• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER 225 sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

I have been to Leeds and back from Kings Cross this week just for the pleasure of riding in a 225 set, mind you it was in First Class.
IMHO there is no other trainset that comes near to the 225's in First anyway, by far the best way to travel on UK rails.
On Tuesday I heard the 225's are about for another 3 years, yet today a more reliable source told me 3 weeks, anyone know the truth.?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They should be around until additional trains are delivered, however due to indiscriminate and unjustified cuts forced by the Government, there are rumours that they will be withdrawn in April.

Someone mentioned on here that there might be a reprieve for the next timetable period as without them, there wouldn't be the stock to run the service. Don't know how true this is though.

Established Member
I have been to Leeds and back from Kings Cross this week just for the pleasure of riding in a 225 set, mind you it was in First Class.
IMHO there is no other trainset that comes near to the 225's in First anyway, by far the best way to travel on UK rails.
On Tuesday I heard the 225's are about for another 3 years, yet today a more reliable source told me 3 weeks, anyone know the truth.?
Certainly around a lot longer than 3 weeks, but I don’t think anyone other than LNER directors and DFT will know officially for how long.

DanNCL

Established Member
We will know tomorrow whether they’re safe into the summer as reservations open tomorrow.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
We will know tomorrow whether they’re safe into the summer as reservations open tomorrow.

Although that will only tell you at this moment in time what is planned to run on that service. The DfT isn’t immune to requesting late changes.

aem7ac

Aren't the reservations already open? I can book a ticket and reserve seats on services marked as 225s into June.

DanNCL

Established Member
Aren't the reservations already open? I can book a ticket and reserve seats on services marked as 225s into June.
LNER were advertising earlier that it was tomorrow, but if they’re already up then they’re already up!

aem7ac

RTT and LNER booking engine are showing them pathed into the summer. 91110 also returned to traffic this week for the first time since November. Not sure they would spend time and money putting the work into getting it back out if it was to be pulled again in 3 weeks.

DanNCL

Established Member
RTT and LNER booking engine are showing them pathed into the summer. 91110 also returned to traffic this week for the first time since November. Not sure they would spend time and money putting the work into getting it back out if it was to be pulled again in 3 weeks.
RTT shows the timing load not the booked traction. Some Edinburgh services still showed class 91 timing loads on RTT for more than 2 years after 91s stopped running to Scotland.

LNER’s booking engine for anything beyond the May timetable change has the early booking warning, and anything that isn’t entirely LNER isn’t available, but that should change tomorrow.

Established Member
LNER Reservations are currently open until Friday 21st July 2023 (Saturday 20th May – Friday 21st July 2023).

The following dates on Thursday 2nd March 2023:-

Weekdays between Monday 24th July 2023 and Friday 8th September 2023.

Weekends between Saturday 1st July 2023 and Saturday 26th August 2023

Last edited:

They’re diagrammed in the May - Dec ‘23 TT.

Beyond that, I can’t say at this point.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I notice that on weekdays, both the 20:33 and 21:33 KX to Leeds diagrams are down as mk4.

Are either of these more or less likely to run as a mk4 set than the other ?

Dave91131

The 2133 is the final run of the set which starts on the 0715 ex Leeds, this is arguably the most solid 91+mk4 diagram I'd say.

The 2033 is the final run of the set which starts on the 0530 ex Leeds, I find this one to be ripe for Azuma substitution or outright cancellation.

Hope this helps.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 2133 is the final run of the set which starts on the 0715 ex Leeds, this is arguably the most solid 91+mk4 diagram I'd say.

The 2033 is the final run of the set which starts on the 0530 ex Leeds, I find this one to be ripe for Azuma substitution or outright cancellation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this, yes it does help very much. It more or less fits with my experience, however I wanted to sound people out to check it wasn't a fluke !

TreacleMiller

Last I heard was that they are here till the end of the year, rather than just weeks away - which is what we were being told previously.

As said elsewhere, I doubt anyone lower than board level "really" knows the plan. There's some interesting rumours flying around the mess rooms too.

Established Member
Last I heard was that they are here till the end of the year, rather than just weeks away - which is what we were being told previously.

As said elsewhere, I doubt anyone lower than board level "really" knows the plan. There's some interesting rumours flying around the mess rooms too.
If they get rid of the Mk4s, there will either have to be short forms eg 5 vice 10 to cover, or would have to use all the spares units that LNER have each day to cover which then leaves extremely limited cover if units fail

bramling

Veteran Member
If they get rid of the Mk4s, there will either have to be short forms eg 5 vice 10 to cover, or would have to use all the spares units that LNER have each day to cover which then leaves extremely limited cover if units fail

Given the way things are going, presumably increasing the amount of lone 5-car working wouldn’t be something the powers that be would be too bothered about. It’s noticeable there’s already 5-car working on certain West Riding services.

TreacleMiller

Agreed, covers short sometimes as is.

I wonder if the government might be looking to see what rolling stock they end up having by the end of the year and moving stuff around?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is nothing more certain tomorrow than today. As @43094 says they are diagrammed to run during the May-Dec timetable.

But the DfT has a habit of arranging for investment in rolling stock one moment and then withdraw it unexpectedly the next; no-one really knows what the DfT has planned and even the DfT seem to enjoy changing their minds irrationally.

Agreed, covers short sometimes as is.

I wonder if the government might be looking to see what rolling stock they end up having by the end of the year and moving stuff around?
Just a reminder (to anyone thinking of responding) not to stray into speculative territory in this thread; please create a new one (if there isn't one already) or use an existing one (if there is) if anyone wishes to speculate, thanks :)

D365

Veteran Member
There is nothing more certain tomorrow than today. As @43094 says they are diagrammed to run during the May-Dec timetable.

But the DfT has a habit of arranging for investment in rolling stock one moment and then withdraw it unexpectedly the next; no-one really knows what the DfT has planned and even the DfT seem to enjoy changing their minds irrationally.

Just a reminder (to anyone thinking of responding) not to stray into speculative territory in this thread; please create a new one (if there isn't one already) or use an existing one (if there is) if anyone wishes to speculate, thanks :)
Is that not speculative territory in itself? ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is that not speculative territory in itself? ;)
Indeed, if anyone wishes to speculate on what the DfT has planned that belongs elsewhere; I doubt the DfT themselves really know! Until there are any actual updates I don't think there is anything further to add to this thread...

Bayum

Established Member
Haven’t LNER just spent money doing up the MK4 sets though? Why would the DfT be wanting to be rid when money has just been spent on them?

On Moderation
Haven’t LNER just spent money doing up the MK4 sets though? Why would the DfT be wanting to be rid when money has just been spent on them?
Cross-Country are in the middle of a C6 overhaul programme for their HST sets, but they are going. Past expenditure is irrelevant: it’s current and future cost savings that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.