• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

38Cto15E

Next week I am on the Kings Cross to Inverness, Highland Chieftain and also the 0752 Aberdeen to Kings Cross, no doubt my tale will ensure the thread lives on.

Next month I will be on the 0755 Inverness to Kings Cross, I hope to get a brekkie but we will see.
Incidentally, on this train the First class fare with railcard was a meagre £33.65, but when I checked out seat reservations it was 7/8s full.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
Have a good trip - the Chieftain is very popular lately, I've noticed a lot of forum users talking about it.

I will be on the 0634 from London King's Cross to Newcastle next month. And I'd better get breakfast! I will be coming home on the 1730, which is an All Day Train.

Then I've got a week of KGX-Stevenage, which will be with East Coast again. I got lucky last month with soft drink and sandwich runs as soon as we left London, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more of the same!

Searle

Established Member
Was on the 18:30 Edinburgh to King's Cross as far as York last night. What a depressing service, it stops just about everywhere! Took me about 2 hours 45 minutes just to get to York and I think it took about another 2 hours down to London!

Had awesome service, got first round of drinks straight after leaving Edinburgh, and had a curry (Indian stlye chicken breast!) by about Berwick. Had a curry and a can of cider while going along the coast at 100mph on a beautiful evening, I was so satisfied! :D

I think there were four drinks rounds by the time we got to York which was more than enough. Had a couple of packets of crisps and cake too.

On a side note, the first class host said that I should be careful after having a small can of cider and a gin and tonic, he didn't want me falling off the train through being drunk. Should have told him I'm a student and I definitely can handle that ;)

Waverley21

Next week I am on the Kings Cross to Inverness, Highland Chieftain and also the 0752 Aberdeen to Kings Cross, no doubt my tale will ensure the thread lives on.

Better not be leaving ABD on a Friday. 0752 is dry as far as Newcastle!

Urban Gateline

Established Member

Next month I will be on the 0755 Inverness to Kings Cross, I hope to get a brekkie but we will see.
Incidentally, on this train the First class fare with railcard was a meagre £33.65, but when I checked out seat reservations it was 7/8s full.

Which day are you going up to Inverness on? I'll be on Wednesdays' Chieftain from KGX to INV! ;)

38Cto15E

I am on Tuesdays Chieftain to Inverness and return on the 0752 from Aberdeen on Thursday, 0752 is a bit early for an alcoholic drink, even for me.:)

When I was on the Highland Chieftain about 8 weeks ago there was a PHBT near to Alnmouth and we arrived in Inverness just before 2200 hours, I received my £67.90 back in vouchers which have been spent on this trip.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You will definitely be served a breakfast on the Highland Chieftan.

I've been on the Chieftan out of Inverness on 3 mornings this month and can confirm that the dedicated crew are still enthusuastically preparing breakfasts for equally enthusiastic and regular passengers on that service, despite occasional omissions of an item from the menu or equipment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was on the 18:30 Edinburgh to King's Cross as far as York last night. What a depressing service, it stops just about everywhere! Took me about 2 hours 45 minutes just to get to York and I think it took about another 2 hours down to London!
I'm not sure what you might have been expecting, ca. 2hrs London - York is how long it takes, for all of us, every day, first or standard class. Edin - York is still only a few mins quicker on many services with just 3 stops in between.

Glad you appreciated the service.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

it aint the star ship enterpirse - it is an hst or a 91! It does 125mph max. 2 hours York to London is what it takes. How long did you expect? :roll:

Searle

Established Member
Sorry, I meant 2 and a half hours down to London. It's just pretty depressing stopping at absolutely everywhere :P

York-KX non stop can be done in 1hr 45mins if you get a clear run. The later evening trains out of Edinburgh are due to stop at every pi*s pot stop so i can understand the posters point.

westv

Established Member
Once the franchise changes it'll be ship's biscuits and water from the bath. Make the most of it folks!

ModernRailways

Established Member
Once the franchise changes it'll be ship's biscuits and water from the bath. Make the most of it folks!

I doubt that, the East Coast Mainline has always had a good First Class offering, although you used to have to pay!

It will also have to match or exceed the West Coast Mainline's First Class offering too as that is competition for those travelling to Scotland from the South!

I doubt much will change with what is offered in First Class, in fact the next TOC would be foolish (in my opinion) to get rid of the current way of things. Maybe provide a wider variety of options, more 'normal' food instead of fancy stuff, a burger and fries would be great (and no, not like a McDonalds kind, more of a gourmet burger).

