• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Likelihood of trainees required at Darlington for Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twice blue

Did we ever get a definitive number on how many people got a start at Darlington? Still hoping to get the call. Seems a while now since interview and assessment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrisdmadd

Did we ever get a definitive number on how many people got a start at Darlington? Still hoping to get the call. Seems a while now since interview and assessment.

Seems to be all internals and qualifieds that are getting taken on.

3 internal trainees and 2 qualifieds in training at the minute. 3 more qualifieds and possibly another 2 internals likely to get courses at later dates so I hear.

It's hard when every guard wants to become a driver with DOO looming and there's so many qualifieds such as freight who need a job due to freight demise.

Twice blue

Oh dear. Not what i wanted to hear whilst at work on a bank holiday! Strange that they spent the money on the assessment days if they weren't looking at taking external candidates on.

chrisdmadd

Oh dear. Not what i wanted to hear whilst at work on a bank holiday! Strange that they spent the money on the assessment days if they weren't looking at taking external candidates on.

If you haven't had a no yet then don't be down about it. They will let you know when your not going to be taken on so no news is always good news.

Just keep your head up and keep trying, your way ahead of most by passing an interview and assessments.

There will certainly be more jobs coming up in the north east over the next 3 years for sure.

Kevied

Yeah I definitely wouldn't lose faith mate, it's took me 3 years and 3 attempts to get here and you've done really well to get to where you are. I'm pretty sure so far the jobs have only been to provide adequate cover for the Darlington depot atm (transfers and retirement), I'm fairly certain more drivers will be taken on once they've committed to the extra services and more places at the training centres become available. Keep your chin up and like Chris says, no news is good news! Still a chance of you getting a place as long as your application stays open on the website

Twice blue

Fingers crossed then. Will give hr a call at the end of the year as my application runs out in February.

Kit.Frank

Thanks for keeping us externals going Kevied and Chris!! Twice Blue... I still haven't heard anything but as has already been said, no news is better than bad news. Staying hopeful!

Cheers everyone

Twice blue

Is that for the internal applicants and ex freight already going through training? Still clinging onto the hope of getting a course this year!

Twice blue

Anyone any idea of upcoming course dates? Just curious to know when we may be contacted if we get that call!

chaser

I was an external applicant. I received a email a couple of weeks ago to say that due to changes in staffing levels there was no longer any positions available. I was kept in file but was told it was unlikely that they would require any more for Darlington so I think that fits what they are recruiting for. A shame that theres no spaces but good luck to all those internals and qualifiers who secured a place. Maybe one day I might have the opportunity to join you.

Last edited:

Kit.Frank

12 drivers needed, 5 internals, 6 qualifieds already in training I'm 99% sure.

So 1 driver's seat left then possibly?! I wonder how many they have waiting 'on hold after successful assessment' besides myself and Twice Blue who could get the place. When I called last HR just said they'd "be in touch". Such a rollercoaster! Keeping hopeful...

Thank you again for the updates everyone

Twice blue

Had a reply from HR after my latest request for an update and it would seem there are no courses for Darlington this year and they are awaiting course place details for 2017. My interview runs out early 2017 so not looking favourable.

Kit.Frank

When did you have your interview? Mine was June. I'm assuming they go 9 months from your DMI date but could be wrong.

Hopefully we'll be assigned to a course very early next year!

Louby

Thanks for the encouragement Louby :)

Trust me I've been there and know plenty more , we sat ours on the 2014 intake , again a massive recruitment drive , but it can only progress in stages due to lack of trainers etc , all will end well , just got to sit tight ( very very hard )

MattB67

Hey guys I applied on 29/05/2016 and it just states "New Submitted Application" any ideas or updates on this? I'm hazarding a guess that this will be out of date!? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Twice blue

I also applied in May 2016 and have been on hold after passing interview and assessment, I was told last week that there is no longer any vacancies coming up at Darlington and I have been taken off on hold. Disappointed to get this far and then got knocked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.