• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER to offer free period products on trains

johntea

Established Member
(Article mentions Harrogate trains but that is just because it is a Harrogate news site)

LNER has become the UK’s first train operator to offer free sanitary products onboard its trains.

The firm, which operates services between Harrogate and London King’s Cross, said in a statement today it will introduce the scheme across its entire fleet.

Passengers can request a ‘package for a friend’ directly from an LNER team member onboard, or by scanning the catering service QR code next to their seat. A team member will then “discreetly” deliver the products to seats, LNER added.

The move comes after a survey, carried out by YouGov on behalf of LNER, found 22% of people have experienced a time when they, or someone they are with, needed sanitary products but could not access them.

LNER said it first introduced the scheme at London King’s Cross station after recognising “everyone should have access to period care products when they need them”, and has now partnered with organic period product company TOTM to expand the delivery.

Very good initiative but (and I'm obviously of the opposite sex so forgive the stupidity!)...why can't they just place the products in the toilets for passengers to use if required rather than having to request a "package for a friend discreetly" which makes it all sound like more like drug dealing than sanitary products!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DoubleO

I would imagine it's because, unfortunately, that method would be open to abuse in various ways.

james_the_xv

I would imagine it's because, unfortunately, that method would be open to abuse in various ways.
A round robin email was sent round an office I work in detailing the change in policy from 'always available' sanitary products in the ladies to 'replenished on the first of each month' due to abuse.

As always, the few ruin it for the many...

CapabilityB

This is a great initiative.

It's always easy to try to find flaws in schemes like this, or to suggest how in an ideal world the scheme could be better.

I'd rather just celebrate the effort, and think about how I can either share knowledge of this programme or encourage other organisations to do similar.

LCC106

Established Member
A positive move but the pic on their ad of handing a sanitary towel over isn’t exactly discreet. I wonder if that’s how it happens in real life or if it’s in a paper bag.

Megafuss

It's a fantastic scheme, but after reading some of the comments on social media, i"m reminded there are still some neanderthals around.

Gwr12345

A positive move but the pic on their ad of handing a sanitary towel over isn’t exactly discreet. I wonder if that’s how it happens in real life or if it’s in a paper bag.
I would assume it's like the rest of their at At seat delivery and in a bag.

Established Member
Purely a picture for marketing, they will be delivered as other delivery’s in an LNER branded paper bag.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Very good initiative but (and I'm obviously of the opposite sex so forgive the stupidity!)...why can't they just place the products in the toilets for passengers to use if required rather than having to request a "package for a friend discreetly" which makes it all sound like more like drug dealing than sanitary products!
Because they will all get taken by someone selfish or flushed down the loo all at once or you risk someone urinating all over them to fulfill some sexual urge (as has happened at a previous workplace, albeit with sinks/dryers and not sanitary products).

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
This does appear to be an idea that’s gaining traction (sorry) in many areas. I’ve recently been on a course at my TOC’s corporate suite, and period products are on offer in the loos there.

Last edited:

TUC

Established Member
I am left wondering how they think women of every previous generation managed without their help.

Established Member
I am left wondering how they think women of every previous generation managed without their help.
Maybe with embarrassment when nature took its course!

This is a good idea for woman, and done in a discreet manner.

If it helps one woman then that is a good thing.

Established Member

Perhaps many of them didn’t manage.

Maybe with embarrassment when nature took its course!

This is a good idea for woman, and done in a discreet manner.

If it helps one woman then that is a good thing.

Agreed. It isn’t something I’ve ever given that much thought to, being male! But “period poverty” is apparently a thing, so it’s good that steps are being taken to help.

ASharpe

I like this sort of thing. My daughter is a fer years off puberty but I'd like to think there will be people helpful and understanding when periods happen. A few jobs ago a (female) colleague told a younger woman on her period that she was part of the reason why women don't get on in engineering or paid as much.

baza585

Good initiative. One just hopes they don't cancel my train if no suitable products are available!

Energy

Established Member
Good scheme, hopefully other operators adopt it.

I would assume it's like the rest of their at At seat delivery and in a bag.
Nice and discreet, and staff will know when they've run out. Just hope they don't get customer orders mixed up!

Ianigsy

A round robin email was sent round an office I work in detailing the change in policy from 'always available' sanitary products in the ladies to 'replenished on the first of each month' due to abuse.

As always, the few ruin it for the many...
On a similar note, I remember reading about a British embassy in a country where contraception was frowned upon, which decided to promote safe sex by having a free supply of condoms in the toilets for both sexes.

The ambassador was shocked when somebody at the Foreign Office took him up on how quickly his staff were going through their allocation, until it was pointed out to him that the locally-hired cleaners could practically double their wages by taking a handful at a time and selling them on the black market.

james_the_xv

I thought we were trying to save millions from the railway budget?
Fun fact, a million quid can buy over 6 million sanitary products at bulk discount. Another fun fact is that a million quid is equal to sweet FA in terms of public sector expenditure.

Established Member
I thought we were trying to save millions from the railway budget?
A company doing some good for people who may actually appreciate, and yet people still feel the need to have a go.

Do people have a go at Morrisons supermarkets for doing the same thing? Do they moan the cost is passed on to the other consumers? No!

Both companies doing something good and positive and actually helpful to people.

DanNCL

Established Member
I’m often quick to criticise LNER and there’s a lot they get wrong but this isn’t one of them. It’s a great idea and one that should be made as widespread as possible.

Obviously as a male I’ll never be able to fully relate to this but I’ve seen for myself that period poverty is widespread, I’ve volunteered at a food bank in the past, period products were given out with food parcels on request and uptake was massive. If advertised well, I’m sure uptake will be significant on LNER too.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I’m often quick to criticise LNER and there’s a lot they get wrong but this isn’t one of them. It’s a great idea and one that should be made as widespread as possible.

Obviously as a male I’ll never be able to fully relate to this but I’ve seen for myself that period poverty is widespread, I’ve volunteered at a food bank in the past, period products were given out with food parcels on request and uptake was massive. If advertised well, I’m sure uptake will be significant on LNER too.

Although if someone is unable to afford sanitary products, then presumably they will be unable to afford to travel on LNER in the first place!

Chrysalis

Although if someone is unable to afford sanitary products, then presumably they will be unable to afford to travel on LNER in the first place!
Well, maybe they've been making do with using toilet paper instead, and they have to use the train to get to work to get some sort of income, and a towel or tampon would be a welcome change? Or maybe it's not even a money issue, maybe their period was early and they forgot to bring their own products?

Established Member
A very judgemental comment!

A lady may not have access to sanitary products for a multitude of reasons!
They may be able to afford to travel on the railway, but have not enough left over money to purchase sanitary products.

However this new scheme is more aimed at ladies who for what ever reason just do have any with them at that moment are in need.

This scheme saves any embarrassment.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Great for women and girls to be able to access essential products when travelling.