• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Anti social behavior unfortunately... Another night of more buses getting attacked
Heard that a 400 got bricked at Moredun last night, putting out the glass in the entrance door. With what happened at Clermiston last week it's maybe now time for LB to rethink its service provision to housing schemes after 7pm if this behaviour is going to be a regular occurrence.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Heard that a 400 got bricked at Moredun last night, putting out the glass in the entrance door. With what happened at Clermiston last week it's maybe now time for LB to rethink its service provision to housing schemes after 7pm if this behaviour is going to be a regular occurrence.
It’s a hard one, because they still want to try and provide the service to those that need it. But more importantly nobody should be getting this happening to them, passengers or staff. I’m sure any decisions needed will be made in due course.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Oh right, aye i walked right past the entrance of 499 parked on Criagour Avenue last night but hadn’t noticed any damage to it obviously not noticing the smashed door

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Only 826-840 and 851-873 are withdrawn and/or potentially sold at this stage. You’ve still got the ex Coaches ones 841-850 in use at Lothiancountry (841-843) and EastCoastbuses (844-850) plus 874-875 at Central. As I’ve said before I don’t think these will be going (if they do go) until the new ones arrive and then those and potentially some 08 plates are withdrawn/sold, depending on the situation at that time.

None of the 50 AVL’s have been removed from the proper data feed (tfeapp.com/live) at this stage but when that does start to happen that’s when the vehicle has been fully removed and is no longer a part of the fleet, until then it’s just speculation unless somebody has seen pictures, for example I recall seeing a few photos of one (think it was 835) at what looked like Ensign - which interestingly if correct isn’t one of those removed from bustimes.org

So until there’s concrete on what’s where - which will happen in the not too distant future, there’s no point speculating which ones have and haven’t gone.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Only 826-840 and 851-873 are withdrawn and/or potentially sold at this stage. You’ve still got the ex Coaches ones 841-850 in use at Lothiancountry (841-843) and EastCoastbuses (844-850) plus 874-875 at Central. As I’ve said before I don’t think these will be going (if they do go) until the new ones arrive and then those and potentially some 08 plates are withdrawn/sold, depending on the situation at that time.

None of the 50 AVL’s have been removed from the proper data feed (tfeapp.com/live) at this stage but when that does start to happen that’s when the vehicle has been fully removed and is no longer a part of the fleet, until then it’s just speculation unless somebody has seen pictures, for example I recall seeing a few photos of one (think it was 835) at what looked like Ensign - which interestingly if correct isn’t one of those removed from bustimes.org

So until there’s concrete on what’s where - which will happen in the not too distant future, there’s no point speculating which ones have and haven’t gone.
837 is the one photographed at Ensign (SK07 CBY, 835 is CBV so can see how you’ve confused them. theres a bunch more than just 837 though

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
837 is the one photographed at Ensign (SK07 CBY, 835 is CBV so can see how you’ve confused them. theres a bunch more than just 837 though
Should’ve trusted my gut instinct, not sure why I said 835. I can see why I need a new pair of glasses :)

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I'd put money on 874-925 (minus the bridges ones) hanging around for a while in storage even after the new buses come if service levels return to some semblance of normality later in the year.

Not sure how many B7TLs were left at the end of March last year, but the currently withdrawn/sold B9TLs plus the above batch would probably leave them short of deckers if it's only 50 new ones coming (although I've heard the remainder may still be on order but for the end of the year/early 2021?).

OmniCity999

Established Member
I'd put money on 874-925 (minus the bridges ones) hanging around for a while in storage even after the new buses come if service levels return to some semblance of normality later in the year.

Not sure how many B7TLs were left at the end of March last year, but the currently withdrawn/sold B9TLs plus the above batch would probably leave them short of deckers if it's only 50 new ones coming (although I've heard the remainder may still be on order but for the end of the year/early 2021?).
current order is still open, 50 in the near future - the rest, who knows.

Wont be many B8L's though i believe.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

Unbelievable I was on a 400 last week and this happened, when will folk learn not to be so selfish and ignorant, it angers me beyond belief how folk can be so stupid

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Unbelievable I was on a 400 last week and this happened, when will folk learn not to be so selfish and ignorant, it angers me beyond belief how folk can be so stupid
I’ve just seen it happen. I knew the kids were gonna do it but 101 at times is hopeless. Must’ve hit bodywork as bus was able to continue. I really hope that more people don’t get injured but I don’t think this is the end of this sadly.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
That's why you can use 999 for things like that.
In this case stones were being thrown from behind and at bodywork (not windows - although that may have just been bad throwing) and the bus kept going - driver did briefly check and presumably radioed it through so I felt that 999 wasn’t appropriate in this case, had it been worse I agree 999 would definitely have been the way to go.

By the time I had rang the bus had moved off anyway so it’s a tricky one.

EDIT: The police are now in the area checking bus stops so they’ve been made aware.

Established Member
In this case stones were being thrown from behind and at bodywork (not windows - although that may have just been bad throwing) and the bus kept going - driver did briefly check and presumably radioed it through so I felt that 999 wasn’t appropriate in this case, had it been worse I agree 999 would definitely have been the way to go.

By the time I had rang the bus had moved off anyway so it’s a tricky one.

EDIT: The police are now in the area checking bus stops so they’ve been made aware.
If the offenders are still in the area, then that is an appropriate use of the 999 system for future reference.

scotrail158713

Established Member
It’s a hard one, because they still want to try and provide the service to those that need it. But more importantly nobody should be getting this happening to them, passengers or staff. I’m sure any decisions needed will be made in due course.
It's definitely a hard one. On the one hand, stopping services would get the message across that they don't tolerate such behaviour. However, you're then punishing the majority for the actions of a stupid minority. Not an easy decision either way.

