• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
How? As far as I see they walk the exact same distance.

Yes, but on a task like that it is better to serve those furthest away first so the distance you travel each time is gradually decreasing as oppose to increasing as it would the other way round.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
It looks like I'll be taking the weekday 11:08 Kings Cross to York service sometime in July. Would the freebies be worth first class on this service?

HST Power

Established Member
It looks like I'll be taking the weekday 11:08 Kings Cross to York service sometime in July. Would the freebies be worth first class on this service?

That will be an All Day train; so you'll be getting the sandwiches, crisps, possibly a hot option. If you have an actual date in mind then you can go here to see which menu rotation the train will be running.

Butts

Veteran Member
Right, so are you saying that they start taking orders from K but deliver the breakfasts starting from M?

Yes they take orders on the way down starting at J/K and deliver them from M sometimes................but I have known them deliver them from J/K as well :lol:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
That will be an All Day train; so you'll be getting the sandwiches, crisps, possibly a hot option. If you have an actual date in mind then you can go here to see which menu rotation the train will be running.
11:08 on the 9th of July, so snacks and drinks. As someone used to the commuter offerings of Twiglets (freshly picked at a garage off the A259, no doubt!) it'll be like a banquet to me. Ta very much, HST Power. :D

Bungle73

On Moderation
11:08 on the 9th of July, so snacks and drinks. As someone used to the commuter offerings of Twiglets (freshly picked at a garage off the A259, no doubt!) it'll be like a banquet to me. Ta very much, HST Power. :D

It won't just be snacks and drinks, it's the All Day Menu so you will have the choice of a meal.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually it's the same rotation I had on my last trip to and from Edinburgh: rotation 1. I had the Indian Style Chicken btw, which was nice. :)

HST Power

Established Member
Yes they take orders on the way down starting at J/K and deliver them from M sometimes................but I have known them deliver them from J/K as well :lol:

Well....I think they have been spying on this thread! Thankfully, the service I'm using in three weeks is nigh empty when it gets to Stevenage, particuarly in First Class.

Most welcome, have a good trip. :)

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I guess it's only fair that I report my recent experience of First Class with East Coast! Even my first time ever in East Coast First Class!

Both ways I took the Highland Chieftain, from KGX to INV on 19/06/13 and back down today 20/06/13 from INV to KGX!

Chieftain KGX to INV

Orders for hot food taken about 10 mins after departure from KGX and the drinks trolley made an appearance about 30 mins after departure, shortly after that my hot food arrived. (Chicken Pie) It was quite good actually but I think others have already mentioned the pastry bit of it is a bit dry.

After York the food trolley came round but only to passengers who had joined there, otherwise it just zoomed by without the CSA asking if anyone else wanted anything!

Then it got better after Edinburgh, the Food trolley came and I had 4 triangle Sandwiches, same again after Perth, but to be honest the small hot meal and 8 triangle sandwiches left me feeling hungry after the 8hr Journey!

I counted 4 drink rounds in the 8hr Journey (alcoholic ones that is, there was probably double that in rounds of Tea and Coffee that were offered)

Chieftain INV to KGX

As my luck would have it, a fault in the Kitchen meant no Hot breakfast :( To make up for it they were offering Paninis, I had a Bacon Panini and then an hour or so later a Vegetarian option Panini which had Egg and Mushroom, they weren't bad but no substitute for a proper breakfast!

Plenty of Tea and Coffee was offered though, actually throughout this Journey I'd say it was offered at least every 45mins!

At precisely 11:56am the drinks trolley came round with the proper drinks and I had my first alcoholic drink of the day :p

After the crew change in Edinburgh I have to say the crew from Edinburgh to KGX were THE most attentive of my entire trip and indeed made my Journey, no less than 4 rounds of Sandwiches/Cake/Crisps in the 5h or so from Edinburgh to KGX and 4 drinks rounds with the CSA offering to double up on the last round as it was some 90mins before arrival into KGX. :D

Summary
I was travelling on Advance tickets, about £50 for the outward and £45 for the return working. So for me I didn't have high expectations of the First Class offering as those were very good value for the Journey itself anyway!
I was pleased with the offering on both Journeys, and my advice to others reading this is just don't expect too much but be grateful for what you do get!

