• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And no doubt there will be more money saving in January when they force Veganuary on everybody again.

The "Veganuary" menu from January this year included the "Full LNER breakfast with Lincolnshire sausage, bacon and egg", "Roast Chicken with roast potatoes and a sherry and shallot sauce" and "Hog Roast Sausage Roll", with no vegan dessert option.

I'm not sure what's being forced on people, there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would you get a meal / food on these Dundee to Edinburgh LNER trains ?

16:10 - 17:19 on Wednesday 3rd January 2024 (Dish)

19:34 - 20:43 on Wednesday 3rd January 2024 (Deli)
Very unlikely to get a meal. I'd expect drinks and snacks at most.
Paupers' menu trotted out for the whole of December by LNER again! No cooked breakfast again! Glad I travelled in October now, even though it would have been nice to have been in York during the Christmas events.

Classic :rolleyes:

It never felt wholly unreasonable for the week between Christmas and New Year to be cut back both from the point of reduced volume of passengers but also to help cover for holidays amongst the catering crew(!). But the whole month is a micky take. Especially considering they always announce it long after people will have booked expecting the full offer not this reduced "festive" menu.

D6130

Established Member
I'm travelling first class from York to Edinburgh at 12 35 for the Forum meal on 22nd December, so I hope there's still some ravioli left at that stage of the journey!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm travelling first class from York to Edinburgh at 12 35 for the Forum meal on 22nd December, so I hope there's still some ravioli left at that stage of the journey!
Similarly I'd had timed my journey north for the same meal on the basis it would be a full breakfast service from Darlington (though already in hope rather than expectation!). Guess it's a bacon roll for me now :rolleyes:

Willie Bee

Very unlikely to get a meal. I'd expect drinks and snacks at most.
Thanks for your reply.

In the end, I just booked the standard fare home from Dundee, at 16:10 which worked out at £12.50 total, for my wife and I (with railcard discount)
However, I did book first class for the outward journey, which was £22.50, a pretty good deal I think. If we get a cuppa too, it'll be a bonus.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It never felt wholly unreasonable for the week between Christmas and New Year to be cut back both from the point of reduced volume of passengers but also to help cover for holidays amongst the catering crew(!). But the whole month is a micky take. Especially considering they always announce it long after people will have booked expecting the full offer not this reduced "festive" menu.
It's not even that for me, it's the fact there's adverts on their website and social media pages to actually glamorise it as if it's something customers ought to be excited by. Perhaps they don't need to openly declare that the menu over the festive period is a cutback, but it's cheeky to actually go the other way and make out it's an exciting upgrade on the current offer.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's not even that for me, it's the fact there's adverts on their website and social media pages to actually glamorise it as if it's something customers ought to be excited by. Perhaps they don't need to openly declare that the menu over the festive period is a cutback, but it's cheeky to actually go the other way and make out it's an exciting upgrade on the current offer.
Yep that's also a good point! Whole thing is pretty rubbish really.

KGX

Paupers' menu trotted out for the whole of December by LNER again! No cooked breakfast again! Glad I travelled in October now, even though it would have been nice to have been in York during the Christmas events.

Not the case. I’ve travelled on the Christmas menu and some services offer an additional breakfast menu incl full cooked breakfast. Not sure why they aren’t advertising this.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Done LNER First Class again on the 1930 Kings X - Edinburgh.

Very attentive hosts between London and Newcastle, food orders taken at Finsbury Park and delivered relatively quickly after (by Stevenage). Several drinks runs throughout, with the Newcastle crew even doing an additional hot drinks on departure from Darlington (where the Newcastle crew have started to clear things away).

I opted for the ravioli, which was incredibly appetising and also rather filling, followed by the chocolate and hazelnut pot for after. I wanted to try the Bailey’s truffles but they didn’t load any.

Hosts were quite good with the snacks as with every hot drinks run you got offered another shortbread, alongside the usual crisps and brownies.

I was hoping for seconds north of Newcastle, but the assigned crew didn’t make it to Newcastle in time for the train back north.

Altogether, it was a very good journey.

