• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Travelcards at risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you buy a ticket for the tfl Rail your contract is with tfl not MTR crossrail. That's who you approach for a refund
If you buy a paper ticket, your contract is with MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited. If you use an Oyster card or contactless, your contract is jointly with MTR, TfL itself and all other TfL operators.

The fact that TfL deal with refunds and customer does not have any special significance. Many operators have other companies deal with such matters on their behalf.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you buy a ticket for the tfl Rail your contract is with tfl not MTR crossrail. That's who you approach for a refund
Oh dear. I'm afraid you're wrong on both counts. Your contract would be between you and MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited. Whomever you buy the ticket from is who you approach for a refund. That could be any number of companies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Oh dear. I'm afraid you're wrong on both counts. Your contract would be between you and MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited. Whomever you buy the ticket from is who you approach for a refund. That could be any number of companies.
So from the tfl ticket machine at Hayes. Say where does it say on the ticket machine that the contract is with MTR Crossrail limited ? The receipts for tickets I've always got from these machines have always been listed as TFL

Where is Bond Street on the national rail fares database. ? Abbey Wood is on the London Underground fares database for paper tickets

Starmill

Veteran Member
So from the tfl ticket machine at Hayes. Say where does it say on the ticket machine that the contract is with MTR Crossrail limited ? The receipts for tickets I've always got from these machines have always been listed as TFL

Where is Bond Street on the national rail fares database. ? Abbey Wood is on the London Underground fares database for paper tickets
Presumably it will tell you that the ticket is issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel on the ticket machine and on the ticket itself. That's how you know.

PeterC

Established Member
We aren't talking about the US constitution. If the rules don't fit the new reality then they will probably be changed.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Presumably it will tell you that the ticket is issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel on the ticket machine and on the ticket itself. That's how you know
So what the website or phoneline for buying a ticket from MTR crossrail or getting delay repay or getting a refund you know the company that apparently passengers are entering into a contract with despite not knowing the companies name.

With the exception of Abbey Wood and Woolwich there will be no customer service staff provided by MTR crossrail in the core.

If you buy a ticket from a core station your contract is with London Underground

If TfL leaves the travelcard agreement it is near enough a certainty that travelcards would no longer be valid east of Paddington or west of Liverpool Street in the core

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
you know the company that apparently passengers are entering into a contract with despite not knowing the companies name.
It's very, very common for consumers to be unaware of the true name of the organisation they're contracting with. Indeed it's also common for people not to understand contracts they're agreeing to. It doesn't change the fact that they are as they are.

It's worth noting that providing your company is following the law and making honest representations, this doesn't usually matter. There's no suggestion here that the construct is unlawful or improper.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It's very, very common for consumers to be unaware of the true name of the organisation they're contracting with. Indeed it's also common for people not to understand contracts they're agreeing to. It doesn't change the fact that they are as they are.

It's worth noting that providing your company is following the law and making honest representations, this doesn't usually matter. There's no suggestion here that the construct is unlawful or improper.
The point still stands though if you buy a ticket from bond Street to Reading you would be buying that ticket from a London Undegrround ticket machine or from London Underground staff . Your customer relationship is with tfl. There are also Elizabeth line only fares available from the LU ticket machines at Paddington to places like Abbey Wood and there has been for quite some time ( December 2019) yet none of the new crossrail stations have been added to the National Rail fares database

Starmill

Veteran Member
The point still stands though if you buy a ticket from bond Street to Reading you would be buying that ticket from a London Undegrround ticket machine or from London Underground staff . Your customer relationship is with tfl. There are also Elizabeth line only fares available from the LU ticket machines at Paddington to places like Abbey Wood and there has been for quite some time ( December 2019) yet none of the new crossrail stations have been added to the National Rail fares database
I really don't understand what the relevance of any of that is though to whether you can use a cross London transfer (if a transfer still exists) on crossrail.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I really don't understand what the relevance of any of that is though to whether you can use a cross London transfer (if a transfer still exists) on crossrail.
You argued that the contractual relationship is who you brought the ticket from .

