• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks @Iskra. To be honest it was incredibly busy all weekend so unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to have a proper look around. Definitely the busiest one yet.

These were in the rooms right near us which was all I was able to get to.

Blowers Green (0 gauge):
View attachment 122626

This one was opposite and I thought it would appeal to you. I thought I’d taken a photo of the name but it hasn’t come out. Really loved it though:
View attachment 122628

A nice 0 gauge class 60:
View attachment 122625

This is what it looks like around the back of Moors View:
View attachment 122627

This is the cup that they presented Paul for the Visitors Choice award:
View attachment 122624

We didn’t realise what was happening at first. All the staff from the show turned up and then started clapping. :lol:

I was so tired after the weekend though. You really have to be on it, and you also have to answer questions that people are throwing at you, fix problems, keep things running and entertaining etc.

It’s a lot of work and you don’t do it to win prizes but it’s lovely that people like it so much that they voted for it.
That is a nice set of layouts there, and yes Whithorn as correctly guessed by @Gloster does indeed appeal. I’ve had a good read up on that layout now online, and it is very much up my street :)

I also really like the Loadhaul livery on that 60.

Thanks for the insight into operating a layout for the weekend, it does sound quite tiring actually, but bringing home some silverware must have made it worth it!

Peter C

Established Member
Busy times.

We’re at the Taunton model railway show this weekend with Moors View if anyone’s in the area and wants to say hello. :)

View attachment 122431
As ever, a lovely-looking layout. The snow effect is something I can't recall seeing on many other layouts so it's always nice to see!

Thanks @Iskra. To be honest it was incredibly busy all weekend so unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to have a proper look around. Definitely the busiest one yet.

These were in the rooms right near us which was all I was able to get to.

Blowers Green (0 gauge):
View attachment 122626

This one was opposite and I thought it would appeal to you. I thought I’d taken a photo of the name but it hasn’t come out. Really loved it though:
View attachment 122628

A nice 0 gauge class 60:
View attachment 122625

This is what it looks like around the back of Moors View:
View attachment 122627

This is the cup that they presented Paul for the Visitors Choice award:
View attachment 122624

We didn’t realise what was happening at first. All the staff from the show turned up and then started clapping. :lol:

I was so tired after the weekend though. You really have to be on it, and you also have to answer questions that people are throwing at you, fix problems, keep things running and entertaining etc.

It’s a lot of work and you don’t do it to win prizes but it’s lovely that people like it so much that they voted for it.
I've always found O gauge to have a real 'weight' to it, if that makes any sense - you really get the impression that the trains are there, and that they're big heavy things, almost like the real thing. Of course, they are big heavy things so I wouldn't recommend dropping one onto your foot, but they have a real presence to them.
And congratulations to Paul on winning that award - well-deserved, if I may say so. ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening everyone :)

Just a quick one to say that we’ll be exhibiting my friend Paul’s railway Moors View at the Manchester show this weekend (link below).

I wasn’t meant to be doing this one and I’ve ended up stepping in at the last minute due to various boring reasons. I think we’re going to be doing late 1950s steam on Saturday and 1980s diesels on Sunday. So if any of you are attending it’d be nice to say hello, hopefully see you there!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Evening everyone :)

Just a quick one to say that we’ll be exhibiting my friend Paul’s railway Moors View at the Manchester show this weekend (link below).

I wasn’t meant to be doing this one and I’ve ended up stepping in at the last minute due to various boring reasons. I think we’re going to be doing late 1950s steam on Saturday and 1980s diesels on Sunday. So if any of you are attending it’d be nice to say hello, hopefully see you there!

Sounds great, but I'm at work both days :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Manchester model railway show (10th and 11th November).

This is going to be a bit like a trip report… ;)

Had a great weekend up in Manchester. The show was really busy (especially on Saturday) and it was great talking to the punters and other exhibitors. I think there was something like 3000 people through the doors over the two days and the quality of the layouts was extremely high, probably the highest quality that we’ve been to so far at any of the shows we’ve done.

This is how busy it was nearly all of the time:
B3917AF8-8CDE-4B6F-AB8D-3B69E37822AC.jpeg

I took a few photos but I’m not sure which layout is called what, so it’s probably better to just let the pictures do the talking…
21075147-5D99-47AD-9D59-062A4C0C9D19.jpeg

8CCA8EE8-FE85-4845-868F-00473C1FF310.jpeg

F32CAC7E-BAC8-48E0-92BA-4832AA56848C.jpeg

14534BFB-F84D-4297-BCBE-57CBA9CEE233.jpeg

1923D369-84B5-4FEB-8CE2-E98933B0E118.jpeg

97D65859-F220-4F5C-8D7A-D33A8B24127E.jpeg

C9FD6D12-CE1C-41B9-A2BB-1A11B654E321.jpeg

The layout below won the visitors vote this year, we came in second (missing out by only 6 votes apparently). Obviously we don’t do this to win things, but it was really nice that so many people voted for’Moors’ and we had some lovely comments. The families seem to really like it.

