• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oldman

Much better than the old bus trackers, why they only showed Lothian services I’ll never know. At least now it will work for all bus operators.
Some years ago they did show Stagecoach buses to Fife, but First didn't/wouldn't supply the data.

roadierway77

Very minor change but I've noticed the blinds for route 31 now display additional 'Hopefield' text underneath Bonnyrigg, in a similar fashion to the Penicuik blinds which display Deanburn or Ladywood.

stevenedin

Established Member
Very minor change but I've noticed the blinds for route 31 now display additional 'Hopefield' text underneath Bonnyrigg, in a similar fashion to the Penicuik blinds which display Deanburn or Ladywood.
If it’s possible for that, they should be doing it for Herriot-Watt University and Queen Margaret University.

It looks stupid without the word University.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Indeed - it's been like this since the changes last month.

442 left for paint today and it was probably 1055 which returned. This means 1051-1053 are/have been in service, 1054 is ready for service, 1055 is being prepped for service, 1056 and 1058 are away and the rest are yet to depart.

roadierway77

If it’s possible for that, they should be doing it for Herriot-Watt University and Queen Margaret University.

I don't mind it for Heriot-Watt, as that's generally how I refer to the uni, however yes I find just 'Queen Margaret' to be odd - probably as I personally tend to refer to that uni as 'QMU'.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

My thoughts exactly!

Saying that if they made the effort to add additional text underneath the blinds surely they could add some VIA points on some of the routes like the 140/141!

I'm not talking about how LCB and ECB (113/124) services have them because they are too clunky and are an eyesore. Here's a few examples.

Service 1: Seafield via Fountainpark
Service 2: The Jewel (ASDA) via Grassmarket
Service 4: Queen Margaret University via Bingham

Service 5: The Jewel (ASDA) via Mountcastle
Service 7: Royal Infirmary via Liberton
Service 8: Muirhouse via Newington
Service 9: Muirhouse via Marchmount
Service 10: Ocean Terminal via Bonnington
Service 11: Hyvots Bank via Morningside
Service 12: Portobello (Kings Road) via Duddingston

Service 15: Edinburgh (Regent Road) via Buckstone

Service 16: Silverknowes via Newhaven
Service 19: Eastfield via Western General
Service 21: Royal Infirmary via Ferry Road
Service 22: Granton (Harbour) via Balgreen
Service 24: Royal Infirmary via The Grange
Service 25: Heriot Watt University via Georgie
Service 26: Clerwood via Portobello
Service 27: Silverknowes via The Mound
Service 29: Silverknowes (Promanade) via Stockbridge

Service 30: Queen Margaret University via The Exchange

Service 33: Wester Hailes via Baberton
Service 34: Ocean Terminal via Leith Links
Service 35: Ocean Terminal via Royal Mile
Service 36: Ocean Terminal via Stockbridge
Service 38: West Granton via Ravelston
Service 43: Edinburgh (Regent Road) via Dalmeny

Service 44: Balerno via Brunstane
Service 45: Marine Garage via Colinton
Service 46: Musselburgh via Bonnyrigg
Service 48: Musselburgh via Newtongrange
Service 49: Fort Kinnaird (centre) via Lochend

Service 106: Queen Margaret University via Tranent

Service 113: Western General Hospital via Brunstane

Service 124: Edinburgh (Lothian Road) via Prestonpans

Service 200: Ocean Terminal via Blackball
Service 400: Fort Kinnaird (West) via Oxgangs

Just a few examples I thought of so you get the idea, obviously I missed some services and some return journeys could say something different but any feedback would be appreciated.

stevenedin

Established Member
My thoughts exactly!

Saying that if they made the effort to add additional text underneath the blinds surely they could add some VIA points on some of the routes like the 140/141!

I'm not talking about how LCB and ECB (113/124) services have them because they are too clunky and are an eyesore. Here's a few examples.

Service 1: Seafield via Fountainpark
Service 2: The Jewel (ASDA) via Grassmarket
Service 4: Queen Margaret University via Bingham

Service 5: The Jewel (ASDA) via Mountcastle
Service 7: Royal Infirmary via Liberton
Service 8: Muirhouse via Newington
Service 9: Muirhouse via Marchmount
Service 10: Ocean Terminal via Bonnington
Service 11: Hyvots Bank via Morningside
Service 12: Portobello (Kings Road) via Duddingston

Service 15: Edinburgh (Regent Road) via Buckstone

Service 16: Silverknowes via Newhaven
Service 19: Eastfield via Western General
Service 21: Royal Infirmary via Ferry Road
Service 22: Granton (Harbour) via Balgreen
Service 24: Royal Infirmary via The Grange
Service 25: Heriot Watt University via Georgie
Service 26: Clerwood via Portobello
Service 27: Silverknowes via The Mound
Service 29: Silverknowes (Promanade) via Stockbridge

Service 30: Queen Margaret University via The Exchange

Service 33: Wester Hailes via Baberton
Service 34: Ocean Terminal via Leith Links
Service 35: Ocean Terminal via Royal Mile
Service 36: Ocean Terminal via Stockbridge
Service 38: West Granton via Ravelston
Service 43: Edinburgh (Regent Road) via Dalmeny

