• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

NorthEastern

I would doubt that 937-950 would be leaving this year anyway as they aren’t the oldest buses in the fleet. There is still 841-850 (57 reg), 905-906 (08 reg), 926-931 & 933-936 (09 reg) which are older.

Possibly some of 937-950 could be transferred to Lothian Country to replace 841-850, 931 & 933-936.
I spotted 926 in George St on a 10 today, looking freshly painted

Attachments

• IMG_6695.jpeg
    IMG_6695.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

I spotted 926 in George St on a 10 today, looking freshly painted
It got painted recently along with 927 and 928 before coming back into the fleet. I can’t see them leaving for a while. They will probably get rid of 1141-1153 and some of 1000-1028 & 1030-1050 before the others now that I’m thinking about it as they have less capacity.

I was on the X28 today and every seat was filled. This was on 848 so the demand is there at times.

Busman757

Airlink 100 will relocate back to Waverley Bridge from 24th June (Alongside Brightbus services) as part of the Jenner redevelopment works. Works should last 2 years.

stevenedin

Airlink 100 will relocate back to Waverley Bridge from 24th June (Alongside Brightbus services) as part of the Jenner redevelopment works. Works should last 2 years.
I wonder why Bright Bus is moving as well. Surely it makes sense for them to serve Waverley Steps and Airlink to serve Waverley Bridge so it provides access depending on where you come out of the station.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I wonder why Bright Bus is moving as well. Surely it makes sense for them to serve Waverley Steps and Airlink to serve Waverley Bridge so it provides access depending on where you come out of the station.
In my eyes, just taking advantage of it to compete, even though they aren't affected by the works prompting Airlink to move!

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

That is quite a surprise, never thought I would see any service serve Waverly Bridge again.

See no reason as to why Bright Bus has to also serve Waverly Bridge since I thought having it run via Waterloo Place was more convenient.

Vectron383

426’s paint has started turning purple on some panels- especially under the driver’s window. Weren’t these vehicles a more recent-ish repaint?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
426’s paint has started turning purple on some panels- especially under the driver’s window. Weren’t these vehicles a more recent-ish repaint?
I've wanted these vehicles to be repainted for over a year now but sadly it hasn't happened. They (426-430) were repainted in 2017 so are most certainly due a repaint, and I see no reason why they shouldn't as they are painting the XLBs which all have a newer paint job. Unless there are plans for these buses to be cascaded?

Further details on the Jenners redevelopement and Airlink terminus relocation https://drscottarthur.scot/2024/05/02/jenners-and-waverley-bridge-update/

As you will be aware, work on the redevelopment of the Jenners building is now underway. To safely facilitate this work, a change to traffic management arrangements in the area is proposed. This includes changes to traffic priorities, pedestrian access and bus stop arrangements. A temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) will be advertised shortly, with temporary arrangements expected to be in place for approximately 2 years.

The TTRO will come into effect on 24th June 2024. Below is a copy of the South St. David Street traffic management layout plan for your information. This layout requires us to move the Airlink buses from South St. David Street for the duration of the works. In order to provide an alternative bus stop for this service the TTRO will introduce a bus gate on Waverley Bridge, reopening the bridge for to the airport bus services provided by Lothian and McGill’s buses. Bus operators are aware of this change, and they are in the process of applying to the Traffic Commissioner for permission to amend their services for this period. Bus operators understand that the reopening of Waverley Bridge is a short-term measure, and that the expectation is that they will return to their current stops once the work at Jenners is complete. No other traffic will be permitted to access Princes Street from Waverley Bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

I've wanted these vehicles to be repainted for over a year now but sadly it hasn't happened. They (426-430) were repainted in 2017 so are most certainly due a repaint, and I see no reason why they shouldn't as they are painting the XLBs which all have a newer paint job. Unless there are plans for these buses to be cascaded?
426-436 could be candidates to replace 841-850 or 931 & 933-936 at Lothian Country once the new buses arrive.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
426-436 could be candidates to replace 841-850 or 931 & 933-936 at Lothian Country once the new buses arrive.

