• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

Iskra

Established Member
A good little day trip to Cleethorpes, other than some delays around Gainsborough & cancellations at the end of the day

Thanks Kite, how was your weekend out?

Hi Iskra, good to meet you at the Wakefield meal the other week. I've been enjoying looking at this thread and your many trips, it's certainly getting me through a quiet day at work!

Just a pity that on your post re the railtour to the Stocksbridge branch your pictures don't seem to be displaying any more. It's a line I've long wanted to travel on and I'd be intrigued to see how the Stocksbridge steel works end is looking these days.

Nice to meet you too, I'm glad you are enjoying my reports. Sadly, I lost all of my pictures as the hosting company went under. They are still on my computer so I will see if I can reinstate those ones for you.

Apart from the drunks, and yes I do remember those days of combining trains and beer, it sounds like a rather decent day all in. Definitely a good use of an early finish from work!

I know what you mean about the streets being quiet, the road by my house is usually rammed with traffic but even at peak times it's probably about half as busy. Less parents driving down the road to pick up the kids and drag them into shops I guess, but as today is the first day shops have put limits on groceries it'll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe they'll all go back on the roads now!

It's strange seeing normally busy places quiet. I'm enjoying the generally more peaceful trains though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
My weekend was decent enough, reports should be up later tonight.

You might recognise this sign ;)

Haha, I've seen it once or twice. Hopefully you visited the excellent 'Spoons next to the station. Sadly, the station itself isn't up to much! Looking forward to having a read!

@CaptainHaddock I have now manually reinstated those photo's although they aren't the best as taking photo's from trains isn't easy!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Haha, I've seen it once or twice. Hopefully you visited the excellent 'Spoons next to the station. Sadly, the station itself isn't up to much! Looking forward to having a read!

@CaptainHaddock I have now manually reinstated those photo's although they aren't the best as taking photo's from trains isn't easy!

Sadly due to cancellations & delays I only had a few minutes at the station, next Sheffield stopper had been cancelled (the 144 on Huddersfield - Sheffield services broke down at Meadowhall). I did notice it seemed to take a while for buses to Sheffield

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another enjoyable read, as expected, and clearly an interesting day on that tour. £2 First Class upgrade, wow that is very nice!

Pretty sure I had 37706 on the MNR's Class 37 Golden Jubilee gala. Which I've just realised was quite a few years ago now! It was a monster then so I can imagine the noise you must have enjoyed. A shame the drunks ruined the experience though :(

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like you had an enjoyable tour, other than the group of drunks (you get that on most tours, bringing on lots of booze).

I suspect that is the most people Heysham station has seen for a while!

Iskra

Established Member
Sadly due to cancellations & delays I only had a few minutes at the station, next Sheffield stopper had been cancelled (the 144 on Huddersfield - Sheffield services broke down at Meadowhall). I did notice it seemed to take a while for buses to Sheffield

Yeah, it was those diagram cancellations that affected me later in the day. The buses to the city are indeed circuitous, although one of them is an express I believe. You are much better taking the train and it's not a bad service down to Sheffield.

Another enjoyable read, as expected, and clearly an interesting day on that tour. £2 First Class upgrade, wow that is very nice!

Pretty sure I had 37706 on the MNR's Class 37 Golden Jubilee gala. Which I've just realised was quite a few years ago now! It was a monster then so I can imagine the noise you must have enjoyed. A shame the drunks ruined the experience though :(

Time flies doesn't it! They didn't ruin it, just the atmosphere was a bit unpleasant for the last hour!

Established Member
Some brilliant reading there. Took me a dogs age to get through it, just trying to catch up with everyone's. Had some excellent times away and on the rails some classic and varied traction too.
Thank you for sharing.

Iskra

Established Member
Some brilliant reading there. Took me a dogs age to get through it, just trying to catch up with everyone's. Had some excellent times away and on the rails some classic and varied traction too.
Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for commenting!

- - - - - - - -

Needless to say, things will be a bit quiet from me over the next few months now.

Iskra

Established Member
The Jolly Fisherman 1/8

Originally I was booked on the Branchline Society 'The Jolly Vacman' railtour, due to head to Skegness with a class 50 in May. Obviously, events got in the way and the tour was postponed.

