• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Bigman

I was wondering if anyone has got any piccies of the completed work yet? Does this mean that the planned use of 6-car 331’s is now a step closer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone has got any piccies of the completed work yet? Does this mean that the planned use of 6-car 331’s is now a step closer?
I don't think the Christmas works had anything to do with the introduction of 6 car 331s to be honest.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My understanding is that there are other works required to allow 6-car workings, along with retesting of (and retraining crews on) the Selective Door Opening system. Then of course hiring some diesels to swap the 4-car units in Yorkshire for the 3-car units on the dark side.

thejuggler

According to Bradford T&A the works now mean 12 minutes between Leeds and Bradford and completed electrification of the Calder Valley line!

MAJOR £161 million upgrade works have been completed at Leeds railway station, which the Government has said will "boost reliability and punctuality" of trains.

The works have been finished at Leeds Station over the festive period, with workers on-site around the clock completing the upgrades.

It caused major disruption over the festive period for people planning on travelling by rail.
The works have resulted in platforms being lengthened, a new Platform 0 built, and a new concourse, modernising the station and allowing longer trains and more services to stop at the station....

Last edited by a moderator:

YorksLad12

Established Member
According to Bradford T&A the works now mean 12 minutes between Leeds and Bradford and completed electrification of the Calder Valley line!

That's from the Dft's release, which also mentions a 'new' concourse. Their definition of 'new' being different to mine ;)

YorksLad12

Established Member
It seems the 'new' hospital definition is leaking through to other departments...
If they get a move on with Rail Alphabet 2 and the GBR branding they could open 2,576 new rail stations by the end of the year. Now that's what I call "world-beating".

Tractor37

I'm guessing the surface car park at the west has some access to the line? The muti-storey has been pretty much full the past week, and it can't be with Twixtmas travellers, so they might have been decanted into there.
That’s rail staff parked in the multi storey upto the 7th when we return to the surface car park once again.

YorksLad12

Established Member
A bit more work coming up at the end of the month:

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 155

johntea

Established Member
I noticed the Evans cycle shop / hub thing has announced it is closing down

Is it so they can knock it down for the pedestrian gateway project?

Iskra

Established Member
Does anyone know what’s going on with the stairwell from the taxi concourse down to the Scarborough Hotel? It’s been closed for ages now but it’s a very useful shortcut.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what’s going on with the stairwell from the taxi concourse down to the Scarborough Hotel? It’s been closed for ages now but it’s a very useful shortcut.
Perhaps the accumulation of tramps wee has damaged the structure of the spiral urinal.

Iskra

Established Member
I thought the opening hours had been limited to avoid this type of thing. It isn't the nicest or accessible of accessways if a useful shortcut
Yes, I could tolerate certain opening hours, but total closure for quite a long period of time now seems draconian. It's gone the way of the Brigg Line! Not the nicest, I agree, but an absolutely vital one to carry me quickly and efficiently to the Head of Steam for a good pint of Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not the nicest, I agree, but an absolutely vital one to carry me quickly and efficiently to the Head of Steam for a good pint of Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker ;)
Seconded. Because it is closed I have to stop for refreshment at the Taps on the long walk back to the station! ;)

HarryL

I noticed the Evans cycle shop / hub thing has announced it is closing down

Is it so they can knock it down for the pedestrian gateway project?
I believe they intend to build the new stairs/public realm there at some point soon yes. I'm not 100% sure when exactly, but if they're closing and getting things out of the way then its a good sign.

Ken H

On Moderation
If you go down into Bishopgate, the basement under the forecourt is from the old pre 1960's Leeds Station. That includes the old stairwell and the place Google Maps says is Shabab Indian Restaurant(May not still be)
This pic (From Leodis (Leeds Libraries site) shows Bishopgate St. The archway of the Queens Hotel to the right. Then you can make out the existing stone retaining wall. The building in front of the trainshed is on the site of Evans Cycles. I assume its basement is the indian restaurant.
Link goes to an image file

_toommm_

Established Member
The assistance cube on the main concourse is boarded up. From what I saw inside it looks like it’s been took out permanently.

skyhigh

Established Member
The assistance cube on the main concourse is boarded up. From what I saw inside it looks like it’s been took out permanently.
It's being replaced with a unit that's fit for purpose. The original one was not.

HarryL

I believe they intend to build the new stairs/public realm there at some point soon yes. I'm not 100% sure when exactly, but if they're closing and getting things out of the way then its a good sign.
Just an update to this, Connecting Leeds has just tweeted out that they're closing roads from the 23rd of may to work on the new public realm, so it's an imminent start. https://twitter.com/ConnectingLeeds/status/1524053595028602881

skyhigh

Established Member
What was wrong with the original one, other than it being a weird shape and distinctly lacking in seating?
A few issues but mainly due to no roof it was an utter pain (and very expensive) to provide limited heating for staff working in it - hence why they moved to one of the ticket office windows a while back. The contractor who installed it is responsible for the replacement costs, it's not being paid for by Northern or NR.

YorksLad12

Established Member
It was always due to close once the Southern Entrance was bedded in but managed to hang on until Covid hit and everythng generally wound down.

Just an update to this, Connecting Leeds has just tweeted out that they're closing roads from the 23rd of may to work on the new public realm, so it's an imminent start. https://twitter.com/ConnectingLeeds/status/1524053595028602881
There's several things happening, not quite in sequence or connected. The narrowing of Bishopsgate Street and installation of a cycle lane is in the Connecting Leeds plan, as is the eventual closure of City Square in front of The Queens. But there's also the full closure of New Station Street, and there will also be work happening on the bridges supporting the roadway. I seem to recall that when Leeds Station Interchange was first being built they discovered that the roadway was resting of the roof of the restaurant!

ASharpe

Two days into the lane closure and I've seen two near misses on the crossing outside the Hilton between cars and pedestrians.

Cars are backing up across the junction and then trying to force their way through pedestrians crossing with the green man.

Leeds isn't a bad station but sadly as big as it is seems overwhelmed at times!

Particularly weekends if there's a footy match on plus the usual weekend crowds it's a nightmare. Then when transpennine cancel a train which has happened a lot lately due to lack of drivers platform 16 gets to near crush capacity it feels like & really not pleasant.

It soon clears but if you're unfortunate enough for a single 185 to turn up its either cram in or wait.

johntea

Established Member
I couldn’t find the exact post that I was looking for but I’m sure someone on here recently asked if Leeds Station closes down overnight

Turns out it now does…I passed through on Saturday evening just after midnight and it was announced several times over the tannoy by an automated voice the station would be closed up at 01:00 (in reality they were actually done and dusted for around 00:45 after KFC had finished off serving a rather sizeable queue due to McDonalds knocking off early!)

Not sure what the status of the TPE overnight airport service is these days, presumably the station would have to remain open if those were running but with TPE being TPE at the moment they’re most probably all cancelled!

matacaster

On Moderation

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I couldn’t find the exact post that I was looking for but I’m sure someone on here recently asked if Leeds Station closes down overnight

Turns out it now does…I passed through on Saturday evening just after midnight and it was announced several times over the tannoy by an automated voice the station would be closed up at 01:00 (in reality they were actually done and dusted for around 00:45 after KFC had finished off serving a rather sizeable queue due to McDonalds knocking off early!)

Not sure what the status of the TPE overnight airport service is these days, presumably the station would have to remain open if those were running but with TPE being TPE at the moment they’re most probably all cancelled!
Is the late night LNER from London not running at the moment? IIRC it arrives/arrived at Leeds at around 0230.