• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

Andyh82

Established Member
So, a quick trip to Victoria earlier and the 185 is indeed now starting at stop E in terminus Place. Makes sense I suppose as it gives a common stop nearer to the station for buses heading south to Vauxhall. The other route I couldn't remember that terminates in Terminus Place is the 13.
Where is the 185 laying over as unlike the other stands A to D there doesn’t seem to be space to stand behind the stop

The standing arrangements for the C10 had also changed in the last few months, standing at the recently reinstated stop at the very end of Wilton Road rather than running empty round to the offside of Lower Grosvenor Place like they used to do

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Where is the 185 laying over as unlike the other stands A to D there doesn’t seem to be speaks to stand behind the stop

The standing arrangements for the C10 had also changed in the last few months, standing at the recently reinstated stop at the very end of Wilton Road rather than running empty round to the offside of Lower Grosvenor Place like they used to do

The 185 stand is Victoria Street, just past stand G. Google maps street view shows 2 buses on the 185, laying over at the stand.

Last edited by a moderator:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
The Arriva London North strike has been called off after an improved pay offer

A planned strike by more than 2,000 north London bus drivers has been called off after they accepted an 11% pay increase, the Unite union has said.
The drivers for Arriva, members of Unite, were due to take ongoing strike action from 4 October.
The union called it a "very strong result" and says it will now seek similar pay increases for drivers with other operators around the capital.
A strike by drivers in parts of Kent and Essex will still go ahead.
The industrial action in north London was suspended earlier this week following Arriva's new offer.
Unite members were balloted on the deal and the union said on Friday it had been accepted.
The union said the pay increase was the best deal across the London bus network.
"This is a very strong result and establishes what can be achieved when union members stand together in unity," Unite's general secretary Sharon Graham said.
A strike planned for Friday by drivers in parts of Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire was called off earlier this week, as a separate pay deal was agreed.
Arriva said it was "extremely disappointed" planned strikes were still due to take place at some Kent and Essex depots on Friday and on four days in October.

E27007

Saturday 1st October, provided a Route 37 Running Day, Peckham to Putney, ( with a few extending to Hounslow).
A Festival of RT buses, some with Leyland engines, most with AEC, lost count of the number , but probably 10+ , a few Routemasters too.
A set of roadworks at Herne Hill knocked the timetable out, but a very good day had by all, and nice warm Sun too

Snow1964

Established Member
Only on some buses - I don't know if it is an experiment, or whether it is now a requirement.
The new ones on electric buses seem to be electronic displays.

Can you even buy new smart blind units now (the motorised unit), I know replacement blinds are available to fit in existing units

londonbridge

Established Member
I’m currently on a 154 but according to the ibus announcements I’m on a “West Cromwell Road Tesco to West Croydon”…..it was announcing the stop names correctly until we got to Fairfield Halls which it announced as Westferry Circus…….

What other funny announcements caused by ibus malfunctioning have members heard?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I’m currently on a 154 but according to the ibus announcements I’m on a “West Cromwell Road Tesco to West Croydon”…..it was announcing the stop names correctly until we got to Fairfield Halls which it announced as Westferry Circus…….

What other funny announcements caused by ibus malfunctioning have members heard?
Assume this is some sort of alphabetical glitch. Maybe you'll be going from West Drayton to Westerham soon; not sure even Tillings would have countenanced that route! :)

londonbridge

Established Member
Here’s another one, I’m currently upstairs on an X26, I can see two people standing on the stairs and there’s at least five standing behind me….driver not saying anything…..what part of “no standing on the upper deck or staircase” do these people not understand?? It’s there for safety reasons, I’m in a mood to mention it to the driver when I get off.

Edit: At least four people have just got off, having had to push past those who were standing, there are now seats free and yet the bloke on the stairs is still standing as are some of those behind me…..

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Tomorrow (Tuesday) London Assembly is looking at recent TfL finance settlement, and it’s impact on number of items including Bus Action plan, services and fares

The agreement with the Government left a shortfall in Transport for London's (TfL) budget of around £740 million across 2022-23 and 2023-24. As part of its acceptance of the agreement, TfL has identified measures to balance its budget.

