• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longer Distance Service You Didn't Expect Without Changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1537

In the late 80s there was an early evening train on Sundays from Leeds to Manchester Piccadilly via Sheffield, Derby, Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton. I think I have one of the window labels from it somewhere, complete with Swallow logo.
There was certainly one from Leeds to Liverpool in the 1988/89 timetable - 1M88 1455 Newcastle - Liverpool. Booked a twin tank 47/4 to Birmingham and an electric to Liverpool. Though it was often a regular 47/4 (and it often got an 81/85 from Brum).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
2000-2001 1M35 17:10 SX Edinburgh-Derby E245 via Birmingham, I used it several times, changing at Warrington for Manchester. Not to Derby! Although it was advertised as a through service.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
In addition to summer saturday trains starting from Radford, there used to be other trains starting of "city suburban" stations, which were effectively reliefs to the main train. So, for Manchester, there were once trains starting from Ordsall Lane, Cross Lane, and finally Eccles (after the previous two had closed).

And for Birmingham, some trains started from Kings Norton, and the longest-lived such train was probably the Walsall - Yarmouth service - often a pair of Class 25s in the 1970s.

Magdalia

Established Member
And for Birmingham, some trains started from Kings Norton
I only discovered recently that the Kings Norton starts were because the ex Midland lines had carriage sidings there. It had trains to all of Yarmouth, Skegness and Scarborough until 1964, with the Scarborough train also running in 1965. The Skegness train took a particularly obscure route: after Burton on Trent it went via Derby Friargate and Nottingham Victoria.

the longest-lived such train was probably the Walsall - Yarmouth service
This lasted until 1980. But it had started as an LNWR train that historically ran via Rugby and Market Harborough. It only ran via Leicester from 1966.

paddy1

Until the late 60'/early 70's there was a summer Saturday only direct train from Birmingham and Coventry through to Ramsgate that served Margate, Broadstairs and even Dumpton Park. Required 'seat regulation tickets'. Can't remember when it ended? Can't remember if it was 'advertised as non stop' between Coventry and Margate? The market for holidays for people from the West Midlands to the Kent Coast is no longer. This service was running and ended long before before the BR one that initially ran to Dover Western Docks but was switched to Ramsgate at some point, as part of a number of BR services from North and Midlands to the south coast via Kensington Olympia.

There was also during the 60's/early 70's (again, can't remember when it ended) a summer Saturday only service from Coventry to Paignton that called at (along with other usual principal stations en route after New Street) Droitwich Spa, Worcester Shrub Hill, Gloucester Eastgate, Weston Milton, Weston-Super-Mare, Highbridge for Burnham, Bridgwater, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth and Torre.

jfollows

Established Member
Summer Saturdays 1995-96 had Birmingham-Ramsgate, see http://www.1s76.com/1S76 1995.htm, this one ended up being Deltic-hauled sometimes too.

EDIT But earlier, as you say, for example SO 17 June to 2 September 1967, 1O91 E425 07:20 Birmingham New Street to Ramsgate, calling initially at Coventry, then WCML to Mitre Bridge Junction 08L56-09L06. In 1970 was 13 June to 5 September, 1O91 07:04 Wolverhampton to Ramsgate. Gone from the 1974 timetable.

Also 1V35 D450 07:12 SO 15 July to 2 September 1967 Coventry-Paignton, called at Stechford 07c30, then 07N46-07N54 at New Street (N - not advertised). 1V60 07:09 SO Coventry-Paignton 13 June to 5 September 1970, no longer calling at Stechford, New Street 07:35-07:45. No longer running in summer 1971.

Last edited:

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
2000-2001 1M35 17:10 SX Edinburgh-Derby E245 via Birmingham, I used it several times, changing at Warrington for Manchester. Not to Derby! Although it was advertised as a through service.
There was also an evening peak Manchester to Derby via Birmingham, early 1990's I would guess.

In the eighties a couple of the evening peak Manchester to Stoke EMUs extended to and beyond Birmingham, one to Walsall and another to Rugby.

paddy1

Summer Saturdays 1995-96 had Birmingham-Ramsgate, see http://www.1s76.com/1S76 1995.htm, this one ended up being Deltic-hauled sometimes too.

EDIT But earlier, as you say, for example SO 17 June to 2 September 1967, 1O91 E425 07:20 Birmingham New Street to Ramsgate, calling initially at Coventry, then WCML to Mitre Bridge Junction 08L56-09L06. In 1970 was 13 June to 5 September, 1O91 07:04 Wolverhampton to Ramsgate. Gone from the 1974 timetable.

