• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Train

Established Member
I was just browsing through my rather-too-big collection of Railway Modeller back issues and found the March 2022 one - really interesting to see your description of the process there as well as on this thread, even though I've read both a lot!

As an aside, I was sorting out one of the piles and noticed this... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Image shows the spine of a copy of Railway Modeller, mis-spelt.)

Attachments

• 1695508550723-1935205591.jpg
    1695508550723-1935205591.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was just browsing through my rather-too-big collection of Railway Modeller back issues and found the March 2022 one - really interesting to see your description of the process there as well as on this thread, even though I've read both a lot!

As an aside, I was sorting out one of the piles and noticed this... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Image shows the spine of a copy of Railway Modeller, mis-spelt.)

Ah Jume. They’m spellin it wrong in um!

Thank you for your kind comments @Purple Train.

Stafford Show 22nd/23rd September:

Paul and myself took Moors View up to Stafford this weekend, the show was great, probably the biggest one we’ve been to so far, but there was a crash that closed the M5 on the way up so it took twice as long to get there as it should have (six and a half hours in the end). Coming back was much quicker but it was through a massive storm in a high sided van so that was pretty intense too!

People seemed to really loved the layout and I guess we’re starting to know more and more fellow exhibitors now. It was really good actually and the quality of layouts was extremely high.

I must say that it was quite hard work not being able to have a proper break for the two days due to there only being the two of us, but then it was really well organised and you didn’t have to queue for lunch/tea/toilets etc.

All in all a great weekend but I definitely felt quite tired today and both of us have been under quite a bit of pressure for one reason or another recently (me work. Paul work and also trying to get his house sorted out), so we were going into it slightly on the back foot…

I think we put a good show on though and various people kept coming back to have another look. We ran steam going into Hydraulics over the first day and 1980s diesel stuff the next day which worked really well. That’s definitely the way to do it on a two show by the looks of things. Previously we’d tried swapping eras half way through and that was complicated.
1E881888-9BA5-4F1F-8B9F-6F7AC4253E27.jpeg

Definitely need a bigger fiddle yard!

Going back to Lapford. My friend Steve sent me this today and I hadn’t seen it before:

Some great footage of the station and the area from the late 1970s!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah Jume. They’m spellin it wrong in um!

Thank you for your kind comments @Purple Train.

Stafford Show 22nd/23rd September:

Paul and myself took Moors View up to Stafford this weekend, the show was great, probably the biggest one we’ve been to so far, but there was a crash that closed the M5 on the way up so it took twice as long to get there as it should have (six and a half hours in the end). Coming back was much quicker but it was through a massive storm in a high sided van so that was pretty intense too!

People seemed to really loved the layout and I guess we’re starting to know more and more fellow exhibitors now. It was really good actually and the quality of layouts was extremely high.

I must say that it was quite hard work not being able to have a proper break for the two days due to there only being the two of us, but then it was really well organised and you didn’t have to queue for lunch/tea/toilets etc.

All in all a great weekend but I definitely felt quite tired today and both of us have been under quite a bit of pressure for one reason or another recently (me work. Paul work and also trying to get his house sorted out), so we were going into it slightly on the back foot…

I think we put a good show on though and various people kept coming back to have another look. We ran steam going into Hydraulics over the first day and 1980s diesel stuff the next day which worked really well. That’s definitely the way to do it on a two show by the looks of things. Previously we’d tried swapping eras half way through and that was complicated.
View attachment 143509

Definitely need a bigger fiddle yard!

Going back to Lapford. My friend Steve sent me this today and I hadn’t seen it before:

Some great footage of the station and the area from the late 1970s!
I'm glad you enjoyed the show, sorry I couldn't come but I was with you in spirit hoping all went well.

I do hope I get the opportunity to see Lapford one day.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm glad you enjoyed the show, sorry I couldn't come but I was with you in spirit hoping all went well.

I do hope I get the opportunity to see Lapford one day.

Yes I guess Stafford is far from you as it is for us? We’re lucky in that these shows pay for the van hire, fuel, lunch and hotels if they want us to attend. We wouldn’t be able to do it otherwise.

