• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER to pilot removal of Off-Peak tickets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I think you're mistaken on how close the views of the general public are to the views of people on this forum.

The vast majority of people travelling long distance from London to Newcastle/Edinburgh just on online (probably to Trainline :(), search for their ticket, book it, and pay. They just want a seat, ideally a good value one. They plan and choose a specific train to travel on, and travel on it they do.

The eyes of a member of the general public glaze over when you start talking about a ticket that they can use before 14:59 and after 18:58, except on Fridays when it's 18:15, but if they go from St Pancras Kings Cross rather than Kings Cross St Pancras that's 18:48.

A ticket that you can use on the 19:00, or 70 minutes earlier or later if you have a slight change of plans, though? Now that's easy to understand and use.
For people travelling long-distance, you’re probably correct. People don’t necessarily seek the flexibility of an Anytime or even a Super Off Peak ticket, they just don’t want to be left holding a very expensive yet completely worthless piece of orange cardboard if they get unavoidably delayed.

Although you’re needlessly complicating the restrictions- “you can catch any train after 7 pm”, whilst not strictly accurate in edge cases, is pretty much the rule of thumb and is easily understandable as such.

70-minute flex isn’t enough to materially change any of this though. Just over an hour’s flexibility is really neither here nor there, especially if there is a significant price premium attached. At certain points of the day, 70 minutes’ flexibility would barely be enough to allow you to get the immediately preceding train.

I think even lay people will see that the 70-minute flex ticket is a significant downgrade on the off peak flexible tickets. If it was a fiver more than the Advance then yeah, it’d be a useful product, but we all know it won’t be.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
David Horne calls this "exciting".
David Horne has done more than any other individual to completely trash the East Coast Main Line. He should have been invited to depart along with Stagecoach, as his “reforms” were a significant contribution to the failure of that franchise, but instead he’s still here, still presiding over failure.

Dan G

And if they aren't?
Bad luck for you.

I'm curious, how many people here have had to make a long distance journey with no notice? I can only conceive of having to do it if a distant friend or family was taken dangerously ill (and I have made such a journey). It's unreasonable to design a public transport system around that scenario.

At what price?

Advance tickets increase in price for sooner dates, but I've never seen them higher (or even the same) as a super off-peak.

takno

Established Member
Bad luck for you.

I'm curious, how many people here have had to make a long distance journey with no notice? I can only conceive of having to do it if a distant friend or family was taken dangerously ill (and I have made such a journey). It's unreasonable to design a public transport system around that scenario.
Other possible scenarios include being let down by somebody who was going to give you a lift, missing your planned public transport, short notice job interview, emergency childcare, or just the ability to be faintly spontaneous and not rigidly organised in every single aspect of your life.

Tester

Advance tickets increase in price for sooner dates, but I've never seen them higher (or even the same) as a super off-peak.
Of course you haven't, because the super off-peak acts as an effective cap to advance prices.

Once that has gone.....

Fuzzytop

Twitter isn't the general public, and especially not rail twitter.
This is true. But when you have experts such as Simon Calder and Seat61 writing in newspapers advising passengers to workaround the pilot and find a "better deal" by booking to Haymarket, then the discourse among the general public changes - people jump to the conclusion that rail ticketing is a rip-off (which this fare hike arguably is), and don't even bother looking for fares for their next journey.

I think this is a reasonable argument (even though I vehemently disagree) - that public transport must be booked in advance to avoid punitive fares, and effectively long-distance rail should run like an airline. If you successfully pull this off, you can increase farebox revenue while reducing demand for the busiest trains. But I'd rather LNER be honest with us: these changes are to solve a perceived problem, and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. It feels underhand to advertise this change is "exciting", "simplified" or will "help you to buy cheaper tickets".

D6700

Bad luck for you.

When flying in from abroad, it's very courageous to book advance train tickets forward from the airport. Many years ago, TPE addressed this on their route with "Airport Advance", which had 3 hours+ of flex in case of flight delay. I had to take advantage of this numerous times.

With the removal of off peak and super-off peak tickets, Advance fares will quickly rise beyond those levels. Anytime fares will become the new ceiling for Advance tickets.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It isn't whether you know you are making the trip or not but whether you know what time you will be returning or not. There are many common scenarios where you might know where and when you are going but not what time you will return, including for example the FA Cup Final where you don't know if it will go into extra time and penalties.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Bad luck for you.

I've had to make journeys where I've not known exactly when I've been travelling there or back. Family illness, not knowing what other peoples plans were, not knowing exactly what my plans were. I've also used a long distance off peak to go around engineering works, presumably these glorified advanced purchase (sorry - "flexi" tickets) won't have this flexibility either.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Bad luck for you.

