ship terminal in Fort Lauderdale for the rest of our holiday. I was on a Celebrity Reflection cruise around the Caribbean, taking in Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, St Kitts & Nevis and St Martin/St Maarten. The ship was amazing and the best part was a free bar and all-inclusive food for the duration of the cruise! I will now mainly focus on the transport stuff rather than the holiday stuff.

Setting off towards the Eastern Caribbean we had two full days at sea. There is a lot to do on the cruise ship, but I decided to book a guided, behind the scenes tour of the ship, which was very interesting and something I would highly recommend.

The bridge.jpg

It took in all the main areas of the ship including the bridge and the engine room. The main officer in each area explained everything and answered any questions.

Our first port of call was Antigua, where I awoke to find a Royal Navy Auxiliary vessel parked next to us; RFA Mounts Bay

RFA Mounts bay.jpg

Here, I'd opted to do a historical Island tour. Which took in some old forts, which now make excellent viewing points and Nelson's Dockyard, featured in the picture below:

Nelson's Dockyard.jpg

Our next port was Bridgetown, Barbados, where I managed to get a picture of our ship, the Celebrity Reflection, which as you can see is an absolute beast of a ship:

reflection.jpg

To be continued below...

Iskra

Established Member
In Barbados, I'd opted do something I would probably never get chance to do again. A new mode of transport:

submarine.jpg

This was an amazing trip and absolutely worth doing. The dive took in a wreck and 10,000 fish, the highlight being barracuda and lionfish. On resurfacing, and transferring back to the launch we were duly plied with rum!

wreck.jpg

Our next port was St Lucia, where I went on an island tour. St Lucia is a very beautiful country. The only tranport photo worth sharing was of our tour bus, as it's these little buses that keep all the Caribbean islands moving.

bus.jpg
On St Kitts & Nevis I tried another new mode of transport, this time a catamaran which took us half way around the island. It was another amazing experience, with a free bar and a very chilled out way to travel. Highlights were seeing a sea turtle and lots of flying fish jumping out of the water which were surreal. The catamaran took us half way around the beautiful main island, where we would pick up our next mode of transport.

catamaran.jpg

Next up we picked up the St Kitts Scenic Railway, yes, this report features a train!

st kitts.jpg

The loco is Czech built, the veranda coaches are US built. The islands in the background are the Dutch Antilles. This line is the only railway in the Caribbean and is on an old line used for transporting Sugar Cane. It's an 18 mile narrow gauge railway and the loco travels at 10mph so it's a bit of a slog and it's quite jerky. Again, it comes with a free bar. It's called a scenic railway, it is fairly scenic and it's very different but it's nowhere near the best railway in terms of scenery that I've ever come across. It is however, a very chilled-out and easy way of exploring the interior of a Caribbean island without sitting on a sweaty bus on terrible roads.

On our final island, St Martin I actually stayed on board the ship as I was pretty tired out from the previous 4 days excursions so I enjoyed the quieter ship instead.

After another 2 days at sea it was back to Fort Lauderdale for a transfer to the airport.

747.jpg

It was another 747 for the trip home. The miami airport departure area was filthy and very run down. The positive was that you got a good view of the planes landing and taking off. The flight home was very fast due to a storm but also very bumpy and food wasn't as good as on the way out- who serves curry on a plane? The interior was also adequate but older, with a really old entertainment system and no at seat USB charging points, which was annoying as I'd banked on them being there- the plane out had them! The staff were sound though.

I had quite a wait at Heathrow for the Manchester flight. Again it was an A321neo, a nice aircraft. Due to the storm it was a very bumpy flight and the winds at Manchester were horrendous, making a very interesting approach and causing passengers to be sick. To be fair to the pilot his landing was amazing and there was nothing he could do about the wind. As we touched down, the first thing I saw was the fire brigage parked at the end of the runway 'just in case.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back down to earth now...

I made my normal trip to the football last Saturday, where after a 144 from Chapeltown to Barnsley, I picked up my first class 195 to Leeds. The new stuff has been pretty slow to arrive in the Sheffield area and on the Hallam line. I was very impressed by the 195 though. It is a massive step up from what we've had. Now, we just need to get past the idea of 2-carriage trains being acceptable between Sheffield and Leeds... Progress though!

195.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An incredible holiday, clearly! A belated Happy 30th Birthday too, that was definitely a good way to celebrate it although, I must confess, I was surprised you didn't do the beach at St Maarten. The one that's basically at the end of the runway.

