• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What do you reckon the chances of food and drink coming my way on the relatively short run from Newark to Kings Cross? Thinking of taking an upgrade on a journey this Friday, mainly for the comfort, but if there's a sandwich to be had it might just tip the balance.
I'd be relatively confident you'd get something.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
First impressions on the 1300 are good so far, one of the hosts gave everyone a personal greeting when she was placing the menu cards.

Good start so far

Scotrail314209

Established Member
UPDATE: Served promptly, given a nice chocolate pot and a G&T

Waffles came 20 minutes later and were absolutely delicious.

Attachments

• D42B1B3F-7490-4756-92BE-C16A601DD31F.jpeg
    D42B1B3F-7490-4756-92BE-C16A601DD31F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
  • F18D3348-A185-4FB2-9C07-8332FEB9EB9D.jpeg
    F18D3348-A185-4FB2-9C07-8332FEB9EB9D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64

gcmozart

I had two journeys to and from Leeds last week. Service was good within the confines of the current menu.

Two drink runs each time, second journey the host insisted we have double rations.

No rudeness or condescending admonishment.

I chose the hot mushroom ciabatta over the bacon roll, but both were reasonable.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I had the bacon roll this morning, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it a lot better than I expected it to be. A good quality roll, and a generous portion of good quality bacon. I would have preferred the Full English that I’ve had before though.

I did notice what seemed to be an awful lot of waste bacon being brought through the carriage afterwards though, and for some reason (pre serving) a plate of bacon being brought through my carriage.

Butts

Veteran Member
I had the bacon roll this morning, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it a lot better than I expected it to be. A good quality roll, and a generous portion of good quality bacon. I would have preferred the Full English that I’ve had before though.

I did notice what seemed to be an awful lot of waste bacon being brought through the carriage afterwards though, and for some reason (pre serving) a plate of bacon being brought through my carriage.

Were they offering people a second one ?

Surely this should be the least you expect with no cooked breakfast.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Final opinion: Good crew, extremely proactive.

However it was disappointing that only one round of snacks was offered to Edinburgh passengers which was north of Newcastle. The crew just seeked out more people who had just boarded.

For a 4hr 40 minute journey they really should’ve offered more than one snack round. Drinks were flowing though

williamn

Final opinion: Good crew, extremely proactive.

However it was disappointing that only one round of snacks was offered to Edinburgh passengers which was north of Newcastle. The crew just seeked out more people who had just boarded.

For a 4hr 40 minute journey they really should’ve offered more than one snack round. Drinks were flowing though
I only had 2 snack rounds on a 7hr30 from Aberdeen to London, so not really surprised by this. There was about a 4-5 hour gap between food runs - one after departure and another south of Newcastle.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Pretty poor show on the 16:03 YRK to KGX this evening. Despite a menu on the table, and no announcements to say so, no hot food at all. When the lady came round offering sandwiches, I enquired about hot food and all I got told was "not today". I tweeted LNER for an explanation and they didn't give me one. Only two choices of sandwiches too, and they couldn't even give me a teaspoon for my coffee.

Were they offering people a second one ?

Surely this should be the least you expect with no cooked breakfast.

Well I didn't get offered a second, but I was only on until York.

Dave W

I'm on 1S12 1030 KX-Edinburgh. A little Seatfrog victory. All seats taken as far as Doncaster where it's started to empty a little.

Lovely experience so far. Seats are nice enough and lots of room compared to standard. Only one food run so far but the drinks trolley has been down twice since 1130 which suits drunkards like me. Hopefully that continues...

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Having gotten very bored at night, I decided to do some calculation of the amount First Class seating there are on the Azumas compared to the MK4.

MK4 (9 car):
175 First
417 Standard
Total: 592

Azuma (9 car):
105 First
503 Standard
Total: 608

Azuma (10 car):
94 First
510 Standard
Total: 604

Azuma (5 car):
47 First
255 Standard
Total: 302

It now makes sense to me as why First Class seems to be running as full on most Scotland services, they have 70 seats less compared to a MK4. I think LNER greatly underestimated how popular First Class is on their services. You could make Coach K fully First compared to the half carriage they have right now, with a loss of 37 standard seats.