Jturner98

Hi everyone, never been on first class in LNER before. I'm planning a trip to York in April and just have a few questions. I'll be catching the 09:06 from Kings Cross going and the 12:02 from York returning. So how does the food work with first class? Do you go to the buffet car and order what you want? I was told its complementary. Or do they have a trolley that comes to your seat? also is it unlimited? I'll be traveling on a 225 set if that makes a difference. Thanks :)

Blinkbonny

It's supposed to be delivered by trolley and is , except in very exceptional circumstances. No, it is by no means unlimited. You get what you're offered, and that can vary considerably, depending on the staff and their stock.
There's usually some kind of choice available, but nothing is set in stone.

gaillark

Hi everyone, never been on first class in LNER before. I'm planning a trip to York in April and just have a few questions. I'll be catching the 09:06 from Kings Cross going and the 12:02 from York returning. So how does the food work with first class? Do you go to the buffet car and order what you want? I was told its complementary. Or do they have a trolley that comes to your seat? also is it unlimited? I'll be traveling on a 225 set if that makes a difference. Thanks :)
Don't expect too much.
Its one of their Deli menu trains. Very basic and limited choice.
Food on LNER is getting poorer such as very limited rations and more inferior service. There are some very good crews and some just average. Gone are the days pre covid where this would be a full breakfast service train.
All first class catering is at seat.

DJCC

I was in first class from Kings Cross to Darlington last night - 1830 departure, I chose it as it was advertised as full menu. No hot food due to 'staff shortages' - just sandwiches, salad box, crisps and a chocolate mousse thing.

Crew were lovely as always but it does seem hard to justify the extra surcharge when it's just a few snacks you could pull together from Waitrose on the platform for a few quid.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I was in first class from Kings Cross to Darlington last night - 1830 departure, I chose it as it was advertised as full menu. No hot food due to 'staff shortages' - just sandwiches, salad box, crisps and a chocolate mousse thing.

Crew were lovely as always but it does seem hard to justify the extra surcharge when it's just a few snacks you could pull together from Waitrose on the platform for a few quid.
The Baileys truffle that is on the menu also fails to materialise on most occasions - a shame as it is generally really nice.

D6130

Established Member
I was on 1S12, 12 35 York-Edinburgh (10 30 ex-KGX) yesterday. The burrata & spinach ravioli were exquisite....just a shame that there wasn't about three times as much. The chocolate and hazelnut mousse was also very tasty....but again somewhat lacking in the quantity department.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I was on 1S12, 12 35 York-Edinburgh (10 30 ex-KGX) yesterday. The burrata & spinach ravioli were exquisite....just a shame that there wasn't about three times as much. The chocolate and hazelnut mousse was also very tasty....but again somewhat lacking in the quantity department.
The ravioli really was lovely, I hope it stays but I agree that they should increase the portion size.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, I agree the Ravioli is good, and certainly popular in my experience, but the portion size is smaller than what one might expect from a starter.

Service quality has been very variable lately; I've had some great service on some trains in recent months, however a recent journey from Edinburgh to York, which was a scheduled journey time of over 3 hours, saw just one cold drink run, one hot drink run, and one offering of food, and no service at all after somewhere around Berwick. The coaches were also in a poor state in terms of accumulated rubbish and lack of cleaning before boarding, and this remained the case during the journey.

Today I asked before boarding at the origin if a full catering service would be available; I was told yes, so chose not to buy anything from station shops. However, just before we departed, we were told there would be a "very limited" offering; in the event this turned out to be just biscuits and crisps only!

Also in the first class lounge, anyone who had questions for onward destinations was told to ask elsewhere as they were "only LNER"; I intervened and answered any such questions for the short while I was there. I don't understand why people accept customer facing roles and then aren't helpful; even when I am not at work, I want to help people, so I think some people are just in the wrong job, and this demonstrates a failing at the time of recruitment, as well as a lack of performance management, which is endemic across the entire industry, with LNER being among the least bad, but not immune, to this deep-rooted problem.

It's a shame because, overall, I would say LNER is one of the better TOCs in this area, and most staff members are good and do care. But it's not consistent.

westv

Established Member
The other day I saw a couple of pictures of the 1st class meals from 2018 and the plate size is definitely larger than they currently use.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Went out for a quick spin on the 1900 Edinburgh to Newcastle.