Next stop Warley and we’ve even made it onto the flyer! :lol:

6CB54507-F682-48AC-8D1D-ACB32503AFC6.jpeg

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes I guess Stafford is far from you as it is for us? We’re lucky in that these shows pay for the van hire, fuel, lunch and hotels if they want us to attend. We wouldn’t be able to do it otherwise.

Next stop Warley and we’ve even made it onto the flyer! :lol:

View attachment 143512
High praise indeed, the SECC next??? ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think that’s what we were invited to. It would be a bit of an epic mission for us though. Although we’d love to do it.
Mammoth journey certainly, but I it's sort of among exhibiting royalty so to speak.

Bit like having a painting you've done hung in a major art gallery (if such a thing ever happened of course) :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mammoth journey certainly, but I it's sort of among exhibiting royalty so to speak.

Bit like having a painting you've done hung in a major art gallery (if such a thing ever happened of course) :lol:

We’ve just realised that it’s an invite for the 2025 show (Paul got an email yesterday). I think we’ll try and do it in that case. :)

D1511

Great news! There will be a warm welcome awaiting you in Scotland in 2025! And I'll get an up-close look as well! :D

Class15

On Moderation
Brilliant layout Cowley. Really inspirational for all. A pity I couldn’t make it to Stafford to see it. Next stop Alexandra Palace please!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Brilliant layout Cowley. Really inspirational for all. A pity I couldn’t make it to Stafford to see it. Next stop Alexandra Palace please!

Thanks. Yes we would love to do that show!

So tonight? Well just geeking it out really…

I was looking at my Warship and I couldn’t work out what it was that just didn’t look quite right to me. In the end I realised that there was no yellow line between the windscreens and once I’d seen it, I couldn’t unsee it!

The model:
8657A863-0B73-4498-88D2-3E2BED83ED1D.jpeg

The real thing (actually I’ll come back to this photo):
16E5867D-56EA-4798-B07C-1C4C28B446ED.jpeg

So I masked it up.
9FD43506-1E8A-4DB5-BF65-96B3D0D97210.jpeg

Mixed some paint up and touched it in. It’s only a minor thing but I reckon it’s made quite a difference to how it looks:
00725F02-1D13-4661-A26C-695BE4C8F80E.jpeg

The other thing that’s happened is that my green class 47 body arrived today, so I’ve just made a load of pipes up for the buffer beam and painted them black ready for weathering. I also had to fiddle with the lights a little as I’m using it to swap between chassis at shows depending on the era we’re doing:
072E6FCD-3E2B-4BFF-8B30-B40453C8E029.jpeg

The one thing that’s annoying me is that I can’t change the headcode from a freight service though…

Coming back to the Warship photo. I took these at the Severn Valley on Sunday. It was a day to remind us why we love all these old diesels!

CF4DA4F2-B321-48DF-83AE-6AF79A5A84BF.jpeg

D2592CFB-6AF1-4FD8-A71E-23C7CC8DE81C.jpeg

Edit - That strategically placed fir tree looks a bit odd.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I was looking at my Warship and I couldn’t work out what it was that just didn’t look quite right to me. In the end I realised that there was no yellow line between the windscreens and once I’d seen it, I couldn’t unsee it!

The model:
View attachment 144243

View attachment 144244

So I masked it up.
View attachment 144241

Mixed some paint up and touched it in. It’s only a minor thing but I reckon it’s made quite a difference to how it looks:
View attachment 144242

The other thing that’s happened is that my green class 47 body arrived today, so I’ve just made a load of pipes up for the buffer beam and painted them black ready for weathering. I also had to fiddle with the lights a little as I’m using it to swap between chassis at shows depending on the era we’re doing:
View attachment 144246

The one thing that’s annoying me is that I can’t change the headcode from a freight service though…

Coming back to the Warship photo. I took these at the Severn Valley on Sunday. It was a day to remind us why we love all these old diesels!

View attachment 144247

View attachment 144248

You know, I too thought something was off with the Warship but couldn't place it.

Once you said what it was - yeah, can't unsee it, can you! ;)

That little bit of yellow makes such a difference it's crazy really.

Nice double heading combo, very much liking the Green Brush 4 8-)

I wouldn't worry about the headcode, they did forget to change them on occasion.

