• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just finished the Virgin Pendolino breakfast and I have to say that it's a bit disappointing compared to the EC breakfast. I would say the only thing that EC could do with picking up from Virgin is the little black puddings they have and the hash brown as well. Otherwise EC's is a far superior breakfast to the Virgin offering (in terms of quality, size and even taste).

Also a few days ago traveled from Darlington to London on an All-Day service. Drinks (including alcoholic) were offered three times, tea/coffee four or five times. Food wise it was pretty good I had the pork pie with salad. It was large, filling and tasty on the whole very good the only minor gripe is that it would have been nice if they'd served it with chips (especially as I was travelling at a meal time) but can't complain too much as it was did the job well enough. I can supply a picture of it if anyone wants one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
On last train 2200 London KX now to Leeds as far as Donny. Very helpful staff, one sandwich/biscuit run with tea /coffee; cold drinks run after Peterborough followed by tea and coffee again. No alcohol offered though. Not a prob for me as am driving early tomorrow Certainly not a 'rowdy' train. Is this policy for last trains?

Established Member
Is this policy for last trains?

I don't believe it is, unless they have run out on a previous trip. Why not ask for a can when they're passing through?

The only 'restrictions' I'm aware of are the not serving alcohol early in the morning, and also for those doing a journey of 70 minutes or less.

marks87

Established Member
On last train 2200 London KX now to Leeds as far as Donny. Very helpful staff, one sandwich/biscuit run with tea /coffee; cold drinks run after Peterborough followed by tea and coffee again. No alcohol offered though. Not a prob for me as am driving early tomorrow Certainly not a 'rowdy' train. Is this policy for last trains?

I don't believe it is, unless they have run out on a previous trip. Why not ask for a can when they're passing through?

The only 'restrictions' I'm aware of are the not serving alcohol early in the morning, and also for those doing a journey of 70 minutes or less.
It's the weekend, so no free alcohol.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Has a memo gone round or something? I'm on my way to Newcastle right now, and when they made the announcement they mentioned the menu, and the fact it is the All Day offering; they also mentioned it when they came round with the sandwiches. This has never happened before. On my previous trips unless you already knew about it, or had read the menu (when it was there) you wouldn't have know there was anything else on offer other than sandwiches and snacks.

One odd thing though: they took my wine glass away just after Peterborough for some reason. I thought they'd run out or something, but they came round with more wine shortly after and I had some with a new glass.

Waverley21

These website menus say breakfast available until 11 am. Thought you were lucky to get a bacon butty after 9.30.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
These website menus say breakfast available until 11 am. Thought you were lucky to get a bacon butty after 9.30.

The Great British Breakfast (though it's slightly lacking on the great part these days) is served until roughly 0930. From then until 1100 it's mid-morning which means exactly things like bacon buttys. Though I agree the wording on the menu doesn't really make that clear.

Swif_47270

Just travelling on the 12:00 service from Edinburgh in First. Excellent service so far, on departure from Edinburgh drinks were offered and shortly after orders taken for hot food. Food was delivered before Berwick, went for the Roast Tomato Tart. Although not all that filling, it was ample. Sandwiches and cake, along with drinks have been offered after every intermediate station since.

Butts

Veteran Member
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but from my most recent experience I believe East Coast are surpassing Virgin on the catering front.

Virgin Trip Tuesday 3rd July

Outward 1156 S&D to Watford Junction and 2158 return leg same fayre

A little "Afternoon Tea Box" with three sandwiches (finger) and a scone .

Outward Crisps and Cake as well - inward just "box"

1 Drinks run - at least I got a cider and scotch both legs - knew they wouldn't be back :oops:

plus Coffee both ways.

I can feel a letter of complaint for a "£15 Voucher" coming on <D

calc7

Established Member
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but from my most recent experience I believe East Coast are surpassing Virgin on the catering front.

Virgin Trip Tuesday 3rd July

Outward 1156 S&D to Watford Junction and 2158 return leg same fayre

A little "Afternoon Tea Box" with three sandwiches (finger) and a scone .

Outward Crisps and Cake as well - inward just "box"

1 Drinks run - at least I got a cider and scotch both legs - knew they wouldn't be back :oops:

plus Coffee both ways.

I can feel a letter of complaint for a "£15 Voucher" coming on <D

Sadly on the EBW route, the First Class service only properly exists between Euston and Coventry, due to the extremely cheap FDS fares in the West Midlands PTE area.

I don't doubt that, in most instances, the EC "all day" offer in terms of food is better than Virgin's.

Are you counting "one drink run" as one return visit of the trolley? On Virgin it seems customary to run once down, park for 15-30 mins, then once back, which I would count as two.

I have only once been refused additional alcoholic drinks out of the normal service pattern.

The "trick" to maximise your consumption is to get a Rugby stopper towards Euston (xx50 from BHM) and a WFJ stopper towards Birmingham (xx23 from Euston).

Butts

Veteran Member
Sadly on the EBW route, the First Class service only properly exists between Euston and Coventry, due to the extremely cheap FDS fares in the West Midlands PTE area.

I don't doubt that, in most instances, the EC "all day" offer in terms of food is better than Virgin's.

Are you counting "one drink run" as one return visit of the trolley? On Virgin it seems customary to run once down, park for 15-30 mins, then once back, which I would count as two.

I have only once been refused additional alcoholic drinks out of the normal service pattern.

The "trick" to maximise your consumption is to get a Rugby stopper towards Euston (xx50 from BHM) and a WFJ stopper towards Birmingham (xx23 from Euston).

