• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Having just had a look through twitter I've seen a much closer shot of the bus and it's one of 401-425. Not sure how to link tweets to the forum but searching "Edinburgh bus fire" it's one of the recent news articles.
I’ve seen the video as well, the glow on the picture looks purple but the video shows an advert frame.

405 looks to be the more likely one now. Tracking in a straight line towards Rosewell.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I’ve seen the video as well, the glow on the picture looks purple but the video shows an advert frame.

405 looks to be the more likely one now. Tracking in a straight line towards Rosewell.
Looks like 418 to me. Could also he 405 as mentioned although the destinations don't look like Hanover's.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It went there yesterday as far as I'm aware.

Looking at it's tracking history it went there some time between 0450 and 0604 -

Also I believe 421-425 are are away for repaint even though they're tracking in different places on different websites.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It’s more than likely 405. If you look on Visual Edinburgh it’s travelling light from Marine to Rosewell in a straight line and is next to Royal Infirmary - a comparable distance.

407 went to Seafield last night.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
I've just been reading up about diesel engines in motor vehicles and the fact that the vehicles should be periodically run at high speed, to allow the diesel engine to reach a high enough temperature to enable the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to function properly. Is this something which the standard duty cycle of City vehicles allows? If not, is that something which could cause damage to the engine or exhaust system?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I've just been reading up about diesel engines in motor vehicles and the fact that the vehicles should be periodically run at high speed, to allow the diesel engine to reach a high enough temperature to enable the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to function properly. Is this something which the standard duty cycle of City vehicles allows? If not, is that something which could cause damage to the engine or exhaust system?

Euro 6 (as new) buses periodically go into exhaust regeneration mode, which generally increases revs and it stays in a lower gear for longer. I suppose not much different to euro 6 diesel cars, but it's definitely noticeable in terms of driving performance (and a dashboard warning) whereas in my euro 6 diesel car I don't notice it happening.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Will the E400 XLB's get re-ordered for the 113, and other East Coast Buses routes?
I suspect once the East Coast Buses and Lothian Country Buses fleets are merged there will not be a huge need for new vehicles for those two companies. If there is a small deficit I would expect vehicles to just be transferred from the City fleet, or a small order added to the end of the next City order for E400MMCs.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I wasn't the one that started the rumour. I though Lothian ordered some in 2019 until they then ordered the MCV's.
I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve seen that mentioned, certainly on this thread.

ECB were never due any XLB’s, and probably never will be.

Lothian Buses

On Moderation
Strange, I saw it mentioned a few years ago before I decided to join today and ask about it. I might be able to find a post about it and reply to it.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve seen that mentioned, certainly on this thread.

ECB were never due any XLB’s, and probably never will be.

I think the original 'rumour' was there was to be up to 8-12 dual door E400 B5TLs for ECB. Obviously the reality has turned into 691-698 at Central (saw 696 and 694 yesterday) and 591-594 going to ECB.

Perhaps 421-425 will join them at ECB to see off the remaining Motorcoach B9s?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think the original 'rumour' was there was to be up to 8-12 dual door E400 B5TLs for ECB. Obviously the reality has turned into 691-698 at Central (saw 696 and 694 yesterday) and 591-594 going to ECB.

Perhaps 421-425 will join them at ECB to see off the remaining Motorcoach B9s?
Yea I remember the original ECB B5TL rumours (this must have been at least two years ago now). I don’t think most at the time would have believed ADL would actually have put the MMC body onto a B5TL but alas that has happened, and arguably work better than the original Wright ones.

I think 421 will stay put as it’s already been repainted - it’s the one with the contactless branding. The other four could end up at ECB, but I think they’ll stay at Lothian - with 425 eventually ending up at Marine with the others. I think we’re more likely to see more Lothiancountry vehicles head to ECB, possibly adding 926-927 into the mix somewhere as well.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Yea I remember the original ECB B5TL rumours (this must have been at least two years ago now). I don’t think most at the time would have believed ADL would actually have put the MMC body onto a B5TL but alas that has happened, and arguably work better than the original Wright ones.

I think 421 will stay put as it’s already been repainted - it’s the one with the contactless branding. The other four could end up at ECB, but I think they’ll stay at Lothian - with 425 eventually ending up at Marine with the others. I think we’re more likely to see more Lothiancountry vehicles head to ECB, possibly adding 926-927 into the mix somewhere as well.

I also definitely don't think people's suggestions that 201-215 are to be sold are true (5 were out yesterday). Once service levels increase (along with all the new drivers coming in) I imagine they'll be reinstated. Particularly as the Scot Gov has announced an end to work from home guidance next month.

926/7 are Euro 6 and it's probably quite telling that they didn't go with the rest of the 09/59s

computerSaysNo

Established Member
How often are York Place services having to be diverted via Waterloo Place at the moment? Half the time when I check on the app they're showing as being diverted due to congestion.
I take it they haven't adjusted the traffic light phases to take into account the closed roads? That could help a bit.

buslad1988

How often are York Place services having to be diverted via Waterloo Place at the moment? Half the time when I check on the app they're showing as being diverted due to congestion.
I take it they haven't adjusted the traffic light phases to take into account the closed roads? That could help a bit.
Honestly I don’t think there is anything they can do as a ‘quick fix’ to solve the issues they’re having there at the moment. It’s an absolute nightmare on a daily basis; pretty much the entire day. Other than removing all traffic except buses/taxis/cycles (which the council would never agree to) it will always be chaos for the short-medium term. Even the bus gate at Waverley has been temporarily suspended now for diverted traffic so congestion is effecting services in that area now too.

Busman757

Honestly I don’t think there is anything they can do as a ‘quick fix’ to solve the issues they’re having there at the moment. It’s an absolute nightmare on a daily basis; pretty much the entire day. Other than removing all traffic except buses/taxis/cycles (which the council would never agree to) it will always be chaos for the short-medium term. Even the bus gate at Waverley has been temporarily suspended now for diverted traffic so congestion is effecting services in that area now too.
Bus gate? What bus gate? It’s never been enforced since it was instated. Same with taxis parking at the Balmoral. They aren’t allowed to (which causes chaos) but since it not enforced, they still do it anyways.

Lothian Buses

On Moderation

Waverley Bus Stops and Bus Stands will never come back. Everything is now at St Andrew's Sq. and I don't see it all getting reverted back after the Concrete Poles (or whatever) that block the road have been instated. I've not seen a vehicle up there since 2019.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
926/7 are Euro 6 and it's probably quite telling that they didn't go with the rest of the 09/59s
I’m right in saying all the B9s left in the fleet with the exception of possibly 841-850 are Euro 6 now?

Also looks like the bus that caught fire yesterday was either 409 or 414 as those are the only 2 that haven’t tracked since yesterday afternoon

Highland050261

On Moderation
I’m right in saying all the B9s left in the fleet with the exception of possibly 841-850 are Euro 6 now?

Also looks like the bus that caught fire yesterday was either 409 or 414 as those are the only 2 that haven’t tracked since yesterday afternoon
I think it was 405 looks like it’s tracker has been disconnected.