However, a spare summer Saturday presented an opportunity to clear the line to Skegness on a comfy seat, while enjoying the twilight of East Midlands Railway HST traction. This could be the last season of these Summer Saturday workings- with HST traction at keast.

I booked an E-ticket the night before. £27 didn't seem too bad Derby-Skegness return, especially considering you can sit in the very comfortable declassified first class coaches. Due to the Northern temporary timetable, I wasn't able to get to Derby station by train in time for the 0753 departure time, so I had to drive down and park at Derby station. The drive down was quite pleasant, the roads quiet and parking up at Derby station was pain-free. This was my first post-lockdown trip, but apart from wearing a mask on the train it wasn't too different to normal really.

On arriving at Derby I got a quick photo of an XC HST heading Southwards, as you can see the weather was fantastic:

IMG_3566.JPG

On the concourse, the service gets its full title on the Passenger Information Screen:

IMG_3565.JPG

This got me wondering, are there any other standard class only named trains on the network? Answers on a postcard please...

0753 Derby-Skegness. East Midlands Railway HST.

This was my first trip on a HST with East Midlands Railway although it was a legacy set, so an almost identical travel experience to an East Midlands Trains journey. Not even a red power car for me today. The platform got a lot busier than I expected before the train pulled in. I wasn't expecting many passengers with such an early departure time from Derby, but clearly there is demand. It seemed to be a mixture of families and rail enthusiasts. Those 'in the know' went for the first class coaches and I managed to get a seat close to the rear power.

IMG_3570.JPG

I know how strongly we feel about train seats on this forum, so it is worth mentioning that this could well be my last journey on my favourite railway seats. I will dearly miss being gently swayed down the MML while eating a good breakfast- that's definitely one of the better experiences on the rails:

IMG_3572.JPG

After some foolish behaviour on recent Skegness HST services, EMR had deployed an additional 2 First Class Hosts, as well as the Train Manager to patrol the train to ensure everyone behaved themselves. Announcements were made clearly stating that the windows were to be left up at all times and that people were to keep away from them while the train was moving. Everybody did behave themselves anyway, but the EMR staff were spot on, unobtrusively just keeping a friendly eye on things rather than being overly assertive. The main purpose of my trip was to clear the line from the Grantham area to Skegness for route coverage. After getting a good look in the Network Rail yard we made good speed down towards Long Eaton. After which I will have covered a new chord at the junction towards Nottingham. Previously, I've been underwhelmed by Nottingham station but this visit improved my view of it, perhaps it was the sunshine or the long time away from the rails but I seemed to notice a lot more architecture, so I'm now looking forward to alighting there in the future for a better look around. The train got pretty full here. At the DMU depot just after Nottingham I saw the 170 looking very smart in the new EMR livery. There were also a couple of Colas 37's hiding around the back. I was enjoying the rolling hills of Nottinghamshire on this stunning morning, before more new coverage found us on a stretch of jointed track as we prepared to cross under the East Coast Mainline. We seemed to have entered a railway time machine, with more jointed track, semaphore signals and working signal boxes. The HST services are limited stop because of their train length, which knocks a significant chunk of journey time off compared to the Sprinter services (another reason I chose this service) making for an enjoyable run. There isn't much in the way of thrash or high speed running, but it's just a nice sedate trip on a HST through attractive countryside in comfort, and I like that. Skegness station is an interesting one, functional, but long past its heyday and with more platforms than it needs most of the time so some are understandably a little run down.

I'd planned to only stay an hour in Skegness, to avoid the rammed trains back later on in the day. I went to a small cafe that you can see from the station, where I had a large full English and a coffee for £5 which I was happy with. I sat outside in the sunshine and it was a pleasant hour.

Back at the station there was a queuing system in place but it was pretty relaxed and the train was opened for boarding in good time so there was no stampede or anything. I managed another nice seat in declassified first class, but this time on the opposite side. It was worth swapping sides as I got a very different feel from the landscape, as there were a lot more waterways on that side of the train.

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

The rest of the run back was pleasant and equally enjoyable, getting me back into Derby at 1415. I was a bit worried about how I would find rail travel today with the added Covid hysteria, but actually it was all very pleasant and relaxed.

