• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LOROL - Trainee Train Driver - New Cross Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gekko5154

Abu,

There isnt anybody here that will just give you the answers. Its dishonest and unneccessary. If you are suitable for the role than you would have a good idea of the answers.

The only thing i can say to help you is: when answering the questions, bear in mind the following:

Think safety- what is the safest action
Follow rules and proceedures- do what you are supposed to do.
Show competence- try to solve the problem by your own actions and try not to bother colleagues/managers unneccessarily
Take responsibility and dont 'pass the buck'

The above points should guide you to the correct answers to all 12 questions.

Im starting as a trainee on 5th of jan 2015 for the chingford role, and i must warn you my friend that if you find these 12 questions tricky............ well frankly the assessments and interviews will be a nightmare for you.

Good luck!

Hi mate,

Congratulations on getting a role as a trainee train driver with LOROL.
Did you have a position with LOROL beforehand or was you Coming in "cold" ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MBU82007

Hi mate,

Congratulations on getting a role as a trainee train driver with LOROL.
Did you have a position with LOROL beforehand or was you Coming in "cold" ?

Thanks mate.

No previous railway experience for me, but i do believe my 3years of being a Bus Driver helped me a great deal in the application and the whole recruitment process, especially the MMI and final interview.

notadriver

Established Member
You've done very well. I know many bus drivers who've tried but failed to get this far in the process. One might expect a classroom of trainee train drivers to be full of ex bus drivers but this is rarely the case.

MBU82007

You've done very well. I know many bus drivers who've tried but failed to get this far in the process. One might expect a classroom of trainee train drivers to be full of ex bus drivers but this is rarely the case.

Thank you my friend.
I dont believe that there is anything special or exceptional about me but what i would like to say to all the hopefuls outthere is that preperation and practice is key!!!

I spent about 2/3hours on the application form and thereafter i spent a significant amount of time preparing and practising for each stage of the process.

Sirgerbil

Good luck to anyone applying!

My background is also Buses and over the past few years an RPI. Tube recruitment has recently changed to station staff only so thought I'd have a go for LOROL.

aa1888

Thanks for the heads up i have submitted my application inshallah i hope to hear from them. It is my dream job afterall and im up for the challenge. Good Luck peeps!

Sirgerbil

I applied yesterday. I doubt we'd hear back until mid-late January at this stage, being the festive period and all.

I think that may even be a bit early. I doubt they'll even start processing till the end of Jan.

Rave

Just seen this thread. It's a bit of a kick in the guts for me as I'd applied for New Cross in a previous round, and failed the final manager interview a few weeks ago. I had hoped it was just because they had more good candidates than they needed but apparently not :( .

Good luck to all who applied, the pay and benefits with LOROL seem to be cracking. And if you make it to the final manager interview, prepare well for it, and keep talking, give them as many reasons why you fit the competency criteria, as the feedback I was given was that I'd failed to do so satisfactorily. It was pretty maddening as I felt I could have chatted on for ever in answer to most (if not all) of the questions but there was no encouragement from the interviewer to do so.

Sirgerbil

Just seen this thread. It's a bit of a kick in the guts for me as I'd applied for New Cross in a previous round, and failed the final manager interview a few weeks ago. I had hoped it was just because they had more good candidates than they needed but apparently not :( .

Good luck to all who applied, the pay and benefits with LOROL seem to be cracking. And if you make it to the final manager interview, prepare well for it, and keep talking, give them as many reasons why you fit the competency criteria, as the feedback I was given was that I'd failed to do so satisfactorily. It was pretty maddening as I felt I could have chatted on for ever in answer to most (if not all) of the questions but there was no encouragement from the interviewer to do so.

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully next time around you'll get your chance to chew their ears off!

What sort of timescale was your whole process from application to final interview, if you don't mind me asking?

387star

On Moderation
I applied despite being unsuccessful for chingford... Application processed ok

Passed FGW DM interview but on hold and need to relocate... And pass medical

Still interested therefore in this vacancy hopefully hear soon

Rave

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully next time around you'll get your chance to chew their ears off!

