• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

HH

Established Member
Possibly there's a missing comma? onion bhajis, sandwiches

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

graham43404

I wish EC would ditch these chuffin Onion Bahji sandwiches and have just the ploughmans, egg or even just cheese and onion sandwiches. As the sole veggie option and hating anything like that its just crisps and biscuits for me.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don't think I could stomach an onion bhaji sandwich. That's probably one of the more obscure and odd food items you'll find on a train.

I thought VT's ox cheek, and pumpkin risottos were strange.

philjo

Established Member
It was the choice between the onion bhaji sandwiches or egg bacon & tomato ones today. I had the latter though I had already had bacon & egg for breakfast in the hotel in Leeds.
Though lucky I got anything as at Doncaster 1st class was declassified due to a failed HST terminating so the Leeds train took the passengers onwards to London (diesel dragged from Newark via Lincoln). The staff had rushed the trolley through before Doncaster to make sure we were served before it was declassified.

Someone was also handing out a survey before we got to Doncaster asking about what we thought about East Coast services in general (it covered purchasing tickets, the stations, plus the on board catering etc). It also asked if you were more or less likely to use first class with the new 1st class offering. There wasn't really a box for genereal comments but I did write in a commment about the lack of weekday evening meals available on southbound services.

Welshman

Established Member
Just to add my tuppence worth -

On the 1035 Leeds-KX today there was no catering whatever in 1st or standard.

Apparently it was a scratch HST set [ex East Midlands] covering for an early train failure.

After being on the receiving end of several complaints, the conductor brought bottles of Harrogate water to those in First. He did his best. But that was it.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The rapid turnaround at Kings Cross is just too tight when services are disrupted (as every day this week). The consequence is lack of stock, unprepared coaches and rushed staff. Tonight for example, no menus, no chicken dish, no vegetables, and no chef.

On another matter though, pasenger numbers are higher tonight and staff are in good form for this less than advertised offering.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
what actually are they serving you then dave?
the only hot option , the feta tartlet with a very few green leaves and then more cheese for dessert. There were enough portions of sweet loaded for one coach but no butter or spread.
The drinks and sandwiches were loaded too.

This really is a consequence of the lack of resilience in their timetable. I bet its the same tomorrow (but I'm not travelling tomo.)
But since the restaurant car was abandoned I always eat my proper evening meal when I get home now.

Last edited:
I think in this case its the no chef part which has resulted in the no chicken and no veg part and nothing to do with the short turnaround, its more than likley on board, its just they cant cook it.
When i say they cant cook it, i mean due to health and safety rules they are not allowed to cook it. Without a chef pre May 22nd the restaurant service would also have been cancelled (at least main courses would).

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I think in this case its the no chef part . . . . . and nothing to do with the short turnaround,

When i say they cant cook it, i mean due to health and safety rules they are not allowed to cook it. . . . .
I understand that distinction and appreciate it, thanks. However, on this evening's service, it was a matter of a lack of supplies having been loaded and unloaded at Kings Cross (which required additional modules from the previous run to also be unloaded at the terminus). I'd prefer not to ID the services but this evening there was a crew member qualified to cook in lieu of the chef, but who had not the stock available; though that may not have been the case earlier in the week.

BTW. I have had it explained to me that the exceptionally tight turnarounds this week are being attributed to school half-term, at which time young people are more prone to play dangerously on railway property. Alledgedly.

Anyway. Stop pestering me, I'm cooking a meal.