Of course here on the superior Scottish Region we just didn't bother mostly beyond the first digit! :E

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wouldn't worry about the headcode, they did forget to change them on occasion.

Of course here on the superior Scottish Region we just didn't bother mostly beyond the first digit! :E

I didn’t know that about the Scottish region?

Peter C

Established Member

The model:
View attachment 144243

View attachment 144244

So I masked it up.
View attachment 144241

View attachment 144242

View attachment 144246

View attachment 144247

View attachment 144248

That Warship does look a lot better now with that yellow line @Cowley (though of course it didn't look bad to begin with!). I'd never have considered doing that, but if I ever get a model of one of those of my own and it has the same omission, I'll be painting it on.

And that 47 looks superb as well - I'm a big fan of the two-tone green. Those photos from the SVR are lovely too! :)

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I didn’t know that about the Scottish region?
If you look at period photos from the late-60s/early 70s on the Scottish Region, where the loco had an alphanumeric indicator mostly they just seemed to use the first digit for train class and left the rest blank. Only intensive suburban services seemed to bother with the rest...

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting to see a bit of colour on the railway! What’s the justification? Or are these more aimed at the show layout? I like the idea of swapping the loco bodies over for more variety with reduced expense :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting to see a bit of colour on the railway! What’s the justification? Or are these more aimed at the show layout?

Yeah all for the show layout really, although the Hymek and Warship are also appropriate for Lapford.

I’d like to get a couple of weathered maroon mk1s to create a mixed train but the prices are ridiculous at the moment!

Edit - @hexagon789

You started something that’s caused me all kinds of problems with this statement… :lol:

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Now then now then now then, I hear that there's an update to be 'ad on this 'ere layout? ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now then now then now then, I hear that there's an update to be 'ad on this 'ere layout? ;)

-Peter

Blimey, sounds like you’ve been watching the TV thingy with Steve Coogan in it Peter. o_O :lol:

Anyway it was further to this post that @Ashley Hill made about the sign made of stones that spelt out LAPFORD on the bank opposite the station. I had a go at making it and it was a bit of a nightmare…

I had to build the bank up first as it wasn’t big enough, which then entailed painting it and blending it in etc. I then cut all the letters out of card and tried to mark lines out where the stones joined (after a small amount of Faulty Towers type behaviour):
6644AEAA-E2AA-4D97-B53E-AE4B65ADD2E7.jpeg

65C270B7-77B4-404F-88A3-513B601BBF21.jpeg

E6D277BC-6325-4A39-9477-9B91D9062019.jpeg

I then stuck them down with glue (quickly before it dried) and then went over it with static grass so that the grass grew between the letters. The results?

Too thick and it looked silly!
6D97200D-2EF7-4CCE-AAA2-D0814B3904D9.jpeg

Back to the chopping board.

This time I snipped a load of tiny slithers of plastikard into strips, then snipped them again into roughly 3mm lengths, dug the first lot of letters up and had another go at laying them out individually. Not easy. Again having to do it quickly so I could get the grass down:
FA6611BC-F1D1-4075-9DB6-16BD95556144.jpeg

36829095-01CF-4132-ABB1-BED1B80C36EF.jpeg

0802D0C6-C60C-4795-85AA-9522738E8127.jpegAgain though, still not sure, although I quite like the last photo through the bridge as it captures this shot a little (and I’m not sure where it actually came from unfortunately):
3426ABA5-A3B4-47E7-B150-C444FBA63C63.jpeg

Yeah. That was a fair amount of my life that I won’t be getting back.

I just don’t really know how to improve on it without pulling more of my hair out unfortunately?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I wonder if there's a continental twin named Alpdorf? :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Blimey, sounds like you’ve been watching the TV thingy with Steve Coogan in it Peter. o_O :lol:

Anyway it was further to this post that @Ashley Hill made about the sign made of stones that spelt out LAPFORD on the bank opposite the station. I had a go at making it and it was a bit of a nightmare…

I had to build the bank up first as it wasn’t big enough, which then entailed painting it and blending it in etc. I then cut all the letters out of card and tried to mark lines out where the stones joined (after a small amount of Faulty Towers type behaviour):
View attachment 145599

View attachment 145597

View attachment 145598

I then stuck them down with glue (quickly before it dried) and then went over it with static grass so that the grass grew between the letters. The results?