Yes they don't start serving till after Coventry on the way down (to counteract the freeloaders - like me :oops:) and Milton Keynes on the way back.

I "doubled up" on the drink (singular) run as I anticipated no follow up in the restricted timescale.

My own fault for sitting in rearmost coach both ways ( Harry Potter at WB trip with daughter) had to "behave myself" :oops:

calc7

Established Member
Yep, Coach K is your friend on both EC (225s) and VT due to its proximity to the kitchen. It also means you're more likely to get your first choice of food instead of being left with the veggie option nobody wants.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yep, Coach K is your friend on both EC (225s) and VT due to its proximity to the kitchen. It also means you're more likely to get your first choice of food instead of being left with the veggie option nobody wants.

The Virgin AT Box had a vegetarian and meat option - I thought these would have been for AT as it says so on the box ......

I had one at Lunchtime and one in the Late Evening:roll:

psychstud

Hi guys

I'm off up to Scotland next week, 0800 KGX to EDB an expecting a breakfast service in First. What I want to know is whether there'll be an alcohol offering at any point, or only soft drinks during this journey?

Cheers

HST Power

Established Member
Hi guys

I'm off up to Scotland next week, 0800 KGX to EDB an expecting a breakfast service in First. What I want to know is whether there'll be an alcohol offering at any point, or only soft drinks during this journey?

Cheers

Alcohol isn't included as part of the complimentary breakfast offer.

I'm sure the train crew will do a few rounds with the trolley but whether or not it will include alcohol I don't know. Nonetheless, I am sure somebody will!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Hi guys

Cheers

I've had booze before midday on EC, but I'm not usre if you'll be able to get gin to go on your conrflakes :lol:

Apart from anything they don't do cornflakes. Ahem. Anyway, mifght be worth asking- they won't stock it on the breakfast trolley, but might bring it if you're nice to them.

calc7

Established Member
I've done the 0800 all the way through and it was breakfast only.

calc7

Established Member
Don't you get Mid-Morning / Lunch on leaving Newcastle ? (as well)

Nope, it was a week where crews were doing the whole 400 miles. So in classic East Coast style - a great excuse to avoid giving out two servings of food.

First thing we had to do when we got to Edinburgh? Go to M&S to buy lunch...

Butts

Veteran Member
Nope, it was a week where crews were doing the whole 400 miles. So in classic East Coast style - a great excuse to avoid giving out two servings of food.

First thing we had to do when we got to Edinburgh? Go to M&S to buy lunch...

Didn't you even get any biscuits or crisps - you must have arrived in Edinburgh after Noon :p

calc7

Established Member
Didn't you even get any biscuits or crisps - you must have arrived in Edinburgh after Noon :p

Nope, not a sniff. I wrote up a report a while back (early Feb) but will summarise it for the keen reader:

• Coffee then cold drinks and toast etc. after KGX. Breakfast orders taken
  • Breakfast delivered around half an hour in. Request for further drink denied - apparently we have to wait until York. Fantastic, nothing to drink with breakfast. :roll:
  • My complaint got me a begrudgingly-served coffee, but nothing cold
  • Toast and drinks after York
  • Coffee after Darlington
  • Toast and drinks after Newcastle
  • Not a sniff more after that

The thing I find most ridiculous and insulting is the need to "ration" drinks until the next prescribed trolley run. Whatever you think of the food, this certainly doesn't happen on Virgin.

I'm on an Edinburgh to Newcastle train on Friday, what's on the current menu?

What time?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nope, not a sniff. I wrote up a report a while back (early Feb) but will summarise it for the keen reader:

• Coffee then cold drinks and toast etc. after KGX. Breakfast orders taken
  • Breakfast delivered around half an hour in. Request for further drink denied - apparently we have to wait until York. Fantastic, nothing to drink with breakfast. :roll:
  • My complaint got me a begrudgingly-served coffee, but nothing cold
  • Toast and drinks after York
  • Coffee after Darlington
  • Toast and drinks after Newcastle
  • Not a sniff more after that

The thing I find most ridiculous and insulting is the need to "ration" drinks until the next prescribed trolley run. Whatever you think of the food, this certainly doesn't happen on Virgin.

This has impoved recently, to be fair to the crew serving you we were told to stick the 'journey card' no matter what, now we are told we can use discrestion

12:00 off of Edinburgh.

All Day menu on that service, Hot Pork Pie or Broadbean, courgette, greenbean and basil tart. Or if you just want sarnies chicken and lemon mayo or egg mayo with spinach. Honey cake, buscuits and fruit to finish. Drinks runs at Edinbro, Newcastle, York, Newark and Peterbro i think.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pork pie is very nice I have to say. Just a shame at dinner time on the all day menu they can't serve it with something like chips or new potatoes just to make it a bit more of a full meal.

dcd

On 1E30 Aberdeen to Edinburgh. No hot food loaded at Edinburgh on the way up so just Afternoon tea available. At least I have the whole of coach L to myself. Had a reservation in J but it had no power point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dcd

Have had 2 teas,1 orange juice, 1 bottle of water, 4 egg sandwiches, 4 chicken sandwiches, 2 scones a, a packet of biscuits a banana and an apple. Should keep me going for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dave87016

Established Member
Booked on the 17:33pm KGX - LDS on Friday, the hot pork pie doesnt tickle my taste buds, neither does the options except for the egg and cress sarnie, a bit gutted at that really, in the past on the same service ive had Jacket potato with filling, Chicken & Mushroom Pie with chips and salad. both were lovely and filling