The winner, the rather wonderful Welsh Highland Railway: Bron Hebog:
D4B32063-CAB8-429E-85D4-62EC0D61B6EA.jpeg

Other than a bit of a farce with the van hire on Friday, where we were meant to pick up a crew cab van and instead ended up with a car and a normal van (which I drove), everything went really well and we did things differently at this show by running steam on Saturday and diesel on the Sunday. It was definitely more relaxing than trying to swap everything halfway through the day!

There’s a good YouTube video here of the show and Moors View is at the beginning if you haven’t seen it before:

While we were at the show we bumped into Simon George who built the absolutely amazing Heaton Lodge Junction 0 gauge layout (which is here if you’ve not seen that before either: https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/heaton-lodge-junction).

He’s recently gone into supplying 0 gauge Heljan models and I repeatedly went back to his stall to gaze longingly at the various locos he had on display. I’ll give a link to his website because I think his prices are pretty decent when you factor in the fact that he’ll throw in weathering, naming and renumbering for free. I’m seriously tempted to get something from him after Christmas is out the way:
Realism redefined.

On one of my many trips to his stand I took one of my class 33s with me to pose it with its much larger Baby Sulzer cousin…
C9D7A746-08AB-4DFF-BC88-C614E5312FE8.jpeg

I mean just look at it!

@Iskra, @Ash Bridge, @hexagon789, @Strathclyder, @Cheshire Scot, @Mag_seven @GusB (and anyone else terminally effected by dirty 1980s Scottish diesels), what an absolute beauty eh? He sold it within about two hours of opening I think.

Probably for the best really or Christmas would have been cancelled for the family this year. :lol:

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
That 26 is absolutely wonderful. I’ve just sat looking at it for a minute or two and I was transported back to the Kyle line in the early 80s. Incredible

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That 26 is absolutely wonderful. I’ve just sat looking at it for a minute or two and I was transported back to the Kyle line in the early 80s. Incredible

Yeah he’s got that absolute spot on I reckon. So much character.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was intending to visit the Manchester Model Railway show but a combination of true winter weather and my numerous ailments conspired against it. Thanks for those images in your posting.

Glad you liked them. :)

It certainly was quite chilly at the weekend and the hall we were in wasn’t the warmest. Mind you, when we’ve been in more humid environments we’ve had running issues so I think the coolness probably helped us out in a way.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Had a great weekend up in Manchester. The show was really busy (especially on Saturday) and it was great talking to the punters and other exhibitors. I think there was something like 3000 people through the doors over the two days and the quality of the layouts was extremely high, probably the highest quality that we’ve been to so far at any of the shows we’ve done.
I'm glad you had a great time, I've stopped going to my local area show (Cathcart) for a few years now because the quality and indeed number of layouts displayed was becoming quite poor sadly, but not all the smaller shows are suffering from it seems.

I took a few photos but I’m not sure which layout is called what, so it’s probably better to just let the pictures do the talking…
Superb, not a single one there looks anything less than fantastic.

The layout below won the visitors vote this year, we came in second (missing out by only 6 votes apparently). Obviously we don’t do this to win things, but it was really nice that so many people voted for’Moors’ and we had some lovely comments. The families seem to really like it.

The winner, the rather wonderful Welsh Highland Railway: Bron Hebog:
But to not only come second but second by so few votes is a testament in itself. <:D

Bron Hebog looks lovely though, I have to say, hope you'll forgive me for sayijg so but the landscaping on that is amazing.

While we were at the show we bumped into Simon George who built the absolutely amazing Heaton Lodge Junction 0 gauge layout (which is here if you’ve not seen that before either: https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/heaton-lodge-junction).

He’s recently gone into supplying 0 gauge Heljan models and I repeatedly went back to his stall to gaze longingly at the various locos he had on display. I’ll give a link to his website because I think his prices are pretty decent when you factor in the fact that he’ll throw in weathering, naming and renumbering for free. I’m seriously tempted to get something from him after Christmas is out the way:
Realism redefined.

On one of my many trips to his stand I took one of my class 33s with me to pose it with its much larger Baby Sulzer cousin…
I've seen his stuff, possibly someone mentioned him on RMWeb(?), it is excellent - sadly wrong scale :(

I mean just look at it!
I need a drool-catcher... :E

(and anyone else terminally effected by dirty 1980s Scottish diesels), what an absolute beauty eh? He sold it within about two hours of opening I think.
If only it was 00...