Butts

Veteran Member
I guess it's only fair that I report my recent experience of First Class with East Coast! Even my first time ever in East Coast First Class!

Both ways I took the Highland Chieftain, from KGX to INV on 19/06/13 and back down today 20/06/13 from INV to KGX!

Chieftain KGX to INV

Orders for hot food taken about 10 mins after departure from KGX and the drinks trolley made an appearance about 30 mins after departure, shortly after that my hot food arrived. (Chicken Pie) It was quite good actually but I think others have already mentioned the pastry bit of it is a bit dry.

After York the food trolley came round but only to passengers who had joined there, otherwise it just zoomed by without the CSA asking if anyone else wanted anything!

Then it got better after Edinburgh, the Food trolley came and I had 4 triangle Sandwiches, same again after Perth, but to be honest the small hot meal and 8 triangle sandwiches left me feeling hungry after the 8hr Journey!

I counted 4 drink rounds in the 8hr Journey (alcoholic ones that is, there was probably double that in rounds of Tea and Coffee that were offered)

Chieftain INV to KGX

As my luck would have it, a fault in the Kitchen meant no Hot breakfast :( To make up for it they were offering Paninis, I had a Bacon Panini and then an hour or so later a Vegetarian option Panini which had Egg and Mushroom, they weren't bad but no substitute for a proper breakfast!

Plenty of Tea and Coffee was offered though, actually throughout this Journey I'd say it was offered at least every 45mins!

At precisely 11:56am the drinks trolley came round with the proper drinks and I had my first alcoholic drink of the day :p

After the crew change in Edinburgh I have to say the crew from Edinburgh to KGX were THE most attentive of my entire trip and indeed made my Journey, no less than 4 rounds of Sandwiches/Cake/Crisps in the 5h or so from Edinburgh to KGX and 4 drinks rounds with the CSA offering to double up on the last round as it was some 90mins before arrival into KGX. :D

Summary
I was travelling on Advance tickets, about £50 for the outward and £45 for the return working. So for me I didn't have high expectations of the First Class offering as those were very good value for the Journey itself anyway!
I was pleased with the offering on both Journeys, and my advice to others reading this is just don't expect too much but be grateful for what you do get!

Ah the curse of the fridges in Inverness strikes again. At least you got offered a bacon panini , all I got was biscuits when it happened to me last time.

That combined with the "Trolley Dash" after York was a shame.

However overall you seemed to FAYRE reasonably well :p

calc7

Established Member
"Trolley dash" - lol!
Good that the last crew understand that 90 mins with no "doubles up" looks a bit tight.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Ah the curse of the fridges in Inverness strikes again. At least you got offered a bacon panini , all I got was biscuits when it happened to me last time.

That combined with the "Trolley Dash" after York was a shame.

However overall you seemed to FAYRE reasonably well :p

Biscuits? Ah yes I had a pack of shortbread biscuits which came shortly after the bacon Panini, It sounds bad but I was relying on East Coast to feed and water me so I had nothing of my own on the day of the trip up there and also no breakfast before getting onto the Chieftain, risky but I survived ;)

Also failed to mention I tried the Old speckled hen on the way up, tastes quite nice, I'm not a big fan of Ale normally! My other drinks were Diet Coke as a mixer with Whisky and once tried the Vodka too! :p

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . but I was relying on East Coast to feed and water me so I had nothing of my own on the day of the trip up there and also no breakfast before getting onto the Chieftain, . . .
This is precisely the problem!
You've acknowledged that this was an exceptional an casual journey, but for the good people of Inverness (and beyond) travelling to Edinburgh, to places in England or even all the way through London to destinations beyond, and for many other regular travellers such as the many boarding at Aviemore, they simply want to know whether, either, to have a decent breakfast and adequate food for the next 9 hours or so on board. Or not.