If you buy a ticket at bond Street it's London Underground

matt_world2004

Established Member
I'm afraid I didn't. Sorry.
So how do you enter a contract with MTR Corporation exactly. Your contract when you purchase a ticket to ride on crossrail is with rail for London they manage all customer facing elements of the relationship or contract MTR to do it on their behalf

mmh

Established Member
:DWe aren't talking about the US constitution. If the rules don't fit the new reality then they will probably be changed.
"You can't change the constitution." Apart from all those pesky amendments :D

Who'd have thought that something as niche as the railway terms and conditions were more sacrosanct than the US constitution!

Starmill

Veteran Member
So how do you enter a contract with MTR Corporation exactly. Your contract when you purchase a ticket to ride on crossrail is with rail for London they manage all customer facing elements of the relationship or contract MTR to do it on their behalf
If you buy a ticket valid on a National Rail service such as TfL Rail, the ticket will be issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel. The NRCoT specifies a list of the companies with whom your contract may be in each case, and states that it is with all of the ones on which you may use the ticket.

"You can't change the constitution." Apart from all those pesky amendments :D

Who'd have thought that something as niche as the railway terms and conditions were more sacrosanct than the US constitution!
Indeed, and I think the key point being made is that the current framework provides for a suitable solution. It's not likely to be particularly good, but, same as with Thameslink, it will work.

matt_world2004

Established Member
If you buy a ticket valid on a National Rail service such as TfL Rail, the ticket will be issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel. The NRCoT specifies a list of the companies with whom your contract may be in each case, and states that it is with all of the ones on which you may
So if MTR fails in its contracted provisions how do you get a refund for the ticket from MTR Crossrail in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Travel

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So if MTR fails in its contracted provisions how do you get a refund for the ticket from MTR Crossrail in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Travel
The NRCoT stipulate that refunds - i.e. where you do not travel - are obtained from the retailer. But just because TfL/LUL are the retailer, that doesn't mean that travel is subject to their own Conditions of Carriage.

So yes. It's entirely possible to buy a ticket from a LUL managed station, for travel on an TfL Rail (MTR) service, over TfL managed track, with both refunds and compensation handled by TfL on LUL and MTR's behalf. And yet the journey would be subject to the NRCoT. Very confusing, I appreciate.

matt_world2004

Established Member
The NRCoT stipulate that refunds - i.e. where you do not travel - are obtained from the retailer. But just because TfL/LUL are the retailer, that doesn't mean that travel is subject to their own Conditions of Carriage.
Not for delay repay the NCROT specifies that refunds are are from the train operating company.

So Once again how do I get a refund for delay repay from MTR Crossrail

Class800

Established Member
delay repay is compensation not refund - that is from train operator who first caused delay

refund is for unused/abandoned journey e.g. due to disruption - from the retailer

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not for delay repay the NCROT specifies that refunds are are from the train operating company.

So Once again how do I get a refund for delay repay from MTR Crossrail
Most people will claim a Service Delay Refund. Again, like sales, this will be administered by a third party and you'd get it from the TfL customer services team. It would be paid by MTR though.

If you declined to claim your service delay refund, as is your right, and wanted to claim compensation for a delay (not 'Delay Repay') under the NRCoT instead, you'd be quite entitled to do so. It would be a less favourable compensation payment so I don't know why you'd want to but you could. You could write to them at their registered address, and I'm certain they'd send a cheque or make a bank transfer to you.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Most people will claim a Service Delay Refund. Again, like sales, this will be administered by a third party and you'd get it from the TfL customer services team. It would be paid by MTR though.

If you declined to claim your service delay refund, as is your right, and wanted to claim compensation for a delay (not 'Delay Repay') under the NRCoT instead, you'd be quite entitled to do so. It would be a less favourable compensation payment so I don't know why you'd want to but you could. You could write to them at their registered address, and I'm certain they'd send a cheque or make a bank transfer to you.
Well technically there are circumstances where the NRCoT regime would be more favourable (i.e. delays that they claim are "outside their control"). But yes.

matt_world2004

Established Member

MTR doesn't pay it the fines they pay to tfl for delays are irrespective of the amount of people to claim delay repay

delay repay is compensation not refund - that is from train operator who first caused delay

refund is for unused/abandoned journey e.g. due to disruption - from the retailer
Compensation that is capped at the price paid for the ticket is by its very definition a refund.