Probably for the best really or Christmas would have been cancelled for the family this year. :lol:
Ah, but what about your Christmas? :lol:8-);):)

It is.

I mean I'd prefer a 47 :E, but it's still a Sulzer ;) and I can hardly be picky with such a fine model :)

Yeah he’s got that absolute spot on I reckon. So much character
Fully agreed

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I mean I'd prefer a 47 :E, but it's still a Sulzer ;) and I can hardly be picky with such a fine model :)

Well I think you might like this one then. Not weathered but a very impressive 47636…

34A62E39-0840-454D-B20D-276CF51CB17D.jpeg

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well I think you might like this one then. Not weathered but a very impressive 47636…

View attachment 125266
Sir John de Graeme, one of my all-time favourite 47s :wub:

I think I've posted this photo before, but it's such a good one:

(Bruce Galloway flickr)

A little light weathering and the example in your photo would be spot on. It is a superb model, just needs that weathered touch to make it.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I’m a bit late to the thread here but you took some very nice shots of what looked a very impressive show there Mr C. Can I just ask where the SR waterside layout was supposedly based on? Those 0 gauge locos are simply stunning, if I’m honest I’m probably with Hexagon789 when it comes to 47 versus 26 preferences although I’d be inclined slightly towards the 26 regarding these two specific models. Then again as you suggested with a touch of expertly applied weathering to the 47 opinions could well likely be swayed in its favour.

Iskra

Established Member
It looked a great weekend Cowley and it's good to hear it was a busy one with plenty of interest shown in Howling- that youtube videographer certainly showed the layout well. Some fantastic layouts on display and yes that class 26 looks stunning!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m a bit late to the thread here but you took some very nice shots of what looked a very impressive show there Mr C. Can I just ask where the SR waterside layout was supposedly based on?

That railway is Harlyn Pier Mr Bridge. It’s definitely got something a bit Padstow about it eh?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That railway is Harlyn Pier Mr Bridge. It’s definitely got something a bit Padstow about it eh?

Just needs a cameo scene of a certain TV chef and his dog... ;)

Strathclyder

Established Member

Realism redefined.

View attachment 125248

I mean just look at it!

@Iskra, @Ash Bridge, @hexagon789, @Strathclyder, @Cheshire Scot, @Mag_seven @GusB (and anyone else terminally effected by dirty 1980s Scottish diesels), what an absolute beauty eh? He sold it within about two hours of opening I think.
As late as I am to this, a wonderful selection of layouts and models there, Mr. C. Glad to hear that there was so much interest in Moors' View, not to mention it coming second place (with such a tight margin to boot!) to the utterly stunning Bron Hebog in the visitors' vote.

And as for those 26 & 47 models: should report you to Interpol for posting such filth! ;) In all seriousness, that 26 is weathered to perfection; it looks like it was just plucked off a train from Kyle to Inverness or Oban/Mallaig to Glasgow from the early 80s. An utter stunner all around and I ain't surprised it sold that quickly.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We’re exhibiting Moors View at the Exeter show next weekend so I’ve been through the loco fleet and repaired the odd broken bit, cleaned the wheels, de-fluffed and dusted everything.

I also had a fiddly evening adding pipe work to one end of my new 37 after Monday N gauge group chief weatherer Roly had given it a once over:

0AD9476B-8FCB-4F9F-9E98-F44AEA20E896.jpeg

CE464505-FBB7-422E-84AF-E61A73669A22.jpeg

If you’re coming along to the Exeter model railway show on the weekend of 22nd/23rd July, please do come and say hello. :)

Iskra

Established Member
That 37 looks great, and a pair is always an enjoyable sight. What type of consist are you looking to run them on?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That 37 looks great, and a pair is always an enjoyable sight. What type of consist are you looking to run them on?

Well to be honest @Iskra they’re more likely to get a run out on Moors View really but I’m sure I’ll find something useful for them to do on Lapford. ;)

Iskra

Established Member
Well to be honest @Iskra they’re more likely to get a run out on Moors View really but I’m sure I’ll find something useful for them to do on Lapford. ;)
I meant what will you run them with on Moors View? ;)

Hope you have a great exhibition, and please do share some pictures with us again!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what was the first time that Moors View was exhibited at a Model Railway Exhibition and what year was it?

It seems like a lot has happened because we’ve been to quite a few shows since then but I think it’s first outing was at the Exeter show last year (2022).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think there was a YouTube video of Moors View at that exhibition.

Yes there’s a few on YouTube. Some better than others. :)

We’re meeting up later to rectify any problems, drink tea and move it into position for loading up on Friday (it’s pretty heavy).