High mileage 9 year old B5TLs that are relegated pretty much to the 22 and other short city routes, can't see them being ideal candidates for intense country routes.

High mileage 9 year old B5TLs that are relegated pretty much to the 22 and other short city routes, can't see them being ideal candidates for intense country routes.
Why are they high mileage? They started off on Skylink (or was it Airlink) but they've been off that just on standard City routes for a while now haven't they?
What's the alternative?
20/70 plates (400MMC): are all fairly recent paints (from new?), I guess those transferring is a possibility.
19 plates: recently repainted and they wouldn't transfer out the XLBs anyway.
18 plates: none left in City anyway.
17 plates: the Zoo ones I'd imagine are high mileage anyway, and the same with the Skylink ones. The Zoo ones have been repainted recently? Or were they just polished? Not sure about the paint on the Skylink ones.
66 plates: haven't these just been recently painted?
64 plates and earlier: I can't see these being transferred due to them all having low back seats.

stevenedin

Why are they high mileage? They started off on Skylink (or was it Airlink) but they've been off that just on standard City routes for a while now haven't they?
What's the alternative?
20/70 plates (400MMC): are all fairly recent paints (from new?), I guess those transferring is a possibility.
17 plates: the Zoo ones I'd imagine are high mileage anyway, and the same with the Skylink ones. The Zoo ones have been repainted recently? Or were they just polished? Not sure about the paint on the Skylink ones.
64 plates and earlier: I can't see these being transferred due to them all having low back seats.
The only other option would be for some 11 plates or some ex London to move to Lothian Country (ones that are needing a repaint). Most of the city fleet have had their livery refreshed in recent years.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
What's the alternative?
They started Airlink, then split between Lothian (426-430) and Skylink (431-437). 431-437 later joined the city fleet still in Skylink colours operating services 45 and then 41 until they were repainted madder in 2021.
As for the zoo ones, most of them were given a polish with lower panels between the wheels repainted. 470, 489 and 494 were repainted entirely with masking covering the zoo wrap.

It's not unusual for Lothian to repaint buses within a few years - for example 232 which was painted into yellow in 2019/20, into 3 Bridges Tour last year and is now white!
Buses 571-590 were new as Skylink. 571-575 were painted white within a few years, then later painted again into green and cream alongside 576. 577 and 578 also joined them later on, while 579-590 were painted madder, and this was all within two years of being new. They all have since been repainted again into green and white around late 2022 into 2023.

CSB0241

On Moderation
Is the 98 running this weekend for Brickfest? The timetable was on bustimes for a couple days but was taken down, & there was no mention of it on the Lothian website or app whatsoever.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
One of the Skylinks been involved in an RTC on Gilmerton Road at Morrisons, not sure how bad but the bus stop suffered much worse

ScotRail158725

Established Member
510 looks to have minimal damage. The car involved is much worst.
Yeah 510, just 2 damaged panels. One of the two cars were stolen being chased by the police which is how it happened. The roads reopening just now everything is cleared, 510 is parked beside morrisons

Darklord8899

....as I was coming home from work today (after 3pm) I saw a Skylink being towed heading down Longstone Road, from Calder Road...could well have been 510 then I saw

F262YTJ

Passed 2 BZLs in Lothian livery on the M271 in Southampton a few minutes ago on trade plates. Looks like they have MCV bodywork.

H00V3R

Does anyone know what the longest shift a bus itself does? Was on a 113 this morning and noticed it goes onto the N107 after service! Looking through the timetable it starts on the 0434 from Musselburgh then won’t return until roughly 0145 on its empty run back from Haddington

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Does anyone know what the longest shift a bus itself does? Was on a 113 this morning and noticed it goes onto the N107 after service! Looking through the timetable it starts on the 0434 from Musselburgh then won’t return until roughly 0145 on its empty run back from Haddington
I believe at least one of the Airlink ones is longer -
One of the Airlink blocks leaves the garage at 0343 and returns at 0116. Usually the bus is fuelled, cleaned and back out again around 0330-0430.

Vectron383

Anyone seen a photo of the BZLs yet? One of the posts above says that some are indeed in the country… understand there’s a low chance of anyone getting a good photo yet but just curious!