• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

stevenedin

Established Member
On that topic, what routes are likely to be the first to see these new vehicles? I know that the 4 EVs Lothian currently have spent time on the 24, 8, 9, 23 and 10- is it fair to say that these are the most likely routes?
I would imagine so being that the new buses will have reduced capacity and those routes are slightly quieter than the likes of the 11, 16, 31 etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
On that topic, what routes are likely to be the first to see these new vehicles? I know that the 4 EVs Lothian currently have spent time on the 24, 8, 9, 23 and 10- is it fair to say that these are the most likely routes?

I've heard basically the routes the BYDs have done, 8/9/10/23/24/27 etc. Though I imagine they'll stray everywhere given there's going to be 50 of them and the battery use is so good.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
I've heard basically the routes the BYDs have done, 8/9/10/23/24/27 etc. Though I imagine they'll stray everywhere given there's going to be 50 of them and the battery use is so good.
How many blocks featuring peak X routes are there, and of them how many only do a couple of trips? I would think those would be fairly likely to have electrics on them as they have more opportunities to charge during the day.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
How many blocks featuring peak X routes are there, and of them how many only do a couple of trips? I would think those would be fairly likely to have electrics on them as they have more opportunities to charge during the day.
At Central there are 19 peak running boards in the morning and 18 in the afternoon, if I've got it right. Some of the afternoon ones do stay on for the rest of the day though. This list includes peak trips on non X routes.
This doesn't include the ones for service 1.

AM X47 Cammo > Fredrick Street 9 Hanover Street > Kings Buildings
AM X31 Rosewell > Edinburgh 9 Hanover Street > Kings Buildings
AM 10 Ocean Terminal > Bonaly > Ocean Terminal > Bonaly > Ocean Terminal
AM 7 Royal Infirmary > Newhaven > Royal Infirmary
AM 11 Western Harbour > Hyvots Bank > Elm Row
AM 11 Kaimes > George Street
AM 12 Leith > Holyrood 14 Duddingston Crossroads > Elm Row
AM 15 Elm Row > Bush > Tollcross > Bush > Elm Row
AM 15 Elm Row > Bush > Elm Row
AM 16 Elm Row > Torphin > Silverknowes
AM 22 Granton > Gyle > Granton
AM 29 Silverknowes > Gorebridge X29 Gorebridge > Edinburgh 34 Edinburgh > Heriot-Watt
AM 46 Rosewell > Polton 31 Polton Mill > East Craigs
AM X33 Birkenside > Fountainbridge 34 Fountainbridge > Heriot-Watt
AM 47 Queensferry Street > Cammo 47B Cammo > Easter Bush
AM 49 Foot of the Walk > Royal Infirmary
AM X31 Rosewell > Edinburgh
AM 37 Penicuik > Silverknowes > Penicuik X37 Penicuik > Granton
AM X37 Penicuik > Granton
PM 9 Kings Buildings > Hanover Street X31 Edinburgh > Rosewell
PM 9 Kings Buildings > Hanover Street 44 Edinburgh > Balerno
PM 10 Elm Row > Bonaly > Ocean Terminal > Bonaly > Ocean Terminal
PM 11 Elm Row > Fairmilehead X29 Edinburgh > GorebridgeMon-Thurs
PM X29 Edinburgh > GorebridgeFri, Hols
PM 15 Elm Row > Easter Bush > Fairmilehead > Western Harbour > Hyvots Bank
PM 46 Polton > Rosewell 15 Bush > Usher Hall X31 Edinburgh > RosewellMon-Thurs
PM 15 Bush > Usher Hall X31 Edinburgh > RosewellFri, Hols
PM 16 Elm Row > Torphin > Silverknowes > Torphin > Silverknowes > Torphin
PM 22 Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Elm Row
PM 24 Royal Infirmary > Fredrick Street X47 Fredrick Street > Cammo
PM X47 Fredrick Street > Cammo 31 East Craigs > Bonnyrigg > Elm Row
PM 31 East Craigs > Polton Mill > East Craigs > Polton Mill > Elm Row
PM 47 Queensferry Street > Cammo > Penicuik 47B Penicuik > Cammo 47 Cammo > Penicuik > Cammo > Penicuik > Elm Row
PM X31 Edinburgh > Rosewell
PM X37 Granton > Penicuik
PM X47 Fredrick Street > Cammo 47 Cammo > Penicuik > Cammo > Penicuik > Cammo > Penicuik

The morning Central X44 which changes onto a 24 now also continues as a 7 for the rest of the day, hence why it is not listed. There is also an X31 that changes to a 37, and a X47 that changes to a 23.
In the afternoon, the Central 34/X33 comes off the 47.