So have I - although my father was considerate enough to die at an off peak time.

But there are plenty of other situations where you have to travel long distance at no notice, or considerably less than twelve weeks, and advance tickets may not be available.
People enter this world as well as leave it with little notice of the exact date.
Other personal business may be at short notice too
  • a funeral,
  • a court appearance (whether as witness or litigant)
  • a job interview,
  • a hospital appointment,
  • providing emergency childcare cover for a relative,
  • travelling to stand in for an actor or musician who is taken ill,
  • attendance or participation in a sporting fixture (the draw for each round of a knock out competition cannot be made until at least the majority of matches in the previous round have been played)
  • eturning home from an airport after a flight
And many events have flexible end times (sporting events running into extra time for example - and watching the clock at a wake - let alone a deathbed - is not good manners either). Not to mention getting home from the airport after a flight. So even if you can confidently know when you are going, you may not know when you will be returning.

Or simply wanting to visit somewhere and deciding on when to do so only once the weather forecast is known.

Shimbleshanks

Isn't this issue of overcrowding rather overstated? I travel a fair bit on long distance routes at different times of the day and week and can't say that I've been on a train where absolutely every last seat was occupied in second class, other than at times of catastrophic disruption (which admittedly is every other time on the East Coast).
Sometimes the first 50-100 miles out of London is a bit cosy in the evening rush hour, but it's never full and standing in my experience.
Or maybe I've just been very lucky?
As a traveller, I'd also much rather have to occasionally stand for a little while than not be able to get on my desired train because the reservation system claims it is full.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This is true. But when you have experts such as Simon Calder and Seat61 writing in newspapers advising passengers to workaround the pilot and find a "better deal" by booking to Haymarket, then the discourse among the general public changes - people jump to the conclusion that rail ticketing is a rip-off (which this fare hike arguably is), and don't even bother looking for fares for their next journey.
...and how long before the DfT orders LNER to add Haymarket to the "trial"?

Turbinate

Can you give a specific example? I’ve never had a problem and have just taken the next train via a reasonable alternative route, after asking the guard. That’s just the same as what you’d do with an anytime ticket, the only difference being you may not need to ask on an anytime.
I’ve been travelling between Leeds & London for hospital treatment. An advance fare outbound is fine but last time I came back, I was at kings Cross at 4pm for the 1850 train, which got cancelled. Problem is, I can‘t predict what time I’m coming back. Fortunately, Leeds - London isn’t affected. Yet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course you haven't, because the super off-peak acts as an effective cap to advance prices.

Once that has gone.....

Exactly.

And when LNER fares double, so will Lumo's. And so will easyJet's. And Megabus's, and NatEx's, and Flix's...

This will make London-Edinburgh travel vastly more expensive for everyone, whether they like walk up travel or not, and whether they fly or go by train or coach.

The only people who will escape entirely are those who drive or those going both ways in the peak (the latter already pay a punitively high fare).

The one way to avoid it is split tickets. Which fortunately are mainstream, thanks to the oft-criticised Trainline. Which site are we going to recommend they buy from now? Not LNER's, that's for sure! (indeed, I wonder will LNER end up undercutting their own overpriced Advances with their own splitting tool? :D )

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It isn't whether you know you are making the trip or not but whether you know what time you will be returning or not. There are many common scenarios where you might know where and when you are going but not what time you will return, including for example the FA Cup Final where you don't know if it will go into extra time and penalties.
I think the idea is that everyone would book a departure a reasonable time after the game is meant to finish; if it goes to penalties then everyone would cram onto the last train within the +70 min window. This is somehow deemed to be better than people booking a flexible fare and not dashing to be within the window.

At least I assume that's what their idea is. Or maybe they want everyone to not book a ticket until the game finishes and for everyone to dash to buy tickets shortly after the final whistle? ;):lol:

Actually, the truth is probably that they haven't thought it through.
I've had to make journeys where I've not known exactly when I've been travelling there or back. Family illness, not knowing what other peoples plans were, not knowing exactly what my plans were. I've also used a long distance off peak to go around engineering works, presumably these glorified advanced purchase (sorry - "flexi" tickets) won't have this flexibility either.
Yep in that case you are considered fair game to be charged a premium. Especially as you don't have a car; what alternative do you have? you are there to be milked and LNER know it.
Isn't this issue of overcrowding rather overstated?
It is, yes. It happens on some occasions and when it does, occasional travellers who are by no means regulars, bombard LNER with tweets about "overbooking". These simpletons are then pandered to, at th expense of the regulars.
I travel a fair bit on long distance routes at different times of the day and week and can't say that I've been on a train where absolutely every last seat was occupied in second class, other than at times of catastrophic disruption (which admittedly is every other time on the East Coast).
Sometimes the first 50-100 miles out of London is a bit cosy in the evening rush hour, but it's never full and standing in my experience.
Or maybe I've just been very lucky?
As a traveller, I'd also much rather have to occasionally stand for a little while than not be able to get on my desired train because the reservation system claims it is full.
People like us are regular travellers so they aren't interested. It's about pandering to the "Ryanair fares are simple; we want that on railways" brigade.
...and how long before the DfT orders LNER to add Haymarket to the "trial"?
It won't be in the trial but if the trial is deemed a success (which could happen even if it's widely disliked) then it would happen then.

The withdrawl of returns took a while but I think the pandemic played a big part in delaying it, so it's difficult to know what the timescale could be.

But don't forget, their roadmap includes abolishing Day products, so they want to include short distance journeys in this too. No more Off Peak Day from York to Doncaster. It'll be Anytime Singles at £21.40 each way, if they get their way. Hopefully Northern will be further behind LNER, enabling us to "distort the market" by paying half the price to get a return to Sheffield, at least for a period of time, until they shut that down...

I’ve been travelling between Leeds & London for hospital treatment. An advance fare outbound is fine but last time I came back, I was at kings Cross at 4pm for the 1850 train, which got cancelled. Problem is, I can‘t predict what time I’m coming back. Fortunately, Leeds - London isn’t affected. Yet.
I think the idea is that you have no idea, then you don't book anything until just before travel. If all the seats are gone then you just have to stump up the Anytime fare.

In the past, the 1850 was valid on an Off Peak fare, but then they abolished that, requiring an Anytime. Waiting until after 1900 no longer helps, as Super Off Peak is going.

But this won't affect you yet, as Leeds to London isn't part of the trial.

For people whose journey is part of the trial, you can wind LNER up by booking with us, which will "distort the market" in LNER-speak!

I don't know about anyone else, but the idea that we are doing something they don't like, only makes me want to do it even more, and spread the word! ;)

• a funeral,
  • a court appearance (whether as witness or litigant)
  • a job interview,
  • a hospital appointment,
  • providing emergency childcare cover for a relative,
  • travelling to stand in for an actor or musician who is taken ill,
  • attendance or participation in a sporting fixture (the draw for each round of a knock out competition cannot be made until at least the majority of matches in the previous round have been played)
  • eturning home from an airport after a flight
All these things are considered premium requirements, which mean you are there to be milked for the Anytime fare. Someone who has to challenge for one of these reasons at short notice is prepared to pay more, and LNER are keen to captialise. In the past, if you travelled outside peak times, they could not capitalise on this as they were constrained by the (Super) Off Peak Fare. They are now able to charge whatever the market rate is, and if you are desperate, they know you will pay more!

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In fairness, that flight has risen to a whopping £99. Still cheaper than a LNER anytime…

But my point remains - for long distance travel, tomorrow is relatively last minute. I’d be happy if the fare went up on the day before to the same as the off peak return providing I was guaranteed a seat (which LNER do, iirc)

Considering only 1/9 of passengers used off peak tickets anyway, it’s fair to say that there’s room to innovate without annoying too many people.
People don't want "innovation" - they want affordable fares. The railway doesn't want to offer affordable, flexible fares to everyone (as is the case in most of continental Europe) because that wouldn't generate as much revenue as the current fare structure. Therefore, any complexity and concomitant "need to innovate" has been caused entirely by the railway. It's quite some cheek to inconvenience and gouge passengers when "fixing" a problem the railway has created!

Abolishing the Off-Peak fare will already have reduced the number of people who are using them (no doubt LNER have selectively quoted figures from after this scandalous change). Abolishing the Super Off-Peak fare is highly problematic even if few people buy it; it serves as a cap to what LNER can charge for Advances. With that cap removed, they can (and no doubt will) charge much higher amounts, now only being capped by the Anytime fare.

Good morning people, I woke up this morning to notice that LNER were withdrawing off-peak tickets, I’m assuming advance singles are not a part of this so can travel with one after the 5th of feb in formerly off-peak times (not an off peak ticket, an advance) and it won’t be invalidView attachment 150575 (Ticket type attached…)
There is no change to Advance tickets and in any event these changes have no effect on tickets already bought. Your ticket remains valid.

