• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Northwestern removing First Class from May?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The senior conductor was enforcing it on the 05:53 from Tring yesterday. He announced it and a lot of people got up and left the area.
We've not been officially told to declassify first class yet, so some staff will continue to enforce. I didn't enforce yesterday, no point now with doors isolated open

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Not all seem to have had that done yet, the 0556 off Bletchley didn't in the rear unit.
All the doors really should be done, after all it's only a T-key turn on the depot. I know most units haven't even had the window decals removed yet. Not great when the decision was made some time ago, and it's meant to be implemented tomorrow!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The senior conductor was enforcing it on the 05:53 from Tring yesterday. He announced it and a lot of people got up and left the area.
I hope that was out of habit. If it was deliberate to move people who knew of the upcoming change and assumed they could sit there immediately, that's so very desperate of him. **Shakes head**

Not great when the decision was made some time ago, and it's meant to be implemented tomorrow!
No worse than SouthEastern, really.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All the doors really should be done, after all it's only a T-key turn on the depot. I know most units haven't even had the window decals removed yet. Not great when the decision was made some time ago, and it's meant to be implemented tomorrow!

I was on one of the last few (2237) and it was announced as declassified as it very often is on the very busy "vomit comets". The 0009 was the first service without.

--

Of the units I saw this morning none had the 1st doors locked open nor the stickers removed. Thus I had the lovely 1st in a 319 more or less to myself, and for a Standard fare too.

--

The 350 I'm on now has the doors locked open but none of the signage removed. Plenty of passengers who don't know.

Thought I'd sit there just as a novelty and it's like sitting on a pile of smashed bricks. The refurb 1st seats are even worse than the originals. 319s aside, Standard for me next time!

Last edited:

Trainfan2019

So far this week I've only had 1 announcement onboard which 'advertised' first class is free to use with standard class tickets.

Mainly been on 350/2s this week so far with first class doors locked open. All first class signs still around. However, the refurbished train below didn't have first class compartment doors locked open.
IMG_20230523_164854.jpg

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
So far this week I've only had 1 announcement onboard which 'advertised' first class is free to use with standard class tickets.

Mainly been on 350/2s this week so far with first class doors locked open. All first class signs still around. However, the refurbished train below didn't have first class compartment doors locked open.
View attachment 135909
Odd that the doors haven't been isolated, we were told signage would take a few weeks.
We haven't, for some reason, been told to make announcements regarding first class being free to use. Some conductors will make it anyway, others wont.

Falcon1200

Established Member
I travelled on two LNWR services on Monday (22nd May). On neither train was there any announcement that First Class was abolished, on the second train I sat in First Class, which had the doors locked open, but I was the only person there! There doesn't seem much point doing away with First Class if passengers don't know.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Ironically I can see it lasting longer on the 387 operated services rather than the 700. Cambridge will be upset to lose it altogether (despite the fact the 387s don’t really have first class accommodation). Southern could have upset Brighton passengers. But I think 1st class on the former NSE area is probably going.

It is interesting that when I see it come up on the routes in question on the thread, the trains I am using on them are not not really that busy so even if it is £5 more, I can’t really justify it to myself, for the same reasons I would never pay the extra on GTR.

It would make more sense to keep first class (with the current front only or fully declassified implementation on specific routes) on 700s given the distances some of them cover, and ditch first class on the 387s.

Status
Not open for further replies.