• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
Interesting that they seem to have gone with whiskey (Jameson's?), given they serve Scotland. My colleagues in Edinburgh won't be impressed.

On the "food" front I'd rather they just binned it off rather than carrying on like this. Even National Express had a better offer, albeit paid for.

Don't worry Jameson's was founded by a Scotsman and it's not a bad tipple - better than nothing.

Wonder if they have found a supplier that bottles 1 measure miniatures rather than the standard two :E

"Luxury Travel and exquisite food" - are they straying into Caledonian Sleeper "misrepresentation" or fantasy with that moniker ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Incidentally, the New York Deli and Falafel sandwiches don't appear in the printed menus (attached), so I wonder if that may perhaps be a website typo, or just them having remaining stock to use up on an 'ad hoc' basis?

View attachment 106367

On the whole it strikes me as a bit of a poor effort to be honest. Rock hard bacon roll thrown at me as though making one was an inconvenience. No offer of the aforementioned "To finish" stuff. Not really a premium service (which is fine in principle, until you start charging premium fares).
Atrocious tbh. So much for a Christmas Spirit onboard, can't really get that if the staff are acting like the grinch.

trebor79

Established Member
"Maple flavour syrup". Hardly very luxurious! That'll be the same rubbish you used to get with American style pancakes in Little Chef.

PupCuff

"Maple flavour syrup". Hardly very luxurious! That'll be the same rubbish you used to get with American style pancakes in Little Chef.
I'd have tried the waffles... but then under the one item only rule I would have been barred from anything more substantial :lol:

takno

Established Member
Incidentally, the New York Deli and Falafel sandwiches don't appear in the printed menus (attached), so I wonder if that may perhaps be a website typo, or just them having remaining stock to use up on an 'ad hoc' basis?

View attachment 106367

On the whole it strikes me as a bit of a poor effort to be honest. Rock hard bacon roll thrown at me as though making one was an inconvenience. No offer of the aforementioned "To finish" stuff. Not really a premium service (which is fine in principle, until you start charging premium fares).
Euch. The NY Deli was the only really good thing on there

LowLevel

Established Member
No issues on board yesterday from my perspective, did Grantham to York and York to Newark. Served soon after departure both ways, on the way out had waffles, biscuits, 2 x coke and 2 x coffee (I was tired :lol:) all served in a pleasant and friendly fashion by a Scottish crew. I thought the waffles were a good idea, cheap to procure and serve but tasty and filling.

On the way back beef and piccalilli sandwich and chocolate pot, a can of Budvar and a black coffee, further snacks etc offered but declined, all again served in a friendly manner, perfectly fine for a 50 minute journey.

Train manager up and down checking tickets both ways too.

OK it's not what it was, but I was happy enough!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Did notice something coincidental today.

Yesterday LNER had all three of the menus on the website, with Deli being complete and the expected launch for Dish & Dine.

Look today and it's gone.

No issues on board yesterday from my perspective, did Grantham to York and York to Newark. Served soon after departure both ways, on the way out had waffles, biscuits, 2 x coke and 2 x coffee (I was tired :lol:) all served in a pleasant and friendly fashion by a Scottish crew. I thought the waffles were a good idea, cheap to procure and serve but tasty and filling.

On the way back beef and piccalilli sandwich and chocolate pot, a can of Budvar and a black coffee, further snacks etc offered but declined, all again served in a friendly manner, perfectly fine for a 50 minute journey.

Train manager up and down checking tickets both ways too.

OK it's not what it was, but I was happy enough!
That gives me some faith for next week, especially based on what I've heard about the crew attitude on social media and the quality of food.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Apologies a little off topic-
Yesterday I sold a customer tickets which involved First Class on yesterday's LNER 13:35 ish York to Newcastle (as the Advance First fare was just over £2 more than Standard) I'm curious whether they would have been offered food as well as drinks for this journey, or would it have been deemed too short?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yesterday I sold a customer tickets which involved First Class on yesterday's LNER 13:35 ish York to Newcastle (as the Advance First fare was just over £2 more than Standard) I'm curious whether they would have been offered food as well as drinks for this journey, or would it have been deemed too short?
If the crew was on the ball they probably got the full offer but it's always a bit ropey on intermediate journeys though they usually do a full service run after York for passengers that have joined since the last time they did one (often London for the food).

Scotrail314209

Established Member
On the subject of First Class, it can't just me that really does not like the layout of the First Class carriages in the Azumas? Looking at the reservations for several services it's likely if you reserve into a bay of 4 you'll have others at the table.

I find I never experienced that on a MK4 service as they always had the perfect split of single, paired and table seats. On the Azuma there seems to be too many tables and not enough seats for pairs.

Do the Azumas have less First Class compared to the MK4 sets?

TheBigD

Established Member
On the subject of First Class, it can't just me that really does not like the layout of the First Class carriages in the Azumas? Looking at the reservations for several services it's likely if you reserve into a bay of 4 you'll have others at the table.

I find I never experienced that on a MK4 service as they always had the perfect split of single, paired and table seats. On the Azuma there seems to be too many tables and not enough seats for pairs.

9 car Azumas have 100 first class seats (15+55+30), the mark 4 sets 128.

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
But there are hardly any two seater table seats which, I think, was what was being referred to.
Yep, that's what I was referring to.

There is only two on a 9 car set, one in Coach K and another in Coach L, with two airline pairs at the rear of Coach L. The rest are all table or single seats.