Alex365Dash

If TfL leaves the travelcard agreement it is near enough a certainty that travelcards would no longer be valid east of Paddington or west of Liverpool Street in the core
Surely, for ticketing purposes, I can’t see the Elizabeth line being any different to the Overground. Oyster fares being TfL or NR scale (whichever is cheaper), National Rail tickets accepted as now, and travelcards accepted throughout in the relevant zones.

Both the Overground and Elizabeth line are, after all, both TfL branded concessions (awarded to Arriva Rail London and MTR Crossrail respectively), and also National Rail Train Operating Companies.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Compensation that is capped at the price paid for the ticket is by its very definition a refund.
The fact that delay compensation is calculated by reference to the amount paid doesn't make it a refund, though it's obviously highly liable to cause confusion. A refund is for when you don't travel, compensation is for when you do travel but are delayed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
MTR doesn't pay it the fines they pay to tfl for delays are irrespective of the amount of people to claim delay repay

I think we've explained the facts as they stand and unfortunately if you're unwilling to accept them then we'll need to leave it there. There's not much to be gained by going around in circles.

Well technically there are circumstances where the NRCoT regime would be more favourable (i.e. delays that they claim are "outside their control"). But yes.
That may well be the case if the delay is long enough and if the operator hasn't secured an exemption under NRCoT.

Under the new scheme of things, if I tap in at Shenfield with a debit card, and tap out at Romford, who receives the fare revenue? or how is it apportioned ?

mangyiscute

Established Member
So, out of interest, yesterday I travelled up from Bagshot to Waterloo, took the tube to Liverpool Street and then went on several 720s between Tottenham Hale, Liverpool Street and Stratford for most of the day. I then took the tube to St Pancras to get to Alexandra Palace on the train, returning to Liverpool Street after and doing a couple more trips to and from Stratford, then Jubilee to Waterloo and train home. I was using the ticket from 09:30-23:30.

How would I do something like this following this change? Because all of the above involved one single off peak travelcard. Would I have to buy a return to Waterloo and then an Oyster card, making sure I touch in and out every ninety minutes somewhere all day? How much would my London travel be capped at, bearing in mind I required the use of unlimited journeys on the same route for what I was doing?

Please don't comment that the railway was not built for enthusiasts... I am aware of that and indeed I am not complaining, simply enquiring.
Thanks for any info!
In fairness to TfL, even if they remove travelcards it will still be a lot easier to do that than travelling around a lot of the rest of the country, today I went around surrey on SWR and ended up having to buy 4 separate tickets for a total cost of around £30, and if I'm honest I did technically use some of them twice but that's because all train fares are focused on singles and returns and season tickets. We need more rangers and rovers

mattdickinson

Surely, for ticketing purposes, I can’t see the Elizabeth line being any different to the Overground. Oyster fares being TfL or NR scale (whichever is cheaper), National Rail tickets accepted as now, and travelcards accepted throughout in the relevant zones.

Both the Overground and Elizabeth line are, after all, both TfL branded concessions (awarded to Arriva Rail London and MTR Crossrail respectively), and also National Rail Train Operating Companies.

As far as I am aware, the Elizabeth line between Paddington and Abbey Wood or Stratford will be treated as if it were a tube line, with the TfL fare scale, and only cross London National Rail tickets accepted.

Starmill

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware, the Elizabeth line between Paddington and Abbey Wood or Stratford will be treated as if it were a tube line, with the TfL fare scale, and only cross London National Rail tickets accepted.
In practice that's not actually any different though is it? A paper ticket to a named station such as Woolwich Crossrail will obviously be valid, same as how a ticket to London Liverpool Street is today.

jfollows

Established Member
So is it your understanding that if I have an all-line rover and want to go from Shenfield to Slough that'd be allowed, but I wouldn't be able to use the same train and get off at Bond Street? A National Rail ticket from Shenfield to Slough would be OK because it'd have a maltese cross on it, presumably, so that's business as usual. Except that break of journey at Bond Street might not be allowed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.