• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
Had a trip from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and back today.

I'm not normally a devotee of The Veggie Option however it was the only hot dish offered on the 1028 up.

Can I thoroughly recommend the "Puff Pastry Parcel" (mushroom slice) it is really delectable and one of the best dishes I have ever had on East Coast :o

So good - I had it on the way back as well - looked much better than the alternative British Chicken Breast - god I'll be voting Green next :p

Two booze runs each way - good service !!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leightonbd

It is "A puff pastry parcel filled with chestnut, closed cup and field mushrooms in a rich cream sauce with fresh thyme served with mixed leaf salad"

I had one yesterday evening and it was beautifully prepared, a bit like a croissant with a hot filling, and the pastry soft and fresh - not dried out at all.

Not for anyone who is ravenous - the pork alternative looked a much bigger meal - but as a snack it was really excellent. Plus, in any event, the crew were generous in shifting excess sandwiches on a not very crowded 1830 ex London.

Got five passes of the drinks trolley between London and Edinburgh too. Great journey.

Marionaki

Looking forward to a day trip to York from KX on 23 June at 9.08am. Maybe will order the pancakes if available. On the way back at 18.01 might have the Pea and broad bean hummus. Not thinking about ordering the Brie sandwich, seems it is lacking of Brie! Hopefully there will be a few drink rounds. But as I enjoyed my trip from Edinburgh to London last month, I am sure it will be a nice trip,too.

StrollerEd

Is anyone able to report on the smoked salmon breakfast option? Quality/quantity etc

'Fraid not, I opted for the 'British Breakfast' - and very fine it was too.

I will post a pic, unless that has already been done.

(The one shown just now was one of the last shots of the dinner that was once available in the paid-for restaurant car.)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, it was full marks for the cooked breakfast, and for the inclusion of the spinach extra.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
(The one shown just now was one of the last shots of the dinner that was once available in the paid-for restaurant car.)

I'm rather started that you're still using that picture of mine from what? Two or three years ago? Time flies and all that. T'was taken on an Edinburgh to London service about a week before the restaurant was withdrawn and very tasty it was too and accompanied by a cool cider (not much of wine drinker) after a very hot day meaning it really hit the spot. Won't get anything like that now southbound on an evening :(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have to say, if the mushroom thingy was the only hot thing on the menu, I wouldn't be having it as I dislike mushrooms (the recent macaroni cheese had a few, but they were small enough to not adversely affect the overall taste).

Looking at the restaurant car dinner in the picture above, it looks a bit al dente for my taste. Vegetables should be well cooked and covered in gravy IMO.

Butts

Veteran Member
Having had a "Virgin Breakfast" this morning on the 0800 from Glasgow Central to Preston I still think they have the edge for two main reasons.....

1. "real fried egg" (rather than reconstituted scrambled)

2. It is served "Silver Service" rather than plated

plus of course BP - when are EC going to bring it in :cry:

However I have to report the fabled "toast famine" has spread (at least today) from EC.....Virgin have now started cutting the slices in half (new to me). They only came around once on a 2 hour journey, probably because the meal was not served until we were almost in Carlisle.

philjo

Established Member
Having had a "Virgin Breakfast" this morning on the 0800 from Glasgow Central to Preston I still think they have the edge for two main reasons.....

1. "real fried egg" (rather than reconstituted scrambled)

2. It is served "Silver Service" rather than plated

My last 2 EC breakfasts were served silver service (if ordering the full English breakfast) - on one occasion the chef served it to me & did a second trip to give everyone extra potatoes.

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm off in a jaunt down to Newcastle next week and I must admit neither noodles or the tart are exactly jumping out at me. And what is the obsession with spinach and slaws these days?

trainophile

Established Member
We're off on our trip KGX-INV this coming Tuesday, back Friday, on the two direct trains of the day, i.e. 1200 ex-KGX and 0755 ex-INV.

Anyone know what meals/snacks we can expect, and what rota is on this week? Hope it's the mushroom thing as OH is a veggie.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
We're off on our trip KGX-INV this coming Tuesday, back Friday, on the two direct trains of the day, i.e. 1200 ex-KGX and 0755 ex-INV.

Anyone know what meals/snacks we can expect, and what rota is on this week? Hope it's the mushroom thing as OH is a veggie.
The mushroom pastry was last week. It's been the mushroom & spinach lasagne this week (I've had 4 of them!), so next week it will be the cheese and red onion compote tart.

The southbound journey will begin with the cooked breakfasts (a vegetarian option is available, with mushrooms!) and then lunches being offered after Edinburgh, and again thereafter for those who prefer to eat later; that will be the cheese and red onion compote tart again.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Is anyone able to report on the smoked salmon breakfast option? Quality/quantity etc

The salmon is nice, as is the omelette (more of a scrambled egg if we're honest) but the hollandaise sauce just overpowers everything and ruins it. The muffin ended up a bit soggy too.

Chrism20

Established Member
Well I was down and back to Darlo today and tried both the Gruyère Tart and the noodles.