OK sorry, fair enough. All the evening meal stock should go into 2 modules, maybe be 3 if reservations are high so even on a tight turnaround RG shouldnt bugger it up, they should be platform side as the train arrives, it all pre ordered stock which RG has at least 24hrs in advance. I thought chefs had to wear their whites but it could be an apron will do if said person is trained.
Indeed the other day we were delayed with children on the line at South Elmsall, i hope none of them pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
wel a bit OT, but just done a megabus move back to Scotland and at Preston, the most amazing home made sandwitches were being offered for sale by a lady who litterally jums onboard during the short time on stand and along with a range of cold drinks and snacks and good prices provides a great service. RG take note!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I don't feel any inclination to defend RG, but I do acknowledge the sheer scale of their operation, most of which is quite invisible to most if not all passengers. To get some idea, just the size of the platform-level site at Kings Cross (half way down Plat 9) and the number of modules being loaded, stored, prepped, cleaned and so on and the number of staff performing the work, checking it and managing the platform movements is quite staggering.

And that's just Kings Cross. There's stores, staff and plant all over the country.

I'm not persualded that their operation is as dependable, as adaptable and as efficient as it could be - no where near it, I think they've adopted some poor procedures - but it would be wrong to think of it as a trivial operation; its a lot more work than just supplying a few restaurants and cafes!

As I receive personalised emails from EC hoping I've enjoyed my journey (as if a computer sending emails can experience 'hope'!) and inviting comments, I have been wondering if anyone from the company's management would have the courtesy to confirm on here that they read this thread. After all, its all about them, and its the comments that they're asking for. A quick 'thanks for the feedback' would be nice!
Is there anybody out there? (from EC or RG management)?

Last edited:

Established Member
Couple of weekends ago travelled down to York 1st class (was 20p dearer than a standard advance when I booked). Used one of the tips Dave said and sat near to the buffet instead of going all the way down to coach M - worked a treat. First offer was a ham croissant, quite nice but would have been better warm not chilled. Only one offering of tea and coffee, which was before Durham. None after that so anyone getting on at Durham or Darlo must have been thirsty.

StrollerEd

a now rare but positive report from me:

travling on the 08.00 from Edinburgh, with FC single on the EC train. Late departure due to safety checks. Coffee served promptly. Full English Breakfast was good.

all in all, good but 35 minutes late into York (my destination)

graham43404

Yesterday on the all day menu they had veggie shepards pie served with dressed lettuce, lovely it was as well :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It would have been nicer if they had a meat based shepards pie to go with it as well (for us meat eaters ;)).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would guess so. By having the all day hot options being vegetable based they don't have to provide a different vegetarian option, like they would if the all day hot was meat based. As well as veg being a bit cheaper than meat I would guess.

Personally I would simply change the all day offer to have two hot options, a meat dish and vegetable dish. In this case the obvious one is to have vegetable shepards pie and beef mince shepards pie. Almost the same dish but keeps everyone happy and should still be fairly simple for the supply chain to deal with.

I would guess so. By having the all day hot options being vegetable based they don't have to provide a different vegetarian option, like they would if the all day hot was meat based. As well as veg being a bit cheaper than meat I would guess.

Personally I would simply change the all day offer to have two hot options, a meat dish and vegetable dish. In this case the obvious one is to have vegetable shepards pie and beef mince shepards pie. Almost the same dish but keeps everyone happy and should still be fairly simple for the supply chain to deal with.

You will have your wish ainsworth as of the menu change a week on Monday (21st), there will be a hot meat and hot vegy option on the all day menu, the salads will be withdrawn, with the meat options served with chips. I havent seen the new menus yet put ive been told porridge will be permanently on the breakfast menu.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
*Picks jaw up from desk in front of him*

You mean EC actually listened to some of the many complaints that have been voiced! Well blimey that sounds much better.

If you're kidding YorkshireRider... :x

;)

Bungle73

On Moderation
I kinda liked the salads actually, but I realise they may not have been what a lot of people were after. The thing I worry about chips on a train is, will they actually be edible? Apart from that, sounds good.

sidmouth

Yesterday I caught the 11.49 from Peterborough to Kings Cross for £124 return and was just offered a coffee and a biscuit. So when I realised that was my lot I then went to the cafe bar for a sandwich but was then told that was closed for stock taking.

I thought the 70 minute rule had been relaxed (according to Elaine Holt in a recent Modern Railway edition) but apparently not!