Ceat0908

Hi folks. Apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum to ask this question or if it has been covered before. I remember seeing an article a while ago about lothian/ECC looking to close every second bus stops or something like that, to speed up journey times. Has this started to take place, specifically around the Cameron toll area, or is this to do with spaces for people.

SpeedbirdA350

https://twitter.com/Mr_Mark_Brown/status/1370491589127241733 (Image taken by driver, reposted by Cllr Mark Brown)

EwT21fiWQAIYQ0-

Something will have to be done and fast as this is not an isolated incident. While they want to have a service to every part of the city; driver safety and passenger safety comes first and if that means they need to avoid areas, then so be it.

It's definitely a hard one. On the one hand, stopping services would get the message across that they don't tolerate such behaviour. However, you're then punishing the majority for the actions of a stupid minority. Not an easy decision either way.
It's a straightforward decision in my opinion. Do you wait until a brick hits someone on the head and kills them, or do you act now, remove the services from the troubled areas and reassess the situation? We are lucky that a driver was not blinded when a brick was thrown through the windscreen last weekend and glass went in to his face. It's only a matter of time.

I do, however, wonder if the union will force their hand.

Hi folks. Apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum to ask this question or if it has been covered before. I remember seeing an article a while ago about lothian/ECC looking to close every second bus stops or something like that, to speed up journey times. Has this started to take place, specifically around the Cameron toll area, or is this to do with spaces for people.
Much of what you see at the moment is for spaces for people.

Last edited:

Ceat0908

https://twitter.com/Mr_Mark_Brown/status/1370491589127241733 (Image taken by Cllr Mark Brown)

EwT21fiWQAIYQ0-

Something will have to be done and fast as this is not an isolated incident. While they want to have a service to every part of the city; driver safety and passenger safety comes first and if that means they need to avoid areas, then so be it.

It's a straightforward decision in my opinion. Do you wait until a brick hits someone on the head and kills them, or do you act now, remove the services from the troubled areas and reassess the situation? We are lucky that a driver was not blinded when a brick was thrown through the windscreen last weekend and glass went in to his face. It's only a matter of time.

Much of what you see at the moment is for spaces for people
Thank you

DunsBus

Established Member
https://twitter.com/Mr_Mark_Brown/status/1370491589127241733 (Image taken by Cllr Mark Brown)

EwT21fiWQAIYQ0-

When LRT as was first started running into Moredun with the 36 and 69 in 1988, these were "working day" services which finished at 7pm and so vandalism at nights there wasn't a problem.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
current order is still open, 50 in the near future - the rest, who knows.

Wont be many B8L's though i believe.

Surprised there's any B8Ls in the order or was it the case they were already in build?

Even if there's no more after the 50 I think resulting fleet would be exceptionally modern comparison to other similar sized companies.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

EwT21fiWQAIYQ0-

Yea enough is enough. It was bad enough eggs and small stones being thrown but it’s now at the stage where it’s whole bricks, something that could easily kill somebody. Certain areas have now seen more cover and combine the factor that kids know they can get away with it it’s actually only getting worse. Perhaps a total withdrawal of all services after a certain time might eventually happen, and I would be for that.

Hopefully this is the peak of it and that it begins to quieten down, sadly it’s something that won’t stop but I can help but think it’s the ‘trend’ at the minute, it was joy riding bikes before and now it’s this.

I want to try and get my words right as I don’t want to offend anyone or say the wrong thing but I hope you all get what I mean by what I’ve said, I’m not saying it’s right that anyone should be assaulted at work. I’ve never been physically assaulted but I can imagine some of what it would be like, I can’t say I know what it’s like as it’s never happened to me and I certainly wouldn’t wish the throwing of objects at staff on anyone. Nobody should feel scared to do what they do.

OmniCity999

Established Member
The image was taken by the driver, not the councillor - he's just getting involved, to get involved.

but this isnt the place to discuss the uselessness of local councillors.

Surprised there's any B8Ls in the order or was it the case they were already in build?

Even if there's no more after the 50 I think resulting fleet would be exceptionally modern comparison to other similar sized companies.
Initial B5TL's, the image of which has been shared online, were initially built for East Coast - changed for main fleet pre interior fit out.

Led to believe the East Coast examples will come at the end of the order now.

I think there might still be some B8L's but not many, Volvo started building the chassis so they are available.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Is the image anywhere else than Facebook?

I can't seem to find it on Facebook or Flickr either.
It wasnt on Flickr.

i dont have permission to share the image so i've shared the link to it. Click here.

As they were initially to be built for East Coast in "coach spec" there isnt a glass staircase. I believe the rest of the batch is to follow suit.

The bodies were built for East Coast, Lothian started selling B9's, then switched the early batch to an order for Lothian so they were fitted out for main fleet. At that point, the B8L's were delayed. East Coast deckers will follow on.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
=
It wasnt on Flickr.

i dont have permission to share the image so i've shared the link to it. Click here.

As they were initially to be built for East Coast in "coach spec" there isnt a glass staircase. I believe the rest of the batch is to follow suit.

The bodies were built for East Coast, Lothian started selling B9's, then switched the early batch to an order for Lothian so they were fitted out for main fleet. At that point, the B8L's were delayed. East Coast deckers will follow on.

I've seen more pictures of them (obviously not able to share) and looks like they've got the new ADL SmartSeats.

Personally I think they look better without the glass staircase, it suits the E400City body but not the standard body in my opinion.