They would have to keep it free (you get it included in your First Class ticket) too!

Robinson

I have another East Coast FC trip coming up. This coming Monday I'll be going Southampton Central - Newcastle, using the 1730 off King's Cross (so I should get an evening meal); returning the following Tuesday using the 1625 from NCL.

Last time I was on an evening meal train one of the hot options had run out by the time the host got to me; this time my reserved seat is a bit closer to the kitchen though so fingers crossed :p

Will report back upon my return...

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I bought one of those from HMS Victory as a youngster. They said we weren't supposed to eat them but I had to try. Never could bite through the thing but nibbled it until it went green !

AlexS

Established Member
I still don't see the necessity in free food - EMT do some excellent meals, all of which are less than a fiver. You get your bits and bats for free, biscuits, nuts, tea, coffee, juice etc - but if you want something bigger, you pay a very reasonable price and get some very good food for it - the ploughman's, for example, is absolutely huge.

richa2002

Established Member
I still don't see the necessity in free food - EMT do some excellent meals, all of which are less than a fiver. You get your bits and bats for free, biscuits, nuts, tea, coffee, juice etc - but if you want something bigger, you pay a very reasonable price and get some very good food for it - the ploughman's, for example, is absolutely huge.
Exactly and for under that fiver, you get a lot more choice and a more substantial meal :).

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Last time I was on an evening meal train one of the hot options had run out by the time the host got to me; this time my reserved seat is a bit closer to the kitchen though so fingers crossed :p
That is a good strategy for maximising your choices from the menu on a busy train.

But it isn't guaranteed to work every time!

On an evening service recently, the crew decided to start the food run (including taking orders for hot options) from coach M, the far end. Consequently, those in K had to wait longer to be served, had the options reduced by any item exhausted beforehand, and the tantalising frustration of watching and smelling hot dishes being carried past to the London end of the train long before receving their own 'offering'.

westv

Established Member

You don't have to have the free food. You can always go to the buffet and buy some whilst us freebie junkies enjoy ours.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Travelled twice with East Coat today both times service has been excellent. 1119 from Darlington to Edinburgh hot drinks came around upon departure followed swiftly by cold drinks and sandwiches. The sandwiches themselves were very nice I opted for the bacon, tomato, rocket and watercress (or in other words a BLT) the other option was Red Leicester with pickled onion chutney and lettuce. Hot/cold drinks + food came around again shortly after Berwick. No complaints from me on today's service and it stands in stark contrast to my last experience travelling from Darlington northbound on a weekend!

Got the 2000 back home from Edinburgh and hot/cold drinks + food came around straight after departure and the hot/cold drinks came around again after Alnmouth. I shall update on what happens after Newcastle!

HST Power

Established Member
On an evening service recently, the crew decided to start the food run (including taking orders for hot options) from coach M, the far end. Consequently, those in K had to wait longer to be served, had the options reduced by any item exhausted beforehand, and the tantalising frustration of watching and smelling hot dishes being carried past to the London end of the train long before receving their own 'offering'.

Why would they do that? I don't understand the logic in starting from M?

Butts

Veteran Member
Why would they do that? I don't understand the logic in starting from M?

They often do that with The Breakfasts which has resulted on a few "near misses" travelling from Edinburgh to Alnmouth for my good self. :p If you want to be served quickly order a non-standard breakfast (ie not full english) as they seem to be issued first.

Logically I suppose it makes sense to start as far away as possible and work back on yourself. With the trolley it is obviously different.

Bungle73

On Moderation
They often do that with The Breakfasts which has resulted on a few "near misses" travelling from Edinburgh to Alnmouth for my good self. :p If you want to be served quickly order a non-standard breakfast (ie not full english) as they seem to be issued first.

Logically I suppose it makes sense to start as far away as possible and work back on yourself. With the trolley it is obviously different.

Logically? I can't see how it makes any difference.

marks87

Established Member
I'd say it's more logical to take orders on the way "out", because if anyone wants to add something to their order, they can catch the crew on their way back.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd say it's more logical to take orders on the way "out", because if anyone wants to add something to their order, they can catch the crew on their way back.

They do take the orders on the "way out" but deliver them "in reverse" as it were !!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Logically? I can't see how it makes any difference.

Not the best use of words by myself :oops: , but commencing the delivery to the furthest away first results in reducing "mileage" for the staff :p