What sort of timescale was your whole process from application to final interview, if you don't mind me asking?

They were quick and efficient. Sorry CBA to go and look through my emails this time of night but IIRC it was a month or so from putting my application in to being invited to the first stage. I get so many spam emails in my main account that I didn't notice the invite until about 4 days after I received it- thankfully I was able to swap my shifts to be able to attend!

They called me a day or two after passing stage one to attend stage two- but I was all booked to fly off on the day they wanted me, on a little city break to celebrate my wife's 40th. Didn't hear anything on my return so I called them after a couple of days and then was booked in for the following Monday. Passed stage two and they called me on Tuesday for an interview on Wednesday!

That's the interview I failed. And it was pretty devastating because right up until I got the phone call telling me I'd failed it had seemed that they were pretty positive about me! :(

But I can't complain because as I say their admin is excellent and they must have incurred a not inconsiderable expense to put me through all the tests, and put me on the RSSB database as having passed the psychometrics for the next 5 years. And as someone who already has an LT staff pass through my current job they run a cracking service which I've enjoyed using recently. So cheers LOROL and all the best! :p

Latecomer

I wouldn't necessarily advocate "keep talking" or "chew their ears off". It's quite possible to meet the criteria by being concise and clear whilst still demonstrating that you are well researched and know about the company and the requirements.

I can imagine it is hugely disappointing falling at the last hurdle (bar the medical), but if you get through to a manager interview in future I would suggest really nailing the essential ingredients of 3 key areas 1) safety 2) the ability to follow rules and procedures and 3) the importance of clear and concise communication. If you get those right and research the company well and seem calm and tuned in then you are a long way towards passing the manager interview.

Rave

I wouldn't necessarily advocate "keep talking" or "chew their ears off". It's quite possible to meet the criteria by being concise and clear whilst still demonstrating that you are well researched and know about the company and the requirements.

I can imagine it is hugely disappointing falling at the last hurdle (bar the medical), but if you get through to a manager interview in future I would suggest really nailing the essential ingredients of 3 key areas 1) safety 2) the ability to follow rules and procedures and 3) the importance of clear and concise communication. If you get those right and research the company well and seem calm and tuned in then you are a long way towards passing the manager interview.

Great feedback for which I am (and presumably everyone else going for a job as a driver is) genuinely grateful. So please don't think I'm having a go at you! :)

But I've worked in the London bus industry for the past 8 1/2 years, for the first 20 months as a bus driver and the rest of the time (after getting promoted) as a Controller (AKA Inspector, or for anyone old enough to remember On The Buses, a Blakey :p ).

And I've done pretty well at it- I had an excellent record as a driver and the only time I've had a disciplinary in my current role was when I apparently didn't deal correctly with a driver who was reportedly drunk- when I feel I was badly let down by my line managers, none of whom answered the phone on the night in question (to come in and breathalyse her, which I was not trained or authorised to do). Rules and procedures are integral to my job, and I know them and operate by them at all times- and, more importantly IMO, I take my responsibility to provide the best possible service to the travelling public very seriously.

Of course I take safety seriously; I've overruled garage engineering staff on occasion and prevented buses with faults I know (as an ex-driver) are a safety risk from going out.

And as for my communication skills, IRL I chat as well as I type. You be the judge!

I wasn't brilliant in the interview but bar one question I didn't hesitate. I half wonder if I might have come across as a bit of an arrogant ****! :roll:

Latecomer

Great feedback for which I am (and presumably everyone else going for a job as a driver is) genuinely grateful. So please don't think I'm having a go at you! :)

But I've worked in the London bus industry for the past 8 1/2 years, for the first 20 months as a bus driver and the rest of the time (after getting promoted) as a Controller (AKA Inspector, or for anyone old enough to remember On The Buses, a Blakey :p ).

And I've done pretty well at it- I had an excellent record as a driver and the only time I've had a disciplinary in my current role was when I apparently didn't deal correctly with a driver who was reportedly drunk- when I feel I was badly let down by my line managers, none of whom answered the phone on the night in question (to come in and breathalyse her, which I was not trained or authorised to do). Rules and procedures are integral to my job, and I know them and operate by them at all times- and, more importantly IMO, I take my responsibility to provide the best possible service to the travelling public very seriously.