Overall, a very good re-acquaintance trip with rail travel, bagging some new coverage in superior style compared to the normal timetabled rolling stock too in the process. It will be interesting to see if the Jolly Fisherman runs again next year and if so, what stock runs it.

Iskra

Established Member
The Staycation Express 11/8

I've done the last two temporary locomotive services on the S&C (Arriva Northern class 37's circa 2004 and the Tornado services), so this one caught the eye during lockdown. For those who don't know, it's a tourist train comprised of former Greater Anglia first class loco-hauled Mk3's normally top and tailed by class LSL 47's operated by a new brand called Rail Charter Services. A 37 and now (today) a 20 have stood in for one of the class 47's when unavailable. The service runs between Appleby and Skipton three times per day. Ticketing is a bit faffy as you must buy seats in pairs and a little pricey too.

It was a scorcher of a day, but quite hazey and humid. I used the car to get to Chapeltown station in order to get to Skipton.

0915 Chapeltown-Wakefield Kirkgate. Northern 150.

As I arrived at the station Network rail were strimming back some of the vegetation on the approach paths and de-weeding; they must have known I'd opted for shorts today. They were going about their job in a very cheery fashion and did a good job. I normally dislike 150's but this wasn't a bad journey as it was quiet and the cool air from the open windows was enjoyed.

I changed trains at Wakefield Kirkgate in order to meet up with a friend and also to avoid the Castleford diversion. We would then get a train coming from Knottingley that would be direct to Leeds. Due to improvement works, there are no PIS screens on the island platform so we just had to hope for the best.

1007 Wakefield Kirkgate-Leeds. Northern 2x2 car 158.

The first of many trains with defective air con today, although luckily at this point it was't that hot. This train is the new service that runs between Kirkgate and Westgate and then continues onto Leeds on the ECML spur.

At Leeds a GC 180 was spotted, looking out of place. Otherwise it was pretty quiet. My first experiences of the one way system weren't too bad although it did seem pointless with how empty the station was.

1049 Leeds-Skipton (Carlisle). 2x2 car Northern 158's.

And again, the aircon didn't work, making for an uncomfortable journey. At Keighley a number of lesser-spotted pacers were seen hiding in the bushes on the KWVR.

On arrival at Skipton we enquired about the timing of the charter train as it had started the day an hour late due to lightning striking signalling equipment on the Settle-Carlisle line. Then we went to the nearby Morrisons cafe, this was a bit of a disaster as after 40minutes of waiting for our food to arrive we had to leave with empty stomachs. All we'd ordered was 2 meals and it wasn't that busy due to the warm weather. The staff weren't exactly friendly when dealing with my refund request as the food was nearly ready at that point. They didn't seem to understand that we would need some time to eat it and get back to the station. If they'd have told me on entry that there was a wait, we wouldn't have bothered but they didn't and then got funny when I asked for my money back after a 40 minute wait. They had plenty of staff around, but seemingly not doing the right tasks. Won't be visiting a Morrison's cafe again after that experience.

We got back to the station with about a minute to spare before the smart looking but slightly mis-matched-liveried stock pulled in. There was a good crowd on the platform awaiting the service. The carriages were very clean, smart and comfortable inside with everyone well-distanced.

47712 did the work going Northwards. It was a good run with plenty of clag and it was a beautiful day for it. There were a lot of people out and about with cameras. The atmosphere on board was relaxed- you were allowed to remove your mask when seated. There was a trolley service and Settle/Carlisle volunteer guides on board to provide information. Unfortunately, the air con was defective in carriages A&B so it was another warm journey.

At Appleby I got a couple of photo's then we headed appropriately to the Midland Hotel which is near the station, for a pint which was very nice in the beer garden. We only had an hour in Appleby, the other option being 6 hours I think which is too long to spend there. A number of passengers were commenting on this, so perhaps it is something that could be looked at.

The journey back was was led by 47593, which despite a slight hiccup coming off Ribblehead viaduct got the service pretty much back onto schedule at Skipton for the rest of the day.

From Skipton I would be heading to Wakefield for a meal.

1617 Skipton- Leeds. Northern 331.

This was my first ride on a class 331 so that was a bit of a bonus. Even more of a bonus was that it had working aircon!! These are quite nice units inside but it was making a very disconcerting loud banging sound quite frequently.