One of the very big question marks re this plan is the extent to which there will be (very) short notice availability of Advances and Semi-Flex 70 tickets when trains are busy - specifically thinking about the non-peak periods when off-peak walk-up tickets are currently valid.

I'm guessing Advance and Semi-Flex 70 tickets will only be sold with stay reservations - if so, once all seats allocated to those ticket types are taken, no more such tickets will be sold.

LNER do state they are committed to a walk-up railway, but if the only fundamental guarantee of this is through an Anytime ticket then it's going to be an expensive walk-up railway.
LNER have the cheek to claim that they are maintaining a walk-up railway - because they're keeping Anytime fares available. When that's the calibre of argument you're dealing with it's hard to take them seriously.

Is this so-called 'trial' the thin end of a national wedge? Won't its alleged success be used to justify roll-out on not only all LNER journeys but also other routes and operators where Advance tickets are available?
Sadly, I fear that's exactly what will happen :|

Typhoon

Established Member
I come to this as someone whose interest in the railways is merely a way to get from place A to place B (and back). I travel mainly for leisure, most frequently on SouthEastern, occasionally others, LNER never (so far). I, very occasionally, have to travel a distance - involving bus (to the station), train, travel across London, train, train, bus (to destination). The 70 min flex seems an interesting idea as I once missed a connection (middle train) because of an overrunning meeting, and they don't overrun by more than a short time otherwise the speaker will be talking to empty seats' they occasionally under-run.

Although I have some idea of ticket 'rules' (for instance, which trains I can use off-peak on - sometimes better than on-board staff), this is very specific to my locality so I count myself as the sort of casual traveller that the Railways would like to travel more often.

The points that follow may have been answered in the thread, but are the type of points that the likes of me, having purchased a 70 min flex, turning up at the station, won't know.

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but miss it, next one is timetabled at 13:00 but delayed to 13:30, can I catch it?

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but miss it, next one is timetabled at 13:00 but cancelled, can I catch the 14:00?

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but it is cancelled, next one is timetabled at 13:00 but delayed to 13:30, can I catch it?

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but turn up at 11:00 to see the delayed 10:00 pulling in, can I catch it?

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but catch the 11:00, which is subsequently delayed, can I claim 'Delay, Repay'?

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but turn up early, can I catch the 11:30 to an intermediate station from which I can travel onward?

In the case of the fourth question, many passengers see the destination not the time.

OK, these won't be regular situations, but each one may lead to 'disagreement' between a passenger and Railway staff (not DfT staff or LNER managers of course). I was once part of sch a disagreement even though I carry a print out of my itinerary, they are not pleasant (I would guess from either party's point of view).

As was said way back in #2
How's that less complicated?
Just saying something is simpler doesn't make it simpler.

Someone up-thread related it to airline travel - the difference being that tickets are checked before boarding a plane. I may be wrong here, but in a great many stations a ticket successfully scanned at the gateline merely means that it is valid for travel, not necessarily valid for travel just on the train immediately in front of the gate used. (May not be true of Kings Cross

And how you extend it, I have no idea.

superkopite

It won't be in the trial but if the trial is deemed a success (which could happen even if it's widely disliked) then it would happen then.
I can see a world where "because of the number of passengers circumventing the spirit of the rules and finding workarounds, it is becoming increasingly difficult to assess the success of the trial, as such, we have no choice but to add further routes into the trial so that we have a clear and positive outcome for customers"

superkopite

Precisely. To be fair, London to Edinburgh is a bit far to drive in one go for me at least, but most of the other journeys LNER offer aren't.
It is a little far in one go, but, if there are two drivers, more than doable, and massive cost savings

Fuzzytop

The points that follow may have been answered in the thread, but are the type of points that the likes of me, having purchased a 70 min flex, turning up at the station, won't know.
To say these new 70-minute tickets are supposed to be "simple", they seem to be causing confusion.

On Twitter too ...
https://twitter.com/ChrisDSmyth/status/1747584652305408193 said:
Let's say I have an "advance with insurance" ticket for 17:45 but meeting runs late and I arrive for the 18:45. If that service is cancelled are you saying I am screwed?
LNER reply to say that he'd need to purchase a new ticket. (In fairness, I don't think they understood him.)

His times are hypothetical, of course, but, say, a passenger with a 70min Flex for King's Cross to Berwick purchased for the 1700 decides to flex and travel on the 1800, only for it to be cancelled. Surely that passenger would then be entitled to travel on the 1900, but evidently that's not particularly clear?