Of course I take safety seriously; I've overruled garage engineering staff on occasion and prevented buses with faults I know (as an ex-driver) are a safety risk from going out.

And as for my communication skills, IRL I chat as well as I type. You be the judge!

I wasn't brilliant in the interview but bar one question I didn't hesitate. I half wonder if I might have come across as a bit of an arrogant ****! :roll:
Hi Rave. No, don't think you are having a go at me although leading your second sentence with the word "but" suggests that you felt a need to provide some justification as to what I might have implied. I was not questioning your experience or suitability at all. I became a LOROL driver a few years back so I talk with experience of being successful at a manager interview and as a qualified driver. That said, I am sure other candidates have been successful adopting a different approach to me.

I was very specifically referring to communication and in particular to the idea that to "keep talking" might be the best thing. In my opinion it is not - given the critical need to communicate effectively and concisely. Of course if you feel you haven't addressed a question fully then there is a need to expand or even at the end of the interview to acknowledge that and refer back with a better answer. The danger of keeping talking is if that talk lacks substance or becomes a ramble. You clearly have a wealth of experience to impart and it can then become really easy to keep going and the salient point (ie the answer to the question!) gets lost.

When I was a trainee driver we were repeatedly advised by people who had been through the process that when you were asked rules or traction questions to limit the answer to exactly what was asked, nothing more nothing less. Veer off that and you will be undone by what follows from the trainer/assessor. That was some of the best advice I received.

If you think you may have come across as arrogant (your words not mine) then I would suggest that you possibly did talk too much. If you are on the right lines but need a bit more then generally speaking they will ask a supplementary question. What they don't like to do is to try and pick an answer from a monologue, however strong the urge is to display your knowledge. That really is all I'm picking up on as a possible reason for not succeeding. Given you have already passed the suitability assessments then the outcome of the interview normally boils down to communication and how you present.

I do wish you well in future. At least you passed all the tests to hopefully take forward to another TOC.

Sirgerbil

Pretty much same career as me but I jumped ship to TFL after my controller days to do revenue.

Rave

Hi Rave. No, don't think you are having a go at me although leading your second sentence with the word "but" suggests that you felt a need to provide some justification as to what I might have implied. I was not questioning your experience or suitability at all. I became a LOROL driver a few years back so I talk with experience of being successful at a manager interview and as a qualified driver. That said, I am sure other candidates have been successful adopting a different approach to me.

Thanks for this very measured and reasonable response to my rather aggressive post last night! Must admit I'd had a few when I posted, and if I'm honest falling at the very last hurdle in the application process has probably wounded me more than I've so far been prepared to admit, even to myself!

There's still a possibility that they just didn't like the cut of my jib, but I guess I should really be facing up to the fact that the most likely explanation for why I failed is that I just wasn't good enough on the day :( . It hurts because, without wanting to sound like too much of an arrogant **** on this thread ( :p ) , I am a capable person with a proven record of delivering in a similar job. I was genuinely worried that I might not pass the psychometric tests- I was never worried that I didn't have the skills, experience and aptitude to be a good train driver (and I'm still not). For whatever reason I failed to convince the interviewer of that on the day.

As you're a successful candidate then I guess other readers of this thread can form their own conclusions as to whose advice to follow! :p :lol:

I was very specifically referring to communication and in particular to the idea that to "keep talking" might be the best thing. In my opinion it is not - given the critical need to communicate effectively and concisely. Of course if you feel you haven't addressed a question fully then there is a need to expand or even at the end of the interview to acknowledge that and refer back with a better answer. The danger of keeping talking is if that talk lacks substance or becomes a ramble. You clearly have a wealth of experience to impart and it can then become really easy to keep going and the salient point (ie the answer to the question!) gets lost.

I'm assuming here that you're not one of the people who conducted my interview, here in an undercover capacity :p , and that you're just here providing (genuinely good and useful) general advice. What I'm getting at is that my next sentence could be taken the wrong way, so please don't take it as me being argumentative!