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you for the comments gents. The next report will be about trains, I promise!

An incredible holiday, clearly! A belated Happy 30th Birthday too, that was definitely a good way to celebrate it although, I must confess, I was surprised you didn't do the beach at St Maarten. The one that's basically at the end of the runway.

It was, thank you!

Well, a lot of people from the ship did go to do that, but it's not my idea of a holiday activity to be honest!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thank you for the comments gents. The next report will be about trains, I promise!

I still enjoyed the read, quite I was glad to see that we haven't lost another member of the trip reporting community. It just seems to have almost vanished these days, long gone are the days when I could spend much of an afternoon reading all of the many trip reports :(

It was, thank you!

Well, a lot of people from the ship did go to do that, but it's not my idea of a holiday activity to be honest!

Fair enough, if it's not your idea of fun then fair game. I'd have been off that ship fast, JUST for that beach!

Iskra

Established Member
I still enjoyed the read, quite I was glad to see that we haven't lost another member of the trip reporting community. It just seems to have almost vanished these days, long gone are the days when I could spend much of an afternoon reading all of the many trip reports :(

Fair enough, if it's not your idea of fun then fair game. I'd have been off that ship fast, JUST for that beach!

I'm still here, and I have quite a bit booked in until the end of June- reports will follow. I tend to do less over the football season as that hobby takes up my time. Generally, in Jan/Feb most people are skint so that means less reports, it's also a quiet time on the preservation scene, some folk have switched to other mediums too. Some posters seem to get frustrated that no-one comments (we've all been there), but then don't realise that if they comment on other people's threads, they might get more back.

That airport used to be served by 747's, I might have gone to see one of those, but people I spoke to saw 3 planes in the time they were there and the biggest was comparable in size to a Britten Norman Islander. If I hadn't been off ship on long tours the previous 4 days I might have gone for it. Always good to have an excuse to go back somewhere though... ;)

Iskra

Established Member
Brigg-ing a few gaps 14th & 15th of March

Originally, this was just going to be a one day, one way railtour. Then it occurred to me that the most cost effective way of getting back to my origin point was with a Northern Newspaper offer ranger. But, for only £7 more you can get two days unlimited travel... then I got an early finish from an early shift at work thanks to the virus and things escalated from there, as they do... This gave me an opportunity to cover a line with a very sparse service on a Saturday only, where I very rarely tend to be free to do it. I started from Meadowhall station as it is very convenient for me, has free parking and has a much better service to more destinations than my local station does and a ticket office to sort my weekend rover out. The original plan was to head out towards Hull to clear some needed line, but I quickly found a way that I could complete Plan A, and get the much required Brigg Line in at the same time, although it would be a long day.

1021 (Huddersfield) Meadowhall- Sheffield. Northern class 144.

The train was pretty quiet for the short hop into Sheffield. I'm quite enjoying the novelty of having the last of the pacers on my doorstep.

MH 144.jpg

At Sheffield I got a quick coffee from the Costa conveniently located for the platforms I use most frequently. It was then onto P5 for a service towards Lincoln with still only a vague plan in my head.

1037 (Leeds) Sheffield-Gainsborough Lea Road (Lincoln). Northern 195.

Another 195, I feel like they are multiplying. I like them. At Worksop two interesting young ladies got on and sat opposite me who were extremely open about their student shenanigans and quite funny actually. They ended up trying to convince me to use Coca Cola as a cooking ingredient. It's a mexican thing apparently. Maybe one day... Approaching Gainsborough we were held for around 20 minutes for something to do with a freight train. It was a bit frustrating as we were pretty close to the platforms, but trapped on the train.

At Gainsborough I used my phone to navigate me to Gainsborough Central. The walk was fairly pleasant but a bit eery with not many people being around due to the virus. A bloke peeped his horn at me and waved, I waved back but I had absolutely no idea who he was. The walk started on backstreets but then ended up on public footpaths with a reasonable view out across Gainsborough where Wildebeest could be seen sweeping majestically across the plains. It also afforded good railway views. The walk took about 20mins. I was expecting Gainsborough Central to be in the middle of nowhere and it does indeed seem it at first. Facing the station is what looks like some industrial/office units. These actually form the outer wall of Marshall's Yard, a major retail redevelopment with industrial heritage. So what looks like a sleepy office block on one side, is actually a thriving retail destination on the other, so I went for an explore to kill some time. Once back at the station I persuaded two ladies going for a day out to Scunthorpe (yes, really), to go to Cleethorpes instead as it is easier and cheaper to do so by rail and a bit better than Scunny. I then helped them get a promise to pay. There was still a bit of a wait for the train, but this looks like a station on the up and it now has an hourly service to Sheffield as well as the token Saturday Cleethorpes service.