Cynically, these new 70min Flex tickets might appeal to Advance ticket-holders who are unaware of their rights should their booked train get cancelled.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can see a world where "because of the number of passengers circumventing the spirit of the rules and finding workarounds, it is becoming increasingly difficult to assess the success of the trial, as such, we have no choice but to add further routes into the trial so that we have a clear and positive outcome for customers"

I can see them rolling it out for any flow that takes the fare from London-Edinburgh etc (i.e. removing the obvious Haymarket/Manors workarounds) and asking Avanti to put "route Preston" or "route Carlisle" on their Glasgow-Euston tickets which are presently valid via Edinburgh. I can't see them applying it to all LNER routes quite yet, though Leeds is a possibility if they want to try a shorter distance one and was indeed used for the single fare pricing trial.

I'm not sure if it's been said in here already, but LNER have set up a form where you can leave comments about either the new ticket type, or the removal of the old ticket type. Slightly hidden about half way down the page in a drop down menu here:

A link to LNERs simpler fares website, which contains information about the different tickets, and a comment box.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cynically, these new 70min Flex tickets might appeal to Advance ticket-holders who are unaware of their rights should their booked train get cancelled.

Also to people who often miss trains. It's in effect a £20ish insurance policy against missing the train for Advance users.

I don't fundamentally object to that idea, it might be useful for those relying on buses to reach the station.

It should not however replace the Super Off Peak fare.

I'm not sure if it's been said in here already, but LNER have set up a form where you can leave comments about either the new ticket type, or the removal of the old ticket type. Slightly hidden about half way down the page in a drop down menu here:

A link to LNERs simpler fares website, which contains a comment box.

Yes, I've already told them in no uncertain (but polite) terms my opinion on this nonsense.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I come to this as someone whose interest in the railways is merely a way to get from place A to place B (and back). I travel mainly for leisure, most frequently on SouthEastern, occasionally others, LNER never (so far). I, very occasionally, have to travel a distance - involving bus (to the station), train, travel across London, train, train, bus (to destination). The 70 min flex seems an interesting idea as I once missed a connection (middle train) because of an overrunning meeting, and they don't overrun by more than a short time otherwise the speaker will be talking to empty seats' they occasionally under-run.

Although I have some idea of ticket 'rules' (for instance, which trains I can use off-peak on - sometimes better than on-board staff), this is very specific to my locality so I count myself as the sort of casual traveller that the Railways would like to travel more often.

Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but miss it, next one is timetabled at 13:00 but delayed to 13:30, can I catch it?
Yes
Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but miss it, next one is timetabled at 13:00 but cancelled, can I catch the 14:00?
Yes because you were valid on the 1300 and the next available train is 1400.
Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but it is cancelled, next one is timetabled at 13:00 but delayed to 13:30, can I catch it?
Yes
Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but turn up at 11:00 to see the delayed 10:00 pulling in, can I catch it?
No, which is wrong in my opinion. (However staff may show discretion)
Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but catch the 11:00, which is subsequently delayed, can I claim 'Delay, Repay'?
I would argue yes; but see above, someone has asked them that question.
Suppose I am booked on the 12:00 but turn up early, can I catch the 11:30 to an intermediate station from which I can travel onward?
As long as you do not "break" your journey, yes. For example you can stop off for an hour at the York Tap but you would not be permitted to have a quick meal in Wetherspoons. (In theory; don't ask how they can enforce this!)
In the case of the fourth question, many passengers see the destination not the time.

OK, these won't be regular situations, but each one may lead to 'disagreement' between a passenger and Railway staff (not DfT staff or LNER managers of course). I was once part of sch a disagreement even though I carry a print out of my itinerary, they are not pleasant (I would guess from either party's point of view).
Yes there will be disagreements. If you are not on the booked train, the scan is blue, meaning 'further checks required'.

I suspect many staff will show discretion, but there is one very well known guard based on this route who could be quite strict!
As was said way back in #2

Just saying something is simpler doesn't make it simpler.
True, but LNER are not going to admit that their version of simple is anything but. They are under strict instructions from DfT.
Someone up-thread related it to airline travel - the difference being that tickets are checked before boarding a plane. I may be wrong here, but in a great many stations a ticket successfully scanned at the gateline merely means that it is valid for travel, not necessarily valid for travel just on the train immediately in front of the gate used. (May not be true of Kings Cross
True
It is possible they will extend the trial on that basis. But I suspect they will just be trying to move from trial to full deployment as soon as possible. Extending the trial too much could jeopardise it, as it would result in more bad publicity. A smaller trial probably helps them to ensure the figures look good!