If not, its easy to get up 20 minutes earlier and have something at home (or whatever accomodation). If it is, then it had better be there.
I really can't understand why we continue to accept so many excuses for these failures; failures which should not be beyond the abilities of a major Railway Operator to mitigate, manage and solve.

The same difficult decision about such a simple facility applies to the hundreds of regular passengers leaving London on the Company's north bound services every evening, looking at 3, 4 or 5 hours between office and home. Will they eat adequately or not? Uncertainty really shouldn't be the answer.

38Cto15E

How are the breakfasts prepared on the Inverness to Kings Cross train? Is it correct that they are put on board the Kings Cross-Inverness train at Waverley the previous evening?

I presume then there is a special oven which heats the brekafast a la microwave style?
My Inverness and Aberdeen findings will be posted in the next couple of days, I still have rail lag. :)

38Cto15E

Just my observations from a couple of journeys this week and not a criticism if it may read that way.
Tuesday 1S16 1200hrs Kings Cross-Inverness.
As always the staff were very fast serving Tea/Coffee after leaving the major stations.
Around Stevenage my Hot Chicken pie and salad leaves arrived, the pies have very nice fillings, who makes them?
I had been in M&S Simply Food at St Pancras to supplement East Coasts complimentaries and I added some Greek salad, folowed by a carton of fresh fruit pieces, washed down by a can of Gaymers and some of my own Rose.

At York a new Newcastle team comes on board until their home city supplementing the original crew, service is excellent, I had some shortbread biscuits (for later, in fact much later as I still have them :) and a G&T
Hot food and sandwiches for York passengers, probably Darlington as well.

After Newcastle another round of cold drinks plus sandwiches at Morpeth if you wanted any, I didn't:lol:
After Haymarket the full service of sandwiches, cake, crisps, drinks, this was the last food for passengers on the train from Edinburgh, but there was a final drinks service after Perth.

Thursday 1E11 0752 hrs Aberdeen-Kings Cross
Again hot drinks straight away, food orders taken, First class was very busy but I was in J.
Between Stonehaven and Montrose the trolley came around with Banana, Orange Juice and Croissants, the toast machine was 'broken'.
My first cooked breakfast on East Coast arrived before Montrose, piping hot and not a bad plateful, I could have done with another coffee to wash it down but had to wait till Leuchars. No blame for the staff though they were working really hard.
If going on East Coast a good tip is to bring along some sachets of sauce etc from Wetherspoons, although I was in the Archbiold Simpson in Aberdeen the evening before I forgot. :lol:
As I said the train was very busy and I think that Coach J on HSTs is not a very quiet area with trolleys of cups and glasses going back and forwards.

At Waverley a Leeds crew come on board, they work a down train at 0615 from Doncaster.
A full service very speedily again, I did not have the hot food as I was still pretty full from brekkie, I could wait until Durham.:D
I did get told off by a young Yorkshire lass for helping myself to crisps from the trolley, it was a Health and Safety thing but I was only trying to be helpful.
After Newcastle full service again and I ordered the Frittata, it was not like a Fritter but a slice of quiche, very nice.
So the return journey consisted of Full Brekkie, Frittata, a Banana, a couple of slices of cake, a couple of crisps, 3 Gaymers and 3 cups of coffee, no wonder I got off at the Cross looking like the Nutty Professor.

Personally, I would like the opportunity to upgrade my food for a supplement but I realise that is not going to happen, East Mids Trains and the Caledonian Sleeper both offer very reasonable priced main courses.
Make the most of East Coasts offerings, they won't last forever.

westv

Established Member
I did get told off by a young Yorkshire lass for helping myself to crisps from the trolley, it was a Health and Safety thing but I was only trying to be helpful.

:lol::lol::lol: health and safety?!

Anyway, a most detailed post, thanks.

Robinson

So as promised, here's my trip report for my most recent East Coast 1st class experience.

