• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Llangollen Railway appoints receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach4808

This has been coming for quite a few years, largely down to very poor management. the contract engineering side was wound up recently, due to an appalling product. Unfortunately a lot of this railway is tarred with the same brush. Clean sweep needed here, if is not too late.
It's a loco-led railway with little emphasis on marketing; catering only available from station shops, and a Board that recently resigned en-masse over a spat about the pedigree of the station canapy supports at Corwen.

To secure this most scenic of all preserved railways, Llangollen needs an impetus of cash ,and involvement of people in suits rather than overalls....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
It's a loco-led railway with little emphasis on marketing; catering only available from station shops, and a Board that recently resigned en-masse over a spat about the pedigree of the station canapy supports at Corwen.

To secure this most scenic of all preserved railways, Llangollen needs an impetus of cash ,and involvement of people in suits rather than overalls....
Do tell us more!

John Luxton

Established Member
Was it something to do with the canopy supports being new build? I remember reading something about it, but can't recall what the "problem" was!
Did a bit of googling this is the full story

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Britain once fought the "War of Jenkins Ear" LR seems to have had "The War of Corwen's Columns" :D

Though I admit to preferring things GW - I just can't see what the spat was all about as there are many things on the line which are not of GW / BR(WR) heritage anyway and let's face it once the canopy is on who is really going to notice except for critical students of GWR architecture.

John

ABB125

Established Member

Britain once fought the "War of Jenkins Ear" LR seems to have had "The War of Corwen's Columns" :D

Though I admit to preferring things GW - I just can't see what the spat was all about as there are many things on the line which are not of GW / BR(WR) heritage anyway and let's face it once the canopy is on who is really going to notice except for critical students of GWR architecture.

John
Seems more recent than I remember!
Interestingly it doesn't actually say why board members resigned, nor which side of the argument the "personal abuse" was on. Was it board members not liking the (previously agreed) plan to replace the columns, or acting is solidarity with the chairman as a result of the abuse? For me, the article simply raises more questions!

WesternLancer

Established Member

John
I can see why there would be an issue, but it hardly sounds as if they were in a financial positon to be choosy...

swanhill41

There is further action ref the sale of assets of the PLC..A company called Lambert Smith Hampton/LSH is tasked with getting bids on the assets by 22/03/2021.Interesting to see the method of sale ,with very great prominence given to Non Disclosure Agreements!.I have heard a rumour that the full line may not open this year.?

Interesting times.

WesternLancer

Established Member
There is further action ref the sale of assets of the PLC..A company called Lambert Smith Hampton/LSH is tasked with getting bids on the assets by 22/03/2021.Interesting to see the method of sale ,with very great prominence given to Non Disclosure Agreements!.I have heard a rumour that the full line may not open this year.?

Interesting times.
so this then - might it include engineering works equipment?

krus_aragon

Established Member
The non-disclosure agreement (which you're invited to download and sign) says LSH are "seek[ing] a purchaser for the operating and engineering assets"

If the pictures are to be considered as anything, then it looks like all engineering trains and a number of carriages will be up for sale. Even if the trains and other carriages are retained, losing those will make the ability to maintain the railway extremely difficult

Even the trust are saying on the website that they are willing to sell at least one of their trains in order to finance the purchase of the items up for sale

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've seen somewhere that the railway employs 19 people, although whether they're full or part time, I don't know.

Can anyone tell me what jobs all these people have, please? I'd stress that I'm not having a go at the railway, I'm just interested to know.

Thanks.

Master Cutler

Such a sad state of affairs, but without the customers and no income, plus the outstanding bridge repairs for the Dee bridge on the Berwyn approach, sadly the future looks bleak for Llangollen.

John Luxton

Established Member
Such a sad state of affairs, but without the customers and no income, plus the outstanding bridge repairs for the Dee bridge on the Berwyn approach, sadly the future looks bleak for Llangollen.
Wasn't the previous Duke of Westminster who passed away a few years ago a bit of an enthusiast and member or patron of the trust? A shame he is not around the debt at Llangollen would be just small change for him!

Master Cutler

Llangollen have announced on Facebook that several interested parties in the form of local authorities etc are now in discussions with them, so fingers crossed all will be resolved financially.

Llangollen Railway Trust Ltd - Press release 16 March 2021

The directors of Llangollen Railway Trust Ltd have greatly appreciated the extensive and sensitive support of the media when the impending demise of the PLC was announced. The coverage en-gendered much support from the general public for which the directors would like to express their gratitude.

We have also received much support from local MP, Simon Baynes and AM, Mark Isherwood, Denbighshire County Council and Llangollen Town Council, all of which is much appreciated too.

Whilst the PLC will go into administration or liquidation shortly, the Trust remains fully solvent and debt-free, and the directors will be considering the options over the next few days and weeks. The first task is to preserve the line and then to bid for such assets of the PLC as limited resources will permit. Directors and key volunteers are compiling a list of assets they consider essential for the continued running of the railway.

The Trust does own 3 locomotives as well as passenger rolling stock which, together with the Rail-car and Diesel Groups, will be able to operate after regulatory, legal and licensing matters have been resolved.

The assets of the PLC are now effectively available for sale to the highest bidder. Consequently the Trust needs to raise as much money as possible for this purpose in 3 ways:

● Donations - the easiest way to donate is perhaps online at https://llangollenrailway.enthuse.com and click the Donate button, or via our Facebook page. For taxpayers, the Railway can apply for 25% Gift Aid. Alternatively, supporters are invited to send cheques payable to Llangollen Railway Trust Ltd to The Station, Abbey Road, Llangollen LL20 8SN.

Contrary to some comments in social media, every donation will be for the benefit of the Trust.