Last edited:

nesw

At Central there are 19 peak running boards in the morning and 18 in the afternoon, if I've got it right. Some of the afternoon ones do stay on for the rest of the day though. This list includes peak trips on non X routes.

AM 29 Silverknowes > Gorebridge X29 Gorebridge > Edinburgh 34 Edinburgh > Heriot-Watt
PM 22 Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Granton > Gyle > Elm Row
PM 47 Queensferry Street > Cammo > Penicuik 47B Penicuik > Cammo 47 Cammo > Penicuik > Cammo > Penicuik > Elm Row
PM X47 Fredrick Street > Cammo 47 Cammo > Penicuik > Cammo > Penicuik > Cammo > Penicuik

The morning Central X44 which changes onto a 24 now also continues as a 7 for the rest of the day, hence why it is not listed. There is also an X31 that changes to a 37, and a X47 that changes to a 23.
Cross linking of services can be determined by the trip numbers shown on Bustimes. A block of trips usually continues in sequence when the vehicle moves to a different route.

stantheman

On Moderation
I noted a lot of training bus activity in Currie recently. Is this to do with new Barnton service?

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Still haven't managed to see a pic of a BZL!
Clearly nobody has one that they can publicly share yet. No doubt as soon as a photo appears, people will be climbing over eachother to post it here. In the meantime, it's best to wait and see.

paul47B

A lot of hard work put into that.

roadierway77

I have a query regarding Lothian's moquette and I was wondering if anybody here had an answer. Recently I've travelled on two buses that had seats fitted with Lothian's modern moquette that as far as I'm aware have never been with Lothian. One was 131D38412, ex-SN13CHL, an Enviro400 which was originally with First London and then Tower Transit and is now with Ashbourne Connect in Ireland, and the other was AJ58PZO, an Enviro200 MCV Evolution new to South Wales Transport and then passing to Uno, now with Squarepeg. Is there a reason these vehicles have seats fitted with Lothian's modern moquette? Is it perhaps a type that is easily available or cheap?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I have a query regarding Lothian's moquette and I was wondering if anybody here had an answer. Recently I've travelled on two buses that had seats fitted with Lothian's modern moquette that as far as I'm aware have never been with Lothian. One was 131D38412, ex-SN13CHL, an Enviro400 which was originally with First London and then Tower Transit and is now with Ashbourne Connect in Ireland, and the other was AJ58PZO, an Enviro200 MCV Evolution new to South Wales Transport and then passing to Uno, now with Squarepeg. Is there a reason these vehicles have seats fitted with Lothian's modern moquette? Is it perhaps a type that is easily available or cheap?
It's one of many moquette's available by Camira Fabrics. It's not Lothian's own moquette design.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Lots of buses doing unusual things yesterday because of the Edinburgh Marathon; unfortunately I didn't get any pictures.
Towards the evening I noticed a lot of buses on services 26 and 44 coming from Musselburgh towards the city centre but there didn't seem to be one single destination on the screens; most were showing one of City Centre, Waterloo Place, Waverley, St Andrew Square, Princes Street, or Not In Service. I'm surprised that Lothian didn't set a standard screen to be used.
My question is: were these just run as duplicates of the existing 26 and 44s thus not needing any additional registration?

buslad1988

Lots of buses doing unusual things yesterday because of the Edinburgh Marathon; unfortunately I didn't get any pictures.
Towards the evening I noticed a lot of buses on services 26 and 44 coming from Musselburgh towards the city centre but there didn't seem to be one single destination on the screens; most were showing one of City Centre, Waterloo Place, Waverley, St Andrew Square, Princes Street, or Not In Service. I'm surprised that Lothian didn't set a standard screen to be used.
My question is: were these just run as duplicates of the existing 26 and 44s thus not needing any additional registration?
These would have just been duplicates; mainly to shuttle participants and spectators rather than picking up en route. The standard 26 service was running part route Levenhall only.

