• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lets be glad FGW don't operate in Argentina...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Saw that on the telly earlier; obviously we don't know the whole story behind it but FGW, SWT and all the other TOC's should be glad us Brits are generally quite tolerant and reserved (must be from years of practice with BR!).

mbonwick

Established Member
Not as bad as what I read in the paper today

Somewhere abroad (can't remebmer where), commuters were ordered to push their train aprox. 50 yards so it could pick up power!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
And the TOCs moan when we are fed up with continued delays every single day over here...

Time we did the same as the Argentinians for once and caused a massive riot...Paddington would be an interesting place for a warzone...<D

It's high time we stopped simply complaining to friends and family about delays. Time the TOCs knew exactly how we really feel about their frequently turning trains back early, severe delays without explanation, broken down trains because of dire maintenance...

Dennis

Established Member
Surely the train could have passed at slow speed, say 3-5MPH? Or alternatively, drive up to the bull, rev up and a quick parp on the horn might have shifted it.

OOI, someones got to pay for this delay, who will it be? The farmer for not keeping control of his animals or NR for not securing the railway boundary?

Tom B

Established Member
Surely the train could have passed at slow speed, say 3-5MPH? Or alternatively, drive up to the bull, rev up and a quick parp on the horn might have shifted it.

You know I may be wrong but I seem to remember that being a plotline in a story of Thomas the Tank.

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Back in England, a HST was delayed for two hours by a bull.
Hmmm...I can understand exactly why the driver bought the train to a halt, but even though the strength of the average bull is much greater than that of a human, I don't think even the biggest bull could out-pull an HST! :D

Would it have been safe for the driver to try using the train to gently "nudge" the bull out of the way? I know that this is over 300 ton of train that I'm talking about here, but considering how good HSTs really are, I wouldn't be surprised to find that one could be controlled with such a degree of precision! 8)

And IIRC; Animals on the line are always a problem and source of delay in rural areas even in these modern times...Might we be seeing the reintroduction of "cow catchers" or similar any time in the future?

Sorry...I'm just far too tired tonight... :oops:<D
>> Death <<

Nick W

Established Member
Would it have been safe for the driver to try using the train to gently "nudge" the bull out of the way? I

Doesn't really solve the problem for the other trains that use the line throughout the day.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Doesn't really solve the problem for the other trains that use the line throughout the day.

well obviously you'd report it... you're not going to leave a bull in the middle of the line without reporting it for the next driver in his pacer are you.

Jordy

Established Member
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Quite a funny error actually! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.