View attachment 145601

This time I snipped a load of tiny slithers of plastikard into strips, then snipped them again into roughly 3mm lengths, dug the first lot of letters up and had another go at laying them out individually. Not easy. Again having to do it quickly so I could get the grass down:
View attachment 145602

View attachment 145605

View attachment 145603Again though, still not sure, although I quite like the last photo through the bridge as it captures this shot a little (and I’m not sure where it actually came from unfortunately):
View attachment 145604

I just don’t really know how to improve on it without pulling more of my hair out unfortunately?
I think the second version is an excellent effort - it mimics the prototype photo very well to my eye.

I don't think any further hair-pulling is required! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wonder if there's a continental twin named Alpdorf? :D
That’s good. I was struggling to think of another one!

I think the second version is an excellent effort - it mimics the prototype photo very well to my eye.

I don't think any further hair-pulling is required! ;)
Ok I’ll take that Hexagon. Thanks very much.

That looks super. For those that remember it it’s pretty damn good. Lovely shot of the Skipper and Crediton PW gang.
Thanks AH. I was wondering if that shot was of an initial test run of a Skipper for gauging maybe? I just can’t remember where I got the photo from unfortunately.

In other news. Today I’ve renumbered a couple of my locos, both of which I’d lost a nameplate from (at least once) and finally decided to just renumber them to different locos. So my Railfreight general 47209 Herbert Austin has become 47147 which was a loco I had on a summer Saturday working in Devon in 1988 and my Dutch 33046 Merlin is now 33030, which was actually one of the very few non named Dutch ones surprisingly.
605E5C86-CE99-46B9-A4E5-14A8B6540C87.jpeg

I even did the little numbers on the front and this was after some very helpful advice from @D1511 who (along with some other very useful advice) pointed me in the direction of Railtec Transfers who supply the numbers as a complete set quickly and for a very good price.

Peter C

Established Member
I'll take that - it's better than people thinking I've been listening to too much Max Bygraves... ;)

View attachment 145599

View attachment 145597

View attachment 145598

View attachment 145601

View attachment 145602

View attachment 145605

View attachment 145603Again though, still not sure, although I quite like the last photo through the bridge as it captures this shot a little (and I’m not sure where it actually came from unfortunately):
View attachment 145604

I must admit, I think that looks very good! Unless you actually got some ballast (I suppose it'd have to be OO or a larger scale) and did it that way, you wouldn't be able to get a more realistic result (and the ballast would be unbelievably difficult anyway). That shot with the Pacer is brilliant - I'm always going to be a fan of chocolate and cream!

In other news. Today I’ve renumbered a couple of my locos, both of which I’d lost a nameplate from (at least once) and finally decided to just renumber them to different locos. So my Railfreight general 47209 Herbert Austin has become 47147 which was a loco I had on a summer Saturday working in Devon in 1988 and my Dutch 33046 Merlin is now 33030, which was actually one of the very few non named Dutch ones surprisingly.
View attachment 145608

I even did the little numbers on the front and this was after some very helpful advice from @D1511 who (along with some other very useful advice) pointed me in the direction of Railtec Transfers who supply the numbers as a complete set quickly and for a very good price.
That's a nice touch with the 47. With my models I tried to find ones I'd got some sort of connection to (or at least ones which were close to ones I'd actually seen), and it's good fun to see something like that going round the layout. You've done a good job with those transfers on that 33 - I just wouldn't bother at such a small scale so I envy your skills! I need to resist the urge to get my models out of the cupboard and build another small layout now... :lol:

-Peter

D1511

Great job, sir! Not sure of the value of any tips of mine though, as the first thing I read when my Railtec decals arrived was to NOT use the decal fixing product I mentioned! :D :oops:
However, if you hadn't found the treasure trove that is Railtec's decals site before, then I'm happy to have pointed you to that! I'm about to get busy on some PCAs with my new Blue Circle Cement decals and running numbers this very evening, thanks to Railtec!

I like your Lapford sign too......my suggestion might have also been to use N gauge ballast to emulate the stones (presumably) originally used to make up the letters of the sign, but that would have been uber fiddly and I doubt it would have looked any better than what you've done!