What did cause chaos was a broken down Bright Bus on Princes Street by the galleries with a tram stuck behind it. Buses had to run non stop past the stops at Scott Monument to avoid blocking the road entirely. Around 3.5-4 hours in total it took to wait for recovery and be towed away.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
These would have just been duplicates; mainly to shuttle participants and spectators rather than picking up en route. The standard 26 service was running part route Levenhall only.
Ah right, thanks.
What did cause chaos was a broken down Bright Bus on Princes Street by the galleries with a tram stuck behind it. Buses had to run non stop past the stops at Scott Monument to avoid blocking the road entirely.
I saw a Bright Bus with a tram immediately behind it and wondered if the tram had hit it, so your comment clears that up, thanks.

There were also several taxis double parking outside The Balmoral and blocking the road westbound for a while too.

Around 3.5-4 hours in total it took to wait for recovery and be towed away.
It wouldn't be a good look but if Bright Bus vehicles kept braking down in key locations and that disproportionately affected Lothian Buses and caused a loss of reputation or revenue, I wonder if Lothian could do anything legal-y to get compensation?

scosutsut

It wouldn't be a good look but if Bright Bus vehicles kept braking down in key locations and that disproportionately affected Lothian Buses and caused a loss of reputation or revenue, I wonder if Lothian could do anything legal-y to get compensation?
I'd doubt it, but it could be a factor a Traffic Commissioner (TC) could look at if at a fleet wide level any particular operator was having persistent maintenance issues

That is if a TC could be found willing to actually appear to do anything.

Bus9120UK

Established Member

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Is there any reason why X47s are reguarly running through Cramond and not direct via Queensferry Road? I assume driver error? 694 did this today.

On another note, Lothian have started hinting towards their new app on X (formerly Twitter) and Facebook. The X post is here.

Reckon this will be something to connect Lothian and Eve Coaches together?

buslad1988

Is there any reason why X47s are reguarly running through Cramond and not direct via Queensferry Road? I assume driver error? 694 did this today.
The driver would have been instructed to do this by control. Often it can be quicker to travel through Crammond due to congestion on Queensferry Road (hence why the standard 47 now does this all the time). It’s just to keep buses moving and get people where they need to be quicker.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Reckon this will be something to connect Lothian and Eve Coaches together?
I would assume it's combining ticketing and bus tracking in one app (hence 'Buy Plan Travel'). Given they've tagged Urban Things I'd suggest that the app will be very similar to the ones that Newport Bus, Ipswich Bus among other operators have.
It would be a good opportunity to incorporate Eve Coaches routes though, if possible at this time.

Last edited:

stantheman

On Moderation
There is a rail replacement service this weekend between Edinburgh and Kirknewton. Will this be Lothian operated and does anyone know it gets from Curriehill to Kirknewton?

A330Alex

The new app will combine the journey planner and mTickets app. There are some details within this video including someone from Lothian discussing the app and their operational challenges.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
There is a rail replacement service this weekend between Edinburgh and Kirknewton. Will this be Lothian operated and does anyone know it gets from Curriehill to Kirknewton?
If it’s Lothian it would be Motorcoaches operated, and likely up the back road between Kirknewton and Balerno then along the A71

iij

Lothian included Eve Coaches representation in this year's driver of the year competition.

Lothian has crowned a new Driver of the Year following its annual Bus Driver of the Year final at the Royal Highland Centre in Ingliston on Tuesday 28 May.

17 finalists from across the Lothian Group competed on the day, excelling in three specially designed challenges – a theory test, a practical road driving test and an obstacle course.

Thomas Gilhooley of East Coast Buses took first place overall, with Gary Black and John O’Hara, of Lothian’s Airlink and Longstone teams respectively, making up the podium.

Lothian will now send representatives to the UK Bus Driver of the Year Final in Blackpool later in the year, hoping to go one better than last year’s incredible result, when two of the award-winning operator’s’ drivers finished in the top three.

Baileygirl

Lothian included Eve Coaches representation in this year's driver of the year competition.

Why was there no one from Lothian Motorcoaches?

paul47B

Today on Drum Brae North, I noticed 2 Lothian driver training buses. Is a new route being planned on that road? Both stopped at the stop near Craigmount Avenue North. That's where the old 32 and 52 used to go.

Auld reekie

Today on Drum Brae North, I noticed 2 Lothian driver training buses. Is a new route being planned on that road? Both stopped at the stop near Craigmount Avenue North. That's where the old 32 and 52 used to go.
There is a new route from Balerno to Cramond so that could be part of the route.