Heading to P17 at Leeds is now a total joke; you have to complete an elongated full lap of the station. It was 5pm and I would say Leeds was at 20% of its normal passenger capacity.

1709 Leeds-Wakefield Kirkgate. 2x2 car Northern 158.

This train had obviously been parked in 17 for a while shut down so the heat onboard was frankly ridiculous and yet again the aircon didn't work in any carriage. The conductor did come through and unlock all the windows but this doesn't really have any affect until you have been moving for a while. It was actually cooler off the train in the sun and 29 degree heat! Luckily it was a short journey.

2103 Wakefield Kirkgate-Chapeltown. Northern 2 car 158.

Things were cooling down by this point so this journey was okay on a fairly empty train.

Overall a good ride on some comfy Mk3's through nice scenery with two winning locomotive and a bonus new class of train experience. Rail Charter Services seemed a good operation so I would definitely travel with them in the future and I hope their venture succeeds.

Uploading photo's for this report has been a struggle so I am going to post them below in a seperate post :)

Attachments

• IMG_3630.JPG
    IMG_3630.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3645.JPG
    IMG_3645.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 5

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd be more happy to support it if it wasn't booked 47s, or if it ran to/from somewhere more useful for me. Skipton to Appleby with 47s, or something EE if you're lucky, is not appealing enough to spend a fortune travelling up north.

A nice idea, but if as it sounds like from your report you have to pay double for a pair of seats if you're a solo passenger, then they can jog on.

Iskra

Established Member
I'd be more happy to support it if it wasn't booked 47s, or if it ran to/from somewhere more useful for me. Skipton to Appleby with 47s, or something EE if you're lucky, is not appealing enough to spend a fortune travelling up north.

A nice idea, but if as it sounds like from your report you have to pay double for a pair of seats if you're a solo passenger, then they can jog on.

Personally I'm happy to travel on any classic loco haulage that's fairly accessible, so for me it was worth it. I agree that doing Skipton-Carlisle would have made a lot more sense.

Yeah, they do have to have a think about who they are trying to attract but they have eased some restrictions now and done some cheaper fares recently, probably after seeing that the tourist market isn't as big as they expected. Like you say, it's a nice idea but it does need some tweaking I feel if it is to become a more long term thing. It did feel like at first they were trying to put off the enthusiast community, but now have welcomed them after not enough tourists stumped up the cash, in order to fill their trains.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well yeah, the tourists aren't going to fork out X amount of money to get to Skipton (I don't think Leeds to Skipton is super cheap, let alone anywhere outside of West Yorkshire) to then spend money on a tourist train going nowhere exciting. If it had been Leeds to Appleby, it would have been fine, it still takes in some of the stunning scenery. Or Skipton to Carlisle, at least in Carlisle it's easy to access the train from other parts of the world with less difficulty.

I am sorry to say I won't be busting out the money to do this trip. Now if it had featured a beautiful route such as the Oban branch line, and easily accessible from Glasgow (let's say Dumbarton for example) then I'd have ripped the magic plastic out of the drawer and booked tickets VERY quickly!

Iskra

Established Member
Well yeah, the tourists aren't going to fork out X amount of money to get to Skipton (I don't think Leeds to Skipton is super cheap, let alone anywhere outside of West Yorkshire) to then spend money on a tourist train going nowhere exciting. If it had been Leeds to Appleby, it would have been fine, it still takes in some of the stunning scenery. Or Skipton to Carlisle, at least in Carlisle it's easy to access the train from other parts of the world with less difficulty.

I am sorry to say I won't be busting out the money to do this trip. Now if it had featured a beautiful route such as the Oban branch line, and easily accessible from Glasgow (let's say Dumbarton for example) then I'd have ripped the magic plastic out of the drawer and booked tickets VERY quickly!

I agree that something on the line to Oban would be amazing and I think it would be popular due to the sparse timetable on that line and LHCS would be a lot more comfortable than the Scotrail stock.

Iskra

Established Member
Some unexpected motive power saw me return to Rail Charter Services loco-hauled service between Skipton and Appleby today.

I drove to Skipton due to it being quicker and the only train option leaving only ten minutes connection time.

