• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines with a strong case for electrification that have no plans to be electrified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I was having a think earlier today about the Manchester Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple to service and how it would be brilliant if it could be operated by an EMU, preferably a 331/1.

The route is 13 mi 27 ch long, only 7 mi 1 ch of which need electrifying and features short gaps between stations and steep inclines, making a fast-accelerating EMU such as a 331 ideal, whereas the incumbent Class 150s need thrashing, making for an unpleasant experience. Also the stops at Gorton, Fairfield and Guide Bridge are already electrified, yet a slow, noisy and inefficient DMU still has to be used.

Despite these benefits of electrifying a mere 7 miles to deliver 13 miles of electric running with few large engineering challenges there seems to be no plans to electrify the route in the near future which made me think, are there any other small electrification schemes that would deliver huge benefits that aren’t in contention to be electrified within the next few years (before the end of the decade)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
195s are perfect for non-electrified urban routes, like 172s. They are quicker off the mark than say 319s. It seems new-Northern has realised this and they do appear on Marples and Rose Hills.

The problem with wiring that route is that you've got the Sheffield locals (the Hope Valley won't be wired any time soon) and so a lot of DMUs under said wires. Of course if Northern had bi-modes as they should... :)

I suspect Metrolink is the way that Rose Hill via Bredbury will get wired in the end, with the other route remaining diesel for the through trains.

But onto your original question...Atherton is another.

stuu

Established Member
The lines through Birmingham Snow Hill really should be on the list. It must be one of the most frequent "metro" routes anywhere run by diesel trains

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The lines through Birmingham Snow Hill really should be on the list. It must be one of the most frequent "metro" routes anywhere run by diesel trains

Agreed, though the Snow Hill lines are a bit odd (perhaps similar to Marple) in that they are decidedly rural by the time they've fanned out a bit. Though doubtless were it Liverpool they'd be part of Merseyrail; they (combined with the Cross City) are sort of Birmingham's Merseyrail anyway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
East West Rail - and it's not even been built yet!

"Diesel islands" are a nuisance operationally even if the line itself doesn't justify it (e.g. St Albans).

CdBrux

I was having a think earlier today about the Manchester Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple to service and how it would be brilliant if it could be operated by an EMU, preferably a 331/1.

The route is 13 mi 27 ch long, only 7 mi 1 ch of which need electrifying and features short gaps between stations and steep inclines, making a fast-accelerating EMU such as a 331 ideal, whereas the incumbent Class 150s need thrashing, making for an unpleasant experience. Also the stops at Gorton, Fairfield and Guide Bridge are already electrified, yet a slow, noisy and inefficient DMU still has to be used.

Despite these benefits of electrifying a mere 7 miles to deliver 13 miles of electric running with few large engineering challenges there seems to be no plans to electrify the route in the near future which made me think, are there any other small electrification schemes that would deliver huge benefits that aren’t in contention to be electrified within the next few years (before the end of the decade)?

As others have said metrolink is the most likely way, otherwise I would think battery might be a contender here

quantinghome

Established Member
Every main line and every commuter line serving a major conurbation which are not yet planned for electrification.

Ken H

On Moderation
Crewe-Chester
Leeds-knaresborough - bimodes for through trains to york.
Sort out power supply in Northumberland so Newcastle - Morpeth/chathill can be EMU.

Snow1964

Established Member
The remainder of Cardiff-Portsmouth would be good bet, not just for passenger trains as it also carries trains to Southampton docks

Its bonkers that sections like Bath-Bristol have upto 4 trains per hour, all diesel worked. Not really compatible with low carbon aim.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Lots of suggestions on this thread

Western 52

Swansea to Cardiff to avoid class 800s running on diesel so many times a day. Also allows a decent Swansea to Bristol TM service to run if the Patchway to Temple Meads line is wired too.

adc82140

Established Member
The Thames Valley branches (I know Bourne End is troublesome in that respect). Then cascade the 165s somewhere useful.

Irascible

Established Member
Bromsgrove-Bristol TM at least. I'd say Bromsgrove-Plymouth, but given half the services through Taunton don't go that way & I suspect couldn't be rerouted that way without stuffing the GWML full, I'm not sure the case would stack up. Bromsgrove-Plymouth plus Newbury-Taunton is suddenly a much bigger project.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Bromsgrove-Bristol TM at least. I'd say Bromsgrove-Plymouth, but given half the services through Taunton don't go that way & I suspect couldn't be rerouted that way without stuffing the GWML full, I'm not sure the case would stack up. Bromsgrove-Plymouth plus Newbury-Taunton is suddenly a much bigger project.
If you want to do Bromsgrove to Plymouth, that still facilitates 87 miles of electric running from Cogload Jn for Paddington to Plymouth and beyond services and crucially provides electric running up and down the steep gradients in Devon.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Sounds perfect for battery trains.

My offering, as ever, is the London Gateway branch.

Irascible

Established Member
If you want to do Bromsgrove to Plymouth, that still facilitates 87 miles of electric running from Cogload Jn for Paddington to Plymouth and beyond services and crucially provides electric running up and down the steep gradients in Devon.

Yes, and if there was any freight left down here it might have a better case still. If it was done, would that leave any gaps in the XC NE-SW route? The case through to Newbury would be a bit weakened by having nearly new trains...

Has the Dudding Hill line been done yet?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
True, it would be useful, but it's difficult to justify on that grounds alone.

Particularly as a large proportion of LNER's units can run on diesel, and you can couple an "EMU" version (one power pack) to a "DEMU" version (3 power packs) and use the resulting 10-car set on a low speed diversion (seen it done).

Avanti don't seem to show interest in diverting that way, only time I've seen it is via Kilmarnock. Indeed, if you're wiring diversions that might be a better case!

The Thames Valley branches (I know Bourne End is troublesome in that respect). Then cascade the 165s somewhere useful.

Yep, this. For Bourne End order a few high-floor Class 399 derivatives (already 25kV capable and able to run on the railway network) with an extra centre section (as they are they're a bit shorter than a 2-car DMU, being about 37m long, so you'd want ones the full length of a 2-car DMU at 46m but laid out with a lot of standing space). These could also be used to Windsor which also has train length constraints if I recall. For everything else use standard Electrostars.

Surely, as they're so short, they could all just be fed from the mainline, so very cheap to do?

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
The problem with wiring that route is that you've got the Sheffield locals (the Hope Valley won't be wired any time soon) and so a lot of DMUs under said wires. Of course if Northern had bi-modes as they should... :)
It would be doable to make the diesel services all fast between Manchester Piccadilly and Marple. It would be tricky with New Mills Central the obvious place to turn back. Unless you raised New Mills Newtown back to 2tph and kept New Mills Central at 1tph.

Status
Not open for further replies.