Tomorrow, the London Assembly Transport Committee will investigate several issues:

• How the agreement will affect Londoners and the implications for services, fares and future investment.
  • The impact on the Bus Action Plan.
  • Whether the extra capital funding is enough to deliver TfL's committed projects.
  • TfL's work on smart road pricing and what revenue could be generated from this.
  • Funding being provided by the Government for Hammersmith Bridge and whether it is sufficient.
  • The shortfall of funding required to complete the Elizabeth Line project in full.
The guests are:

• Seb Dance, Deputy Mayor for Transport, GLA
  • Andy Byford, Commissioner, TfL (in his final appearance before the Assembly)
  • Patrick Doig, Statutory Chief Finance Officer, TfL
The meeting will take place on Tuesday, 11 October 2022 from 10.00am, in The Chamber, at City Hall, Kamal Chunchie Way

Media and members of the public are invited to attend.

The meeting can also be viewed LIVE or later via webcast or YouTube

Follow us @LondonAssembly

There are links for those that want to follow the meeting from 10am

Snow1964

Established Member
London buses are again making it very difficult to know what is changing. Their bus changes webpage is only showing past dates nothing for the future.

The Elizabeth line bus consultations (about 4 years ago) did indicate bus changes would be introduced when through running commenced (which is just 2 weeks away), so what will happening is a mystery as TfL haven’t issued update to those either.

However it appears RATP should be introducing electric buses on 125 in next few days having finally got the chargers working at Edgware, and RATP take over 295 on Saturday

Route 125 is due to go electric on Monday 24 October, using BCE 47138-156 transferred from Harrow and Fulwell to Edgware Garage. VHs so displaced will allow (mostly indirectly) the take-up by RATP of route 295 from Metroline on 29 October.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Here’s another one, I’m currently upstairs on an X26, I can see two people standing on the stairs and there’s at least five standing behind me….driver not saying anything…..what part of “no standing on the upper deck or staircase” do these people not understand?? It’s there for safety reasons, I’m in a mood to mention it to the driver when I get off.

Edit: At least four people have just got off, having had to push past those who were standing, there are now seats free and yet the bloke on the stairs is still standing as are some of those behind me…..
Hasn't it been like that for many years?
I've rarely seen a driver do anything (as he can't leave the cab), just play recorded messages. Occasionally, a driver will stop the bus until people sort themselves out.

Snow1964

Established Member
I've rarely seen a driver do anything (as he can't leave the cab), just play recorded messages. Occasionally, a driver will stop the bus until people sort themselves out.
There is also a microphone so the drivers can speak and be heard on the PA (public address). But vast majority can’t be bothered to use it as it is easier to tap a button and play an announcement (even if they often get ignored as regulars switch out to repeat announcements)

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
I got overcarried by a London bus as the driver
  • Announced "the next bus stop is closed" message too late (after it left the last stop before the closed stop)
  • Didn't stop at that closed stop to drop me off despite the bus in front of me did stop to do so
I'm going to file a complaint to TfL. It will be a disaster if the same mistake happens on a route where there is a long non-stop section after the closed stop.

Cesarcollie

• Announced "the next bus stop is closed" message too late (after it left the last stop before the closed stop)
  • Didn't stop at that closed stop to drop me off despite the bus in front of me did stop to do so
I'm going to file a complaint to TfL. It will be a disaster if the same mistake happens on a route where there is a long non-stop section after the closed stop.

A disaster? What, one like the war in Ukraine? Or 9/11?

Edsmith

I'd certainly put in a complaint to TfL, too many instances of bus stops being unnecessarily closed.

APT618S

too many instances of bus stops being unnecessarily closed.
Several years ago I along with several other people were waiting at a central London stop in the middle of a day when a van pulls up and a guy gets out and puts a yellow "Bus stop closed" cover on the flag. Predictably the next bus does not stop so we had to walk to the next stop !

Snow1964

Established Member
TfL have now issued 2024-2025 bus tendering programme

There have also been updates on routes getting 2 year extensions

Routes 3/N3, 43/N43, 96, 122, 123/N123, 134/N134, 158/N158, 275, 317, 372, 428, 472/N472,486/N486, 493 and B15 have all had two-year extensions agreed under the terms of the Quality Incentive Contracts, therefore they will no longer form part of the Tendering Programme for 2023 - 2024
Routes 8/N8, 24/N24, 27/N27, 52/N52, 81, 54, 75, 100, 102/N102, 124, 128/N128, 136, 197, 205/N205, 207/N207, 208, 209/378, 227, 240, 267, 286, 301, 364, 375, 407, 490, 607 and E10 have all had two-year extensions agreed under the terms of the Quality Incentive Contracts, therefore they will no longer form part of the Tendering Programme for 2024/2025

HullRailMan

So, the bus failed to stop, exactly as was announced, and you had to walk an extra few yards from the next stop. Sounds like a living nightmare.