I took the 1730 from King's Cross to Newcastle last Monday as part of an EC + Connections 1st Advance through from Southampton. First run of the tea/coffee trolley, first run of the cold drinks trolley, hot meal orders taken - all before the train had reached Peterborough. (And for those of us in coach K, as I was, we were also served our meals before Peterborough, although passengers further back had to wait a little bit longer.) Given the full choice of menu rotation 2, I went for the roasted herb lamb rump, which turned out to be an excellent choice. Dessert followed when the train was near Newark North Gate, and the orange polenta cake was equally high quality. Further runs of the drinks trolleys kept us well-watered before the crockery was packed up north of Darlington. Full marks to East Coast on this occasion from me.

The return journey was on the 1625 from Newcastle yesterday (an All Day Menu train). Pretty much as expected - the drinks service may have been equally generous, but the quiche lorraine wasn't nearly as filling as the lamb on the way up, despite being supplemented later in the journey by some leftover sandwiches.

Overall, service offered was as expected, and in the case of the northbound journey was especially high-quality IMO. Compare this with the SWT journeys that got me between Southampton and London on the same tickets - absolutely no complimentaries whatsoever, despite the existence of a catering trolley.

Based on these journeys, I would certainly recommend East Coast's first class service to anyone who was considering it.

Essexman

Established Member
Next month I'm travelling from Stirling to Inverness.
Last time I did the journey on East Coast I enjoyed ham, egg & chips passing through the Highlands.
According to the timetable I should get the all day menu.
According to the report above it will be just drinks.
This is progress?

DeeGee

Is there any reason why I'd want to use my loyalty points on a lounge pass if I only travel Fri evenings or during the weekend?

Butts

Veteran Member
Next month I'm travelling from Stirling to Inverness.
Last time I did the journey on East Coast I enjoyed ham, egg & chips passing through the Highlands.
According to the timetable I should get the all day menu.
According to the report above it will be just drinks.
This is progress?

From my experience there is a "run" after Perth whether there will be any hot grub is pot luck - you should get sarnies and crisps and cake at least I would have thought.

38Cto15E

essexman
You should get sandwiches, crisps and cake plus a couple of drinks runs if you are lucky.

If you are returning on the 0755 from Inverness you should have the chance for a cooked breakfast, if you are returning on Scotrail, stock up. :)

SGS

East Coast seem to be consulting on their first class offer.

I've just completed a quite extensive survey they sent by e-mail, which mostly focussed on first class lounge access (which I couldn't care less about) and what I preferred them to offer in them, and then went on to cover my relative FC priorities of journey time, ticket price, free catering, free newspapers, free wi-fi, and lounge access. They did this by offering two different combinations of facilities/price/journey time, and asking which I preferred. Then two more, then two more, etc. etc. I think this would have tried the patience of any non-crank, to be honest. I always picked the option that had the free catering and cheaper ticket!

They were really interested in the lounges, though. They were asking if I was interested in "Complimentary showers", "Video conferencing", "Conference calling", "Complimentary chargers for mobile phones/laptops/note books etc.", "Meeting rooms", "Quiet areas where you can work/relax" and their biggest hobby-horse "refurbished toilet facilities meaning they will be amongst the best you've seen". Unfortunately I'm just not bothered about the first class lounges!

Stuart.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/

HST Power

Established Member
East Coast seem to be consulting on their first class offer.

I've just completed a quite extensive survey they sent by e-mail, which mostly focussed on first class lounge access (which I couldn't care less about) and what I preferred them to offer in them, and then went on to cover my relative FC priorities of journey time, ticket price, free catering, free newspapers, free wi-fi, and lounge access. They did this by offering two different combinations of facilities/price/journey time, and asking which I preferred. Then two more, then two more, etc. etc. I think this would have tried the patience of any non-crank, to be honest. I always picked the option that had the free catering and cheaper ticket!

They were really interested in the lounges, though. They were asking if I was interested in "Complimentary showers", "Video conferencing", "Conference calling", "Complimentary chargers for mobile phones/laptops/note books etc.", "Meeting rooms", "Quiet areas where you can work/relax" and their biggest hobby-horse "refurbished toilet facilities meaning they will be amongst the best you've seen". Unfortunately I'm just not bothered about the first class lounges!