40145 at Skipton:
96EA4BE5-61D7-4F11-9624-2FA1FA162AE1.jpegCDD8A715-11B5-4CED-8273-05117FB116CC.jpeg

Recent dud 47712 led heading towards Appleby. The journey was a slow one as we were stuck behind a delayed Northern service. Nevertheless the Settle Carlisle line was looking as stunning as ever in the late summer sun, with a bit of rain around adding to the atmosphere.

At Appleby, it was straight back onto the train South for me with star of the show 40145 doing the honours. I didn't have time to linger due to it being the start of the football season this afternoon.

Here is a video containing some gentle class 40 thrash at Appleby: https://twitter.com/Iskra1234/status/1304722060216807424?s=20

The run back was faster and there was a big presence of photters along the line plus a lot of hikers waving at us too, it was good to see. At Hellifield we slowed down again, presumably stuck behind a Northern service. On the Southbound run an audio commentary of the route was provided which was interesting.

40145 was a winner for me and it's actually my first run on a class 40 hence the special trip to quickly bag this one.

Thanks again to Rail Charter Services for putting this service on with a number of different and interesting locomotives appearing :)

I will have a full-scale trip planned in for next week, so another update shouldn't be long in the making.

Attachments

• CDD8A715-11B5-4CED-8273-05117FB116CC.jpeg
    CDD8A715-11B5-4CED-8273-05117FB116CC.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

Iskra

Established Member
Wow, that's a bit different! A good bit of 40 action is hard to beat, fair play :D

Agreed’

I wonder how they were in a position to allow this?
The rules were originally applied to public transport I believe, a charter is a grey area so they took that approach. I believe it has since been made clear that you should now wear a mask on charter trains too.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Agreed’

The rules were originally applied to public transport I believe, a charter is a grey area so they took that approach. I believe it has since been made clear that you should now wear a mask on charter trains too.
Interesting. I wasn't being mischievous I genuinely was confused. I hadn't realised also that the trip was a few weeks ago.

Iskra

Established Member
A quick getaway- 17-18 September

I got that yearning for rail travel and I felt a night away was needed, so I booked this quick trip.

0731 Meadowhall-Sheffield. Northern 150.

This train was pretty busy by recent standards and I was left to stand for the short journey into Sheffield.

I had planned to do a bit of work on my laptop while waiting for my next train, but all the lounges at Sheffield were closed, so ended up sat on a bench watching trains for quite some time instead, in the ever-chilly station.

0956 Sheffield-Exeter St Davids XC HST.

It was a stunning day for such a journey, and by midday it was fairly warm too. XC HST's are of course excellent and the journey passed quickly. Everyone was spread out and there was plenty of room due to XC's window seat only policy. Even Birmingham managed to look nice in the sun and there were great views of what I assume are the Malverns.

Sheffield XC HST.jpg
Exeter GWR HST.jpg

There was quite a lot going on at Exeter, including HST Castle sets and Pacer action, both of which now hold significant novelty value for me.

1412 Exeter-St Erth. GWR 802 2x5 car sets.

On my arrival at Exeter this train was showing as on time. Then it was announced that it would be late due to being late from the depot, this seemed fish as RTT had shown it departed on time and remained so until around the Taunton area. The service arrived around 15mins late and onboard it was announced that it was delayed due to a bridge strike. I managed to get a seat in the quiet coach. I actually don't think these are bad units to be honest. Yes, I would rather have a HST but these seem fine to me. It was a great day for the run along the Exe estuary and through Dawlish. Here I could see 3 cruise ships, and on closer inspection one turned out to be the Queen Mary 2. I don't believe I've seen a true ocean liner before so that was cool. The 2 sets divided at Plymouth with just 5 cars continuing over the Tamar, although this was adequate capacity on this occasion. As always I enjoyed the views of the Plymouth dockyard and from the bridges around there, the warships are cool. As usual, entering Cornwall was like entering another railway world, with Semaphore's and quaint country branch lines everywhere. I enjoyed a couple of beers on this stretch that I'd brought with me. It was however, a slightly tense trip as the train was very close to being more than 15mins late but many stations looked to have generous dwells, luckily we arrived at St Erth 16mins late gaining me some delay repay on what was a fairly expensive ticket.

802.jpg

St Erth- St Ives. 2 GWR class 150.