The tart - nice soft pastry shell filled with a half pound of melted cheese with a great big dollop of compote which is really just caramelised red onion jam. I give it 3/5

The noodles - are cold which means in rotation four there is only one hot dish. They were actually very nice although they don't look too appealing when served. The soy sauce is served in a small tub with a lid which is a good idea and there was a reasonable amount of chicken through it. Tbh it's the type of thing you would put in a tub at Sainsbury's salad bar rather than a sit down order but in comparison to the tart it was top notch. 4/5

I think the cake was a bit if a let down compared to recent ones and they appear to have put it on a diet as the slices are definitely thinner

Last edited:

dcsprior

I've now had all four vegetarian main meals on the evening menu and enjoyed them all very much, including the Gruyere tart I finished a few minutes ago.

I was glad to see the back of the old menu which had something spicy as the veggie option three weeks out of four.

I'm not a fan of the new veggie breakfast, and have mentioned this to EC via Facebook, but the caramelised pancakes (available every second week) partly make up for it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm happy, my East Coast Reward points balance has just gone over 450 points :)

I feel a First Class 2-day trip to Scotland coming soon, East Coast on the way up, across to Glasgow (via Newcraighall branch) then a Virgin service down the west coast

Last edited:

Marionaki

Had a lovely day trip to York today. Weather was perfect and the crew on the 9.08 from KX were really nice. Had 3 cups of coffee, juice, water and a savoury pastry (which was very tasty) and I ordered the pancakes. They were ok, but probably would not order again. On the way back at 18.01 from York, the crew was again very nice and I had coffee,water, crisps, cake and three tumblers of wine and I ordered the pea and broad bean houmous. Very nice and filling! And an hour and a half later I was asked if I wanted more food! But had to decline, I was full.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just sitting on a service at the moment and people have got on at the next stop and there is nothing left.

Now I wonder if this recent ruling will also apply to East Coast as it sounds very similar as you cannot purchase a no-food first class ticket.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06/22/holiday-inn-express-cannot-call-breakfast-free/

That ruling is ludicrous as express by Holiday Inn was renowned at the "Budget End" of the market for including firstly a continental and then adding hot items. Anyone with nous would realise they are comparing themselves to Travelodge / Premier Inn.

Chrism20

Established Member
That ruling is ludicrous as express by Holiday Inn was renowned at the "Budget End" of the market for including firstly a continental and then adding hot items. Anyone with nous would realise they are comparing themselves to Travelodge / Premier Inn.

True but the same comparison can be drawn to a East Coast. The passenger opposite was pretty much told tough and the member of staff laughed - and I am not kidding laughed when the passenger said he expected something complimentary from the buffet instead.

Based on that ruling your complimentary food in first class isn't complimentary and is built into the fare so for a lack of food should compensation therefore not be forthcoming.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
True but the same comparison can be drawn to a East Coast. The passenger opposite was pretty much told tough and the member of staff laughed - and I am not kidding laughed when the passenger said he expected something complimentary from the buffet instead.

Based on that ruling your complimentary food in first class isn't complimentary and is built into the fare so for a lack of food should compensation therefore not be forthcoming.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/first says:

East Coast said:
Please note, we aim to deliver our complimentary offer on all journeys. However we may substitute some items on the menu at our discretion. Items are offered subject to availability. On shorter journeys (of 70 minutes or less) we will endeavour to provide complimentary drinks and snacks.

Chrism20

Established Member
Originally Posted by East Coast
Please note, we aim to deliver our complimentary offer on all journeys. However we may substitute some items on the menu at our discretion. Items are offered subject to availability. On shorter journeys (of 70 minutes or less) we will endeavour to provide complimentary drinks and snacks.

Yeah I am aware of what it says but factoring in the HIX ruling it's a different ballgame if it were to be ruled that it is included in the price. If it is/was/were the passenger therefore has a case as the advertised product has not been provided.

The passenger in question this morning was not impressed and I don't blame him and considering that EC were not allowing First Class reservations for the service three days ago and stating on the booking site that the service was very busy it's clear the train was underloaded.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am in love with the mushroom pasty. It's by far the best thing EC have done in ages. The chicken is pretty poor tbh and the slice of bread instead of a roll smacks of cost cutting.

The breakfast has also took a nosedive recently. The potato cake and frittata are woeful

johntea

Established Member
At the risk of sounding like an alcoholic, I'm travelling from Leeds to London on the 10:45 first class this Friday.

Will the free booze be on offer during my journey? Since I'm sort of between the mid morning and the all day offer :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At the risk of sounding like an alcoholic, I'm travelling from Leeds to London on the 10:45 first class this Friday.

Will the free booze be on offer during my journey? Since I'm sort of between the mid morning and the all day offer :D
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/travel-information/timetable-information/weekdays-southbound/ shows its the All Day menu.

There is nothing "between" mid morning and all day, as all day comes after mid morning!

I don't think alcohol will be provided (and I believe it shouldn't be, for obvious reasons) as it's advertised "from lunchtime" which I'd assume to mean 1200 onwards. By 1200 they'll be packing up.

However, I could be wrong.

I'll be on the 1059 York-King's Cross on Wednesday so I'll let you know...