• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Was looking forward to travelling 1st today, but no menus had been put out - there seemed to be a restricted service with the host listing available items. I was surprised they seemed to be the breakfast menu as it was after 12.

I asked if I could have anything vegan and he said he'd see what there was. Looking on the online menu there's 4 vegan options on both the breakfast and all day menus. Finally had a "Feel Good Snack Box" delivered which doesn't seem to be on any of the menus. Looks interesting but an odd selection - small pot of hummus, packet of olives, 2 oatcakes and a small chocolate bar.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Was looking forward to travelling 1st today, but no menus had been put out - there seemed to be a restricted service with the host listing available items. I was surprised they seemed to be the breakfast menu as it was after 12.

I asked if I could have anything vegan and he said he'd see what there was. Looking on the online menu there's 4 vegan options on both the breakfast and all day menus. Finally had a "Feel Good Snack Box" delivered which doesn't seem to be on any of the menus. Looks interesting but an odd selection - small pot of hummus, packet of olives, 2 oatcakes and a small chocolate bar.
At least you got something half decent, it's still a bit disappointing how inconsistent things are.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Waiting with bated breath to see if I'll be offered breakfast, rest of day or indeed just coffee and biscuits on the 9:00 Edinburgh to York this coming Sunday, short notice last minute split fare journey with a a hang around of 1-hour 50 minutes at York followed by a Northern to Leeds and and another LNER onwards. The irony that there might be some hitherto as yet unknown catering fast that would mean I'd be offered breakfast on the afternoon train from Leeds to kings cross has not escaped me.

williamn

A grand total of two Northbound trains have the full cooked breakfast, which is pretty poor compared to Avanti. Shame very few (2 I think) of the long distance (beyond Edinburgh) services have Dine. I know very few people go 'all the way' but I do on occasion, and getting a full meal on the 7.5 hours from Aberdeen used to be an incentive to take the train.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Is there any way to know whether the Breakfast or Rest of Day menu will be used on any particular train. I'm on a train due to depart between 11 and 12.

Breakfast says it will be served until around 11.00 - 12.00

Rest of day says it be be served from around 11.00 - 12.00

They also seem to have some dishes in the printed menu marked as Vegan which aren't (such as the Cheese, Tomato and Mushroom Ciabatta) and GF option which isn't shown on the internet version (which does show some GF options).

EDIT: We were asked if we wanted some breakfast, but were told we could order off the Rest of the Day menu when I tried to order breakfast.

Rather bizarrely we boarded Coach D which had our correct reservations. At some point this has become Coach K - and my companion's seat is now booked by someone else for part of the journey.

Is this normal?

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Is there any way to know whether the Breakfast or Rest of Day menu will be used on any particular train. I'm on a train due to depart between 11 and 12.

Breakfast says it will be served until around 11.00 - 12.00

Rest of day says it be be served from around 11.00 - 12.00

They also seem to have some dishes in the printed menu marked as Vegan which aren't (such as the Cheese, Tomato and Mushroom Ciabatta) and GF option which isn't shown on the internet version (which does show some GF options).
There are PDFs on the website with the menu onboard each train. Bear in mind they could change at short notice.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There are PDFs on the website with the menu onboard each train. Bear in mind they could change at short notice.
I know. But they don't tell you if they serve the Breakfast or Rest of the Day Menu. The menus on tables have both listed, but an hour or so overlap in their times - and there's always only one of the two available.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I know. But they don't tell you if they serve the Breakfast or Rest of the Day Menu. The menus on tables have both listed, but an hour or so overlap in their times - and there's always only one of the two available.
In that case there will probably be an announcement from the catering crew specifying what one is being served. It wouldn't hurt asking on social media either.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In that case there will probably be an announcement from the catering crew specifying what one is being served. It wouldn't hurt asking on social media either.
As I said above, there wasn't. It's just nice to know what your options are before they come to ask you. It seems to defeat the idea of putting a menu out.
Are they likely to know on social media? I can ask there next time if they are.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
As I said above, there wasn't. It's just nice to know what your options are before they come to ask you. It seems to defeat the idea of putting a menu out.
Are they likely to know on social media? I can ask there next time if they are.
That is quite strange that they didn't do an announcement regarding the menus, which I'm pretty sure should happen.

The social media team do have the ability to find out what menu is on each train, so they should be able to clarify what portion they'll be serving.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
That is quite strange that they didn't do an announcement regarding the menus, which I'm pretty sure should happen.

The social media team do have the ability to find out what menu is on each train, so they should be able to clarify what portion they'll be serving.
When I went the other way at the end of last week we just had the options provided by the host who seemed to be struggling to remember what was available.

At the moment, all the trains I seem to catching depart between 1100 and 1200 -- outside those times it's fairly obvious.

Sleepy

Established Member
Disappointed to see hot breakfast options (except bacon roll) are now only available on a small number of departures. Won't encourage me to travel in 1st class in future (and I haven't sampled Azuma seats yet ...) I'll reserve final judgement until after my next journey in a few weeks time.

williamn

Upgraded to first on the 09.30 yesterday, and found rather bizarrely that they were serving the all day menu and not breakfast. The poor crew were so apologetic. Everyone, nor surprisingly, wanted breakfast at 09.30 and not beef stew!