Service 44: Balerno via Brunstane
Service 45: Marine Garage via Colinton
Service 46: Musselburgh via Bonnyrigg
Service 48: Musselburgh via Newtongrange
Service 49: Fort Kinnaird (centre) via Lochend

Service 106: Queen Margaret University via Tranent

Service 113: Western General Hospital via Brunstane

Service 124: Edinburgh (Lothian Road) via Prestonpans

Service 200: Ocean Terminal via Blackball
Service 400: Fort Kinnaird (West) via Oxgangs

Just a few examples I thought of so you get the idea, obviously I missed some services and some return journeys could say something different but any feedback would be appreciated.
I feel like maybe not all would require a via point but some could benefit. Especially those that travel in and out of Edinburgh from Midlothian, East Lothian and West Lothian depending on the route. Like the 26 would look silly saying Edinburgh then Clerwood underneath as more than half of the route is already in Edinburgh but the 15 it good work Edinburgh then Waterloo Place.

buslad1988

Don’t think it’s a case of them not making the effort; more they just don’t see it necessary to fill the screens up.

They probably added via points to the 140/141 purely to emphasise the Bush/Roslin split as it was a new thing.

Likewise the use of ‘via Murrayfield’ to services on event days there.

Every stop has a timetable case clearly listing each routes main destinations and via points. The new real time displays will also show more information than ever before! If the average punter/tourist cannot read them in preparation for the bus coming then that’s really their own fault.

Not to mention those folk who board clearly screened part route buses then protest when they reach the terminating point.

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I feel like maybe not all would require a via point but some could benefit. Especially those that travel in and out of Edinburgh from Midlothian, East Lothian and West Lothian depending on the route. Like the 26 would look silly saying Edinburgh then Clerwood underneath as more than half of the route is already in Edinburgh but the 15 it good work Edinburgh then Waterloo Place.

To be fair, that would be the exception if the service terminates beyond the city centre. When the 43 was first rerouted to Waterloo Place it had Edinburgh: Waterloo Place as a destination before just changing to Edinburgh. I think the subtitle makes all the difference personally. ECB has three different Edinburgh City Centre Termini so it wouldn't be too much to go through the extra trouble of being more specific on the destination blind.

Don’t think it’s a case of them not making the effort; more they just don’t see it necessary to fill the screens up.

Ironically the ECB/LCB services destinations are filling the screen up, it's too cluttered. Saying that, however, I do get what you mean. I just don't think that extra detail would do any harm, but I'm only thinking if I ran a bus company.
With the new Gyle-Cramond service seemingly starting from Balerno this would suggest that the 63 will be curtailed, in my opinion to Hermiston Gait. I’ve been working out what I think is a slightly better idea for a while and I’ll post it in the speculative ideas thread in due course.

If that is the case then the 63 has no need to go to Balerno anymore, and Balerno would still have a link to the Gyle which is a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

cam22

With the new Gyle-Cramond service seemingly starting from Balerno this would suggest that the 63 will be curtailed, in my opinion to Hermiston Gait. I’ve been working out what I think is a slightly better idea for a while and I’ll post it in the speculative ideas thread in due course.
Is there a source for this info? Is the operator announced for this as I don’t realise it was out for tender yet?

Some years ago they did show Stagecoach buses to Fife, but First didn't/wouldn't supply the data.
Around the mid-2010s I thought both Stagecoach and First vehicles were tracked in real time and displayed on these boards, at least in the Edinburgh Council area. One operator used a full stop prefix for the service number and the other had a hyphen if I remember rightly, to avoid data mixups between operators with the same route numbers.

Lothianbus703

On the old Lothian thread there was talk of "B7" projects that were to modernise the B7TL's.
Is there any information on what exactly these were, what happened to them and did the projects ever start.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
On the old Lothian thread there was talk of "B7" projects that were to modernise the B7TL's.
Is there any information on what exactly these were, what happened to them and did the projects ever start.
Other than 779 every single B7TL was sold on to another operator, none of which had been changed, so the project was obviously scrapped if it ever was a thing

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does anyone know the full list of what routes are run by each depot
1 - Central
2 - Central
3 - Longstone
4 - Marine
5 - Marine
7 - Central
8 - Central
9 - Central
10 - Central
11 - Central
12 - Marine
14 - Central
15 - Central
16 - Central
19 - Marine
21 - Marine
22 - Central
23 - Central
24 - Central
25 - Longstone
26 - Marine
27 - Central
29 - Central
30 - Longstone
31 - Central
33 - Longstone
34 - Longstone
35 - Longstone
36 - Longstone
37 - Central
38 - Longstone
44 - Longstone/Central
45 - Marine
46 - Marine
47 - Central
48 - Marine
49 - Marine
100 - Central
200 - Longstone
400 - Longstone
N3 - Central (1 from Longstone on weekends)
N11 - Central
N16 - central
N22 - Longstone
N25 - Central
N26 - Central
N30 - Longstone
N31 - Longstone
N37 - Central
N44 - Longstone
X26 - Marine
X29 - Central
X31 - Central