• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vectron383

On the topic of faulty destination displays, I did see an unusual display issue on the back screen of no.68 - other screens were unaffected.

Attachments

• 22AB5576-F938-48E0-B897-919775C93C2D.jpeg
    22AB5576-F938-48E0-B897-919775C93C2D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 162

Bus9120UK

Established Member
On the topic of faulty destination displays, I did see an unusual display issue on the back screen of no.68 - other screens were unaffected.
I saw this occur back in August. Alongside the huge rear destination, the front destination was smaller than normal. Side destination was also too big.

Sorry about low quality, my image from August showing the smaller destinations.
1643217156802.png

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Just a quick note to say that lvf.io has now been updated with more Lothian stuff added and more withdrawals now listed. 422-424 will only revert to normal regs once they return from repaint.

LVF works on a log based system and as such requires at least one piece of data to be stored before it appears on the list. This is why 594 (which only appeared as an active tracker for the first time today), 691 and others do not appear as yet as no service data has been recorded for them.

The issue with 1012 and 1013 is still ongoing and will take longer to resolve but it is being worked on.

Correcting the history data for 291 and 294 continues to go on but will again take a little longer to correct but 291 and 294 have now reverted to working correctly so all data from here forwards is correct, it’s just past data that is wrong now.

Still trying to ascertain what bus was double tracking with 591, we had a look at 1110 but couldn’t find anything to prove it. If anyone can help (with evidence to back it up) that would be much appreciated. Just trying to avoid a repeat of previous issues while the new data is low.

I have also updated the liveries on 11 plate B9TL’s on bustimes.org (many of which were wrong) and as such should (to the best of my knowledge) now be correct, I left 358 as it has not returned from repaint just yet but can see that somebody has already updated 422-424 which personally I would have left first. 594 should also be being moved to the ECB list shortly.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Still trying to ascertain what bus was double tracking with 591, we had a look at 1110 but couldn’t find anything to prove it. If anyone can help (with evidence to back it up) that would be much appreciated. Just trying to avoid a repeat of previous issues while the new data is low.
It's 1100, made a typo when confirmed this previously - my bad.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just a quick reminder to those posting photographs - please make sure that you're adding a descriptive caption to accompany each one. Please also make sure that any images have a photographer credit included if they're not your own and that you have permission to post them.

Thanks
:)

CN04NRJ

Established Member

It spent the full day on 31s.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Are the final runs from Herriot Watt still running to Wakefield Avenue then?

Yes.

Just a quick note to say that lvf.io has now been updated with more Lothian stuff added and more withdrawals now listed. 422-424 will only revert to normal regs once they return from repaint.

LVF works on a log based system and as such requires at least one piece of data to be stored before it appears on the list. This is why 594 (which only appeared as an active tracker for the first time today), 691 and others do not appear as yet as no service data has been recorded for them.

The issue with 1012 and 1013 is still ongoing and will take longer to resolve but it is being worked on.

Correcting the history data for 291 and 294 continues to go on but will again take a little longer to correct but 291 and 294 have now reverted to working correctly so all data from here forwards is correct, it’s just past data that is wrong now.

I have also updated the liveries on 11 plate B9TL’s on bustimes.org (many of which were wrong) and as such should (to the best of my knowledge) now be correct, I left 358 as it has not returned from repaint just yet but can see that somebody has already updated 422-424 which personally I would have left first. 594 should also be being moved to the ECB list shortly.

Not all of the 600s and BYDs will be accurate as they've still not got AVLs. 686 was on 2s last night in exchange for bus 12 but was still tracking as a 29.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Not all of the 600s and BYDs will be accurate as they've still not got AVLs. 686 was on 2s last night in exchange for bus 12 but was still tracking as a 29.
So it was, that seems like a pretty common issue if you look further into it. Perhaps LVF doesn’t like vehicle swaps as I’ve seen a similar issue with vehicles fitted with AVL’s, although is admittedly less frequent. Judging by it probably best to treat history files for vehicles minus AVL’s with caution for now.

gka472l

Talking of tracking issues, 592 has seemingly tracked at North Berwick for days, even weeks....was there on Monday and there were zero vehicles in attendance there as the doors were open and nothing parked at the back, would anyone happen to know where it might be located please?? I note that 591 has been mentioned, it was correctly showing on the 104 this morning as I spied it on Princes Street.

Thanks.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Talking of tracking issues, 592 has seemingly tracked at North Berwick for days, even weeks....was there on Monday and there were zero vehicles in attendance there as the doors were open and nothing parked at the back, would anyone happen to know where it might be located please?? I note that 591 has been mentioned, it was correctly showing on the 104 this morning as I spied it on Princes Street.

Thanks.
As has been mentioned previously 592 (and others) default to North Berwick when out of use. It’s a recycled AVL from one of the older tridents which used to sit there from time to time.

To find where it actually is when not in use is pot luck to be honest, but your best bet is usually either Marine or Musselburgh depots. Failing that try your best to use another source and see where it was last tracked in service.

alexf380

Established Member

Thanks.
592 is in service, had it the other day on a 140. The AVL doesn't work properly on that one, it's 3 minutes slower than the clock on the ticket machine and doesn't track.