I guess by the time the train got to newcastle it was lunchtime, but almost all passengers got on in London.

Butts

Veteran Member
Disappointed to see hot breakfast options (except bacon roll) are now only available on a small number of departures. Won't encourage me to travel in 1st class in future (and I haven't sampled Azuma seats yet ...) I'll reserve final judgement until after my next journey in a few weeks time.

If you are used to HST "Armchairs" the Azuma "Ironing Boards" are quite a come down.

Never mind the great "Breakfast Dilemma" travel on a later service with complimentary booze to calm your nerves and mitigate the disappointment !!

Dantheman05

I missed the lack of mushrooms....

It does say....

I too would like to know which menu is on which train. Before, you could get on any morning train and (almost) be guaranteed a cooked breakfast. Now it looks like some (who know how many) might only have the more limited menu. I only travel with them a few times a year, and rarely in the mornings, so the option of a cooked breakfast when I do is something of importance to me.
They've updated it now

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-19-23-08-55-853_mega.privacy.android.app.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-19-23-08-55-853_mega.privacy.android.app.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 96

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Don't know if I'm unlucky or LNER are still struggling, but yesterday we had s reduced breakfast offer again, with no menus out and the staff member trying to remember what there was available. The avocado on toast was unavailable, so I just had the tiny seed cake.

Today we've no menus out. Fingers crossed for what we get.

Veteran Member
First time since Before COVID
1110 LDS-KGX yesterday, 5-car. Food trolley followed by hot dish followed by cold and hot drinks close together. I would have preferred the cold drink before my meal arrived.
Beef stew is nice and an adequate portion - or would have been with a sensible amount of veg. Lunch at 1130 is an acquired taste :)
Coach was about 1/3 full by KGX
Second coffee later was welcome.
1903 Down tonight (Mk4 set ✓):
Drinks before main course this time ✓
The pork cheeks are nice and come with reasonable amounts of veg. Cheese was good, would have liked more crackers.
Coffee and second glass of wine after PBO✓
Coach about 1/3 full.
No complaints about service :). Annoyingly - and nothing Sunday's train was reverse-formed (routed via Hambleton, so not totally surprising) but stations weren't informed :(
OTOH being offered the end of the bottle.... :)

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
1030 KX - York today , it used to be called the "Flying Scotsman" - travelling on a pass so no "free food" - but there is an option to purchase for a modest flat charge. Train advised as fully reserved and it was , to be fair, very busy.

The meal offer on departure was "lunch" ....yes , lunch. Hardly anyone entitled partook. Happy enough with a coffee and a shortbread , but the menu was hardly inspiring.

Return on the 1530 , again a very busy train and tea very welcome and there were 2 passes of the cold drinks service.

(one looks back onto the superlative , paid for , service that GNER used to provide) .....

Scotrail314209

Established Member
1030 KX - York today , it used to be called the "Flying Scotsman" - travelling on a pass so no "free food" - but there is an option to purchase for a modest flat charge. Train advised as fully reserved and it was , to be fair, very busy.

The meal offer on departure was "lunch" ....yes , lunch. Hardly anyone entitled partook. Happy enough with a coffee and a shortbread , but the menu was hardly inspiring.

Return on the 1530 , again a very busy train and tea very welcome and there were 2 passes of the cold drinks service.

(one looks back onto the superlative , paid for , service that GNER used to provide) .....
I have noticed the Scotland services do seem to be particularly well loaded in First Class now. It’s not uncommon seeing a busy train with some seats being spare in standard, but First Class being full.

I never saw that happen much with the older stock.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
That's because their cunning ploy to get people to pay out for first class to get a comfortable seat is working. The the instruments of torture provided for standard are simply unfit for a journey of of this length, and I am particularly well padded and still say that. Quite what these things are like for your average size 6 model is beyond comfort to think about. By the way I know this is off topic but does anyone have MK4 diagrams and will they change after the may timetable change

Falcon1200

Established Member

I was on the same train from Newcastle to Edinburgh, First Class was still busy but I managed to find an empty 4-seat bay in the rear carriage. Regular catering service for most of the journey.

devon_metro

Established Member
I have noticed the Scotland services do seem to be particularly well loaded in First Class now. It’s not uncommon seeing a busy train with some seats being spare in standard, but First Class being full.

I never saw that happen much with the older stock.

Is there not a reduction in seats on the 9 car Azumas? I believe there are 101 first class seats compared to ~130 on a Mk4 set?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Is there not a reduction in seats on the 9 car Azumas? I believe there are 101 first class seats compared to ~130 on a Mk4 set?
There are yes.

Remember a lot of First Class space is taken up by the galley and the half carriage in Coach K, so really only two coaches of First Class compared to three on a MK4.

TheBigD

Established Member
There are yes.

Remember a lot of First Class space is taken up by the galley and the half carriage in Coach K, so really only two coaches of First Class compared to three on a MK4.
Add to that coach M seems to be an unofficial mess room for LNER staff. Only 18 first class seats in it yet staff and off duty staff seem to think it's their mess room.

Didn't Avanti have similar issues over on the WCML with coach K on the Pendolinos?