1259 (Sheffield) Gainsborough Central-Cleethorpes. Northern 144.

Gainsborough 144.jpg

The run out towards the coast was surprisingly scenic and pleasant. The train was actually fairly well used too throughout. A rowdy group of 20 even boarded at Brigg going for a day drinking. The line seems in pretty good condition and the stations are in good nick too. I liked the very old level crossing gates on the line- which are still the manually operated type that you might find on a preserved railway, in fact some preserved railways actually have more modern level crossings! Once we reached Barnetby I was back on to previously covered track. It's quite nice until you get to Grimsby where industrial decay kicks-in bit time, but I find it interesting. Just after Grimsby Town we were treat to some Grade A pacer-squeal, which due to its new rareness, I quite enjoyed, although I think I was the only one who did. I was glad to have cleared the Brigg line, despite being local to me it has been a pain to do as I either work Saturdays, go to the football or have other plans.

Cleethorpes is alright, I only had around an hour so I went to Papa's chippy on the pier which is the best thing about Cleethorpes. It was excellent as always. I then went and had a pint on the station pub which is also very good.

1511 Cleethorpes-Sheffield. Northern 144.

Cleethorpes 144.jpg

It was the same unit all the way back to Sheffield. I used the time to nap, only paying attention for the bit of new track required just after Gainsborough Central.

1757 Sheffield-Brough (Scarborough). Northern 170.

It was now time to fulfil my original plan which would involve doing a triangle move out to Brough to complete some required track on the train after. I new this was going to involve me having to spend time on trains full of drunks out of Leeds later on, but it was a price worth paying. The train was one of the newly refurbished 170's, which I like a lot. I sat in the old 1st class compartment, which regular punters still seem to think is first class so I had it to myself for the entire journey, which was nice and relaxing. The conductor even joked that I was in first class too when checking my ticket. It's a nice little 'upgrade' for those in the know and with 2+1 seating it is worth doing. Darkness soon set in and there wasn't much to be seen.

Brough is not a bad little station. I waited for my next train in the ticket office/waiting room.

1927 (Hull) Brough-Leeds (Halifax). Northern 158.

I've been wanting to try this new service for a while, so this trip gave me the opportunity. The 158 was a nicely refurbished example. After Gilberdyke it was new track as far as the ECML. We then picked up a random delay, arriving into Leeds 15 late.

Leeds station was as usual on a Saturday night, a scene of chaos. Not helped by random train cancellations. My first train to Meadowhall was cancelled. The second one was via Moorthorpe calling all stations so I was able to catch the 3rd train. There was a bit of a farce as the units for both these services were brought in attached and then had to be seperated, which impatient drunk people don't really understand.

2104 Leeds- Meadowhall (Nottingham). Northern 158.

It was a vomit comet with a lot of people behaving in an embarrassing fashion. If I hadn't have been up since 5am or I was drunk myself it might have been tolerable. There were some tourists off cancelled long distance trains on board and I can only imagine what they must have thought of our country based on this journey. I would have avoided all this if the stopper hadn't been cancelled. As per normal, all the idiots got off at Barnsley.

Day 2 is on the way...

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good little day trip to Cleethorpes, other than some delays around Gainsborough & cancellations at the end of the day

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Hi Iskra, good to meet you at the Wakefield meal the other week. I've been enjoying looking at this thread and your many trips, it's certainly getting me through a quiet day at work!

Just a pity that on your post re the railtour to the Stocksbridge branch your pictures don't seem to be displaying any more. It's a line I've long wanted to travel on and I'd be intrigued to see how the Stocksbridge steel works end is looking these days.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Apart from the drunks, and yes I do remember those days of combining trains and beer, it sounds like a rather decent day all in. Definitely a good use of an early finish from work!

I know what you mean about the streets being quiet, the road by my house is usually rammed with traffic but even at peak times it's probably about half as busy. Less parents driving down the road to pick up the kids and drag them into shops I guess, but as today is the first day shops have put limits on groceries it'll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe they'll all go back on the roads now!