Edsmith

So, the bus failed to stop, exactly as was announced, and you had to walk an extra few yards from the next stop. Sounds like a living nightmare.
It probably would be for somebody who was elderly or disabled and it's a bit late to be announcing that the next stop will be closed AFTER leaving the previous stop!

IanD

Established Member

It probably would be for somebody who was elderly or disabled and it's a bit late to be announcing that the next stop will be closed AFTER leaving the previous stop!

Exactly, the 'Next Stop Closed' announcement should be made before leaving the previous stop. Depending on location, it may be a long way to the next next stop. Or not a simple route back to the closed stop - not always just a 'few extra yards'.

Dent

Where does it say that the next stop was only "a few yards" after the closed stop?

londonbridge

Established Member
I wish drivers would do that more often, especially when I got caught up with school kids who were doing the same thing, standing all over the place on the top deck and ignoring the announcements….but then again if the driver says bus isn’t moving until the problem sorts itself out, there’s always the possibility of other passengers ganging up on the perpetrators and the situation getting uglier.

E27007

I'd certainly put in a complaint to TfL, too many instances of bus stops being unnecessarily closed.
My gripe is mis-management of in-journey terminations. It is happening once a month on my usual route; 2 buses on the route end up tailing each other due to delays and control cancel the trailing bus not the leader. Applying an ounce of common sense, the two buses would stop at an agreed point and allow passengers to transfer to one bus. Not so; passengers are turfed out and made to wait for the next service. The last time it happened I had to wait 25 minutes for the next service.

busesrusuk

It has been announced that Arriva London are closing down their heritage fleet operation at the end of the year. They will be organising a few trips with RM2217 (last standard-length LT Routemaster) over route 137. details here:

Monday 14 November

A message from Arriva London:

It is with great sadness that Arriva London announces that our Heritage Fleet operation will cease at the end of 2022 and the vehicles will be available for sale for further use or preservation.

To commemorate the retirement of these iconic buses after over 60 years of service and almost 17 years under The Arriva Heritage Fleet banner the company will be running special journeys over route 137 on Friday 2 December.
This route passes close to the Royal Hospital Chelsea so we will be collecting for the Royal British Legion as part of our Remembrance commemorations.
It is expected that the vehicle in service will be RM 2217, numerically the last standard-length bus, which has spent 36 of its 57-year life at either Brixton or Norwood Garages.

The special journeys will operate as follows:

Upper Norwood, Crown Point: 10.00

Streatham Hill, Telford Avenue: 10.14 12.35 15.42

Clapham Common Station: 10.28 12.49 15.57

Battersea Park Station: 10.40 13.01 16.09

Sloane Square, South Side: 10.50 13.11 16.19

Knightsbridge Station: 10.55 13.16 16.24

Hyde Park Cnr, Knightsbridge: 11.00 13.21 16.29

Marble Arch: 11.06 13.27 16.36

Marble Arch: 11.22 13.48 16.55

Hyde Park Cnr, Knightsbridge: 11.29 13.55 17.03

Knightsbridge Station: 11.32 13.59 17.07

Sloane Square, South Side: 11.36 14.04 17.12

Battersea Park Station: 11.47 14.15 17.25

Clapham Common Station: 11.59 14.27 17.38

Streatham Hill, Telford Avenue: 12.13 14.42 17.53

Upper Norwood, Crown Point: 18.10

Any questions regarding this special operation should be directed to Arriva London by e-mail to [email protected] or telephone to 020 8219 7503.

I'm sure that particular vehicle will find a good home in due course. Personally, I thought it never looked better than when it was displayed at the Aldenham Spectacular event in 1983 - see here:

MotCO

Established Member
It has been announced that Arriva London are closing down their heritage fleet operation at the end of the year. They will be organising a few trips with RM2217 (last standard-length LT Routemaster) over route 137. details here:

I'm sure that particular vehicle will find a good home in due course. Personally, I thought it never looked better than when it was displayed at the Aldenham Spectacular event in 1983 - see here:

Apart from the RM, what other buses are in their heritage fleet?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could everyone make sure that there is a relevant quote, in quote tags, from any external website that is being referred to?

This is especially relevant to www.lots.org.uk as that site does not allow links to individual pages. It is also a requirement of our forum rules!

busesrusuk

Basically 4 Routemasters:
RM5
RMC1453 (first Green Line RMC and in green Line original livery)
RMC1464 open top in red livery
RM2217