This line would be new coverage for me. It was a well loaded train on such a glorious day and it's a stunning little route.

This was my first visit to St Ives and I was sort of scouting it out for a future trip. It's a nice little place but very touristy, the beach however was amazing. I then partook in some fish and chips, using my anti-seagull defence measures that I learnt at Kingswear. It must be said that Cornish seagulls are pretty lame compared to their wily Devon neighbours. I sat and read the latest James Holland WWII book overlooking the beach on a warm evening, listening to the sound of the sea for a couple of hours before it was time to head off, which was absolute bliss.

st ives.jpg
IMG_3916.JPG

St-Ives-St Erth. As above.

At St Erth, all the facilities had closed so I again took up a bench while I waited for the Night Riviera. It was nice watching the trains come and go, with the added clanging of the Semaphore's.

2155 St Erth-London Paddington. GWR Class 57.

Smart-looking winner 57603 in GWR Green was an impressive sight and sound drawing into the platform; the class 57's certainly know how to make a racket. This was my first time on board since the refurbishment, it was very nicely done. There were many Covid measures in place and it was quite a regimented guest experience, a little too so in my opinion, I felt like I was being checked into a custody suite rather than a sleeper train. The lounge car was out of use, which was understandable, it did look like a marked improvement on the previous incarnation. I did take a sneaky trip to a droplight to have a listen to the 57 pulling away from a station (with only the tiniest gap in the window to listen through) then after that I turned out the lights in my berth, opened the blind and sat and watched rural Cornwall drift by under the stars. When I eventually went to bed, I slept well. The train took the route via Taunton, Bristol Temple Meads, Chippenham and Swindon with an on time arrival at London Paddington. After disembarking I visited the showers on P12 and made my way over to Marylebone on the tube.

IMG_3933.JPG

From Marylebone I took the Chiltern Line to Moor Street, where I walked to new Street. I like to travel the Chiltern Mainline every now and again, it just has a different feel to it and the trains are so civilised for taerted-up commuter trains. Sadly I must have got the diagrams wrong so wasn't on a 68 set, but oh well.

IMG_3935.JPG

From New Street I travelled to Stoke on a very grubby LNWR 350, before getting an EMR 156 to Derby and a 222 from there to Sheffield. Birmingham-Stoke via Wolverhampton and Stoke-Derby were new daylight coverage. What a dire line Birmingham-Wolverhampton is. Stoke-Derby was much nicer however. The EMR 222 was the first I've travelled on in the new livery.IMG_3942.JPG

Overall it was nice to get back to normality and hit the rails hard, I also got some new line, a new loco and had enjoyable sunny travels.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
A quick getaway- 17-18 September

I got that yearning for rail travel and I felt a night away was needed, so I booked this quick trip.

0731 Meadowhall-Sheffield. Northern 150.

This train was pretty busy by recent standards and I was left to stand for the short journey into Sheffield.

I had planned to do a bit of work on my laptop while waiting for my next train, but all the lounges at Sheffield were closed, so ended up sat on a bench watching trains for quite some time instead, in the ever-chilly station.

0956 Sheffield-Exeter St Davids XC HST.

It was a stunning day for such a journey, and by midday it was fairly warm too. XC HST's are of course excellent and the journey passed quickly. Everyone was spread out and there was plenty of room due to XC's window seat only policy. Even Birmingham managed to look nice in the sun and there were great views of what I assume are the Malverns.

View attachment 84049
View attachment 84050

There was quite a lot going on at Exeter, including HST Castle sets and Pacer action, both of which now hold significant novelty value for me.

1412 Exeter-St Erth. GWR 802 2x5 car sets.

On my arrival at Exeter this train was showing as on time. Then it was announced that it would be late due to being late from the depot, this seemed fish as RTT had shown it departed on time and remained so until around the Taunton area. The service arrived around 15mins late and onboard it was announced that it was delayed due to a bridge strike. I managed to get a seat in the quiet coach. I actually don't think these are bad units to be honest. Yes, I would rather have a HST but these seem fine to me. It was a great day for the run along the Exe estuary and through Dawlish. Here I could see 3 cruise ships, and on closer inspection one turned out to be the Queen Mary 2. I don't believe I've seen a true ocean liner before so that was cool. The 2 sets divided at Plymouth with just 5 cars continuing over the Tamar, although this was adequate capacity on this occasion. As always I enjoyed the views of the Plymouth dockyard and from the bridges around there, the warships are cool. As usual, entering Cornwall was like entering another railway world, with Semaphore's and quaint country branch lines everywhere. I enjoyed a couple of beers on this stretch that I'd brought with me. It was however, a slightly tense trip as the train was very close to being more than 15mins late but many stations looked to have generous dwells, luckily we arrived at St Erth 16mins late gaining me some delay repay on what was a fairly expensive ticket.