● Opportunity to acquire heritage assets - by bidding for the assets, such as rolling stock, indi-viduals or groups have a unique opportunity to acquire heritage coaches and other items. It is hoped that, following sale, the items would remain on the Railway.

● Thirdly, the opportunity to purchase one or more of the Trust’s steam locomotives - the Trust does not have the income or resources to own and maintain them. Sale of one or more, if completed quickly, would enable the Trust to be a more competitive bidder for the assets of the PLC. Again, it is hoped that the locomotives would remain on the Railway.

We hope to be able to run trains again later this year but placing a timescale on that would be purely speculative at the moment.

The volunteers building Corwen station have made excellent progress, albeit necessarily slowed by lockdown, and we do anticipate being able to run to Corwen when the Railway reopens.

Shareholders of the PLC are reminded that any annual ticket allocation entitlements and lifetime passes will continue to be honoured. Shareholders would need to join the Trust if they are not members already.

The directors would like to take this opportunity to appeal for members and volunteers to join what is one of the most scenic lines in the heritage movement.

“It is the aim of the directors to refocus the Trust as an outward looking organisation centred on de-livery of a high quality visitor experience, and strengthen partnerships with external agencies to help develop our business plan and articulate what is unique about our railway, its situation and how it complements Llangollen, Corwen and the Dee Valley,” commented chairman, Pete Edwards. “This will require a significant culture change at board level as well as elsewhere, as we look at how we tie in with the cultural life of of the Dee Valley and how we can enhance the events and locations for which Llangollen and the surrounding area are already well known.”

Anyone wishing to contact the Railway, please do so by e-mail at
[email protected] and details will be passed on as appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

swanhill41

I believe that LSH the company tasked with getting bids read the assets of the operating company, have not been overwhelmed with interest,to the degree that
the assets will be scrapped to obtain some cash..No sugar daddy here?

paul1609

Established Member
I believe that LSH the company tasked with getting bids read the assets of the operating company, have not been overwhelmed with interest,to the degree that
the assets will be scrapped to obtain some cash..No sugar daddy here?
Maybe, but its unlikely that any negotiations ongoing would be publicised in the enthusiast press or internet forums anyway, better to wait for an official announcement than speculating imho.

Ianigsy

The NDA may have been an obstacle here - although it might be normal practice for insolvency, it's easier to drum up public support to save a particular loco than for the package. Stock in working order shouldn't be difficult to sell - the issues will be unrestored items and any land and buildings.

swanhill41

I don't think there is any land in the sell off of assets.Think track/buildings was not owned by operating company..Same with buildings I believe.

Ribbleman

The Administrators have decided that bids received to date for PLC assets have been declared null and void. They have announced today that there will be an on site viewing of those assets in Llangollen Station and yard on Sunday 9th and Monday 10th May, to be followed by an online auction on an as yet unspecified date.

John Luxton

Established Member
The Administrators have decided that bids received to date for PLC assets have been declared null and void. They have announced today that there will be an on site viewing of those assets in Llangollen Station and yard on Sunday 9th and Monday 10th May, to be followed by an online auction on an as yet unspecified date.
Just curious as to why they would be considered null and void?

Ribbleman

Just curious as to why they would be considered null and void?
This news is from an official communication from the railway to employees and volunteers. Whilst it does not state the reason for this development I think it reasonable to assume that the Administrators found that the bids were unacceptable, either in number received or in monetary terms. As they are obliged to maximise the proceeds of sale they must feel that an auction is now the best way to do this.

Last edited:

kje7812

As I'm not familiar with the railway, what are the "assets" that will now be auctioned?
Some of the coaches and rolling stock are PLC owned so will be up for grabs. Also some of the engineering equipment from the loco works.
There's been a few questions over some things. Possibly some of the track on the extension towards Corwen is PLC owned.

Master Cutler

Maybe, but its unlikely that any negotiations ongoing would be publicised in the enthusiast press or internet forums anyway, better to wait for an official announcement than speculating imho.
Good point.
Not even members of Llangollen Railway, such as myself have heard anything recently other than what has been posted on social media.
There was some postal correspondence from them early this year but nothing since.

Ribbleman

Good point.
Not even members of Llangollen Railway, such as myself have heard anything recently other than what has been posted on social media.
There was some postal correspondence from them early this year but nothing since.
I expect that news of the auction will shortly be distributed to the wider membership. Understandably, priority has been given to notifying employees and volunteers.

ABB125

Established Member
Some of the coaches and rolling stock are PLC owned so will be up for grabs. Also some of the engineering equipment from the loco works.
There's been a few questions over some things. Possibly some of the track on the extension towards Corwen is PLC owned.
Thanks - doesn't sound too good.

pdeaves

Established Member
This news is from an official communication from the railway to employees and volunteers. Whilst it does not state the reason for this development I think it reasonable to assume that the Administrators found that the bids were unacceptable, either in number received or in monetary terms. As they are obliged to maximise the proceeds of sale they must feel that an auction is now the best way to do this.
Would that be 'null and void', or just 'inadequate' or 'cancelled'? To me, N&V has connotations of some (attempt at) cheating going on. Or is it some financial industry jargon term?

Ianigsy

At a guess, insufficient to cover the administrators’ costs.

There may be a bit of cat and mouse going on here if any interested parties think they might get the assets for less at auction.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Would that be 'null and void', or just 'inadequate' or 'cancelled'? To me, N&V has connotations of some (attempt at) cheating going on. Or is it some financial industry jargon term?
My impression is that they just want to make clear that they're starting all over again with the auction, to avoid an original bidder wading in and saying "hey, I offered X for that and now you've auctioned it off to that person!"

Status
Not open for further replies.