Iskra

Established Member
Day Two

Being a Sunday, it was a fairly leisurely start. Unusually there were a pair of 66's TNT in Meadowhall platform 3. They aren't actually cleared for the line North of Meadowhall so can't run beyond there. ...Yes a place where 66's are rare, you've heard it all now.

Meadowhall 66.jpg

0812 (Sheffield) Meadowhall-Doncaster (Hull). Northern 158.

This service was a stopper via Rotherham and it gave excellent views of Booths scrapyard which was interesting. It was a trundle, but you see more detail at low speed, so I quite enjoyed it.

158 Mead.jpg

At Doncaster I grabbed a coffee and a breakfast sandwich from Costa before awaiting the stock for todays tour.

Branchline Society's The Eric & Ernie Railtour

This tour was essentially a rolling stock positioning move from the main tour that took place on the Saturday, which conveyed paying passengers in order to raise additional money for Martin House Hospice. A sequel to the Luca Pezzulo express which I travelled on the year before. It was originally planned for a 56 to haul it, which was the main reason for me booking on as I'd never had a 56 for haulage, but this was abandoned in advance due to unspecified contractual reasons. I was still going to cover a small amount of new line and the new traction would be 47 and a 37 so I was okay with that. It was quite a good value railtour too taking in some interesting lines. Winner 47832 led the stock in to Doncaster and us onwards to York.

47 Donny.jpg
I boarded coach D. It was soon announced that an all day first class upgrade was available for £2. I jumped at the opportunity and relocated to coach G right behind the 37 which would be leading up Copy Pit later in the day, as well as enjoying more space and comfort. The people around me were pretty sound but there was one extremely rowdy table who consumed an excessive amount of alcohol and spoilt things a little further down the carriage. Our route was as follows:

window sticker.jpg

Some of the track between Selby and York was new line for me and covering this duly means I have now completed all the track on the East side of the Pennines served by Northern Rail. I just need to do Northallerton-Eaglescliffe via Yarm and 3 lines on the West Side to complete the North of England now.

Traversing the Harrogate loop was pretty slow and despite hopes of getting the Through Line which was missed by another tour this year, we were unable to travel it due to a pair of units being parked in it. But that's just how things happen on the railway, particularly on a Sunday. We then pulled in to Leeds P9 before winner 37706 lead us out past Midland Road depot down a siding alongside the FL container yard to Hunslet Stn Jn. We reversed again here to take the Whitehall Curve/Leeds avoider which was required for me and reversed again into Whitehall Road Engineers sidings. We then exited, reversed and took the curve again with 37706 leading to Wakefield Kirkgate.

37 Wakey KG.jpg

After Wakefield we took the Horbury Up Goods Line before passing Healey Mills Yard and Mirfield before pausing at Brighouse. The run from Brighouse up Copy Pit was absolutely fantastic, with the driver powering at all the key points to make a good racket. Once we reached the summit we slowed down and lost a lot of time on the way to Preston. We took in the loop just North of Preston and the WCML was good fun, passing Lancaster on the through lines before reaching Carnforth goods loop. We were originally going to enter the station but this plan was abandoned for a surprise loco change. I wasn't complaining as it was winner 37516.

37516.jpg

It was then onto Morecambe with the 47 leading and the 37 taking over at Morecambe for the run to Heysham Harbour. The 37 attracted a lot of interest from the locals as we curved round the infrequently served line. We then repeated the process to get us back to Carnforth station.

37 Heysham.jpg

I had quite a wait at Carnforth for the train home. I tried the Snug on the station but it had closed surprisingly at 1830 on a Sunday. I then went to the station hotel, as did a lot of others where I enjoyed a nice Pint and a good Sunday Roast while I waited. I used to live in Carnforth so it was nice to revisit for a while.

2029 Carnforth-Leeds. Northern 158.

I was expecting a 150, 153 or 144 for this. I was pretty amazed when a refurbished 158 pulled in. This is my first time on a service train across the Bentham Line on anything approaching decent rolling stock! It's a line I like a lot, but it was pitch black of course.

2209 Leeds-Sheffield. Northern 195.

I managed to catch this due to some slight early running. It was a pretty straight forward trip.

All in all, it was a really good weekend getting some faffy bits of line covered that completes the Eastern side of Northern rail and gave me 3 winning locomotives and two good days out. Also notable from my previous Northern Rangers is the massive increase in rolling stock quality on the Northern Network, it seems like it's all starting to come together for them a bit now.