VioletEclipse

that wouldn't have happened with roller blinds!
to be fair roller blinds weren't exactly too reliable, it wasn't uncommon for a bus to be displaying an inaccurate or non-existent route number and have buses with the incorrect destination, or sometimes displaying nothing at all. Also roller blinds were problematic with new services/destinations which weren't physically on the blinds. They were great and I, as well as many others, dearly miss them, but they had plenty of issues!

scosutsut

Sorry if this has been covered but assuming 841-850 are next for retirement, and ECB have got / are getting 591-4, any word on whether their PVR has dropped sufficiently or are we expecting more transfers in?

Not travelled on 841-40 but it seems a shame to let them go when they have nicer interiors for the longer routes like the 104 & 113.

gka472l

592 is in service, had it the other day on a 140. The AVL doesn't work properly on that one, it's 3 minutes slower than the clock on the ticket machine and doesn't track.

Thanks, one to look out for next time I'm up there.....

As has been mentioned previously 592 (and others) default to North Berwick when out of use. It’s a recycled AVL from one of the older tridents which used to sit there from time to time.

To find where it actually is when not in use is pot luck to be honest, but your best bet is usually either Marine or Musselburgh depots. Failing that try your best to use another source and see where it was last tracked in service.

Didn't actually know that, hence me having a look whilst there. Guess I must have missed the postings regarding that......

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Here it is Thursday 20th, I wonder what's happening with them.

Just been through a few enthusiast pages. Certainly seems like some think they’re withdrawn and out.

For me, think they’re simply not required for now and may even start to run from next week now that we know a Monday to Friday service is coming back. It’s anyones guess really though. Do I think their time at Lothian is going to be much longer? No, probably a year (or even two if you pushed it) at absolute most.

According to Lothians own fleet list only 347-350 remain in the fleet (with 347 interestingly apparently with ECB, not sure about that one) and I’m not mistaken only 4 B5TL’s are left to enter service (691, 694, 697 and 698) - a like for like swap numerically possibly with some transfers to Marine to fill the gaps (likely including 425).

CN04NRJ

Established Member
52 and 53 look excellent in their new livery, looks like they're ready to go.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
also notice 195 is back from Seafield.
That must be the first time I’ve seen it away from Seafield for around a year now. Good chance it had moved previously (probably to Marine) and back in that time but certainly the first time I’ve seen elsewhere.

I’ve seen a couple of photos of 52 now and it looks great. Interestingly like 591-594 these have no advert frames. Although while 591-594 used to, the Eclipse 3’s have obviously only ever had the promotional places rear adverts.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
That must be the first time I’ve seen it away from Seafield for around a year now. Good chance it had moved previously and back in that time but certainly the first time I’ve seen it away from there.

I’ve seen a couple of photos of 52 now and it looks great. Interestingly like 591-594 these have no advert frames. Although while 591-594 used to, the Eclipse 3’s have obviously only ever had the promotional places rear adverts.
195/196 only moved to Seafield in October. Before then, they were parked at Marine at the back for over a year. 591/4 are the only two of the 4 that got advert frames when painted into the original Lothiancountry livery, (only side ones though) and still retain them in their new liveries. It is odd seeing 592/593 without any advert frames. I am a keen fan of the lack of advert frames on single deckers, not so much on doubles however.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
195/196 only moved to Seafield in October. Before then, they were parked at Marine at the back for over a year. 591/4 are the only two of the 4 that got advert frames when painted into the original Lothiancountry livery, (only side ones though) and still retain them in their new liveries. It is odd seeing 592/593 without any advert frames. I am a keen fan of the lack of advert frames on single deckers, not so much on doubles however.
I figured 195-196 had probably moved about, I had just never seen it. I think there’s a few pics at Marine as well though. They’ve been out of use for at least a year now - and also spent around a year out of use prior to the creation of ECB. 195 then also spent time out of use when ECB gained more buses (I think it may have been after then 10051-10065 were delivered) and then was brought back out after they gained the 39/40 from Lothian (becoming 139/140). Factor in COVID too, all in all they’ve probably spent around 2 and a half to 3 years lying idle. While their mileage is probably higher than others from the city, I think there’s a chance these two in particular may last longer than other single deckers of a similar age.

For me I’m not a fan of missing advert frames, I don’t mind if the frame is empty but it looks too bare without the frame. Likely down mostly to the increase in the amount of white in the livery compared to previous versions. I agree it looks worse on the doubles, again probably because of the white.

389 for example hasn’t had a rear frame since it was repainted, I assumed it would regain a full rear advert but never has. Despite this, 399-400 and a few others have gained full rear adverts (while having frames) in that time.

scosutsut

is 195 in new East Coast livery. I note that it has 10195 as a fleet number in the picture.
Zooming in it appears not, it still wears the original ECB livery of allover grey with a thin green band at skirt level (rather than the angular Fleet of the Future pattern grey/green one that 10053 / 53 has just been painted out of.)

All of 10195-99 and the now departed ex Arriva Fastlink examples were left in this original pattern livery which was also worn by the Tridents and all-but-one of the B7TLs that again have all long since left the fleet.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Seems as if more of the original batch of B5TL’s are having Hanovers fitted, just seen 411 with one and I’d imagine others have had them done as well. 401-406 were the only ones I knew of so far and obviously we know the situation with 405 too. Had also wondered if 422-424 have had them prior to repaint?

Hopefully 441-465 can have announcements fitted at some point, with 551-570 getting newer ones too. Not sure if 401-425 could have them fitted (or something similar) though with the different body. I do remember only some of 401-425 ever having them, and I’m sure none of them had them when they first entered service. Can’t remember what the issue was though.

Does look like these revised Mobitec displays are on their way out though.