I'm pretty certain that I didn't ramble, and I'm concise and clear when communicating verbally (writing not so much...). So I'm strongly leaning towards the explanation that the examples I gave in response to the questions weren't up to scratch, rather than that I didn't put them across clearly.

If you think you may have come across as arrogant (your words not mine) then I would suggest that you possibly did talk too much. If you are on the right lines but need a bit more then generally speaking they will ask a supplementary question.

With one exception, they didn't, which is why I walked out with the impression that it had gone well. The interview lasted no more than 30 minutes. The reason that I'm perplexed and upset by the experience is that, as I say, I genuinely think I'm capable of being an excellent train driver, and LOROL went to the presumably not inconsiderable expense of putting me through two sessions of psychometric testing, only to reject me on the basis of an interview where I apparently failed to put across my capabilities properly- I'm surprised that they didn't try and tease a bit more out of me.

Since I emphatically don't want to burn any bridges with LOROL I will say here that I am still extremely grateful to them for taking me as far as they did, that their recruitment staff are impressively nice and efficient, and that everything I saw made me think that they're a great operator and presumably a great employer. Hence all the more anguish when they didn't take me on :( .

I do wish you well in future. At least you passed all the tests to hopefully take forward to another TOC.

Cheers, and I'll say again that I'm grateful for your helpful posts. As I said in the other thread I got a letter from DBS yesterday inviting me to take the tests in March. I'll be ringing them in the new year to see if the scores I got with LOROL are good enough to get me straight to interview- touch wood! Otherwise I've got to decide whether I want an overnight trip to Doncaster to take a set of tests I've already passed, and which you only get to fail once in your life... :|

Pretty much same career as me but I jumped ship to TFL after my controller days to do revenue.

Ooof Revenue? I must say that that is one job I've never fancied in the slightest. To be honest I really enjoyed driving buses, and would probably have been reasonably happy to do it for the rest of my life, had it not been for the fare dodgers. I dislike having confrontations, but I could never let fare dodging attempts slide, so I was constantly having arguments and got assaulted a couple of times for my trouble- nothing too serious, but I figured I was best off out of it before someone knifed me or I got properly beaten up!

notadriver

Established Member
I don't mean to digress but can you guys give me an idea of what's the interview process is like to get the controller or revenue inspectors job? I don't recall having a lengthy interview when I became a bus driver.

Sirgerbil

Controller was just interview and role play for me.

Revenue is a bit different. You sit 3 assessment sessions.

1) Comprises of Scatt test, report writing and data interpretation test.

2) Role play and interview

3) Fitness test.

I also just got an invite to assessment with LOROL on the 5th Jan!

notadriver

Established Member
Controller was just interview and role play for me.

Revenue is a bit different. You sit 3 assessment sessions.

1) Comprises of Scatt test, report writing and data interpretation test.

2) Role play and interview

3) Fitness test.

I also just got an invite to assessment with LOROL on the 5th Jan!

Congrats on the assessment invite and thanks for the info regarding recruiting. I'm surprised that revenue involves doing a Scatt test. I'm not sure if the revenue protection officials (RPOs) on the railway do the same as they aren't classed as safety critical.

Scottpod1981

Hi there has anyone heard anything from Lorol regarding the positions for trainee train driver @ New Cross Gate????

Sirgerbil

I was speaking to another guy on here with an outstanding application.

As I said to him, if you haven't heard yet then it might be an idea to get in touch. 2nd assessments have been booked and I wouldn't expect them to now go back and start first assessment's again.

Scottpod1981

Was that the 16th December closing date?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

As I said to him, if you haven't heard yet then it might be an idea to get in touch. 2nd assessments have been booked and I wouldn't expect them to now go back and start first assessment's again.
I'm guessing it's just the unsuccessful emails going out now then!
I did email them last week and got this replying 16th Jan:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email. Please be advised we are currently screening applicants and will be in touch shortly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Is it possible that the 2nd assessment days you are talking about was the 13th December closing date??

Status
Not open for further replies.