I think 94 seats on a 10 car is absolutely dismal.

takno

Established Member
Having gotten very bored at night, I decided to do some calculation of the amount First Class seating there are on the Azumas compared to the MK4.

MK4 (9 car):
175 First
417 Standard

Azuma (9 car):
105 First
503 Standard

Azuma (10 car):
94 First
510 Standard

Azuma (5 car):
47 First
255 Standard

It now makes sense to me as why First Class seems to be running as full on most Scotland services, they have 70 seats less compared to a MK4. I think LNER greatly underestimated how popular First Class is on their services. You could make Coach K fully First compared to the half carriage they have right now, with a loss of 37 standard seats.

I can't make sense of this logic. They presumably aim to fill first class, going to the length of offering Seatfrog upgrades on most trains to ensure that it's fully-utilised. When they succeed in this fairly obvious aim people assume that they've somehow made a mistake because for some reason they shouldn't want first class full.

It's not selling out insanely early, and it's generally commanding about the right premium over standard, so I'd say overall if it's filling then they've got it exactly right

TheBigD

Established Member

MK4 (9 car):
175 First
417 Standard

Azuma (9 car):
105 First
503 Standard

Azuma (10 car):
94 First
510 Standard

Azuma (5 car):
47 First
255 Standard

Not sure where you've got the figures for the Azumas from but their capacity is as follows...

5 car
48 1st
254 std
(302 seats)

9 car
100 1st
490 std
(590 seats)

5+5 car
96 1st
508 std
(604 seats)

The 9 car sets used to have an extra 21 seats but they were removed in favour of extra luggage stacks.

Bayum

Established Member
I had a first class journey on my return leg KGX to YRK on Thursday. The particular carriage I was in had five of us with a number of reservations with no bottoms yet alighting at York I could see that the previous coach (whichever is before K on the London end) was quite full. The staff did a fantastic job at keeping us fed and watered, to the point that I could have spent a large proportion of the journey with my FFP3 mask removed!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Not sure where you've got the figures for the Azumas from but their capacity is as follows...

5 car
48 1st
254 std
(302 seats)

9 car
100 1st
490 std
(590 seats)

5+5 car
96 1st
508 std
(604 seats)

The 9 car sets used to have an extra 21 seats but they were removed in favour of extra luggage stacks.
I got the figures through my bad arithmetic skill! :oops:

I remember the extra seats, were those the ones that didn’t have a window next to them?

The DfT underestimated. They specified the trains...
I forgot that the DFT specified the capacity.
I had a first class journey on my return leg KGX to YRK on Thursday. The particular carriage I was in had five of us with a number of reservations with no bottoms yet alighting at York I could see that the previous coach (whichever is before K on the London end) was quite full. The staff did a fantastic job at keeping us fed and watered, to the point that I could have spent a large proportion of the journey with my FFP3 mask removed!
I noticed that myself when travelling down from Edinburgh, I was up in Coach K which was quiet after York but Coach L was also pretty packed.

TheBigD

Established Member
I remember the extra seats, were those the ones that didn’t have a window next to them?

Yes, the windowless seats next to the door pockets were removed.

1 from coach L
2 from coach K
4 from coach J
4 from coach H
2 from coach G
4 from coach C
4 from coach B

davetheguard

Established Member
Yes, the windowless seats next to the door pockets were removed.

1 from coach L
2 from coach K
4 from coach J
4 from coach H
2 from coach G
4 from coach C
4 from coach B

That's good news, I hadn't realised that had happened; is that from all the LNER sets? Have they replaced them will luggage racks, or just left the space vacant for cases?

westv

Established Member
That's good news, I hadn't realised that had happened; is that from all the LNER sets? Have they replaced them will luggage racks, or just left the space vacant for cases?
Thar still leaves a number of standard seats with poor views outside though.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I believe there is still one at the London end of Coach K which is against a wall, a luggage rack would be perfect there.

Retorus

Had my journeys with LNER over the weekend. Southbound crew were generous with their offerings, the return group less so. Both 801s I was on also seemed rather bumpy, which I wasn't expecting.

greyman42

Established Member
Had my journeys with LNER over the weekend. Southbound crew were generous with their offerings, the return group less so. Both 801s I was on also seemed rather bumpy, which I wasn't expecting.
Have you any idea where the crews were based?
The bumpy ride is par for the course on a 8xx.