Usually in First Class you should expect a quieter ambience, but on the Azumas it'll be very difficult for this to be the case due to how busy First Class is.

takno

Established Member

As a single traveller I find I'm much more likely to get a seat to myself now, which is a huge improvement and I think probably suits the majority of customers very well. The only option to increase the number of two seat tables without eating into that capacity is to do the airline-style two seats in a row thing, which I assume isn't especially popular.

At the end of the day first class has to pay its way, so the aim is to fill the seats. If they don't get consistently good loadings in first class then they will just turn another half-coach into standard accomodation.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
As a single traveller I find I'm much more likely to get a seat to myself now, which is a huge improvement and I think probably suits the majority of customers very well. The only option to increase the number of two seat tables without eating into that capacity is to do the airline-style two seats in a row thing, which I assume isn't especially popular.

At the end of the day first class has to pay its way, so the aim is to fill the seats. If they don't get consistently good loadings in first class then they will just turn another half-coach into standard accomodation.
Very true, I did quite like how the MK4s had a perfect blend of seats and I never struggled to get a seat to myself.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very true, I did quite like how the MK4s had a perfect blend of seats and I never struggled to get a seat to myself.
Same, I always found the Mk4s and Mk3s on LNER had just about the perfect number of single and double seats. I can only recall a handful of occasions where it was ever a problem finding a solo seat if I was travelling solo. But since the change it's going to be considerably harder for a pair of people to find a double seat. Which is a bit naff really. But hey ho the DfT must have thought that there was more money to be made by prioritising solo, presumably, business travellers over leisure passengers.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Same, I always found the Mk4s and Mk3s on LNER had just about the perfect number of single and double seats. I can only recall a handful of occasions where it was ever a problem finding a solo seat if I was travelling solo. But since the change it's going to be considerably harder for a pair of people to find a double seat. Which is a bit naff really. But hey ho the DfT must have thought that there was more money to be made by prioritising solo, presumably, business travellers over leisure passengers.
Agreed, this is the issue I faced with booking. We got lucky and were able to nab the last paired seat on the train, and this was Octoberish. I never had an issue with anyone across from me on a MK4 or MK3, but when I did my first Azuma bash in First, I noticed a lot of pairs at tables having someone sit across from them.

Defeats the purpose of space and quieter ambience.

williamn

Post pandemic LNER has offered a ‘deli’ menu of sandwiches salads and a few hot items delivered in paper bags. However there was the promise of new fuller menus to come. I note that mention of these has now gone from the LNER website. Is this the end of hot plated food on LNER first class? Avanti’s first class offering is now fast superior.

Stathern Jc

I'd noticed that.
It seems a long time ago that the "Dish" and "Dine" services were going to appear in the autumn.

Enjoying a cooked breakfast while travelling through the Cairngorm scenery always made the First Class option a bit of a treat. A reheated(?) bacon roll just isn't the same.
Hope the service hasn't been permanently downgraded, but I suppose we should remember that it was always "complimentary".

westv

Established Member
I'd noticed that.
It seems a long time ago that the "Dish" and "Dine" services were going to appear in the autumn.

Enjoying a cooked breakfast while travelling through the Cairngorm scenery always made the First Class option a bit of a treat. A reheated(?) bacon roll just isn't the same.
Hope the service hasn't been permanently downgraded, but I suppose we should remember that it was always "complimentary".
Website claims that "We'll be introducing two new menus, Dish and Dine, to our trains in 2022."

Retorus

Website claims that "We'll be introducing two new menus, Dish and Dine, to our trains in 2022."
Yep, they’ve quietly changed that in the last couple of weeks. Used to say the Dish menu was arriving “very soon”.

richa2002

Established Member
Had a bacon roll served on a plate today and with proper rashers rather than suspect streaky. A nice change and a definite improvement from the paper bag.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Prefer the single airline seats in first class. Your own space! Avanti have only a few of these on the 390s but I've not tried first class on LNER azuma yet.

williamn

Had a bacon roll served on a plate today and with proper rashes rather than suspect streaky. A nice change and a definite improvement from the paper bag.
Good to hear. I suspect LNER don't have much reason to up their game at the moment with loadings seemingly pretty good and an imperative to keep costs down...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Prefer the single airline seats in first class. Your own space! Avanti have only a few of these on the 390s but I've not tried first class on LNER azuma yet.
Oh agreed, when travelling solo I much prefer those. But lots of people travel in pairs (my mum and I for instance!) and in that case the twin seats are much more preferable as we get our on space as a pair! Yes the 390s I think have a sub-optimal layout as I recall similarly on my less frequent trips on 390s in first class that it can be tricky securing a solo seat. As said previously though the gold standard was the Mallard refurbishment interiors on the Mk3s and Mk4s which had the perfect balance of pairs and solo seats.

On a Mk4 9-car set with three first class carriages for instance there are 15 solo seats and 16 sets of pairs (so 32 seats). On a 9-car Azuma with one full carriage and two half carriages of first class there are 30 solo seats and two sets of pairs where you are face to face over a table and two sets of pairs where you are side by side so a total of four pairs (or eight seats). That's one heck of reduction in seating for pairs!!

Now I think actually you could probably stand to lose one pair per carriage on the Mk4 set and gain an extra six solo seats and that might be an even more optimum layout but the layout on the Azuma (in any formation, I just chose the 9-car as it most closely compares to the Mk4) is absurdly weighted to solo travellers or groups of three or four.

DeeGee

What do you reckon the chances of food and drink coming my way on the relatively short run from Newark to Kings Cross? Thinking of taking an upgrade on a journey this Friday, mainly for the comfort, but if there's a sandwich to be had it might just tip the balance.