Also 1V35 D450 07:12 SO 15 July to 2 September 1967 Coventry-Paignton, called at Stechford 07c30, then 07N46-07N54 at New Street (N - not advertised). 1V60 07:09 SO Coventry-Paignton 13 June to 5 September 1970, no longer calling at Stechford, New Street 07:35-07:45. No longer running in summer 1971.
I recall that the 1995/96 Birmingham - Ramsgate formed a return working from Ramsgate to Edinburgh via the West Midlands.

Never realised that some of your aforementioned Coventry - Paignton services also picked up at Stechford or that the New Street stops were unadvertised/pick up only.

jfollows

Established Member
Never realised that some of your aforementioned Coventry - Paignton services also picked up at Stechford or that the New Street stops were unadvertised/pick up only.
The timetable doesn't indicate that the Stechford call wasn't advertised, however, but it may have been there because of line/platform conflicts at Birmingham New Street and was held a couple of minutes at Stechford rather than at signals outside New Street. That's just a guess, though. I've only got a 1970 public timetable, at which time it no longer called at Stechford anyway.

D1537

There was a daily (SX) Leeds-Liverpool service via Birmingham and vice-versa in the 1986/87 timetable.

However, after a few weeks they split the service in two as it was causing problems in certain locations (i.e. announcing a train for Liverpool at Sheffield, or a train for Leeds at Crewe, when it would be much quicker to travel there via Manchester).

It was the same locomotive and stock, but just changed identity in the platform at Brum.

Original trains:
1M55 0935 Leeds-Liverpool
1E78 1430 Liverpool - Leeds

Split trains:
1M55 0935 Leeds-Birmingham NS
1F09 1229 Birmingham New St - Liverpool

1G61 1430 Liverpool - Birmingham NS
1E78 1652 Birmingham NS - Leeds

WesternLancer

Established Member
I only discovered recently that the Kings Norton starts were because the ex Midland lines had carriage sidings there. It had trains to all of Yarmouth, Skegness and Scarborough until 1964, with the Scarborough train also running in 1965. The Skegness train took a particularly obscure route: after Burton on Trent it went via Derby Friargate and Nottingham Victoria.

Presumably Skegness was wholly served by GNR services, so from Nottingham the GNR operated out of Victoria and London Road stations as part of their deal with the GCR to build Nottingham Victoria, and the GNR line from the west originated near Burton and ran via Friargate, so presumably it was logical and simpler to keep a Skegness service on 'GNR / ex GNR metals' by taking it through on that route including through Nottingham. I assume this line to Burton was built to help the GNR access the west mids and / or the beer / beer ingredients traffic in Burton.

Last edited:

D1537

I remember during the 70s, a summer service from York to Tenby.
That ran at least until 1988 in both directions. I had the - immensely rare at the time - 47295 and 47308 on it in 1986 (on different days, obviously!).

Last edited:

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I remember being bemused by seeing Maesteg on the departure boards at London Waterloo too.
I thought that Bristol Temple Meads or Swansea as destinations at Waterloo looked odd enough, but Maesteg! I never saw that one.

Jimini

Established Member
I thought that Bristol Temple Meads or Swansea as destinations at Waterloo looked odd enough, but Maesteg! I never saw that one.

Yep, that's the one I cited upthread. I was travelling back from the Isle of Wight one night back in the summer of 2000, missed the last ferry that connected on the mainland to a Reading service (via. Guildford), so ended up catching the last ferry to Pompey, then the final SWT service that only went as far as Guildford. Spent the night aimlessly wandering around the streets until the first train to Waterloo at 04xx (can't remember the exact time but it was that early), which turned out to be a rail replacement cab to Woking, then a non-stop train to Waterloo, then the Maesteg train from Waterloo to Reading at around 0600!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Until the late 60'/early 70's there was a summer Saturday only direct train from Birmingham and Coventry through to Ramsgate that served Margate, Broadstairs and even Dumpton Park. Required 'seat regulation tickets'. Can't remember when it ended? Can't remember if it was 'advertised as non stop' between Coventry and Margate? The market for holidays for people from the West Midlands to the Kent Coast is no longer. This service was running and ended long before before the BR one that initially ran to Dover Western Docks but was switched to Ramsgate at some point, as part of a number of BR services from North and Midlands to the south coast via Kensington Olympia.

There was also during the 60's/early 70's (again, can't remember when it ended) a summer Saturday only service from Coventry to Paignton that called at (along with other usual principal stations en route after New Street) Droitwich Spa, Worcester Shrub Hill, Gloucester Eastgate, Weston Milton, Weston-Super-Mare, Highbridge for Burnham, Bridgwater, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth and Torre.
Originally, one of those to Margate originated at Birkenhead Woodside and ran via Birmingham Snow Hill.

P Binnersley

Some time in the early 90's I arrived back from France on a (delayed) SeaCat. Went to Dover Priory and the first train was direct to Coventry (via Canterbury East/Olympia/WCML).