View attachment 84052

St Erth- St Ives. 2 GWR class 150.

This line would be new coverage for me. It was a well loaded train on such a glorious day and it's a stunning little route.

This was my first visit to St Ives and I was sort of scouting it out for a future trip. It's a nice little place but very touristy, the beach however was amazing. I then partook in some fish and chips, using my anti-seagull defence measures that I learnt at Kingswear. It must be said that Cornish seagulls are pretty lame compared to their wily Devon neighbours. I sat and read the latest James Holland WWII book overlooking the beach on a warm evening, listening to the sound of the sea for a couple of hours before it was time to head off, which was absolute bliss.

View attachment 84053
View attachment 84054

St-Ives-St Erth. As above.

At St Erth, all the facilities had closed so I again took up a bench while I waited for the Night Riviera. It was nice watching the trains come and go, with the added clanging of the Semaphore's.

2155 St Erth-London Paddington. GWR Class 57.

Smart-looking winner 57603 in GWR Green was an impressive sight and sound drawing into the platform; the class 57's certainly know how to make a racket. This was my first time on board since the refurbishment, it was very nicely done. There were many Covid measures in place and it was quite a regimented guest experience, a little too so in my opinion, I felt like I was being checked into a custody suite rather than a sleeper train. The lounge car was out of use, which was understandable, it did look like a marked improvement on the previous incarnation. I did take a sneaky trip to a droplight to have a listen to the 57 pulling away from a station (with only the tiniest gap in the window to listen through) then after that I turned out the lights in my berth, opened the blind and sat and watched rural Cornwall drift by under the stars. When I eventually went to bed, I slept well. The train took the route via Taunton, Bristol Temple Meads, Chippenham and Swindon with an on time arrival at London Paddington. After disembarking I visited the showers on P12 and made my way over to Marylebone on the tube.

View attachment 84056

From Marylebone I took the Chiltern Line to Moor Street, where I walked to new Street. I like to travel the Chiltern Mainline every now and again, it just has a different feel to it and the trains are so civilised for taerted-up commuter trains. Sadly I must have got the diagrams wrong so wasn't on a 68 set, but oh well.

View attachment 84057

From New Street I travelled to Stoke on a very grubby LNWR 350, before getting an EMR 156 to Derby and a 222 from there to Sheffield. Birmingham-Stoke via Wolverhampton and Stoke-Derby were new daylight coverage. What a dire line Birmingham-Wolverhampton is. Stoke-Derby was much nicer however. The EMR 222 was the first I've travelled on in the new livery.View attachment 84058

Overall it was nice to get back to normality and hit the rails hard, I also got some new line, a new loco and had enjoyable sunny travels.
Sounds like a great trip to me! Did you do this as a variety of single tickets?

Iskra

Established Member
Sounds like a great trip to me! Did you do this as a variety of single tickets?

Thank you, yes it was. Pretty much yes, I got a return for the St Ives branch though.

The only expensive ticket was XC Sheffield-St Erth which was about £150, which was why I was happy to get 25% delay repay. I could have probably done it cheaper via London but I wanted HST travel and it's been a while since I travelled the XC/Midland Railway route.
The Night Riviera was £84 which I thought was good considering you get a room and the travel.
London Marylebone-Moor Street was under a tenner.
Birmingham-Sheffield was cheap due to the route I took, about £25 I think.

Obviously it is quite complicated at the moment with having to have reservations on certain trains, and trains running at reduced capacity pushing the prices up.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Think of all the money you probably haven't spent this year by not being able to do many trips, and one or two fairly expensive ones doesn't seem so bad after all.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for the comments gents. Yes @Andy Pacer it has actually been hard to spend money at times this year so I've definitely made some savings!