Staff didn't seem all that enthusiastic, but they were quite prompt at getting service started with food orders taken by Wallyford and delivered by the time we stopped in Dunbar. I opted for the ravioli (again) which was outstanding as always. I had the chocolate pot for dessert, which again was very good... just it only lasted me three mouthfuls.

Snacks were very limited with there being no crisps or biscuits onboard at all, just that absolutely disgusting Love Corn stuff, which nobody took and the hosts have never seemed keen to offer it in the first place.

The Baileys Truffle was nowhere to be seen again, but I overheard one of the hosts telling one of the other passengers (who were quite let down by the lack of snack choice on offer) that they weren't loading very many of them, and that they had to be pulled from trains in order to conserve stock for Christmas Eve.

One thing I think LNER should've done was not put the Baileys truffle on the menu, especially if they've only ordered a limited amount of them. It would help to avoid disappointment.

Drinks were fairly prompt, with cold drinks finished by Drem and hot drinks done by Dunbar, with an additional cold drinks service on departure from Berwick-upon-Tweed. I opted for the Christmas Cosmo, which was very nice.

I have to admit, the Christmas menu is getting a bit mundane, so I hope the new offer in January is vastly improved.

williamn

I was on an Aberdeen to London train recently and they had a whole bag of the Bailey’s truffles but no one was asking for them as it was made clear it was that OR the chocolate pot, and a couple of chocolates versus an actual dessert isn’t a hard choice to make.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I was on an Aberdeen to London train recently and they had a whole bag of the Bailey’s truffles but no one was asking for them as it was made clear it was that OR the chocolate pot, and a couple of chocolates versus an actual dessert isn’t a hard choice to make.
I hate that sort of stinginess. Train companies will of course advertise First Class as a premium service and charge you accordingly, but at the same time what you actually get offered in my opinion is often falling short of this so called premium standard of service.

I question how much money this approach saves companies such as LNER. I'm guessing very little.

williamn

I hate that sort of stinginess. Train companies will of course advertise First Class as a premium service and charge you accordingly, but at the same time what you actually get offered in my opinion is often falling short of this so called premium standard of service.

I question how much money this approach saves companies such as LNER. I'm guessing very little.
Indeed, whereas being offered a special chocolate with your coffee AFTER dessert would make everyone feel a tiny bit special.

greyman42

Established Member
Indeed, whereas being offered a special chocolate with your coffee AFTER dessert would make everyone feel a tiny bit special.
Yes, sometimes you would think that the cost was coming out of the crews own pockets.

Halwynd

Yes, sometimes you would think that the cost was coming out of the crews own pockets.

Some years ago, a friend worked as a Purser for a now defunct airline. The company had a policy which allowed members of cabin crew to take home any food items that were left over after each flight. On many an occasion we had meals served in the airline's dark blue plastic trays. At one point, I remember a lemon-based dessert being quite popular amongst cabin crew, to such an extent that the crew put in their 'order' before what stocks remained were served to passengers!

Of course, just to be clear, I'm sure that this doesn't happen on the railway.

Veteran Member
I had booked the Up Chieftain today from Waverley to York anticipating that the Dine menu would be on offer and it was. First was pretty full on departure, and service reasonably prompt, nothing to complain about - two rounds of food and drink, with quite a few passengers opting for lunch after Newcastle rather than before (you might have got away with both if you were brazen, I suppose).

I have the new Mushroom Pie and veg, which was very nice if a wee bit soggy, followed by the pseudo-chocolate sponge with (coconut milk?) "custard" - the latter being on the bitter side for my tastes (why have custard with a melting sponge anyway, my wife asked) but the sponge was good.
Portion sizes were reasonable, but as usual not pub-grub size (I hadn't done a long walk to build up an appetite anyway) so I shall need to eat more than a slice of toast this evening.
I also sampled the Dry January cocktail - a nice change - rather than my usual second glass of wine.
(Just for info - I am not a vegetarian/vegan, but I am happy to eat veggie, especially after a weekend sampling Edinburgh's restaurants.)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Are they doing a totally vegan menu again for January and probably most of the way towards Easter like they did last year? That mushroom pie sounds delicious but again a controversial choice to put on a menu on a train with a limited menu given the there are quite a few people I know that cannot stand mushrooms, these individuals deserve every ounce of pity I can find for them as they are delicious