Would have been quicker changing in London, but I had the coach to myself until Olympia.

Andy873

Some very interesting and strange routes being mentioned here.

Originally, one of those to Margate originated at Birkenhead Woodside and ran via Birmingham Snow Hill.
This route seems a very strange one to me, I wonder why they ran this one? going all the way from NW England to as far SE of England as possible. Something to do with ports at both ends perhaps?

Taunton

Established Member
One oddity I remember getting while on an All-Line Rover about forty years ago was the Euston-Barrow-in-Furness sleeper. I presume it ran in case Navy or MoD personnel wanted to get from London to the submarine facilities there?
It was more obscure than that earlier in the 1960s. The sleeper carried on in the early morning up the coast, but couldn't quite reach Whitehaven because the tight single line tunnel approaching there was out of gauge for standard BR sleepers - hence why the dmus on the line used to have bars over the droplights. So it terminated one station short of Whitehaven, at an odd minor station called Corkickle, where the sleeper was apparently detached in an extended stop. This was all documented in an extensive side note in the timetable column. The sleeper must then have been worked empty back down the coast, as the evening departure added it to the train at Barrow.

jfollows

Established Member
It was more obscure than that earlier in the 1960s. The sleeper carried on in the early morning up the coast, but couldn't quite reach Whitehaven because the tight single line tunnel approaching there was out of gauge for standard BR sleepers - hence why the dmus on the line used to have bars over the droplights. So it terminated one station short of Whitehaven, at an odd minor station called Corkickle, where the sleeper was apparently detached in an extended stop. This was all documented in an extensive side note in the timetable column. The sleeper must then have been worked empty back down the coast, as the evening departure added it to the train at Barrow.
Thank you; I didn't know that. Here's a page from the 15/6/64 to 6/9/64 timetable.
B - Arrives Corkickle 8.46 a.m.
EDIT Also 1L52 from the 9/9/63 to 14/6/64 working timetable. However the sleeping car was on 2L89 5.40 a.m. Carnforth to Workington detached from 1L54 11.15 p.m. Euston to Windermere at Carnforth. The timetables are for different years and don't match up. 1L52 will have been the sleeper which ran later in 1964 than it had done in 1963. Probably.

Attachments

• Corkickle.jpeg
    Corkickle.jpeg
    805.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1L52.jpeg
    1L52.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 2L89.jpeg
    2L89.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
I wonder why they ran this one? going all the way from NW England to as far SE of England as possible.
Summer holiday traffic to/from the Kent Coast resorts. The GWR ran trains between London and Birkenhead so it didn't take a great leap of thinking to run holiday trains to/from the South Coast. There was also a summer Saturday Birkenhead-Poole until 1964.

Something to do with ports at both ends perhaps?
This was significant for Harwich-Liverpool and Hull-Liverpool as part of the migration route from Europe to America. Many Transatlantic migrant ships sailed from Liverpool.

zwk500

Veteran Member
This route seems a very strange one to me, I wonder why they ran this one? going all the way from NW England to as far SE of England as possible. Something to do with ports at both ends perhaps?
Margate isn't a Port it's a beach resort, you may be confusing it with Ramsgate further along the coast (and same line). Birkenhead was the GWR/WR station for Liverpool, and there is a long line of Merseyside-south coast holiday traffic.

Veteran Member
It ran via Reading and Redhill with portions for Margate via Canterbury, Ramsgate via Deal, and Hastings via Brighton and Eastbourne. Birkenhead was "Liverpool GW."
It disappeared in the mid 60s along with many other such holiday services.

nw1

Established Member
There was a daily (SX) Leeds-Liverpool service via Birmingham and vice-versa in the 1986/87 timetable.

However, after a few weeks they split the service in two as it was causing problems in certain locations (i.e. announcing a train for Liverpool at Sheffield, or a train for Leeds at Crewe, when it would be much quicker to travel there via Manchester).

It was the same locomotive and stock, but just changed identity in the platform at Brum.

Original trains:
1M55 0935 Leeds-Liverpool
1E78 1430 Liverpool - Leeds

Split trains:
1M55 0935 Leeds-Birmingham NS
1F09 1229 Birmingham New St - Liverpool

1G61 1430 Liverpool - Birmingham NS
1E78 1652 Birmingham NS - Leeds

Curious about this (if you know or can work it out from the WTT): was the Leeds-bound journey of this unusual working formed off the 0805 Portsmouth-Liverpool (1M03)? If we assume an hour's turnaround at Liverpool the timings would be about right.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not quite as extreme as some mentioned, but it always amused me that for a brief period in the early 90s some of the Wakefield Westgate to Huddersfield stoppers ran all the way to Llandudno, calling at almost every lamp-post along the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.