Stuart.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/

I had a similar survery but mine was about advertising and the company brand image - I hope the one you mention gets sent to me, I would be a happy contributor.

The discussion of First Class 'showers' in an interesting one; can one can infer based on this proposal that the First Class model will take a more airline style approach? Showers can be found in Business and First Class lounges at most international airports. Many airlines, United being the best one I can think of, offer a buffet service, and the choice of food on offer is normally quite large as well.

ciderbilly

Currently on the 10.15 from PBO - EDB.

Within the hour I have had coffee , orange and full English . The Stella trolley has arrived but I had to turn down the sandwich platter.

great service.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Most of you know that my most frequent journeys are between Newcastle and London, but I do make several journeys to Edinburgh and to Inverness in First Class on EC. One was this evening, on a very familiar service, the 21:00 southbound from Edinburgh (which originates in Aberdeen).

Unfortunately, there was only half the catering crew that normally operates the service. You can probably imagine the consequence . . . . everything was available, but it took a long time for one CSA to dispense any food and drink through all of First Class, and to work in the kitchen, and replenish the trolley, while the other CSA tried to keep some sort of order in the shop while the hoards of eager drinkers from Standard descended.

Oh, and I should mention that that service probably runs with the foulest toilets of any diagram on the EC network (having its last tanking at Kings Cross before running to Aberdeen and then back to Leeds.) Of course, the staff too have to put up with those foul conditions on-board.
And while I'm on and bemoaning the lot of the staff, this is one of those services which runs as an HST calling at some stations where any day-time platform staff have gone home. The misery of expectig a Guard to dispatch one of those long 9-car sets, with manual slam-doors by themself, in the dark, in the rain, and on a platform on a curve, isn't a professional way to manage a railway.

Last edited:

GNER traveller

The discussion of First Class 'showers' in an interesting one; can one can infer based on this proposal that the First Class model will take a more airline style approach? Showers can be found in Business and First Class lounges at most international airports. Many airlines, United being the best one I can think of, offer a buffet service, and the choice of food on offer is normally quite large as well.

Closer to home, BA also offer a buffet in their Heathrow lounges. Unfortunately in May they got a new contractor (BaxterStorey) to run the catering, and the resulting product is described here. There's also a page which has before and after pics showing how varied the buffet used to be under the old caterers until it was replaced with the current gloop.

On the train, as journey times are longer and you don't need to get to the station early (as no security and bag drop hassles that flying brings), so I don't see the point of a buffet in an EC lounge. It would be nice if you could order food (and alcohol) in the lounges like you used to be able to, just in case you do get to the station early, but I could see a lounge buffet not being a particular benefit to the train experience.

I would rather have the option to pay for better catering on board, the restaurant was a great way to kill the time on a trip to Newcastle or Edinburgh.

After the restaurant vanished from East Coast I switched preference to flying, because I could use the time between security and boarding in their lounge to get something to eat. Now the quality is so poor I'd rather make do with the East Coast on-board offering.

After having to use other operators over the last year or so (until recently the only time I was on a train over a hour was on East Coast), I've realised that although East Coast are no GNER they're still probably the best operator out there at the moment. Manchester to Newcastle on TPE is just painful, it's a longer journey time (than KGX-NCL) but none of the luxuries of East Coast. South West Trains to Bournemouth I felt the same. So although EC killed my favourite feature of GNER I hope the franchising process is delayed as long as possible so we don't lose them, I'm pretty sure whoever else takes over will be worse.

FGW is an odd one. I've not been on one of their services with a restaurant or travelling chef but did use them to Cardiff, one way with an at seat service in first class and the other on a weekend where you had to go to the buffet for everything. East Coast certainly beat FGW in those instances, so although they still have a couple of restaurants they need to do better on their other services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The misery of expectig a Guard to dispatch one of those long 9-car sets, with manual slam-doors by themself, in the dark, in the rain, and on a platform on a curve, isn't a professional way to manage a railway.

Presumably the station staffing issues are related to ScotRail? How did it used to be done?